Q&A with Alexander McCall Smith discussion

HBO/BBC series #1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy How much input did you get in the making of this series, and which episodes do you especially like, if any?

I like the casting and the fact that I can hear pronunciation of African words(i.e. Rra, Mma, etc), but I noticed when comparing with the books, that some of the plots were tweaked and events were left out, rearranged, or added.

message 2: by Charles (new)

Charles Liles | 7 comments Dear Kathy, I remember how SHOCKED I was when I saw the movie: The Hunchback of Notre Dame with Charles Laughton. I had read the book earlier and the differences were, in several aspects, indeed "tweaked"; the nature of the differences in the forums at the time.

message 3: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Smith (Alexander_McCall_Smith) | 134 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "How much input did you get in the making of this series, and which episodes do you especially like, if any?

I like the casting and the fact that I can hear pronunciation of African words(i.e. ..."

Dear Kathy, I read the scripts, but I had very little input. That's the way it tends to work with the film industry - the author is rarely consulted very much. All best, AMcS

message 4: by Charles (new)

Charles Liles | 7 comments As so many others have stated: I loved reading the books. I have ten of them now. BUT---I also loved the TV series presented by HBO. The first one with the little Precious when she settled the case of the stolen cow. And the fabulous hairdresser whose shop was next to the office of the No 1 Ladies .... He was inimitable. Also, I liked the casting of Mr J.L.B. Matekone. But, above all, I loved the character of Mma Makutsi. All, in all, if I HAD to choose between the TV presentation and the books, I would be unable to make such a choice. Both are winners in EVERY RESPECT. A great testament to the artistry of Mr Alexander McCall Smith.

unread topics | mark unread