Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly > 2010-06 - Chick-Lit - Post June Reviews Here

Comments (showing 101-150 of 153) (153 new)    post a comment »

readinghearts (Lyn M) (lsmeadows) | 1921 comments Mod
Tina wrote: "Lyn M wrote: "Tina wrote: "I was so glad that 2 people shelved Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell as chick-lit so I could have the perfect excuse to read it (not that I really need an excu..."

I was wondering about that, Tina. I am looking forward to trying one of them. Probably North and South.

message 102: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments Lyn M wrote: "Tina wrote: "Lyn M wrote: "Tina wrote: "I was so glad that 2 people shelved Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell as chick-lit so I could have the perfect excuse to read it (not that I really..."

Good choice Lyn, I'd go with N&S first too--make sure you catch the BBC movie after you've read it. LOVED it too!

readinghearts (Lyn M) (lsmeadows) | 1921 comments Mod
Will do, sounds great.

message 104: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments Candiss wrote: "Soulless by Gail Carriger - As reviewed by an avowed enemy of chick-lit and a tolerator-at-best of supernatural romance.

**** (4 stars)

I thoroughly enjoyed my tim..."

I loved this review so much I had to go back and read it through a second time!

message 105: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments BJ Rose wrote: "Tina wrote: "I was so glad that 2 people shelved Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell as chick-lit so I could have the perfect excuse to read it..."

Another book added to Mount Wishlist, wh..."

No problem! Hope you like it!

message 106: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments Lyn M wrote: "Tina wrote: "The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton **** Engaging book about 5 women bonded together by marriage, children, changing times, and life. Fast paced, easy, enjoyable..."

It was good--interesting that they started out the friendship between the gals in the 60s, there was a lot going on in the world that the author worked into the storyline. Hope you like it too!

Christy (miss_c_3) | 35 comments Just finished Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty. 4 stars.

This was a very engaging young adult/chick-lit book. The lead character, Jessica Darling, is about to turn 16 and her best friend just moved away. This book is about her journey over the course of the year. The author did a wonderful job of creating a realistic voice for a 16 year old, a character who is quick-witted, sarcastic and genuinely fun to read about. I recommend this to anyone looking for a fun book to read this summer.

Christy (miss_c_3) | 35 comments Candiss wrote: "Soulless by Gail Carriger - As reviewed by an avowed enemy of chick-lit and a tolerator-at-best of supernatural romance.

**** (4 stars)

I thoroughly enjoyed my tim..."

Great review Candiss! I've added this to my TBR pile.

Blarneygod Slayermel wrote: "I just finished reading Sex and the City by Candace Bushnell and I gave it 2 Stars. I almost gave it 1 Star but there was one or two parts that made me laugh a little.

..."

I did not like this book either.

Blarneygod I loved The Sugar Queen. I have read all three full length books by this author and I love them all. All three were hard for me to put down. I am anxiously awaiting Sarah Addison Allen's next book! 5 stars

Rebel Angels was good but it did not pull me in the same way the first one in this series did. 3 stars

Karen (Karenofthebookworm) | 648 comments The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane****. I'm giving this four stars but it's really a three and a half star book. The historical part of the story is much better than the modern day part. It was an enjoyable and quick read.

Melissa (Melitious) I read Something Borrowed. I'm wavering on whether to give the book 3 or 4 stars. I finished the book in under two days, so it definitely had me sucked in, and I'm planning on reading Something Blue, but I found it hard to really root for the main character and I didn't really "get her" as a person. So, for the time being, I'll give it three stars.

Arlene | 145 comments I read For the Roses. It was a cute Western romance combining Montana with a bit of English mystery.

