Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Recommendations > Books you love so much you read them more than once!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 200) (200 new)    post a comment »

Mindy (mindylu) | 82 comments Post books that you loved so much you read them more than once.

Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * | 7184 comments Harry Potter (any), Bridget Jones, Hunger Games, Pride & Prejudice, Anne of Green Gables, The Help.

Mindy (mindylu) | 82 comments Harry Potter, Bloody Jack, Keturah and Lord Death

I plan to revisit Pride & Prejudice but haven't yet.

Shannen (JosieGirl71) | 1680 comments Harry Potter series, Twilight saga, Left Behind series, Judy Blume books.

I plan on reading The Hunger Games series for a second time before Mockingjay comes out.

This fall, I will read the Fever series for the third time so that I'm all ready for the final book in the series due out in December. :)

Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * | 7184 comments Shannen I am mid way through Faefever. I am so bummed because my library does not have book 4 on audiobook. I am so used to the narrator now, I may have to just buy the audio.

message 7: by Sheila (last edited May 20, 2010 11:50AM) (new)

Sheila (SheilaJ) I might not "read" Harry Potter again but I would definitely listen to the Jim Dale audiobooks again.

Sam's Letters to Jennifer by James Patterson
Gone with the Wind
and now adding the Book Thief to my favorites list

I just checked out Pippi Longstocking from the libary and am going to read that for the 1st time for the Seasonal Challenge. I can't believe I have never read such a classic - shame on me!

Shannen (JosieGirl71) | 1680 comments Heidi - I think my third read of the Fever series is going to be via audiobooks. I think my library actually has all of them which is surprising.

Susan (Scoutmomskf) | 12 comments Anne of Green Gables books, A Little Princess, The Lost Price, The Secret Garden, Trixie Beldens, Nancy Drews, Cherry Ames, Little House books, Eight Cousins & Rose In Bloom.

I know there are others, but those are the top ones.

Pattee Fletcher (fletchette) | 8 comments Anne of Green Gables has to top my list. Books by Walter Dean Myers, Judy Blume, Cris Crutchfield and Robert Cormier are also ones I return to frequently.
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, The Wind in the WIllows, Heidi, Little Women, Nancy Drew, the Water Babies, The Secret Garden, and Cherry Ames Student Nurse.

LethalLovely~Let Me Hold Both Your Hands in the Holes of My Sweater (LethalLovely) Hmmm. Almost all of Lisa Kleypas's HR's. The The Black Jewels Trilogy: Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, Queen of the Darkness, Tithe, most of Francesca Lia Block's YA novels, Karen Chance's Dorina Basarab & Cassie Palmer series, IAD series, Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series, Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series (up until Incubus Dreams where it all goes to shit imo), Sookie Stackhouse series,Blood and Chocolate, Forbidden Pleasure, Men in Kilts, & the His Dark Materials trilogy just to name a few. I know its alot, but its hard to narrow down when you've read 1000+ books.

Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * | 7184 comments Shannen wrote: "Heidi - I think my third read of the Fever series is going to be via audiobooks. I think my library actually has all of them which is surprising."

Ohhhh lucky you! They are excellent on audio. Love them.

Chachic | 353 comments I have a lot of books that I've read multiple times because they are just great. Here are some of them:

The Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner
Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith
The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
Beauty by Robin McKinley
Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols
A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson
The Reluctant Heiress by Eva Ibbotson

Chachic | 353 comments LethalLovely wrote: "Hmmm. Almost all of Lisa Kleypas's HR's. The The Black Jewels Trilogy: Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, Queen of the Darkness, Tithe, most of Francesca Lia Bloc..."

I want to read The Black Jewels trilogy as I've read a lot of good things about it but I haven't been able to find copies here. In any case, I still have a huge TBR pile so I don't know when I'll get around to reading those.

Lani (Crahfty) | 253 comments Chachic wrote: "I have a lot of books that I've read multiple times because they are just great. Here are some of them..."

Completely agree with Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols. I think I've re-read that more than any other book. I also enjoy re-reading:
Anything by Sarah Dessen
The Twilight Series
and anything by John Green, specifically Paper Towns

Lani (Crahfty) | 253 comments @Shannen- I'm two books away from reading Darkfever. Can't wait!

Chachic | 353 comments Lani, I'm so excited for Forget You to come out! I haven't read any books by Sarah Dessen and John Green but I've heard good things about them.

