Romantic Historical Fiction Lovers discussion

NOMINATED RHF TITLES > BOOK NOMINATIONS

Comments (showing 538-587)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

message 587: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 6 comments Gaile wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Sons of Thunder

Has anyone nominated this book yet, takes place during WWII and afterwards, also features some of America's Jazz era, and the plight of immigrants who are just arrivin..."

Sorry about that, I had the book link up there but should have put the author too

message 586: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Vane (VictoriaVane) | 54 comments Gaile wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Sons of Thunder

Has anyone nominated this book yet, takes place during WWII and afterwards, also features some of America's Jazz era, and the plight of immigrants who are just arrivin..."

It's Susan May Warren.

message 585: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Gaile (Kittygladu) | 251 comments Mod
Lisa wrote: "Sons of Thunder

Has anyone nominated this book yet, takes place during WWII and afterwards, also features some of America's Jazz era, and the plight of immigrants who are just arriving in America...."

Who wrote this book? There are many many under that same title!!!!!!

message 584: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 6 comments Sons of Thunder

Has anyone nominated this book yet, takes place during WWII and afterwards, also features some of America's Jazz era, and the plight of immigrants who are just arriving in America. The story is about a woman who has to choice between two brothers.

message 583: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Moira wrote: "Jessica wrote: "While browsing the WWI shelf (my favorite era), I noticed a few that are actually WW2: The Soldier's Wife, Letters from Home, My Enemy My Beloved.

May I nominate [bookcover:Deafen..."
How come I never heard of that and I am deaf?! Sounds good to me! I added it to my TBR list.

message 582: by Moira (new)

Moira (MKStelmack) | 17 comments Jessica wrote: "While browsing the WWI shelf (my favorite era), I noticed a few that are actually WW2: The Soldier's Wife, Letters from Home, My Enemy My Beloved.

May I nominate Deafening by Frances Itani for ..."

I'm happy with any of these since all three are books I want to read. I read Deafening years ago, and could read it again easily.

message 581: by Shea (new)

Shea | 42 comments I just finished reading The Last Valentine and much of it is set during WWII. I enjoyed it and it is a romantic story. It was a quick read and the basis of a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie.

message 580: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Brockmole | 9 comments While browsing the WWI shelf (my favorite era), I noticed a few that are actually WW2: The Soldier's Wife, Letters from Home, My Enemy My Beloved.

May I nominate Deafening by Frances Itani for the WWI shelf? A young deaf woman from a small town in Ontario falls in love with a hearing man right as WWI breaks out and he is sent to the Western Front as a stretcher bearer. If you're keeping track of settings for the challenge, this is set in Canada.

For the WWII shelf, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer. Finding love (and finding history) on Guernsey just after WWII. Also The Plum Tree by Ellen Marie Wiseman, set on the German homefront during WWII, about a love that endures through war, occupation, and even Dachau.

I didn't see any of these three on the shelves, but if I've missed them (of if they're not suitable for nominating) I apologize!

message 579: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons I'd like to nominate this for the WW-II shelf (now that we have one.) It's romantic and historical - set in Russia. I wish I had added it on my challenge, but I got in in e-format as a library loan and didn't realize how good it would be.

message 578: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

I want to nominate Green Dolphin Street by Elizabeth Goudge. This novel was first published in 1944. It takes place in New Zealand and I think would be a great addiction to the group bookshelf.

message 577: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Victoria wrote: "Gaile wrote: "The Queen's Vow  A Novel Of Isabella Of Castile by C.W. GortnerHas this one been nominated? Also there are titles by Jean Plaidy about the same queen."

Hi Gaile!
It is on our bo..."
GREAT!

message 576: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Victoria wrote: "Gaile wrote: "Of Love and Shadows by Isabel Allende
This is a romance that takes place in Spain during the Spanish civil war. It is another I think worth nominating."

Have you read and reviewed it?"

