Romantic Historical Fiction Lovers discussion

NOMINATED RHF TITLES > BOOK NOMINATIONS

Comments (showing 451-500 of 589) (589 new)    post a comment »

message 451: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Gaile (Kittygladu) | 251 comments Mod
How about this one? If this one isn't on your list, I would like to nominate it. Treasure of Egypt Treasure of the Ancients (Volume 1) by Barbara Ivie Green

message 452: by Larisa (new)

Larisa (MsGodiva1) | 28 comments I'd like to nominate Deadly Vows (Francesca Cahill #9)for the Gilded Age book shelf. It wraps up the series and will be a good additional option for the 2012 reading challenge. As would the other books in the series that aren't on the list (one thru six, I think).

message 453: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (AuthorEmeryLee) | 900 comments Mod
Larisa wrote: "I'd like to nominate Deadly Vows (Francesca Cahill #9)for the Gilded Age book shelf. It wraps up the series and will be a good additional option for the 2012 reading challenge. As would the other b..."

Thanks Larisa! I'll add these.

message 454: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Oh darn. why couldn't he have placed East Of Eden somewhere before 1920? Maybe even the fifties?

message 455: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Would it be all right to nominate Lisa Kleypas Wallflower series? Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Devil in Winter (Wallflowers #3) by Lisa Kleypas Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4) by Lisa Kleypas Again The Magic (Wallflowers, #0.5) by Lisa Kleypas A Wallflower Christmas (Wallflowers, #5) by Lisa Kleypas

message 456: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Gaile wrote: "Would it be all right to nominate Lisa Kleypas Wallflower series?Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1) by Lisa KleypasIt Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2) by Lisa KleypasDevil in Winter (Wallflowers #3) by Lisa Kleypas[bookcover:Sc..."

Hi Gaile! I love these books as well but I don't think they are historical enough for this group.

message 457: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

which of her books is historical enough?? She is a very good author!

message 458: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Hi Gaile! She is a GREAT romance author. The question isn't the quality of the books but whether they include history.

message 459: by Larisa (new)

Larisa (MsGodiva1) | 28 comments Love Kleypas but wouldn't consider her historical. The wallflower concept is valid with American heiresses invading London for titles. But the Hathaways, as much as I *love* them (Cam! Pooka!), aren't historic.

message 460: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) What about the rest of the P.B.Ryan mystery series? You have the first one but not any of the others. For any one who is not familiar with them, this is a historical mystery series set in Boston and it is very good.

Murder in a Mill Town (Gilded Age Mystery, #2) by P.B. Ryan Death on Beacon Hill (Gilded Age Mystery, #3) by P.B. Ryan Murder on Black Friday (Gilded Age Mystery, #4) by P.B. Ryan
Murder In the North End (Gilded Age Mystery, #5) by P.B. Ryan A Bucket of Ashes (Gilded Age Mystery, #6) by P.B. Ryan

message 461: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Leslie wrote: "What about the rest of the P.B.Ryan mystery series? You have the first one but not any of the others. For any one who is not familiar with them, this is a historical mystery series set in Boston an..."

Hi Leslie! Do they all have strong romantic elements? If so, I will add them.

message 462: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (ladybugh) | 6 comments Emery wrote: "Leslie wrote: "What about the rest of the P.B.Ryan mystery series? You have the first one but not any of the others. For any one who is not familiar with them, this is a historical mystery series s..."

I would say that they all definitely do. I have just started the 5th book (Murder in the North End" and there has been a strong romatic element in each of the books. :-) I am really enjoying this series and will be sad when I am done but I just can't help speeding through it.

Melanie

message 463: by Suzan (new)

Suzan Tisdale (suzantisdale) | 20 comments I'd like to nominate the following:
The Bedeviled Heart

I just adore this book! It is exciting, romantic, and funny. In addition to that, it brings to the table the historical elements--The house of Stewart. I'm cheating and posting the blurb as I believe it explains it far better than I do. ;o)

Each of his politically arranged marriages had ended in disaster. And though he had never touched a one of his wives, he had come to believe that sharing his name would consign a woman to an early grave.

So, on the sunny spring day Cameron encounters a delightfully devious, bright-eyed lass selling charmed stones in one of Stirling's alehouses, he tosses her a shilling, thinking only to steal a kiss. But it is a kiss that will change his life forever.

