Romantic Historical Fiction Lovers discussion

NOMINATED RHF TITLES > BOOK NOMINATIONS

Comments (showing 401-450 of 587) (587 new)    post a comment »

Kelly_Instalove (instalove) | 11 comments Not quite finished with them yet, but all are definite keepers!

message 402: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Gaile (Kittygladu) | 251 comments Mod
Emery wrote: "I have just discovered Anthony Trollope's Palliser series starting with Can You Forgive Her? (Palliser, #1) by Anthony Trollope. (Thanks to new member Marcus!) Has anyone else read this? (I'm betting Misfit has!)I..."

i was just in the junk book shop today and saw a whole row of books by Anthony Trollope. One, an old leather bound edition is $30.00! There was a writer back in the 60's who wrote in the style of Anthony Trollope but I have forgotten his name.

message 403: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (AuthorEmeryLee) | 900 comments Mod
I Love musty old books but they can be expensive!

Agent Clone (agent_clone) | 7 comments Emery you should try buying books in Australia :S. Standard 'discounted' hardback release price is $AU35 or so, non discounted I think $AUD50. Trade paperbacks I think are usually about $AUD35. Mass market paperbacks anywhere from $AUD15-25 as a general thing...

Needless to say I try to buy books as ebooks (though region restrictions are annoying...), or at least wait until they're in mass market paperback...

For older out of print books unfortunately I tend not to buy those particularly when in a series as I hate not being able to get the whole series...

message 405: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Hey agent- Do you ever use THE BOOK DEPOSITORY? Most of the AUSSIES I know use them. Free worldwide shipping regardless of amount spent.

Agent Clone (agent_clone) | 7 comments No I haven't used them. I may in the future but I still like to go into book stores and purchase books and do random browsing, while I tend spend a lot of money on books I'm not 'too' fussed about it. Also most of the books I want to read I can get on ebooks, since I bought my dedicated ereader this is probably the easiest way to go about it. It leaves maybe 1 or 2 books a month to purchase from a shop.
Also going into bookstores supports local industry!

Bonnie I'd like to nominate Daughters of Rome by Kate Quinn. A really good historical with a little nice romance too. Daughters of Rome by Kate Quinn

message 408: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Thank you Bonnie! Your wish is my command. ;D

Sophie (Sophie_Perinot) | 5 comments Oh I totally second the Kate Quinn nomination. Loved "Mistress of Rome" as well!

message 410: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Hi Everyone! You've been far too quiet of late. I know everyone is reading but we have had very few book nominations. With over 700 in this group now I cannot possibly check out everyone's current book du jour, so please venture forth with some great RHF nominations! Christmas is coming soon. We need more great books as gift suggestions. Pretty pleaz.....

Misfit | 123 comments Haven't been reading that genre much lately. Although we could nominate Fortune's Son by...what was her name? I've had a chance to read an early copy and loved it.

message 412: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

For the record everyone- I did NOT bribe Misfit!!
Nevertheless I will most happily add Fortune's Son by Emery Leeto our group shelf as her nomination. ;D

Melissa Jarvis | 8 comments If anyone has read Past Her Time and liked it, I would love if you could nominate it. Thanks y'all! (Texas roots showing)

Bonnie I just got a really interesting book called Isolde, the first of a trilogy. I bet it's already on the list though.

Bonnie

message 415: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Bonnie wrote: "I just got a really interesting book called Isolde, the first of a trilogy. I bet it's already on the list though.

Bonnie"
Hi Bonnie- Who is the author and I'll check.

message 416: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Bonnie wrote: "I just got a really interesting book called Isolde, the first of a trilogy. I bet it's already on the list though.

Bonnie"

Rosalind Miles?

message 417: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Bonnie"

Thanks Bonnie (and Gaile)! We did not yet have this series on our shelf. I have added it as your nomination.

Kelly_Instalove (instalove) | 11 comments I finished Rules of Civility by Amor Towles a few days ago - it was pretty amazing.