Yes but it actually takes place in the 70's which I think is too recent to be on your bookshelf.

message 575: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Vane (VictoriaVane) | 54 comments Gaile wrote: "Of Love and Shadows by Isabel Allende
This is a romance that takes place in Spain during the Spanish civil war. It is another I think worth nominating."

Have you read and reviewed it?

message 574: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Vane (VictoriaVane) | 54 comments Gaile wrote: "The Queen's Vow  A Novel Of Isabella Of Castile by C.W. GortnerHas this one been nominated? Also there are titles by Jean Plaidy about the same queen."

Hi Gaile!
It is on our book shelf already. All you need to do is go to the group book shelf and type in the title or author to see if we already have a book listed.

message 573: by Gaile, co-librarian (last edited Jan 12, 2013 08:25AM) (new)

The Queen's Vow  A Novel Of Isabella Of Castile by C.W. GortnerHas this one been nominated? Also there are titles by Jean Plaidy about the same queen.

message 572: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Of Love and Shadows by Isabel Allende
This is a romance that takes place in Spain during the Spanish civil war. It is another I think worth nominating.

message 571: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

A Noble Place by Anne Brear is the one Emery recommended but it is not yet shelved.

message 570: by Gaile, co-librarian (last edited Jan 10, 2013 07:14PM) (new)

I found three titles that take place in Australia, one recommended by Emery. How many of you are with me in nominating "Beyond Innocence" by Joanna Lloyd. Beyond The Blue Mountains by Jean Plaidy? Beyond Innocence by Joanna  Lloyd Beyond the Blue Mountains by Jean Plaidy A Noble Place by Anne Brear

message 569: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 22 comments I agree with Emery.

Trollope is way, way underrated.

Shelley
http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com

message 568: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

The 2013 challenge is really SOMETHING! However I found no titles on the bookshelf that take place in Australia/NZ or South America nor do I know which ones are award winning novels. Can some of you recommend some?? I did read a book that took place in Australia but it was so long ago I can no longer remember the title. Then there is the Exile series but those are very expensive now as they have been so long out of print! The only one I know of that takes place in New Zealand is Green Dolphin Street by Elizabeth Goudge. I don't know if that is right for Emery's shelf. I read it long ago and it is still a favorite book! Anybody know anything?????

message 567: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (AuthorEmeryLee) | 900 comments Mod
Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "I'd like to nominate Come What May by Leslie LaFoy. It is set in Colonial America (Virginia to be exact) during the events leading up to the Revolutionary War. The hero is a member of the House of ..."

Thanks Julie!
This DOES sound like a good fit for us!
Emery

message 566: by Julianna (last edited Nov 20, 2012 03:23PM) (new)

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 40 comments I'd like to nominate Come What May by Leslie LaFoy. It is set in Colonial America (Virginia to be exact) during the events leading up to the Revolutionary War. The hero is a member of the House of Burgesses, and it has three real-life burgesses of the era as characters as well as a cameo by Patrick Henry. There is also a fair bit of historical detail concerning the political climate of the time period as well, which should make it a good fit for the group shelf.
Come What May by Leslie LaFoy

message 565: by Allison (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) Gaile wrote: "American woman by R Garcia Y Robertson is about the frontier and it is not inspirational. Dawn's Early Light and Yankee Stranger by Elswyth Thane are also good ones"

Thank you! I will check those out.

message 564: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Allison wrote: "I have a couple inspirationals to nominate. They are not too preachy compared to others I've read. One is The Apothecary's Daughter. I saw some other Julie Klassens on the shelf, but not this one a..."

American woman by R Garcia Y Robertson is about the frontier and it is not inspirational. Dawn's Early Light and Yankee Stranger by Elswyth Thane are also good ones.

message 563: by Allison (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) I have a couple inspirationals to nominate. They are not too preachy compared to others I've read. One is The Apothecary's Daughter. I saw some other Julie Klassens on the shelf, but not this one and I enjoyed it more than the others. It's Regency as well.

