European Royalty discussion

History Nominations > July 1 - August 1: Nominating

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2140 comments ***LAW AND/OR ORDER***

***PRE-1945, ANY COUNTRY, FICTION OR NON-FICTION***

Okay everyone, it's that time of the month - time to nominate! Anyone who would like to nominate ONE book may do so in this thread.

The theme this month is LAW AND/OR ORDER (pre-1945, any country, fiction or non-fiction) in honor of the end of that show (actually, I thought of this theme last week because my job was sucking up so much of my time, but hey, the show works too!). The date can be flexible (you have a great book about the Nuremberg trials or McCarthyism? Go for it!). And use the theme however you interpret it - Salem witch trials, Spanish Inquisition, etc. - it's meant to be creative and fun (not overly restrictive!).

If you want to see if we have already read a book you are thinking of nominating, just look at the sections where we discuss the books (E. Royalty Monthly Group Read and History Monthly Group Read). The very first thread under each of those sections lists all the books we have read as a group (Books We Have Read as a Group).

Please try to check amazon or some other site to make sure the book is easily available - the last thing we want is to nominate some great book that no one can get! If you nominate more than ONE book, only the first book listed will make it into the voting thread (so save additional books for the next months!). Also, if the book doesn't fit the theme, I won't add it to this month's voting list, but I will carry it over to the next theme that it does fit under if you would like.

Feel free to nominate one book of your choice in this thread until May 20th, 9pm Eastern.

At around that time, I'll make a voting poll and list all the nominated books in it, and people can vote in the poll until the poll closes (set to last through May 24th). Discussion will start on July 1st.

Happy Nominating!

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2140 comments Hhhmmm, apparently like the show there is no interest in this topic! :)

Okay, how about we expand the topic to CITIES. Think of a city you love or would like to visit and nominate a book that features that city. This pretty much allows you to nominate almost anything, but I'm still trying to keep it a little creative! Still pre-1945.

I'll nominate Sin in the Second City: Madams, Ministers, Playboys, and the Battle for America's Soul by Karen Abbott. I love Chicago and have been wanting to read this book since it came out.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 368 comments I'd like to nominate (I think it is eligible?) New York, by Edward Rutherfurd. Big fat historical novel about ... uh, New York. From the 17th century Dutch onwards.

Misfit | 696 comments I'm trying to come up with something but my mind is not cooperating.

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2140 comments Susanna wrote: "I'd like to nominate (I think it is eligible?) New York, by Edward Rutherfurd. Big fat historical novel about ... uh, New York. From the 17th century Dutch onwards."

Perfect! I figured someone would pick Rutherfurd. I'm really interested in this New York one....

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2140 comments Misfit wrote: "I'm trying to come up with something but my mind is not cooperating."

I've been paging through my to-read shelf to get inspired - I have SO much there that I'll be lucky if I read half! I've been wanting to read that Chicago book above forever, but "Chicago" as a topic seemed a bit narrow (and, well, a brothels topic may not please everyone!). :)

Sera | 246 comments I'd like to nominate one of Edward Rutherford's other works, London, which has been on TBR since it was published in hardcover. The story ends with WWII so it still meets the time-frame that Sara provided.

message 8: by Robin (last edited May 18, 2010 05:45AM) (new)

Robin | 298 comments I'll nominate Edward Rutherford's London or Sarum. The majority of these books are pre-1945; the last chapter in each might be more recent.

Sarum  The Novel of England by Edward Rutherfurd London  The Novel by Edward Rutherfurd

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2140 comments If a book goes beyond 1945 it doesn't matter (especially those Rutherfurd books - so much is pre-1945). I'm just trying to avoid books that take place entirely after that time frame.

Sera | 246 comments I've read both Sarum: The Novel of England and Russka: The Novel of Russia by Rutherford, both of which were amazing, albeit super, super long.

Jemidar I'd like to nominate London: The Biography by Peter Ackroyd. Been wanting to read it for absolutely ages :-).

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2140 comments Nominating is closed! Time to vote!