Arlene | 145 comments For my next book I read a Nora Roberts classic The MacGregor Grooms. Daniel MacGregor can't stand to see his grandsons in an unmarried state, so he finds brides for them. They don't know what he has done until it is too late. This book tells the stories of three of them.

message 115: by Tara (new)

Tara | 740 comments I finished The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella and just like Slayermel gave it ***.
This was a nice "Twilight Fix," although it took me a bit to remember who Bree was. I do think that this story will most likely be incorporated into the movie so I think it was definitely worth the read for me.
I will have to admit it took me until about 1/2 way through before I really got into the story, but I loved the ending especially as the fight got closer. It was really interesting to see her side of the story and how she saw the Cullen's and the Volturi.
I also agree that the characters were not developed as much as I would have liked... I think that is why it took me a while to get into the story since I did not remember a lot about Bree. She was kind of weak. She mostly survived by hiding.
If you want a "Twilight fix" like I did, the free e-book is definitely a good choice.

Karen (Karenofthebookworm) | 648 comments In the Woods***. While I liked the story I didn't like the characters. I figured out fairly early on who was responsible for the murder but not who they had convinced to commit it.

Not sure why somebody had this listed as chick-lit but I had picked it for the bookshelf challenge so two birds one stone.

message 117: by Slayermel, On Maternity Leave (new)

Slayermel | 656 comments Mod
That's too funny Karen, now it's on the chick-lit shelf and the psychology shelf *laughing*
What a combo :0D

Christy (miss_c_3) | 35 comments Natasha wrote: "Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. 4 stars.

A very good book. Very emotional. You can feel Melinda's pain and you can sympathize with it to some extent. I like that she seemed like a no..."

I read this book several years ago and loved it. It was very emotionally moving and really felt like the reactions Melinda had were realistic. I've seen a movie on this one as well. I think it was on lifetime a couple years back and it starred Kristin Stewart (of Twilight).

Karen (Karenofthebookworm) | 648 comments Three Weeks to Say Goodbye***

This was a good book with lead characters that I was rooting for. I was also hoping that the judge and his waste of good oxygen son got exactly what was coming to them.
While the book did have the ending that I thought it would that were certain things that happened that i didn't expect. I can't really say anything about those events without giving it anything away so i'll just shut up now.

Melissa (Melitious) I followed up Something Borrowed with Something Blue. This one I am willing to give 4 stars, especially after the author managed to bring me back from the brink of putting the book down, because of how much I disliked the main character. In the end, both the author and the main character redeemed themselves and I ended up really liking the story.

Luann (AZbookgal) | 988 comments Mod
Crystal wrote: "A Hollywood Ending by Robyn Sisman2*

Barely okay. It appeared that the author purposely made the main character have plenty of room for growth at the beginning. She st..."

I just finished Weekend in Paris by Robyn Sisman and can't even go as far as "barely okay." I gave it one star, although if we had half stars I MIGHT have gone as high as 1.5 stars - due to the descriptions of Paris and some interesting literary references. Other than that, there's nothing of substance here. I was probably a little harsh in my review, but you're welcome to read it if you like.

message 122: by Lynne, On Sabatical (new)

Lynne (Lmsindel) | 573 comments Mod
Here is my review for The Kitchen Witch (Accidental Witch Trilogy, #1):

It was hard to decide whether to give this book 3 or 4 stars becasue it was hard to decide whether I like it a lot or just liked it.

The reasons I would give it 3 stars are that it started a little slowly for me, and I would have liked more of the book to be about passion and less about lust (but that is just me). On the plus side here, I have to tip my hat to Ms. Blair for coming up with so many euphamisms for an erection. What an imagination! :)

I would have to give the book more than 3 stars, however, because by the end of the story I really found myself rooting for the main couple to get together. There were about 6 characters who played large parts in the story and all were well developed and likable. Plus the "other woman" was pleasantly unlikable, just as she should be in this type of fluff.

Although not my favorite book by any means, it was a fun summer read and I will probably read the other two books in this series

Crystal Luann wrote: "Crystal wrote: "A Hollywood Ending by Robyn Sisman2*

Barely okay. It appeared that the author purposely made the main character have plenty of room for growth at the b..."

Thanks for the review. I also had looked at the "Weekend" book at some point, but luckily chose another book instead. I am glad I avoided it. I am fairly certain I won't give that author another try.