Rules of Civility by Amor Towles

I gave it four stars, but I think I'm going to upgrade it to five because I'm still thinking about it more than a week later. Not a typical romance, but great love-triangle angst, a very atmospheric setting (1938 NYC) and some plot stuff I definitely did not expect.

I thought I was so smart picking up on all the literary and cinematic references. Then a few more pages, and another one pops up that somehow not only turns the previous ones around, but ties them all together at the same time. How in the hell do you authors do that?

I highly recommend it, and I'd love to hear what others think...

message 419: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Kelly wrote: "I finished Rules of Civility by Amor Towles a few days ago - it was pretty amazing.

Rules of Civility by Amor Towles

I gave it four stars, but I think I'm g..."

Kelly-Thanks so much for bringing this one to our attention. Looks like a great and unusual addition for our shelf!

message 420: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

The Love Knot by Elizabeth Chadwick
I have not seen this book on your list. Against the background of the civil war between Stephen and Matilda in the 12th century this is a beautiful love story with many twists and turns. See my review. I am wondering if you could add it to your list.

message 421: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Absolutely Gaile! Thank You!

message 422: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Emery wrote: "Absolutely Gaile! Thank You!"

Thank you too!

Jenny | 2 comments I would love to see Wolfskin and its sequel Foxmask by Juliet Marillier in the group shelf. "Wolfskin" is a heart-wrenching tale of Eyvind, a young Viking warrior, who has made an oath in blood and must decide whether to honor that vow and his gods or to follow his heart. "Foxmask" is the tale of a young Viking named Thorvald who is searching for the father he never knew after finding out that his father is not actually deceased but was banished from the land. A young woman, Creidhe, stows away in his boat because she cannot bear to be without him and is determined to make him love her back. These descriptions are very broad and vague because I believe any further description would spoil the surprise =)

message 424: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Jenny wrote: "I would love to see Wolfskin and its sequel Foxmask by Juliet Marillier in the group shelf. "Wolfskin" is a heart-wrenching tale of Eyvind, a young Viking wa..."
Hi Jenny!
Thanks for the nominations. I have sheleved these under "ancient era" and "Fantasy Elements"

Jewel | 40 comments I LOVE Marillier, have read all of her books!
LOVE "Foxmask"
I also recommend her sevenwaters series!
The first is based on "the Wild Swans" fairy tale. Excellent adaptation.

message 426: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

I have just read the first one. A page turner for sure but it was so full of sorrow!

Jenny | 2 comments I own all of her books. She is my absolute favorite author. I'm looking for books like hers... That's how I found this group =)

Bonnie I would like to nominate Rhys Bowen's Molly Murphy mystery series. It's set in the early 1900's in New York City. Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries #1) by Rhys Bowen

message 429: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Bonnie wrote: "I would like to nominate Rhys Bowen's Molly Murphy mystery series. It's set in the early 1900's in New York City. Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries #1) by Rhys Bowen"

Hi Bonnie! I have not read this series. It looks great but I wasn't clear if there is a romance involved.

Bonnie There is romance- with the police detective, who is introduced in the first book- and since this is years old series, not a spoiler, an engagement pretty quick in the series. It's not a fully resolved in one book romance though.

message 431: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Dec 01, 2011 07:42AM) (new)

Hi Everyone!
I read a great book this week that is the first in a Gerogian era "Crimeance" series I am nominating for our group book shelf.
Noble Satyr (Roxton Series #1) by Lucinda Brant
Here is a link to my review:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I also just learned the rest of the e-books books in this series are currently only $2.99 -Truly a bargain!

message 432: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Dec 06, 2011 11:49AM) (new)

I am shelvingThe Sometime Bride. This was a fabulous romantic historical reade! Here's a link to my review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Karla (MossyLoveGrotto) Just finished Crown of Desire by Marjorie DeBoer and I'm sure it qualifies as RHF. There's plenty of detail about the twilight of the Second Empire, as well as the Franco-Prussian War, and the Paris Commune. It's too heavy on the historical detail and political talk to rate as straight historical romance, and probably too "melodramatic" to be straight HF. It's a cross between the two, and a good one at that.

message 434: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

I am a little tired of series nominations. I then feel I have to read all the books in a series when often after the third or fourth one, I get bored. The only exception was the Lauren Willig series. That kept my interest. If the series doesn't go on after three or four books I might read them but more than four --- by then I want to read something else!

message 435: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Thanks Karla! I will shelf this book as your nomination. I am not familiar with this author. Have you read anything else by her?

