Romantic Historical Fiction Lovers discussion

INTRODUCTIONS > MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS

Comments (showing 1-50 of 334) (334 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (MrsQBookAddict) Hi, Everyone

Thanks Emery for inviting me to this group. I'm not a huge romance fan but I love historical fiction. I also, admit that I enjoy a little romance thrown into the story.

My name is Jennifer, and I'm a huge book addict. I'm a diverse reader and blogger.

Looking forward to discussing Romantic Historical Fiction novels.

message 2: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (AuthorEmeryLee) | 900 comments Mod
Hi Jennifer-
Thanks for joining! I think you will like the titles that we suggest for this group. Although I do enjoy a light historical romance, I also want to learn something unusual from the past while I am entertained. This is why I would like for everyone who joins us to nominate books that represent the best possible combination of the two genres.

message 3: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (BitsyBlingBooks) Hi everyone!

I'm in! Historical fiction is my genre of choice to read. Although I am open to almost any subject, when I have the choice I tend to gravitate towards European historical fiction.

message 4: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Hey Charlie-
Great to have you! Since there are a number of historical fiction and historical romance groups, I would like to promote the "cross-genre" if you will.
I hope you will nominate a work for our reading list and tell us why its a great fit for those who like a bit of history with their romance or a romantic twist to their history!

message 5: by Jackie (last edited May 22, 2010 01:51PM) (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) Hi everyone!

Emery, thank you for the invite. I look forward to the discussions in this group.

I read basically any genre except for horror. However, I tend to gravitate towards YA, historical fiction and romance. For romance it's usually historical. I don't really like contemporary although I will read chick-lit which usually has romance. I'm already see some good recommendations (i.e. Georgette Heyer) coming from this group. :D

I'm currently reading The Confessions of a Duchess, which is just okay so far.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (MrsQBookAddict) Jennifer_q85 wrote: "Hi, Everyone

Thanks Emery for inviting me to this group. I'm not a huge romance fan but I love historical fiction. I also, admit that I enjoy a little romance thrown into the story.

My name ..."
When it comes to Romance, the covers really influence me. If the cover makes me feel like I'm reading a Harlequin novel, I won't want to read it. I do love Philippa Gregory. Her Tudor novels are amazing!!

message 7: by PK Reeves (new)

PK Reeves | 8 comments Hello fellow R H F lovers,

I dropped from the heavens and found myself named PK Reeves. I adore reading reading reading... eating... reading reading... and strawberries toppings on vanilla ice cream. My guilty pleasures are HR novels along with romance with a flair. Heroines with wit & challenging plots make me dream of writing my own HR one day.
For now I am a voracious reader of all books and addicted to blogging my finds on Aisle B.
Looking forward to hearing what our first book will be as a group. No doubt the discussions will fire up the passion in our hearts and laughter at the ingenious discoveries in the future.

message 8: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 40 comments Thanks for the invite, Emery.

I'm Julie, and historical romance is my favorite genre. I tend to really enjoy the ones that have a strong historical element along with a strong romance. I'm also open to historical fiction as long as there is a good romance in it, so it seems I should fit in well here.:-)

message 9: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieburton2004) | 7 comments And my thanks also for the invite.. I went ahead and invited some more people from my friends list to see if they are interested in the group as well.
As far as myself, I own TheBurtonReview.com and I enjoy all genres of historical fiction, including romantic etc. I also like reading some non-fiction as well on historical topics.

message 10: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Hi all-
I see our membership is growing so I hope everyone will take a moment to introduce ourselves and maybe our favorite Romantic Historical Fiction book.

I'll begin and hope y'all will keep the ball rolling.
First of all I'm a southern yankee - born in Maine but have lived my entire adult life in the south. I'm a history buff, a lover of all things equine, and hopelessly addicted to historical romance novels that actually include history! This is what compelled me to embark on a writing career that began with THE HIGHEST STAKES - a tale of Passion, Retribution and Horseracing set in Georgian England and Colonial Virginia. (Yes- it has a happy ending!)

I am currently working on a follow up, also for Sourcebooks entitiled FORTUNE'S SON that should be released late 2011. I look forward to many great book discussions in this group so please don't be shy!
Emery Lee

message 11: by Aarti (new)

Aarti (aartichapati) Hi everyone!

Thanks for inviting me, Marie! I really enjoy historical fiction though not always veering to the historical romance section. I admit I tried and failed utterly to read Diana Gabaldon, though I love Georgette Heyer and have a great love for the work of Elizabeth Chadwick that I've read (we should invite her to join this group, too!). I am also a complete Regency England addict :-)

I have a book blog, too, though recently I've been veering more into fantasy than histfict there.

message 12: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Welcome Aarti!
Thanks for joining us. I'm also a huge GH fan. Love her Regencies (Venetia is my favorite)but I adore her earlier work as well - The Black Moth, The Masqueraders, and Beauvallet (a larger than life Elizabethan era buccaneer story.)

Please feel free to recommend titles to us that you feel represent the best cross between romance and real history (real people and/or historical events) and tell us why you think the book fits this cross-genre.