Luann (AZbookgal) | 988 comments Mod
Crystal wrote: "I am fairly certain I won't give that author another try."

Same here! There are just too many other books out there to enjoy.

message 125: by Tina (last edited Jun 23, 2010 08:03PM) (new)

Tina | 231 comments I started A Great and Terrible Beauty (something's off with the add book/author link) liking it--I thought the author had some great one-liners that had me chuckling, and the storyline was interesting. Then, I got bored. Then, I thought it picked up. Then I got bored again. Then I was interested. Then I was bored. Then interested--see the pattern? Overall, it was good, but dropped my attention in parts. Additionally, I would have liked to have seen the characters having more growth in their relationships with each other. I gave it *** stars.

Coralie | 390 comments I was looking forward to reading The Shop on Blossom Street because it's about knitting and I love knitting. But I couldn't find anything to like in the book. I didn't identify with any of the one-dimensional characters. The constant changing of the focus, with nothing but the most superficial experience of each character, left me feeling constantly unsatisfied.

I don't think chick-lit is my genre.

Melissa (Melitious) Tina wrote: "I started The Great and Terrible Beauty (something's off with the add book/author link) liking it--I thought the author had some great one-liners that had me chuckling, and the storyline was intere..."

The whole series is like that. The last book is the worst with the up and down!

message 128: by Amy (new)

Amy | 669 comments I just completed the audio book of Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater and give it 3 1/2 stars. The story is along the lines of the Twilight series but with werewolves only. It wasn't quite as absorbing as the Twilight books for me, but it was still enjoyable.

message 129: by Tina (last edited Jun 23, 2010 08:09PM) (new)

Tina | 231 comments I just finished The Postmistress by Sarah Blake and thought it was great! I gave it **** stars. I wouldn't necessarily call it chick lit as it was a moving book where I teared up, but the author did a fantastic job giving her characters depth and weaving the storylines together. It reminded me along the same genre lines as The Help and Sarah's Key (two other great books).

Cathy | 90 comments I finished reading Fannie FlaggDaisy Fay and the Miracle Man which I wouldn't have chosen except my husband picked it for me at a second hand bookstore. It was quite an engrossing story of a young girl growing up poor with a difficult homelife in a small town. It was simply told with humour and a kind of sweetness - a more likeable american coming of age story than Catcher in the Rye.

Blarneygod I give Bridget Jones's Diary 3 stars. I loved the movie and was disappointed in the book. I very quickly got sick of Bridget whining about being single and obsessing about her weight. Because the book was done in the form of journal entries it also had a very disjointed feel to it and never really flowed. The second half of the book did pick up when things started to actually happen in the story instead of Bridget just ranting about things. This wasn't a bad book, but I liked the movie much better.

message 132: by Slayermel, On Maternity Leave (last edited Jun 24, 2010 07:43AM) (new)

I finished The Thirteenth Tale and gave it 5 Stars

This is one of the best books I've read in some time, I hung off of every page. It's a story in a story. Margaret a young Biographer is called to do the biography of one of the best selling novelists Vida Winter. Ms. Winter has never told her story before so there is a lot of intrigue there. This book is filled with mystery after mystery and you’re trying to put it all together and then the end comes and you’re sitting there with your mouth open going "I didn't see that coming". It was just wonderful, and I loved it, and I'm keeping it too re-read again in the future. :0)
I would recommend this book to anyone. I loved her writing style, you feel like your right there watching what's going on and the characters she describes, you feel like you know them all so well.

I still have to write a review for it because I'm still rolling it all over in my mind, but your welcome to stop by my books and check for it in a couple of hours. :0)

message 133: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments Slayermel wrote: "I finished The Thirteenth Tale and gave it 5 Stars

This is one of the best books I've read in some time, I hung off of every page. It's a story in a story. Margaret a young Biogra..."

I liked it too :)

message 134: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments Melissa wrote: "Tina wrote: "I started The Great and Terrible Beauty (something's off with the add book/author link) liking it--I thought the author had some great one-liners that had me chuckling, and the storyli..."