Jackie (TheNightOwl) Has anyone read The Night Circus? We read it for my HF group and although there are no historical events that occur in the book it does take place in Victorian times. It's a very good book too!

Karla (MossyLoveGrotto) Emery wrote: "Thanks Karla! I will shelf this book as your nomination. I am not familiar with this author. Have you read anything else by her?"

No, I haven't. She wrote several Regencies set in either England or America.

message 438: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Jackie wrote: "Has anyone read The Night Circus? We read it for my HF group and although there are no historical events that occur in the book it does take place in Victorian times. It's a very goo..."

Hi Jackie- Does it also have a strong romance?

Jackie (TheNightOwl) It definitely does. I know the description talks about the magical competition, but the romance ends up influencing all the other events.

message 440: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Jackie wrote: "It definitely does. I know the description talks about the magical competition, but the romance ends up influencing all the other events."

I will shelf it as your nomination!

Jackie (TheNightOwl) yay! Thanks :)

message 442: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Under the Same SkyNominated by Kaki Warmer "I don't know if Genevieve Graham is a member of RHFL but if she's not, I'd like to suggest her book for the shelves: UNDER THE SAME SKY. It's being released today in Trade by Berkley, and is a very strong historical set in the Carolinas and Scotland in the mid-1700s. There is a psychic element, but in no way would I call it a paranormal. Beautifully written, authentic and well-researched. The romance is subtle, and there is a grittiness to the book that paints a pretty realistic picture of the times. I haven't read any of the Outlander series, but apparently Graham's book is along those lines."

message 443: by Kim (new)

Kim (Kcree) I'm currently reading The English Heiress by Roberta Gillis, and I'm really really enjoying it, so I'm nominating this novel!

message 444: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Kim wrote: "I'm currently reading The English Heiress by Roberta Gillis, and I'm really really enjoying it, so I'm nominating this novel!"

Thanks Kim!

message 445: by Jill (new)

Jill Emery wrote: "Under the Same SkyNominated by Kaki Warmer "I don't know if Genevieve Graham is a member of RHFL but if she's not, I'd like to suggest her book for the shelves: UNDER THE SAME SKY...."

@ Emery
I have a review up of -

Under the Same Sky Under the Same Sky by Genevieve Graham

message 446: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

I had thought Marsha Canham's novels, The Pride Of Lions, The Blood Of Roses and Midnight Honor were already on your list. Finding they are not, are they eligible?????

Bonnie I think you have to nominate them and get them on the shelf before they count. You have a year though!

message 448: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

I nominate these three: The Blood of Roses (Highlands, #2) by Marsha Canham The Pride of Lions (Highlands, #1) by Marsha Canham Midnight Honor (Highlands, #3) by Marsha Canham

message 449: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Gaile wrote: "I nominate these three:The Blood of Roses (Highlands, #2) by Marsha CanhamThe Pride of Lions (Highlands, #1) by Marsha CanhamMidnight Honor (Highlands, #3) by Marsha Canham"

Hi Gaile, we do already have those titles. If I have perhaps misclassified them, you can search our shelves by author name to find them.

message 450: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

I found it under the 18th century but it is not in my print out so I'm checking to see if I skipped a page. Sorry!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Two Suns in the Sky (other topics)
Outlander (other topics)
A Bed of Spices (other topics)
Helen of Troy (other topics)
The Tea Rose (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Diana Gabaldon (other topics)
Anita Diamant (other topics)
Jennifer Donnelly (other topics)