Graywolf Press discussion

May: Graywolf Press Book Club > First impressions...

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marisa, Moderator (new)

Marisa Atkinson (totesmarisa) | 244 comments Mod
For those of you that have already started this month's group read, or for those of you that may have already read I Am Not Sidney Poitier by Percival Everett , what are your first impressions?

message 2: by Marisa, Moderator (new)

Has anyone had a chance to dive into I Am Not Sidney Poitier yet? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Shannon (IandSsmom) | 8 comments ok I'm only on pg 20 but have already laughed out loud so I can tell I'm going to enjoy this! Love books that make me laugh!

message 4: by Marisa, Moderator (last edited May 26, 2010 08:18PM) (new)

Shannon wrote: "ok I'm only on pg 20 but have already laughed out loud so I can tell I'm going to enjoy this! Love books that make me laugh!"

Hi Shannon! Thanks for breaking the ice and being the first to chime in! I agree--while there are very serious issues and themes that form the framework of this book, it's also hilarious. I'm normally not one to giggle or cry while reading, but Sidney had me cracking up throughout.

Rebecca | 6 comments I am about half way into the novel so far and I struggled with Not Sidney's emotional removal as a narrator. But I can't help but get pulled along when he declares himself a "fighter of windmills". The tension in his quixotic-like journey is so serious and so hilarious at the same time. Maybe he has me fesmerized...

Mark Allen I just started it over the weekend. So far it reminds of something by Kurt Vonnegut and Ishmael Reed. Specifically Hocus Pocus and Mumbo Jumbo, though I am Not Sidney Portier hasn't quite got that weird yet.

Ted Turner is interesting and funny so far. He often seems like a caricature of George W. Bush.

Dan Wickett | 4 comments I enjoyed the book a great deal. It might be Everett's most straightforward attempt at humorous writing (though I'd be willing to bet he'd argue that, either that it's not his most straightforward attempt, OR it's not a straightforward attempt at all). I think the combination of wit, outright humor, and overall look at American culture has I am Not Sidney Poitier falling somewhere into Everett's top third in terms of books of his I'd recommend. It may actually deserve to rank higher than that in terms of recommending it, as it's perhaps one of is more accessible titles.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

I am Not Sidney Poitier (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Percival Everett (other topics)