Hmmmmm, maybe I'll skip out on them!

Crystal Tina wrote: "Slayermel wrote: "I finished The Thirteenth Tale and gave it 5 Stars

This is one of the best books I've read in some time, I hung off of every page. It's a story in a story. Margare..."

5* I just finished it about 10 minutes ago and loved it. I have that feeling that I shouldn't start another for a bit to give it time to sink in really well and not be disturbed. P. 289 "Do you know the feeling when you start reading a new book before the membrane of the last one has had time to close behind you? You leave the previous book with ideas and themes--characters ever--caught in the fibers of your clothes, and when you open the new book, they are still with you." Just really loved it. Was it on the chic lit list? I was reading it for the books from 20 lists challenge instead.

message 136: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments Crystal wrote: "Tina wrote: "Slayermel wrote: "I finished The Thirteenth Tale and gave it 5 Stars

This is one of the best books I've read in some time, I hung off of every page. It's a story in a st..."

I saw your post and checked--it's been filed as chick lit. You can check by clicking on the book and on the right hand side is where they list the shelves, it was on the fifth page, 8 people actually shelved it as chick lit. Who would have thought!

That's a good quote. I've just finished up with Man's Search for Meaning (surely not chick lit, but I've not checked :) and I've got the feeling of concentration camp and deep inner reflection in the fiber of my clothes.

Crystal Tina wrote: "Crystal wrote: "Tina wrote: "Slayermel wrote: "I finished The Thirteenth Tale and gave it 5 Stars

This is one of the best books I've read in some time, I hung off of every page. It's..."

I have that (Man's Search) on my list to read also. I am always a bit apprehensive about the concentration camp books because they can be seriously difficult to read without sinking into the pure anguish of it all. Isn't it funny how some settings, characters, themes etc... seem to just cling to you for awhile? It's like they leave a residue, and I am not always feeling up to that type of stuff stuck in my fibers.

That quote and many more about reading was one of the things that made the book for me. It was so much about the interaction of readers with stories either in the telling of them or the consumption of them.

Karen (Karenofthebookworm) | 648 comments The 19th Wife**** would have been five but I thought the modern day part of the story was weak. However I really liked the historical part of it was really good and I wanted to know more about Ann Eliza Young, when did she die and how also where is she buried. I'd also like to know more about what happened to Gilbert after he left Utah and what happened to his wives and children.

message 139: by Slayermel, On Maternity Leave (new)

Crystal, I also loved many of the quotes on reading in the book. I guess as a book lover and constant reader it's nice when someone finds a way to verbalize how books really make you feel.

I was also very surprised to see the book had been listed as chick lit, I would shelve it as mystery but I guess in some peoples mind if you read a book and you’re a girl it now qualifies as chick lit. :op

I've always found books about concentrations camps depressing but fascinating at the same time. I think in my mind I'm always trying to understand what would make humans behave so horribly, we as a species are definitely a complicated bunch yet ever so interesting. :0p
I think that’s one of the reasons I loved “The book Thief” so much, you can see how the family wanted to help Max and did their best to keep him safe, yet they lived in constant fear of being caught as the punishment would be severe.

Sarah | 234 comments The Secret Life of Bees
4 stars

I loved this book. It was beautiful, bittersweet, heartbreaking and life affirming. I loved the beautiful poetic language and the wonderful images invoked with just a few words.

For 10 years Lily has lived with the belief that she accidentally killed her mother when she was 4 years old. The week the US Civil Rights Act was signed she runs away from her abusive father with her black housekeeper and goes to live with three black women who keep bees.

The book deals with friendship, depression, equality, love and the power of women. I highly recommend it.

message 141: by Amy (last edited Jun 25, 2010 09:09PM) (new)

Amy | 669 comments Finished two from this list yesterday:

The Spellman Files (***) - I liked the book, but felt that it dragged a little bit in the middle. It is along the lines of a Stephanie Plum (Evanovich) novel, but not as funny. The characters are a quirky family of private investigators who spend more time tailing each other than criminals.