To care for her ailing father, the precocious Kate Ferguson has resorted to swindling the drunkards of Stirling. But a chance meeting with a handsome and seductively mysterious outlaw named Cameron ends with a kiss that changes the course of her destiny.

But as dark times descend upon Scotland, Kate is inadvertently caught in a deadly web of court intrigue spun by the royal favorite, Thomas Cochrane. And as King James III falls prey to his fear of the Black Arts, accusations of witchcraft and treachery abound.

The fate of Scotland hangs in the balance, and while Cameron vows to defy destiny itself to hold Kate forever in his arms, he must unravel the plots of nobles and commoners alike to protect the country that he loves.

message 464: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Emery wrote: "Leslie wrote: "What about the rest of the P.B.Ryan mystery series? You have the first one but not any of the others. For any one who is not familiar with them, this is a historical mystery series s..."

I would call it a "romantic element" though they are not "romance" novels. She has a developing relationship with a character that is growing stronger in the two novels I've read so far.

message 465: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Larisa wrote: "Love Kleypas but wouldn't consider her historical. The wallflower concept is valid with American heiresses invading London for titles. But the Hathaways, as much as I *love* them (Cam! Pooka!), are..."I guess I'll have to think of something else!

message 466: by Jill (new)

Jill Hi Emery

I have a few suggestions for the bookshelves.
I've also posted a link to my reviews if anyone's interested.

Romantic biographical fiction -
The Woman Who Loved Jesse James The Woman Who Loved Jesse James by Cindi Myers

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

American frontier -
Dancing on Coals Dancing on Coals by Ellen O'Connell

Historical Romance -
A Lady Awakened A Lady Awakened by Cecilia Grant

(Even though ALA is HR, there is a lot of historical detail and descriptions of life in the country in Regency times)

message 467: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Jill wrote: "Hi Emery

I have a few suggestions for the bookshelves.
I've also posted a link to my reviews if anyone's interested.

Romantic biographical fiction -
[book:The Woman Who Loved Jesse James|1343538..."

Fabulous! Thanks, Jill!

message 468: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Leslie wrote: "What about the rest of the P.B.Ryan mystery series? You have the first one but not any of the others. For any one who is not familiar with them, this is a historical mystery series set in Boston an..."

Thanks Leslie! I have added these as your nomination.

message 469: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Suzan wrote: "I'd like to nominate the following:
The Bedeviled Heart

I just adore this book! It is exciting, romantic, and funny. In addition to that, it brings to the table the historical ele..."

Thanks Susan! I have added this as your nomination.

message 470: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Suzan wrote: "I'd like to nominate the following:
The Bedeviled Heart

I just adore this book! It is exciting, romantic, and funny. In addition to that, it brings to the table the historical ele..."

Susan, I went to add this but don't know what era it is set in. the description does not saw.

message 471: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Wynn | 5 comments I loved The Far Pavilions. History and romance just aren't combined like that any more and it's my favorite way -- the big event book.A big sweeping romance with lot of adventure and you learn some history the painless way.

This may not be the right place to announce this, but the hardcover editions of my first two Blue Satan mysteries are now available at publisher's cost $4.99 on www.discountmysteries.com as long as supplies last. Both are award-winning romantic stories set in early 18th century England. You might want to check out the site. Kathy Lynn Emerson's Diana Spaulding quartet is also on there. It is set in 1888 and inspired by the life of Nellie Bly. It also combines romance and history.

Patricia Wynn
A Killing Frost 2011
4th in the Blue Satan Mystery series

message 472: by Terry (new)

Terry | 5 comments I would like to nominate The Secrets of the Tudor Court series by Kate Emerson for our bookshelf. The books are The Pleasure Palace, Between Two Queens, By Royal Decree and At the King's Pleasure. I have read all of them so far and enjoyed them. They deal with the times, passion and intrigue in King Henry VIII's court.

message 473: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

I second that nomination!
Also Emery, I checked your entire 25 page bookshelf and did not find the three titles by Deanna Raybourne. Am I blind? Silent in the Grave (Lady Julia, #1) by Deanna Raybourn Silent in the Grave (Lady Julia, #1) by Deanna Raybourn Silent on the Moor (Lady Julia, #3) by Deanna Raybourn
I searched very carefully and they were not there.