Another is about the American Frontier, set in Colorado. By Tamera Alexander, the first of 3 in this series is the least preachy one: From a Distance.

I enjoy the Frontier setting, but inspirational authors seem to be the main ones writing about that time period. Does anyone know of any that aren't inspirational that are worth a read?

message 562: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 123 comments Emery wrote: "Misfit wrote: "I don't think this is on the shelves yet, Lady Of The Glen: A Novel of 17Th-Century Scotland and the Massacre of Glencoe by Jennifer Roberson. Despite that atrocious new cover by Ken..."

Yes ma'am :)

My review of Lady of the Glen is from the early days of reviewing. I'd be ashamed to put it out there.

message 561: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Misfit wrote: "I don't think this is on the shelves yet, Lady Of The Glen: A Novel of 17Th-Century Scotland and the Massacre of Glencoe by Jennifer Roberson. Despite that atrocious new cover by Kensington, this i..."

Thanks Misfit!
Please let me know if you would ever like to contribute a guest review on any of your nominations!

Emery

message 560: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Linda wrote: "Hi Emery. I think you should add Cecilia Grant's A LADY AWAKENED and A GENTLEMAN UNDONE. Both are Regency historicals and have a lot of Regency flavor, language and history. Her knowledge of the ma..."

Hi Linda!

Both titles are on our book shelves and I'm eager to read them.

message 559: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 123 comments I don't think this is on the shelves yet, Lady Of The Glen: A Novel of 17Th-Century Scotland and the Massacre of Glencoe by Jennifer Roberson. Despite that atrocious new cover by Kensington, this is very much more historical than romance, but there is a very sweet Romeo/Juliet love story.

message 558: by Linda (new)

Linda Banche (lindabanche) | 7 comments Hi Emery. I think you should add Cecilia Grant's A LADY AWAKENED and A GENTLEMAN UNDONE. Both are Regency historicals and have a lot of Regency flavor, language and history. Her knowledge of the manners and mores of the period remind me of Mary Balogh. And her stories are exciting.

message 557: by Larisa (new)

Larisa (MsGodiva1) | 28 comments I'd like to nominate 'Shades of Milk and Honey' by Mary Robinette Kowal in the paranormal category. Just posted my review. If someone else has read it and disagrees, lets discuss why. I think the book belongs on the group shelf, but acknowledge it isn't a clear-cut fit. However, with 'Ember' and 'Firelight' on the shelf this makes a nice addition, esp to fulfill a craving for clean-enoug-to-share-with-a-tween/teen-niece.

message 556: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Please!

message 555: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

I have more nominations. You already have Knight Errant by R Garcia Y Robertson on your list. You may not be aware this is the first of a series which continues with Lady Robyn and The White Rose. These three are time slips of a romance against the background of the War Of The Roses.
He also wrote American Woman which I think would be great for your list. This is a Native American romance told from the POV of a white Indian woman married to a brave against the background of Custer's Last Stand and The Little bighorn. I have read this book and can guarantee it is as romantic as it is historical.
Let me know if you will add them. Lady Robyn by R. Garcia y Robertson White Rose by R. Garcia y Robertson American Woman by R. Garcia y Robertson

message 554: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) I just finished The Wild Rose, which would also count for the WWI shelf. I believe we current have the first one in the series- Tea Rose. The entire trilogy fits our RHF definition though.

message 553: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

I would like to nominate A Constant Heart by Siri Mitchell which I have just finished reading. I like it better than She Walks In Beauty by the same author which is already on the group bookshelf.
This one takes takes place in the court of Elizabeth I after the Spanish Armada.
Please see my review.

message 552: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) I would like to nominate Scent of Triumph / A Historical Romance. It would go under the WWI shelf. I'm reading it now for the RHFL blog. Very good beginning so far!

message 551: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Jun 05, 2012 11:24AM) (new)

Gaile wrote: "I am having trouble finding a title that takes place in Victorian Europe. Most of the 19th century novels on the list take place in America and the earlier ones are Georgian or Regency. Can anyone ..."