Addition (****) - This book tells the story of a woman who became mentally unhinged after a childhood trauma. She is fixated on numbers and must count things to remain functional. The way the author described this woman's daily life and relationships was very interesting and really touched me.

message 142: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments I just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See and loved it. I thought that the author did a great job of creating a believable relationship between Snow Flower and Lily in a time and culture that is so foreign to our Western thinking. Well written and engaging. I'll be recommending this one to my friends to read for a long time. I gave it 4 stars, but would have given it 4.5 if I could have.

PS: After reading about foot binding, I really don't think I can whine about the blister I got on my toe yesterday.

Blarneygod I gave The Bridges of Madison County 3 stars. This was a quick and enjoyable read (even though it was sad at times). The story flowed like a poem in its tempo and wording, which was pretty but was a bit much for my taste. I liked the characters but didn't get pulled into the their story as much as I would have liked. Overall though it was a pleasant and well written story.

message 144: by Cathy (last edited Jun 27, 2010 09:00PM) (new)

Cathy | 90 comments Coralie wrote: "I was looking forward to reading The Shop on Blossom Street because it's about knitting and I love knitting. But I couldn't find anything to like in the book. I didn't identify with a..."

Have you read
The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs? I can't knit but I loved this - made me wish I could!!!

Coralie | 390 comments Cathy wrote: "Coralie wrote: "I was looking forward to reading The Shop on Blossom Street because it's about knitting and I love knitting. But I couldn't find anything to like in the book. I didn't..."

Yes, I've read The Friday Night Knitting Club and liked it. There is more knitting in it than The Shop on Blossom Street with a greater range of knitting levels. I also found the characters more sympathetic and the ending wasn't quite so unbelievably happy ever after.

message 146: by Eden (new)

Eden (Eden-pie) | 15 comments The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, was well written book, but i think i would have liked it more if i was in the age group of the girls in the book. I do however wish that there was more details of each event rather then a hit of what had happened. Overall I think this book was good, but not great and i think i might go on to read the others to see if i change my mind.

message 147: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments Vanity Fair What I loved about this book: the characters are people I know--the backstabbing ambitious conniving woman, those eaten by pride, the vain, the lonely, the desperate, the ones who are are in love with someone they can't have, the one who is in love with an unrealistic memory and who just can't let go--sounds like the cast of a tv show, doesn't it? Heck, it sounds like my old neighborhood. ;)

I loved the twists and turns of the plot--it was a soap opera on paper. One minute the characters had hope, the next it was dashed. I was wondering till the end. I loved that the end didn't bring a happily ever after, yet I was still satisfied (and usually I really want the happily ever after for my characters, so well done!).

What I didn't love: it felt that sometimes the author would get lost in the insignificant details. I felt that 200 pages could have been knocked off of the book, easy. That's about it. It was a great book. Time well invested!

Suzanne | 11 comments I read Agnes and the Hitman earlier in the month but am just getting around to writing a review here. I absolutely loved this book and gave it 4 stars! The characters were quirky yet loveable, especially, well, Agnes, and the Hitman (Shane). The plot twisted and turned and then twisted again - better than a roller coaster ride. Some great one-liners and zingy retorts; I laughed out loud several times. I've read and enjoyed a lot of Jennifer Crusie's books and Agnes is now one of my very favorites, along with Faking It. A rollicking good read!

message 149: by Tara (new)

Tara | 740 comments I read The Spellman Files too! I gave it 3 stars. I really enjoyed this story about a crazy but loving family. It was a great book for summer and beside the pool.

Blarneygod I just finished Love Walked In last night and give it four stars. I loved the relationships between Clare and her mother and Clare and Cornelia. These relationships sucked me into the story, but sometimes I got lost in the writer's flowery prose and Cornelia's chaotic logic process. Overall though it was an enjoyable read about how people can become family without the bond of blood.