SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Quick Reference & How-To's > How do you keep track of your series?

Comments (showing 201-250 of 332) (332 new)    post a comment »

message 201: by Sandra, Winter is Here ...brrr (new)

Sandra | 14487 comments See you got me Elle; good :)

message 202: by Regina (new)

Regina (ReginaR) | 2717 comments Louise-Lesley wrote: "Hello!

I hope people don't mind me adding them on fictfact. I think I have like 2 friends so far...

I'm http://www.fictfact.com/user/DelorisPea

And I hope I can join in.

I normally stick all th..."

You just added me and I just added you right back. :)

message 203: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1127 comments Added you too Louise.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) I use FictFact and Goodreads. I have a part of a series shelf, and I love that Goodreads notates series now.

message 205: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 70 comments Online I use FictFact & Goodreads. At home I have a small (index size) 2 ring binder that uses index cards, and I write the author on a index card and the books by that author on it. I put a check next to the books I own and put a line through the check of the ones I've read. I found alphabet dividers that fit and use them to keep the authors in alpha order (not within the letter, I don't have that much patience or time). I used to use a small spiral notepad but the pages would get freyed and fall out and when I added a new author I couldn't put the author in alpha order so I was buying books I already owned.

message 206: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 70 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I use FictFact and Goodreads. I have a part of a series shelf, and I love that Goodreads notates series now."

I didn't know that Goodreads now denotes series. Good to know, Thanks.

message 207: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19469 comments That's something I've thought about several times, Missyb. (Using index cards) But, at this point, I think it'd take me too long to write them all up. Thankfully I found a computer program that helps me track mine. I can type 10x faster than I can write.

Missyb wrote: "I didn't know that Goodreads now denotes series."
Oh yeah! That was one of my favorite changes made by GR. A big help!

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 4550 comments Which program are you using Steph?

message 209: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (Wckdktty) | 18 comments Ok, I just glanced through here, so this may be a repeat.

Calibre is a great program. It has both Mac and PC and even one to go for tablets and like.

It converts, lists, tags, has covers, lists series, when you input them, allows for custom organization as well.

So just my 2 cents.

message 210: by Sandra, Winter is Here ...brrr (new)

Sandra | 14487 comments True, Steph is referring to a specific Mac program though that she uses, which I'm pretty sure she listed earlier in the posts.

message 211: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19469 comments I use Calibre to change the format of a book occasionally so that it works better on my preferred eReader app. But, yeah, I use BookPedia (for Mac) to track and organize all my books.

message 212: by Emma (new)

Emma (Jellicoe112) | 5 comments As I mainly buy ebooks these days, I use the free software Calibre to keep track of the books I've read. Its a really handy tool which allows you to create shelves using 'tags' and link books in a series. I'm using the FicFact calendar to keep track of new releases and goodreads to source new books I want to read.

message 213: by Don (Mad Davy) (new)

Don (Mad Davy) (donalbane26) | 92 comments I originally started off tracking my books and series with Librarything then found FictFact. I was "recently" told about Goodreads by the owner of a used bookstore.

Now, I mostly keep Goodreads up to date and update the other sites when I think to.

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 4550 comments Lol. Don is a Bleach fan!

message 215: by Don (Mad Davy) (new)

Don (Mad Davy) (donalbane26) | 92 comments Why yes, yes I am. :P

message 216: by Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ (last edited Mar 09, 2012 01:04PM) (new)

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 4550 comments 16 seasons and 363 episodes. This season is better, more story in each episodes.

message 217: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (last edited Mar 11, 2012 06:41AM) (new)

Judithe | 5598 comments LOL...that's a fun one.

I'm more of a Konan fan... Case Closed, Volume 1 by Gosho Aoyama (watching it at this very moment, in fact!~but not the linked book)

message 218: by Creative (last edited Mar 20, 2012 01:56AM) (new)

Creative Mind | 2 comments I just joined FictFact!! Feel free to add me:
http://www.fictfact.com/user/Creative...

message 219: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 5598 comments Hmmm...link keeps sending me back to my GR homepage...

message 220: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19469 comments Hi, Creative, welcome to the group! It looks like you've added your link in the "text" part of the HTML when adding links. If you just post your link, without using GR's "add hmtl" you'll be good to go. :)

message 221: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19469 comments Great news! FictFact's newsletter states they are working on a mobile app, due out in Spring 2012! I CANNOT wait! I'm so excited! Guess that means I need to hurry up and update my lists. This will be super handy when shopping.

Here's more info: http://blog.fictfact.com/post/1960080...

message 222: by Creative (new)

Creative Mind | 2 comments Steph wrote: "Hi, Creative, welcome to the group! It looks like you've added your link in the "text" part of the HTML when adding links. If you just post your link, without using GR's "add hmtl" you'll be good..."

Thanks for pointing that out! :)
I hope now the link works!!

message 223: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 5598 comments Great news!! Off to check it out!!! Want it NOWWWWWWWW

message 224: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19469 comments Gotcha, Creative. :)

Me too, Judithe! Can't wait!

message 225: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 70 comments Steph wrote: "That's something I've thought about several times, Missyb. (Using index cards) But, at this point, I think it'd take me too long to write them all up. Thankfully I found a computer program that h..."