My own TBR list is growing from this groups recommendations. I'm currently reading the Georgain era The Beggar's Opera as research for my "work in progress", but can't wait to start the Donnelly titles that were nominated, as well as A Cottage by the Sea by Ciji Ware.

message 13: by Christy (new)

Christy English (Christy_English) | 67 comments Hi everyone!

I am Christy English, author of the historical novel The Queen's Pawn, about Eleanor of Aquitaine and Princess Alais of France. I am thrilled to be a part of this group, to add more titles to my TBR list.

message 14: by Marie (last edited Jun 16, 2010 06:34AM) (new)

Marie (marieburton2004) | 7 comments Welcome Christy & Aarti =)

message 15: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery wrote: "Welcome Aarti!
Thanks for joining us. I'm also a huge GH fan. Love her Regencies (Venetia is my favorite)but I adore her earlier work as well - The Black Moth, The Masqueraders, and Beauvallet (a..."

Hi Christy! Great to meet you and I would love to know more about your work. Is the Queen's Pawn straight biographical fiction, or does it also have a very strong romantic plot? If you wish to nominate it for our list - please tell us a bit.
Emery Lee

message 16: by Christy (new)

Christy English (Christy_English) | 67 comments Hi Emery,
I would be honored to have you guys consider reading my book. In The Queen's Pawn, Eleanor of Aquitaine teaches Princess Alais to be a woman of power only to have Alais use those lessons to seduce Eleanor husband, King Henry II, in an attempt to make herself queen. There are politics in my novel, but there is also a strong romantic thread, between Alais and Richard the Lionhearted, her betrothed, as well as between Alais and King Henry.

message 17: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

This sounds like a winner! I'll add it to our list.

message 18: by Christy (new)

Christy English (Christy_English) | 67 comments Thanks, Emery...I look forward to discussing this novel with the group. i love answering questions and hearing what other people think about these amazing women...

❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ Hey i'm Lizz and i'm 22 about to be 23. I foster puppies and I have two dogs of my own. I'm dyslectic but I love to read. If it wasn't for the english teachers I had in high school I won't be reading at all. I was reading on a 2nd grade level going into high school and left at a 9th grade level. I also have ADHA. You guys can ask me anything you what to know about what I went thourgh.

message 20: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Jun 16, 2010 10:00AM) (new)

☪☠Lizz☠☪ wrote: "Hey i'm Lizz and i'm 22 about to be 23. I foster puppies and I have two dogs of my own. I'm dyslectic but I love to read. If it wasn't for the english teachers I had in high school I won't be readi..."

Welcome Lizz! So great to have you! Thank you for sharing such a personal challenge. Great teachers like that make such an impact on our lives. I recently sent a copy of my novel to my 11th grade English teacher. I will always remember her encouragement.
What are your favorite books? Authors? Do you have any suggestions for our reading list? Don't ever be shy here!

❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ I love Nora Roberts. My mom got me reading her

message 22: by Christy (new)

Christy English (Christy_English) | 67 comments ☪☠Lizz☠☪ wrote: "I love Nora Roberts. My mom got me reading her"

I love Nora Roberts, too...her latest Bride series has been a lot of fun for me...

message 23: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) As much as I love romance I have never read a Nora Roberts book.

message 24: by Christy (new)

Christy English (Christy_English) | 67 comments Jackie, I have loved Nora Roberts for years...maybe we can convince you to pick one up...:)

message 25: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) I actually have the Bride series on my TBR. I have to pick it up at some point....maybe sooner rather than later :)

❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ I havn't read her bride series but i'm going too

message 27: by Christy (new)

Christy English (Christy_English) | 67 comments I think you won't regret it...:)

message 28: by Aarti (new)

Aarti (aartichapati) Hi Emery-

Thanks for your welcome! I'll be sure to think of books that I think work, and that have at least a hint of a romance in them!

message 29: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 1 comments Hi Emery! Thank you so much for inviting me to join this group! I'm new to Goodreads, so it was so nice to get your invitation right from the start.

A little about me: I'm 17 years old and have been reading historical romances for as long as I can remember. I'm deifinitely what you would call a book addict, but I also love writing and am working on the plot of an historical romance of my own.

My favorite author is Georgette Heyer, but, that said, I haven't read books in this genre by many more authors of adult fiction, since my focus has been the young adult fiction section of my local library. I'm trying to branch out, though, and broaden my literary horizons, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 133 comments hi Im new here..I love a good romance but with history! I like a balance between the both..too much romance..and no story..I lose interest..gotta have some history and a story.looking forward to sharing with you all suggestions& reviews. elizabeth chadwick is one of my favorite..I have all her books.

message 31: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Sandi wrote: "hi Im new here..I love a good romance but with history! I like a balance between the both..too much romance..and no story..I lose interest..gotta have some history and a story.looking forward to sh..."