message 474: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Wynn | 5 comments Well, is that a coincidence? I just posted about Kathy Lynn Emerson's mystery quartet and now you bring up her Elizabethan historical novels.I've read the first two of the Secrets of the Tudor Court series, which she writes under the name Kate Emerson and have enjoyed them both. She really knows the Tudor period, having written a long mystery series set in Elizabeth's reign. I recommend "The Secrets", too.

message 475: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Terry wrote: "I would like to nominate The Secrets of the Tudor Court series by Kate Emerson for our bookshelf. The books are The Pleasure Palace, Between Two Queens, By Royal Decree and At the King's Pleasure...."

Thanks Terry! Consider it done.

message 476: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie How about the Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig. I haven't seen any of them on the shelves but may have missed them. They start here, but most of the story is set during the Napoleanic cold war/spy times.

message 477: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Bonnie wrote: "How about the Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig. I haven't seen any of them on the shelves but may have missed them. They start here, but most of the story is set during the Napoleanic cold wa..."

Hi Bonnie,
This series is already on the shelves. You can either search by title or author if you are looking for a book.

message 478: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (ladybugh) | 6 comments Can you add the latest Lauren Willig for Napoleonic? It is called the Garden Intrigue. I just finished reading it and would like to add it for my RHFL challenge.

Thanks! :-)

message 479: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Melanie wrote: "Can you add the latest Lauren Willig for Napoleonic? It is called the Garden Intrigue. I just finished reading it and would like to add it for my RHFL challenge.

Thanks! :-)"

Sure Melanie!

message 480: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Emery wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "How about the Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig. I haven't seen any of them on the shelves but may have missed them. They start here, but most of the story is set during the Nap..."
thanks- for our challenge how would they count?

message 481: by Lea (new)

Lea (BuntingLA) Bonnie wrote: "Emery wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "How about the Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig. I haven't seen any of them on the shelves but may have missed them. They start here, but most of the story is set ..."

Are these good books? I keep picking them up in the library, so I'm curious.

message 482: by Gaile, co-librarian (last edited Mar 14, 2012 02:07PM) (new)

Lea wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "Emery wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "How about the Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig. I haven't seen any of them on the shelves but may have missed them. They start here, but most of th..."

I have read the entire series except the newest ones. I don't usually continue with a series after the third or fourth but I am sticking with this one. Lauren Willig is very good and these are on Emery's list.

message 483: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Lea wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "Emery wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "How about the Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig. I haven't seen any of them on the shelves but may have missed them. They start here, but most of th..."
They are. I don't actually like the modern story part- a grad student doing research on spies during the Napolian cold and not war times/French revolution. But the historical stories are fun and romantic. Kind of Scarlet Pimpernel style.

message 484: by Larisa (new)

Larisa (MsGodiva1) | 28 comments I would like to nominate 'Sweet Glory' by Lisa Potocar for the Civil War shelf. Just reviewed it, and there are more details on Kaki Warner's Virgins No More blog. There is romance, as in Under the Same Sky, it is chaste. Also nice to see the book tagged as romance, historical fiction.

message 485: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Larisa wrote: "I would like to nominate 'Sweet Glory' by Lisa Potocar for the Civil War shelf. Just reviewed it, and there are more details on Kaki Warner's Virgins No More blog. There is romance, as in Under the..."

Absolutely! Thanks so much, Larisa!

message 486: by Suzan (new)

Suzan Tisdale (suzantisdale) | 20 comments Emery wrote: "Suzan wrote: "I'd like to nominate the following:
The Bedeviled Heart

I just adore this book! It is exciting, romantic, and funny. In addition to that, it brings to the table t..."

This is historical romance...14th century...Scotland. ;o)

message 487: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

I just finished reading Skeletons At The Feast by Chris Bohjalian. This book about WWII and German refugees making their way west away from the advancing Russsian is not only full of history but also has a surreptious romance running through it that does end up happily ever after. This romance is full of danger and all the horrors of war but basic humanity in the end is all that manners. Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian
I would like to nominate this one for the WWII category.

message 488: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I read this long ago- it was actually my choice in a month long reading club I belong to. I really liked it, although tbh, it was more historical than romance by far. Still, there is a little as you said.

message 489: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Bonnie wrote: "I read this long ago- it was actually my choice in a month long reading club I belong to. I really liked it, although tbh, it was more historical than romance by far. Still, there is a little as yo..."

