SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

General Discussion > If you haven't yet, START THIS SERIES!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 367) (367 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (last edited May 22, 2010 09:21PM) (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18086 comments Got some all-time favorite series you want to make sure everyone knows about too?

Share them here!

message 2: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (last edited May 22, 2010 09:23PM) (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18086 comments Some of my must-read-upon-release series are:

Night Huntress & Night Huntress World by Jeaniene Frost
Alpha & Omega & Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs
Black Dagger Brotherhood by JR Ward
Demonica by Larissa Ione
Guild Hunters by Nalini Singh
Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews
Lords of the Underworld by Gena Showalter
Riley Jenson, Guardian by Keri Arthur
Sookie/Southern Vampire by Charlaine Harris

Book #1 of each series:
Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld,  #1) by Gena Showalter Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian, #1) by Keri Arthur Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris

Some of these addictions started back when the first book came out, but some of these series were only discovered by me within the last year. Never know when you'll find a new favorite!

message 3: by FlibBityFLooB (last edited May 22, 2010 09:41PM) (new)

FlibBityFLooB | 151 comments I haven't read the Gena Showalter series or the Demonica series yet... I definitely agree with your choices above, Steph :)

I would add:
Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill Storm Born (Dark Swan, #1) by Richelle Mead Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead

And, I also personally usually rush to read any of Katie MacAlister's dragon books. STarted originally with:
You Slay Me (Aisling Grey  Guardian, #1) by Katie MacAlister

message 4: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (last edited May 22, 2010 09:49PM) (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18086 comments Oh yeah ... Fever is one of mine too. That's another one that I started so late than I was able to read books 1-4 all at once. Love it when that happens b/c I hate waiting!

I really need to start the Aisling Grey series b/c there are other books further along that I have to read. Didn't realize they were all extensions of this series when I bought them.

Ooooh, I also forgot to add Shifters by Rachel Vincent!

Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent

message 5: by LooLoo (last edited May 31, 2010 03:47PM) (new)

LooLoo | 20 comments For a YA series I really like Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead

Also I would add Tempest Rising (Jane True, #1) by Nicole Peeler even though it's just the first in the series I loved it and the second book comes out the end of June.

Steph - our must reads are identical!

message 6: by chucklesthescot (last edited Apr 26, 2013 07:43AM) (new)

chucklesthescot | 78 comments Too many series! Love
Night Huntress by Jeaniene Frost
Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris
Women of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong
The Morganville vAmpires by Rachel Caine
Jaz Parks by Jennifer Rardin
Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs
Tales of an urban werewolf by Karen MacInerney

I have the first books in about another 25 series yet to read and am trying to get lots more I've heard about! Yes I admit it I'm an addict...

Angi | 423 comments Ah, it looks like all of mine were covered! :)

My favs are : Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder A Kiss of Shadows (Meredith Gentry, #1)  by Laurell K. Hamilton Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) by Simon R. Green

Melanie Shawl | 14 comments All of mine were covered too... but I would also add:

Guardians of Eternity by Alexandra Ivy
Lords of Satyr by Elizabeth Amber
Shadow Guard by Kim Lenox
The Atlantis Series by Gena Showalter

When Darkness Comes (Guardians of Eternity, #1) by Alexandra Ivy Nicholas (The Lords of Satyr, #1) by Elizabeth Amber Night Falls Darkly (Shadow Guard, #1) by Kim Lenox Heart of the Dragon (Atlantis, #1) by Gena Showalter

message 9: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18086 comments Angi, have you read the last few books of Simon Green's "Nightside" series? I was SO into that series initially, then it dropped for me. I have 1-2 here TBR and can't get excited about them. :(

LooLoo, Great minds, yah? :) I am lovin' "Vampire Academy", but need more. The last two books have left me feeling frustrated, then the wait begins again ... augh!