Becca | 1608 comments I think I might re-read more than I actually read, lol! My top picks are:

Anne of Green Gables series, especially Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #8)
Anything by Terry Brooks
The Eragon series
The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia and everything else by CS Lewis
and I have a collection of fairytales, legends, and folk tales called My Book House Books (12 volumes in all) that I've read through hundreds of times.

Lauren (lrc123) | 5 comments Oh, there's a lot.

The Black Dagger Brotherhood novels by J.R. Ward
Memoirs Of A Geisha by Arthur Golden
The Gossip Girl novels by Cecily Von Ziegesar
The Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich
The Alex Rider novels by Anthony Horowitz
Matilda by Roald Dahl
Pretty much every Harlequin Blaze novel i own.
The Trixie Belden books by Julie Campbell
The A-List series by Zoey Dean
The Ramona books be Beverly Cleary
The James Bond novels by Ian Fleming
The Sherlock Holmes stories by Arthur Doyle
That's all i can think of for now.

Lani (Crahfty) | 253 comments Chachic wrote: "Lani, I'm so excited for Forget You to come out! I haven't read any books by Sarah Dessen and John Green but I've heard good things about them."

I found a copy of Echol's Endless Summer at the local Barnes and Noble last night! It's not supposed to be released until the 25th, so I'm feeling pretty fortunate.

Chachic | 353 comments Wow, congrats Lani! But that's the sequel to one of her others books, right? I haven't read the first one.

message 22: by Lani (last edited May 21, 2010 04:17AM) (new)

Lani (Crahfty) | 253 comments It is, but both books (The Boys Next Door and Endless Summer) are contained in the one volume.

Chachic | 353 comments Oh really? So it's okay if I just get Endless Summer? That sounds great! I'm definitely going to watch out for that.

Lani (Crahfty) | 253 comments Yeah, I haven't read The Boys Next Door either, so I'm looking forward to the good long read!

Chachic | 353 comments Lucky you! I hope you enjoy it!

Jackie (Jackie1301) | 75 comments Whole Twi Saga was my first re-read ever...
On my re-read list now are:

The Mortal Instruments series by Cassie Clare
Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Twilight was my first re-read, too. Yes, I said it. Deal with it folks. At one point I'll likely re-read the Fever series and Z's story, and maybe V's.

Lani and Chachic I'll have to try Endless Summer.

Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * | 7184 comments Peep I am so disappointed in you (jk;)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

The Harry Potter books, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Giver, The Little House books, The Secret Garden, The Little Princess... lots, actually. I have "comfort books" that I read repeatedly.

Shannen (JosieGirl71) | 1680 comments Heidi wrote: "Peep I am so disappointed in you (jk;)"

And yet I am so PROUD of you! LOL!

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments I do a ton of re-reading. Although most aren't YA, Here are some favorites

Harry Potter by JK Rowling
Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Great Expectation by Charles Dickens
Phantom of the Opera by Gaston LeRoux
Bridget Jones books by Helen Fielding
Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder
Boycotts and Barflies by Victoria Michaels
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on so many new books, but I keep coming back to re-reads because I know I won't be disappointed. Not that I don't read what's new out there, I'm just a lot slower about it than most of you. It takes a very special author to hold my attention for a re-read.

Also I'm hoping to tackle the Lord of the Rings trilogy again sometime, but it's such an undertaking I'm not ready for it quite yet.

Becca | 1608 comments Re-read them Brittany, it is so worth it. There's a thousand little details you forget about that make them such epic books. I think my favorite part of the books is the ending they don't show in the movie. You can only get that from the books. So worth it.

Kasia (Kasia_S) Anything an everything by Tove Jansson

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments oh, I completely agree about the ending Becca. That is a favorite part for me too, and a huge difference from the movies... especially Pippin and Merry's return to the Shire, Sam w/ the seeds, and the Legolas/Gimli friendship, and what happens to Saruman, okay well just all of them!

I also really enjoy the character of Aragorn more in the books. He's much more accepting of his destiny than he is in the movies HOWEVER Viggo Mortensen is nice to look at as Aragorn but that's the only time I've ever thought he was hot!