Deanna Rayborne's mysteries have very little romance. I would say almost none at all in the first two of the Lady Julia series. The romance doesn't really take off until the third book and even then it isn't exactly torrid so I don't see why Skeletons At The Feast wouldn't also qualify. After all Raybourn is on the list.

message 490: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie that's true. I didn't find it romantic, but other readers might. It is an excellent book to recommend either way.

message 491: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Suzan wrote: "Emery wrote: "Suzan wrote: "I'd like to nominate the following:
The Bedeviled Heart

I just adore this book! It is exciting, romantic, and funny. In addition to that, it brings to ..."

HI Suzan- I have added this title as your nomination!Thanks for taking the time. Emery

message 492: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Gaile wrote: "I just finished reading Skeletons At The Feast by Chris Bohjalian. This book about WWII and German refugees making their way west away from the advancing Russsian is not only full of history but al..."

Done! Thanks Gaile!

message 493: by Kagama-the Literaturevixen (last edited Mar 20, 2012 06:00AM) (new)

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 13 comments I would like to nominate The Oracle Glass
its set in 17th century France is based on a real historical even called "The affair of poisons"

The author takes some creative liberties with historical facts. But not enough for them to be glaring.

The romance itself is pretty subdued.And doesnt really happen for serious until youve read about half the book.

The heroine has an older sister who has a handsome admirer who the heroine becomes infatuated with herself. And the admirer has a friend who takes a liking to the heroine.

Its all a bit complicated. And while I love this book it has some parts that could be abit hard to take,like (view spoiler)

But it all ends happily :) I guess I like it because it is so different.

message 494: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Mar 20, 2012 06:18AM) (new)

Kagama-the Literaturevixen wrote: "I would like to nominate The Oracle Glass
its set in 17th century France is based on a real historical even called "The affair of poisons"

The author takes some creative liberties wi..."

Thank you , Kagama! I just found this title is already on our shelf. I will add your name to Rosie's as recommending it.

message 495: by Kagama-the Literaturevixen (last edited Mar 20, 2012 06:52AM) (new)

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 13 comments Emery wrote: "Kagama-the Literaturevixen wrote: "I would like to nominate The Oracle Glass

The auth..."

Well thats ok :)

I was also going to recommend The Bronze Horseman But you had it already on the list...

message 496: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 1 comments Kagama-the Literaturevixen wrote: "Emery wrote: "Kagama-the Literaturevixen wrote: "I would like to nominate The Oracle Glass
its set in 17th century France is based on a real historical even called "The affair of pois..."

I love The Bronze Horseman..That's all I've got. :)

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 13 comments Alyssa wrote: "Kagama-the Literaturevixen wrote: "Emery wrote: "Kagama-the Literaturevixen wrote: "I would like to nominate The Oracle Glass
its set in 17th century France is based on a real histori..."

Yep its a good one...but the first one is so heartbreaking.

I had no idea that the conditions in Russia during the WWII was so horrible.So many people slowly dying...

message 498: by Larisa (new)

Larisa (MsGodiva1) | 28 comments I'd like to nominate "The Lost Wife"by Alyson Richman and "The Baker's Daughter" by Sarah McCoy in the WWII category.

message 499: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Emery wrote: "Gaile wrote: "I just finished reading Skeletons At The Feast by Chris Bohjalian. This book about WWII and German refugees making their way west away from the advancing Russsian is not only full of ..."

In return, thank you Emery

message 500: by Terry (new)

Terry | 5 comments Hi Emery,

I would like to nominate Sister Queens by Sophie Perinot for our shelf. I am almost halfway through it and love the story - a parallel telling of the lives of Eleanor and Henry III and her sister Marguerite and King Louis of France. A beautifully written book that takes place during the 1200's and deals with the romance and/or lack thereof of the two sisters' marriages.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Two Suns in the Sky (other topics)
Outlander (other topics)
A Bed of Spices (other topics)
Helen of Troy (other topics)
The Tea Rose (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Diana Gabaldon (other topics)
Anita Diamant (other topics)
Jennifer Donnelly (other topics)