Melanie, I haven't read Showalter's "Atlantis" series, but have book 1 to give a go, we'll see if I ever get around to it or not. I also have some of Ivy's books TBR.

message 10: by AH (last edited Jun 06, 2010 06:00PM) (new)

AH | 1915 comments My question re series is: At what point should the author stop in the series? For example, I have read some series that have gone bad mid-series like the Anita Blake. I read the House of Night and by the 6 and 7th book I was screaming "enough already!"
Even series that I have loved like Vampire Academy got a little tiresome/frustrating by the 5th book for me. Are there any others to watch out for?

message 11: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18086 comments AH, that's a very good question. It's funny b/c I recently started a post called "All Good Things..." raising the opposite question. While there are definitely series I wish wouldn't/hadn't come to an end, there are some that (like the ones you've mentioned) SHOULD end.

I don't know when an author should decide to stop a series. Sometimes it's most definitely about what their publisher contracts them for, how many books, etc. But, some REALLY make me wonder what the publisher is thinking to keep it going. It truly amazes me when I see a series like "Anita Blake", "In Death" (can't think of others off the top of my head) that have 20+ and are still going. Although, I have heard TONS of raves about "In Death", so (lovers of the series, don't beat me up!) I'm not by any means comparing the two series, just their length.

Two series that bug me are "House of Night" and "Undead/Queen Betsy". While I really liked them both at the beginning, they are failing me now. I understand an author wanting to grow the characters, having a "plan" in mind for where they are headed, but sometimes it just seems like either "same sh*t, different day (problem/boyfriend/bad-guy)" and/or ?!? just lacking.

I can't think of any others that you should steer clear of, but more and more I'm thinking I'm glad I have never taken the "Anita Blake" plunge. :)

Kindlelicious | 39 comments I just started Shelly Laurenston's Pride series this week and have been utterly consumed. These books are a lot lighter than some listed here, but seriously cute and funny. Her Dragon Kin series (under GA Aiken) is also hysterical. I also didn't see the Immortals After Dark series anywhere, so I thought I would recommend those, they are great! Oh and of course the Dark Hunter series is great (but loooong).

Vered (veredi) | 41 comments Did someone mentioned The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins. Quite extraordinary.

And you're right about the length of some of the series. Maybe when you start adding two digits to the series name, you should really start thinking about THE END!

message 14: by Laura Lulu, Sadly Missed (new)

Laura Lulu (LauraLulu) | 1604 comments I buy books here & there, but I am predominantly a library girl. I get them pretty quickly if I get on the list before the books are released & usually I can wait to read the next in a series.

But these are my must buys--series I have to have the book in my grubby little fingers the day it's released.

Some have been mentioned:

Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris
Chicagoland Vampires by Chloe Neill
Fever by Karen Marie Moning

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning

And these have not been mentioned yet:

Cassie Palmer by Karen Chance
Dorina Basarab by Karen Chance
Sirantha Jax by Ann Aguirre

Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1) by Karen Chance Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1) by Karen Chance Grimspace (Sirantha Jax, #1) by Ann Aguirre

Vered (veredi) | 41 comments Laura, these are all my favorites too! Except Fever and Sookie, mainly bc I haven't read them yet :)

message 16: by AH (new)

AH | 1915 comments Fever is great. I'm on the 4th book and it's a keeper!

Vered - did you read Catching Fire yet?

Vered (veredi) | 41 comments AH wrote: "Fever is great. I'm on the 4th book and it's a keeper!

Vered - did you read Catching Fire yet?"

No not yet. I'm waiting for Mockingjay to be released :)

message 18: by Laura Lulu, Sadly Missed (last edited Jun 11, 2010 02:00PM) (new)

Laura Lulu (LauraLulu) | 1604 comments Vered wrote: "Laura, these are all my favorites too! Except Fever and Sookie, mainly bc I haven't read them yet :)"

Hmmm....well I guess that means you better read them. With our track record of liking the same books, they're pretty much sure bets. :)

Vered (veredi) | 41 comments Didn't we talk about a group reading of Fever during November, before the new release? I understand that the cliffhangers are killers :)

message 20: by AH (new)

AH | 1915 comments I found it at the library. Had to read it. There was a cliffie after book3 and I HAD to read it. And it is awesome.

message 21: by Laura Lulu, Sadly Missed (last edited Jun 11, 2010 04:08PM) (new)

Laura Lulu (LauraLulu) | 1604 comments Vered wrote: "Didn't we talk about a group reading of Fever during November, before the new release? I understand that the cliffhangers are killers :)"

Yes, the cliffhangers are stiffies, but I'm still alive, aren't I? :)

But yes, I do want to reread, at least the 3rd one, before Shadowfever comes out. Lots of info, I want it all fresh in my head when she answers the 80 bazillion questions we all have. :)

message 22: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18086 comments Ditto, Laura LuLu! I'll definitely be needing a reread before Shadowfever.