Have you considered any of the Anthony Trollope Titles?They are Victorian and filed under classics.
Can You Forgive Her? by Anthony Trollopeis the first title in his acclaimed Palliser's series.

message 550: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

I am having trouble finding a title that takes place in Victorian Europe. Most of the 19th century novels on the list take place in America and the earlier ones are Georgian or Regency. Can anyone suggest a title I may have overlooked?

message 549: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

India Black is a very engaging espionage novel but I can't help but wonder what it is doing on your list, Emery. There is not even a whiff of romance in this one.

message 548: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Misfit wrote: "Sorry, 1857. It starts off in California, but most of the action is on ship.

PS, don't let that older cover scare you. It isn't a sexed up romance at all."

Thanks, Misfit! Done.

message 547: by Misfit (last edited May 28, 2012 06:07AM) (new)

Misfit | 123 comments Sorry, 1857. It starts off in California, but most of the action is on ship.

PS, don't let that older cover scare you. It isn't a sexed up romance at all.

message 546: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Misfit wrote: "I'd like to nominate Ship of Dreams by Brenda Hiatt to the shelf. I know the older cover screams romance, the second half of the book is centered around the sinking of the SS Central America during..."

I'd be happy to add it. What's the era?

message 545: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 123 comments I'd like to nominate Ship of Dreams by Brenda Hiatt to the shelf. I know the older cover screams romance, the second half of the book is centered around the sinking of the SS Central America during a hurricane. Well done, and a nice blend of romance (fairly tame sex-wise) and historical events. And free on kindle this morning.

message 544: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Hi Everyone! If you are still looking for WWI titles, has anyone read The Wings of Morning by Murray Purafor WWI? This is by an author who recently joined our group. Interestingly, it's also an Amish story. Please let me know if anyone decides to read it as it has not been added to our group shelf yet.

message 543: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) I'm looking at reading Charles Todd's WWI historical mystery series for the WWI book. The first one in the series is called A Duty To The Dead. Would this be okay?

message 542: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Bonnie wrote: "Would A Farewell to Arms be a good list book- both as a classic and as a WW-I book? I have not read it (but would like to as my WW-1 bonus book maybe.) I saw the movie and it was pretty romantic." That classic I haven't read! Strange, I haven't read any of Ernest Hemingway's works. Let me know how it turns out. I don't remember seeing the movie either.

Emery wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "Would A Farewell to Arms be a good list book- both as a classic and as a WW-I book? I have not read it (but would like to as my WW-1 bonus book maybe.) I saw the movie and it was pre..."

message 541: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) It was a 4 1/2 star book for me. I read it with my Historical Fictionistas group awhile back. It produced a really interesting conversation about love and the different types of love relationships not normally touched upon in books. For example, people who stay in their marriages because of kids or those who are in love with the fantasy of the person but not the true person. This book is not a typical cut and paste type of romance. It's more in depth and realitically portrayed I thought. Everybody enjoyed though and it got high marks all around.

message 540: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Jackie wrote: "Can I nominate Losing Julia for the WWII shelf?"

Absolutely Jackie! It's sounds like a very good book!

message 539: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) Can I nominate Losing Julia for the WWII shelf?

message 538: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Bonnie wrote: "Would A Farewell to Arms be a good list book- both as a classic and as a WW-I book? I have not read it (but would like to as my WW-1 bonus book maybe.) I saw the movie and it was pretty romantic."

Hi Bonnie!
I will not actually shelf the book until you have read and recommended it, but will be glad to add it for you then.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Two Suns in the Sky (other topics)
Outlander (other topics)
A Bed of Spices (other topics)
Helen of Troy (other topics)
The Tea Rose (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Diana Gabaldon (other topics)
Anita Diamant (other topics)