Beyond Reality discussion

Miles Vorkosigan Series > DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY: finished reading *spoilers likely*

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1665 comments Mod
Here's a topic for people who have finished reading Diplomatic Immunity by Lois McMaster Bujold. Spoilers allowed!

Jon (jonmoss) | 623 comments I finished this in a couple of days last week (my review).

While an interesting adventure/mystery for Miles, I felt 'let down' after the 'high' from A Civil Campaign.

Shel (shel99) | 948 comments I finished it. I really loved it, actually - one of the ones I've liked best in the series so far. I loved meeting up with Bel Thorne again, and having Ekaterin along for one of Miles' crazy adventures added another layer of tension. I'm really enjoying Miles in his role as Imperial Auditor, and this story was like a combination of a mystery to be solved, like in Cetaganda, and one of his old crazy Dendarii adventures.

And I love the mental image of the quaddie "ballet". Coincidentally, my husband and I had ballet tickets yesterday and I was watching and trying to imagine what the quaddie version might look like, not being limited by gravity!

William (williamjm) | 67 comments Jon wrote: "While an interesting adventure/mystery for Miles, I felt 'let down' after the 'high' from A Civil Campaign."

I suppose expectations can make a big difference to impressions, before reading it I'd heard quite a few comments that were a bit disappointed in the story so I was pleasantly surprised that I still enjoyed it a lot. I wouldn't rank it among the best books in the series and it is probably one of the least memorable, but it is a solidly entertaining novel.

Kathi | 1119 comments I probably say this every time I read another Miles Vorkosigan book, but this one (I think) is my favorite. There is just enough of Admiral Naismith action to remind me of the books that featured that side of Miles, and yet we see the more mature, married and about to be a parent side of Miles, too. I also enjoyed the echoes from other books--Bel Thorne, the quaddies, and the haut ladies of the Star Créche--woven into this new story.

Two things that especially struck me--no, three. First, although Miles does not have the relationship with his "team" the way he did with his Dendarii Mercenaries, he still puts their needs and safety above his. Secondly, Bujold emphasizes Miles' ability to see the bigger picture and all its implications. He truly is able to put himself in the place of the "other", or perhaps he sees the "other" as more like himself than different. This is true with both the Quaddies and the Cetagandans. And thirdly, although we see it indirectly, Ekaterin is blossoming into her role as Lady Vorkosigan. I would have loved to have seen more directly her actions while Miles was incapacitated.

10/10 rating!!

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1117 comments I found this one a bit of a let down from A Civil Campaign, which was the high point of the series so far for me. The banquet was one of the funniest things I've ever read.

I still enjoyed it though. Personally, I didn't enjoy the shenanigans of Miles as Admiral Naismith as much as most, I suppose. I found some of it a bit frenetic and too ADD, and lost interest. So I was pleased to see that he has matured in this book, and also enjoyed the fact that Ekaterin played a bigger role.

I have a bit of a hard time with the remote pregnancy thing, as I know how important the bond established during pregnancy is to later infant development.

Let's hope Miles grows into his role as a parent!

Phoenixfalls | 187 comments When I first blasted through the Vorkosigan Saga years ago I was let down by Diplomatic Immunity too. Like many of you, after the brilliance that was A Civil Campaign it was strange just getting a mystery/suspense/action novel, and I missed that huge cast of people I loved. It was nice to see Bel Thorne again, but my heart has always been most drawn to the Barrayaran characters (well, and Taura, but she wasn't here EITHER).

But I must admit, on re-reads the whole climactic sequence, from the moment Miles realizes he's gotten himself infected, is one of the tensest bits of reading I put myself through. Even knowing the outcome and deliberately trying to read every word I find myself skimming to see what happens NEXT, and the moment when he's muttering nonsense into his headset because he's just realized what's REALLY going on, prompting Ekaterin to tell the Admiral to calm down, he's not having an aneurism, he's just THINKING, is totally priceless.

Still, I think I agree with what Jo Walton said about it in her rereads on Tor.com -- the novel was lessened by not having Ekaterin's perspective. Yes, we saw that she is growing into her new role through Miles' eyes, but we didn't get to see how that new role is sitting on her, what she thinks of Miles' performance of himself to all these strangers, what she and Bel talked about (a conversation I VERY MUCH wanted to see, lol), and for chrissakes, if her perspective had been included we would have gotten to see the END, rather than getting shut down when Miles lost consciousness and just waking up to find it over.

Ah well. As the finale on the series it would have disappointed me, but since the series is ongoing, it's free to be just a fun romp. ;)

message 8: by Kathi (last edited Jun 15, 2010 06:12AM) (new)

Kathi | 1119 comments Sandra AKA Sleo wrote: "Personally, I didn't enjoy the shenanigans of Miles as Admiral Naismith as much as most...."

While I found the early Naismith adventures fun, I didn't like them as much as seeing Miles as Vorkosigan. What I liked about this book is that Miles had some Naismith-type adventures, but he had them as Vorkosigan, and that difference made them more interesting to me.

Phoenixfalls wrote: "...but we didn't get to see how that new role is sitting on her, what she thinks of Miles' performance of himself to all these strangers, what she and Bel talked about (a conversation I VERY MUCH wanted to see, lol), and for chrissakes, if her perspective had been included we would have gotten to see the END, rather than getting shut down when Miles lost consciousness and just waking up to find it over."

I didn't realize how much NOT having Ekaterin's perspective bothered me until I read your comments and found myself nodding and muttering, "Exactly!" In the book where Ekaterin and Miles met (and she was still married), we saw a lot of the plot in that book from her viewpoint and got to listen in on her thoughts. That would have really added even more depth to this story.

message 9: by Phoenixfalls (last edited Jun 15, 2010 01:41PM) (new)

Phoenixfalls | 187 comments Kathi wrote: "In the book where Ekaterin and Miles met (and she was still married), we saw a lot of the plot in that book from her viewpoint and got to listen in on her thoughts. That would have really added even more depth to this story."

Yep. Her perspective is one of the reasons I love Komarr so much -- I could take or leave the actual mystery at hand, but getting to see Miles through someone else's eyes was my absolute favorite part of the series. We've spent so long in his head that finally getting out of it (with its manic-depression and self-centeredness and privilege)(but don't get the impression I don't love him!) was like a breath of fresh air. I hope CryoBurn goes back to that format!

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1117 comments Phoenixfalls wrote: "Kathi wrote: "In the book where Ekaterin and Miles met (and she was still married), we saw a lot of the plot in that book from her viewpoint and got to listen in on her thoughts. That would have re..."

I agree with you guys. Didn't you love it when she said "He is not short... he's condensed!" I just loved that.

Staci | 47 comments I enjoyed this outing with Miles. I did not feel let down as some of you had mentioned after A Civil Campaign, I found this one just as satisfying. As a few others have mentioned, I also prefer to see Miles as Vorkosigan rather than Naismith and I thought this book did a good blending of the two. I also would have liked to see more from Ekaterin's perspective, but she does seem to be adapting very well to her new role as Lady Vorkosigan. I enjoyed Bel Thorne in this one and thought the quaddies were interesting. Glad to see that there's another book coming and that this won't be the end.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Diplomatic Immunity (other topics)
Cetaganda (other topics)
Komarr (other topics)
CryoBurn (other topics)
A Civil Campaign (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lois McMaster Bujold (other topics)