I can't wait for Mockingjay! Kinda wish I'd waited to read Catching Fire until closer to it's release, but oh well.

message 23: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 5297 comments Ahh...I have to add one of my favorites. Steph mentioned Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter series, which I also love, but I first fell in love with the Psy-Changelings one...new one coming out in less than a month! Bonds of Justice (Psy-Changeling, #8) by Nalini Singh. I think all my other faves have been mentioned above. Starting 2 new ones soon...Alexandra Ivy's and Larissa Ione's (they fit with a challenge...lol...and have seen good reviews...)

Vered (veredi) | 41 comments I hate cliffhangers! Hate them with a vengeance!!

Judithe, I've read mix reviews about Psy-Changelings, I take it you are in favor :)

message 25: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18086 comments I love Psy-Changelings. Esp the one I just recently finished: Branded by Fire. I started reading Nalini Singh's "Guild Hunter" series, Yz suggested P-C and I really like them. You should give 'um a try, Vered. :)

Hope you like Ione's "Demonica" series, Judithe.

message 26: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 5297 comments Just thrilled over starting a new series, and Demonica looks pretty interesting. It should be here about Thursday...have to get to the conveni and pay for my order!!!

And, Vered, I'm DEFINITELY in favor!! I love the series, and the author. Ms. Singh is very friendly and personable (only have e-mailed online)...authors who work hard at their series, and take good care of their fans are the greatest (know their are several others like that, but feel "kinship" with Ms. Singh as she used to live in my "adopted" country Japan). I always order her books as soon as a new one is available...even though I hate waiting....Can't wait for Hawke's story!

Vered (veredi) | 41 comments thanks Judith! I've pushed Psy-Changelings up :)
I think I'll start with the Guild Hunter, since I have both of them already, and work my way from there :)

message 28: by Laura Lulu, Sadly Missed (last edited Jun 17, 2010 11:58AM) (new)

Laura Lulu (LauraLulu) | 1604 comments The Psy-Changeling & Guild Hunter series don't have much in common except Nalini Singh's exceptional talent in writing sexy times. That woman has skills.

And Steph, Branded by Fire is one of my faves too, along with Caressed By Ice.

Vered (veredi) | 41 comments Sexy times is good enough common ground for me :D

message 30: by Laura Lulu, Sadly Missed (last edited Jun 17, 2010 12:41PM) (new)

Laura Lulu (LauraLulu) | 1604 comments Vered wrote: "Sexy times is good enough common ground for me :D"

I figured you'd be cool with that. You're easy to please. :)

Vered (veredi) | 41 comments That I am, easy =D

Leanna (Bookie10) | 1 comments I would have to add Christine Feehan's Ghostwalkers. The next book comes out in December!

Lara (eLBe) | 14 comments Saw quite a few in here I would throw in 2nd or 3rd votes for for anyone trying to decide - definitely Moning's Fever Series (been at #1 on my favs list for awhile now), 2nd would be Harrison's The Hollows Series. Others I loved were, Neill's Chicagoland Vampires, and of course Mead's Vampire Academy along with Frost's Night Huntress Series.

One I didn't see posted was a new one that just came out (Downside Ghosts) and I believe book 2 comes out on Tuesday. I couldn't put this book down and it was definitely different from all the others:

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane Unholy Magic (Downside, #2) by Stacia Kane

Kindlelicious | 39 comments I just finished Unholy Ghosts and I couldn't put it down either. It was a really great book, but beware: it will keep you up all night.

message 35: by Laura Lulu, Sadly Missed (new)

Laura Lulu (LauraLulu) | 1604 comments Cool. I just added them to my list. And I needed ghost books for a challenge, so yea! :)

Vered (veredi) | 41 comments Added Unholy Ghost and Shadow Game. Thanks!