Is your list portable? I don't have an iPhone/smart phone. I can take my index card 2 ring binder into stores so I don't buy a book I already have. If the Nook had a program that I could enter books I have and ones I want to get, then I might ditch my index binder. I could easily take my Nook with me shopping.

message 226: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19469 comments It is, but not able to update any longer. Amazon put the kabosh on the app awhile ago and won't allow the software company to use their search engine for info any longer. Blast! But, I have GR with me, so I try to keep that one updated. I'm VERY anxious for FictFact's mobile app for this very reason. Still, I like your index card idea, it's just a little late in the game for me to switch to that.

message 227: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 70 comments Steph wrote: "It is, but not able to update any longer. Amazon put the kabosh on the app awhile ago and won't allow the software company to use their search engine for info any longer. Blast! But, I have GR w..."

it took an evening while at my sister's house watching tv, and pushing the dog off my lap every time he tried to help me. I don't look at books without it. I have so many more books then I have e-books.

message 228: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19469 comments FictFact's mobile site is now live! It's great. I did a beta test and almost like it more than the full version mode. It allows you to do/see everything you can in the full mode. It makes checking and updating it while book shopping that much easier!

http://fictfact.us1.list-manage.com/t...

message 229: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 5598 comments Me, too!! Very happy!!!

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 4550 comments In some respect it is better than the full site. Very useful.

message 231: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19469 comments I agree, Val. I use it more often now that I have the mobile site available.

Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire | 101 comments I use good reads and I have a huge binder where I hand wrote all the books I have, which ones I've read and what I rated them. Whenever I get a new book, I add it to both places

message 233: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19469 comments Wow! I got a book lover's journal for Xmas and started to fill it in, but then got lazy and stopped. So many bought, wished for, read that it's hard to keep up w/pen & paper. I use BookPedia software and add to GR as I read + some wants, but not all my wants or haves are listed here.

message 234: by Marie (new)

Marie (acheron1981) | 6 comments i think looking at all ur answers i do mine the hard old fashioned way lol

i have an alphabetised folder with authors in order with each series they wrote and release dates (england usually gets them later than the rest of the world so bit behind u guys)
I check on fantastic fiction every week for new series and dates.
This site is awesome for my to be read lists thanx.

message 235: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Tempted By Books (michelletemptedbybooks) I have a running list in word on my computer, then I user fictfact and goodreads.

message 236: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 242 comments I use fictfact as well. It's great and you can organize it, get emails for your next book or for new releases. Really glad I stumbled across it.

message 237: by Ellese (new)

Ellese (FaithfulUmbrella) | 60 comments Oh wow that was a lot of information, lol. I just discovered goodreads so now I guess I will have to check out that fact site too...

I am rather meticulous about my series as well; however, I am not as high tech as most. Since I discovered Goodreads it has been a mad dash to try and add my entire collection to it (while trying to figure out just how to freaking do that!).

But I do it the old fashioned way too, by organizing them in the 3 1/2 book cases I have :) They are all in order from first to last, organized by the genre (mostly), and color. I'm a sucker for aesthetics :)

As for new releases? That is a bit tougher...I can't keep up with all of them, both financially and mentally. Some I just lose interest in after a while (curse of the ADHD mind...oh short attention span you wound me greatly)...others, like Laurel K. Hamilton, turn into the 24th book and you ask yourself, where the freak did I leave off at two years ago, 17? Schnikes!

Other than that, I have an amazon account that I abuse on a regular basis to remind myself of my most important books to get. Then comes good old fashion pen and paper :)

Well, now that I have talked your ear off, I'm going to sign off and maybe actually read a book in a series (oh say Kat Richardson's Downpour) :)

message 238: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19469 comments :) If we can help ya while you're feeling your way around GR, just holler.

As a series fanatic, one of the best GR features added to date (for me) has been the series lists. When you look up a book that is part of a series, it has a link to the series list/page (or it should).

For instance:
- When you go to Downpour's page: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/79..., notice after the blurb, ISBN and whatnot, you'll see "series Greywalker #6"
- If you click on "Greywalker #6", you'll go to the Greywalker series list page: http://www.goodreads.com/series/41939...
- This is one of the ways I check to see if any books are upcoming in my favorite series. It's also a good way to check to see if I've missed a prequel or other eShort somewhere along the way.

message 239: by Ellese (new)

Ellese (FaithfulUmbrella) | 60 comments Oh my good golly Cats N' Jammers! That is awesome!!! I will have to go check this out now with my other series, thank you!

And thank you for the offer of help, I may need it haha I just made one of my own shelves today, rather proud of myself actually lol

message 240: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19469 comments Fiction Database (FictionDB) came out with an Apple app: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fictio...

message 241: by Mariana (new)

Mariana Bezerra | 5 comments I loved the mobile and it looks very clean. Loved this new app.
Steph wrote: "FictFact's mobile site is now live! It's great. I did a beta test and almost like it more than the full version mode. It allows you to do/see everything you can in the full mode. It makes check..."

message 242: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19469 comments Hi, Mariana. I love FictFact, whether online or off. I agree, their mobile site looks great and it's easier to use than the website, IMO.

Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 32 comments It's becoming harder and harder. Been thinking of making a book release calendar to hang on the desk! Will check out some of the above resources.

message 244: by Sandra, Winter is Here ...brrr (new)

Sandra | 14487 comments FictFact is good for that Erin, they email you with ones coming out that are in series you've already started, you'd only have to add 1st in series then.

message 245: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19469 comments Try this link, Erin. It's for FictFact's book release calendar :)
http://www.fictfact.com/BookReleaseCa...

message 246: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19469 comments GMTA :D

message 247: by Sandra, Winter is Here ...brrr (new)

Sandra | 14487 comments ;)

message 248: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19469 comments :)

Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 32 comments Thanks everyone, will do!

message 250: by Doreen (new)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Read, Remember, Recommend for Teens (other topics)
Case Closed, Volume 1 (other topics)
Downpour (other topics)