Anne (ecyore) | 2 comments Shiver, Evernight, Spirit Bound, Unwind and Graceling :D

message 36: by Becca (last edited May 23, 2010 08:10AM) (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Hahaha! I totally agree with you on that one Brittany! Aragorn is like the untouchable character in the book. He's really really good, yet has his failings as a man that endear him all the more. LOTR is the only movie I've ever thought Viggo was good looking in. I think it's mostly because he portrays such an awesome, strong, romantic character and he looks so dang manly in it. Who doesn't want to hold onto a man like that? The Merry/Pippin part of the ending is my favorite part. I love that they finally find their places in the community rather than just being clowns. They were some of my favorite characters in both the movies and the books.

Mindy (mindylu) | 82 comments Okay Brittany and Becca, I haven't read Lord of the Rings yet but I have been planning to and now I really want to. And Yes Viggo is super tasty in the movie, I must agree, lol.

Becca | 1608 comments Read it, read it! You should read The Hobbit too. Another great book in a completely different writing style than LOTR (and another book I adore), but great background for these epic stories.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (Ter05) | 374 comments Twilight series more times than I can count.
Mortal Instruments trilogy twice.
Eragon but don't think I want to read the third one again.
I'll probably read The Iron King again
and Shiver

Mindy (mindylu) | 82 comments Becca, they are in my TBR. Seems like these days I have more time to listen then read. I am getting ready to start the 5th Fabelhaven now maybe I will get it done while I am on Vacation, but maybe not. But I will get to LOTR soon.

Becca | 1608 comments Oooo! I really liked the fifth Fablehaven too. Seth is one of my favorite people. Have fun with that.

Chachic | 353 comments Peep wrote: "Twilight was my first re-read, too. Yes, I said it. Deal with it folks. At one point I'll likely re-read the Fever series and Z's story, and maybe V's.

Lani and Chachic I'll have to try Endless S..."

Peep, really, Twilight was your first re-read? Check out Going Too Far first if you're interested in Jennifer Echol's work. So you won't have to wait until Endless Summer comes out.

MissJessie--former librarian (MissJessie) | 16 comments Not YA, but anything in the Nero Wolfe series by Rex Stout; Ngaio Marsh, the Lucia series (read over and over and over), Artemis Fowl or Thursday Next series. All "comfort" reads.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Mindy, I second Becca's recommendation to read the books. I started with The Hobbit and I'm glad I did so I would recommend going from there. But that series is just... well, epic!

Lani (Crahfty) | 253 comments Chachic wrote: "Lucky you! I hope you enjoy it!"

I did enjoy Endless Summer! I had a nice relaxing weekend working my way through the big book. I loved the story! I just had one minor bone to pick with the female lead toward the end of the book, but the rest was a great read!

Chachic | 353 comments That's great! I look forward to reading it too. I'm going to grab it as soon as I see a copy.

Becca | 1608 comments Brittany wrote: "Mindy, I second Becca's recommendation to read the books. I started with The Hobbit and I'm glad I did so I would recommend going from there. But that series is just... well, epic!"

Epic really is the only way to describe LOTR.

I have a few more to add to my re-read list:
The Dark Is Rising series by Susan Cooper was my first re-read and one series I've read at least ten times.
Seaward is one of my favorite love stories of all time.
Daughter of the Forest series and the other books from the Seven Waters storyline are some of my absolute new favorites.
And Wildwood Dancing has to be one of my all time favorite re-tellings of a couple well loved fairytales and I will read it over and over.

Alyssa (shyluck13) | 124 comments Vampire Academy,
The Darkest Powers,
Truth About Forever,
The Immortals,
There are many more, but I'm not sure if you guys like Paranormal Romance or not!

message 49: by Jaimie (last edited May 24, 2010 09:30AM) (new)

Jaimie (JaimieR) | 1275 comments I read a lot (not as much recently because I have had to start planning - lame) and so I pretty much reread any book that I liked more than just a little - even some that I gave two stars like Lover Enshrined. I mostly start rereading when A) I know I shouldn't go to the bookstore and spend anymore money for awhile B) All the books that I want from the library are checked out already or C)I can't figure out what book-mood I am in and don't want to commit to a new book until I figure it out.

Becca | 1608 comments Hahaha! I re-read for most of the same reasons Jaimie, well, all of them actually, and add D) Because I just really loved it and want to read it again.

Books are wonderful that way, and you pick up more details you missed when you read it the second time around, especially if its a page turner like so many YA books are.

« previous 1 3 4