Welcome Sandi! It's great to have you. Please feel free to nominate books for our list. Just add them to our group book shelf with a note or even a full review telling us why you think they fit. We look forward to your suggestions and active discussion!
Warmest regards- Emery Lee

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 133 comments I have cristy's book the queens pawn..havent read it yet..it looks good! & I think it would be a great group read:)III have to scoot over to the group bookshelf!

message 33: by Christy (new)

Christy English (Christy_English) | 67 comments Thanks Sandy! I hope you enjoy my take on those fabulous women...

message 34: by Heather (new)

Heather (Doc77) | 1 comments Emery wrote: "☪☠Lizz☠☪ wrote: "Hey i'm Lizz and i'm 22 about to be 23. I foster puppies and I have two dogs of my own. I'm dyslectic but I love to read. If it wasn't for the english teachers I had in high school..."

Hey Lizz thanks for the invite...hello all I am new to this group but have been reading HR since i was 13. I am married with 4 kids so books are now my link to sanity lol

message 35: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 1 comments Hi! I'm BJ - thanks for the invite to Romantic Historical Fiction. I have been enjoying historical romance for eons - well, decades anyway! I started with Barbara Cartland *whom I no longer read* and Georgette Heyer, whose books I still read and reread. I enjoy just about any type of historical fiction, but it somehow seems to be more interesting if there's at least some romance involved, even if there's no HEA.

message 36: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (drucillia10) | 1 comments Hi Everyone

I received an invite from Lizz to join this group. Thanks Lizz for the invite. I love history. I love historical novels. I love romance. So I think that this group will be a perfect fit for me.

message 37: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Awesome - welcome to the sisterhood! Feel free to nominate titles that you think are a good fit for us. Please just add them to our bookshelf with a comment or even better -your review of the work. Also - don't ever be shy to start a discussion.
My Best- Emery Lee

❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ hey everyone

message 39: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Sandi wrote: "I have cristy's book the queens pawn..havent read it yet..it looks good! & I think it would be a great group read:)III have to scoot over to the group bookshelf!"

I'm sure Christy appreciates it. It's great to have authors in the group who can answer questions or color to the discussions.

message 40: by Christy (new)

Christy English (Christy_English) | 67 comments Emery wrote: "Sandi wrote: "I have cristy's book the queens pawn..havent read it yet..it looks good! & I think it would be a great group read:)III have to scoot over to the group bookshelf!"

I'm sure Christy ..."

Thanks you guys...I am honored to have the group discuss my novel. It will be a blast!

message 41: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Symko (csymko) | 1 comments Hello Emery and thanks for the invite to the group! I look forward to checking out your book in particular and some of the books off your shelves. I like romance books but have been more into the PNR and UF books lately but am always interested in reading other things. I am 43, have a 12 year old daughter and work full time as a clerical support at Blue Cross Blue Shield. I do a lot of reading.

message 42: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Hello Emery and thanks for the invite to the group! I look forward to checking out your book in particular and some of the books off your shelves. I like romance books but have been more into the..."

Thanks Cheryl. We are very glad to have you. It's great to explore new horizons, but I have to add certain parameters. I draw the line at erotic romances featuring shape shifters. Just can't handle that! LOL!

message 43: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Jun 18, 2010 12:34AM) (new)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 133 comments Im with you on that one emery!eeeww..I like the "beast" in a man ...but not that way..not a prude..just not my thing either..and some become so erotic..where's the story?

message 44: by Deb (new)

Deb (DebD) | 5 comments Just found this group today and Hurrah! for historical fiction lovers. I am certainly one. I began with Anya Seton and haven't stopped since then. Always looking for new historic adventures - is that possible? Will most enjoy checking in on the group's recommendations and favorites. Thanks for the op!

message 45: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Deb wrote: "Just found this group today and Hurrah! for historical fiction lovers. I am certainly one. I began with Anya Seton and haven't stopped since then. Always looking for new historic adventures - is th..."

Hi Deb-
We are very please that you joined us! We'd love to hear more about you. We are a group of book lovers and a few authors who enjoy a little spice, a little romance mixed with our history. Do you have any great books to add to our list? Please don't be shy to chime in!
Warmest Regards- Emery Lee

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 133 comments welcome deb! what emery says is true..and the members here are SO friendly..come & share your recommends & comments..have fun..sandi

message 47: by PK Reeves (new)

PK Reeves | 8 comments Hi everyone!
Just notice the new Ciji Ware avatar! Great choice!
Welcome to all the new members and enjoy this forum. We're going to have a great time!

message 48: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Hey PK!
Glad you like it. At your suggestion, I'm going to feature a different title from our reading list each month.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) Sorry I never intro'ed when I joined. I'm Danielle. I've been a historical romance fan since I was twelve. I love history and it's great when I get my doses with a great story intertwined, a good romance, and a HEA.

message 50: by Jewel (new)

Jewel | 40 comments Hi All, I just joined today.
I have always loved reading, and history has always been my fav genre, I enjoy reading Historical Romances, Historicals and Fantasy. I also sometimes read Historical Mysteries and some chick lit.
I gues we'll know more about our fav. authors and titles as we post more.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Confessions of a Duchess (other topics)
The Snake Stone (other topics)
A Countess Below Stairs (other topics)
The Sheik (other topics)
The Belly Dancer (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Karen Harper (other topics)
Sharan Newman (other topics)
Paul Doherty (other topics)
Christian Jacq (other topics)
Anne Golon (other topics)
More...