Ebby Wilhelm (ebbunny) | 1 comments Ahhh... so glad I'm not alone- after reading what's been posted I definetly fit in with the reading material- I would also add just a few

Poison Studyby Maria V. Synder- first in trilogy, which is then followed by Storm Glass another trilogy that continues the saga from a different perspective

Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep- first in series- just finished it, and was so surprised at how good it was that I'm really glad that the second one is out now

The Scent of Shadows by Vicki Pettersson- this is a completely different type of read- and it's really good- so far there are 5 in the series.

Urban Shaman by C.E Murphy- one of my favorite series that I love to keep an eye out for when a new one comes out. Great blend of mythology, shamanism, and detective work. Love it!!!

Vered (veredi) | 41 comments Thanks Ebby!

Alisha (SchalaZeal) | 13 comments Vered wrote: "AH wrote: "Fever is great. I'm on the 4th book and it's a keeper!

Vered - did you read Catching Fire yet?"

No not yet. I'm waiting for Mockingjay to be released :)"

Smart, Vered. I'd gotten an ARC of Catching Fire but wasn't feeling so fortunate by the end. More like I wanted to cry for having to endure an even longer wait for book 3! ^__^

Vered (veredi) | 41 comments I can't stand cliffhangers!! I just don't know how to delayed gratification :) I don't have the capacity, I'm the delayed gratification abilityless!!!
How's that for a book title ;)

message 41: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18086 comments Welcome, Ebby! :)

I actually haven't read any of those series yet. I have book 1 for them all sittin' around TBR though. So many books, so little time! **my mantra**

Love it, Vered, I'm with you! H8W8NG! I want it NOW! hehe

message 42: by Sandra, Winter is Coming ... (new)

Sandra | 12784 comments Steph, as Ebby said you should read Poison Study and Spider's Bite soon. They are both good, and Web of Lies is already out now, too.

Vered (veredi) | 41 comments Steph wrote: "Love it, Vered, I'm with..."

H8W8NG = Hate, wait, no good ???

Alisha (SchalaZeal) | 13 comments "hate waiting" hehe it took me a few moments too. clever tho! ^_^

Vered (veredi) | 41 comments Nice!!!

:)

message 46: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18086 comments :) that used to my license plate on a Miata I had ... zoom, zoom, zoom, baby! Beep, beep, outta my way, slow poke! hehe

Sandra, I've made note to read those soon. Poison Study is in a challenge, so I know I'll read that one before too long. Now to make myself read Spider's Bite. :)

My "Must Read" is gettin' longer, ladies ...
☞ Dragon shifter recs
☞ Study Series
☞ Elemental Assassin Series
☞ Dark UF recs
☞ Chicagoland Vampires Series
☞ + many, many more!

sheesh! I gotta stop asking and start readin'! LOL!

message 47: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18086 comments Ebby wrote: "Ahhh... so glad I'm not alone- after reading what's been posted I definetly fit in with the reading material- I would also add just a few

Poison Studyby Maria V. Synder- first in tr..."

Ok, Ebby, I'm try to get Spider's Bite into a challenge for July (to make myself read it) and need to ask ... where's it take place? Rural or fantasy location by chance? Say yes, say yes LOL!

message 48: by Sandra, Winter is Coming ... (new)

Sandra | 12784 comments Sorry Steph, its 'Urban' - Ashland (town/city/whatever) east of the Mississippi. Has fantasy elements ie Air Elementals, Stone Elementals, Ice Magic etc.

Its really good, you'll find a way to read it. Go on. I know you can do it. :)

message 49: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18086 comments Yeah, yeah, I'll get to it, keep your nickers on. LOL! Thanks for the info though. :P doesn't fit where I was hoping.

message 50: by Jenny (last edited Jun 25, 2010 04:07AM) (new)

Jenny  (JennyBr) | 34 comments Off topic a bit here - Steph, how do you get these "☞"?? (I copied it but is there html?)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dead Until Dark (other topics)
Angels' Blood (other topics)
Full Moon Rising (other topics)
Moon Called (other topics)
Magic Bites (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Shirley Damsgaard (other topics)
Casey Daniels (other topics)