Study Buddies discussion

Off Topic > fantasy/ romance books without vamps!

Comments (showing 1-34 of 34) (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neko :3 (new)

Neko :3 | 22 comments Does anyone know of any other books like the Study series?
I've been lituraly scouring amazon trying to find something which includes magic and fantasy with romance, but doesnt include Vampires or werewolves! Its proved quite a mission.
I've read the Lisa Shearin books and Loooved them! But I cant seem to find anything similar to Marias Books?
I'm 20y old, so not really wanting anything too childish or tame, violence and romance are great by me! ;D

Thanks guys!
x

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and the Chronicles of Narnia come easily to mind. I'll have to do some thinking to see if I can come up with anything else.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Joanne - I've been on a similar search since I read the Study Series. Have you tried Graceling and Fire, by Kristin Cashore? Both books have strong female protagonists, romance, and are set in a world similar to that of the Study series. Graceling was Cashore's first book, and Fire is a companion novel, of sorts, which takes place in the same world but has an almost entirely different set of characters. They're both fantastic!

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 67 comments ~Sabriel,Lirael: Daughter of the Clayr,Abhorsen(Trilogy)
~Anything by Brandon Sanderson
I'll post if I think of anything else.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Perhaps Magyk by Angie Sage (Septimus Hemp #1). I havn't read it yet, but have the first book in the series. It should fit the criteria.

message 6: by Samantha (new)

Samantha I'd suggest The Demon King The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima, and the sequel is coming out later this year. It's about magic and the romance is more subtle, but still there. ;) It's also YA.

Have you read Graceling Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms Trilogy, #1) by Kristin Cashore? That's also an awesome read. It's sequel is also great.

Hmmm, what else?

Anything by Dawn Cook.

Juliet Marillier's YA Wildwood series is more fairytale magic, but still great!

And then finally, I haven't read either or these, but I think they could be what you're looking for...Mistwood and Brightly Woven.

That's all I can think of for now. Hope that helps!

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 8 comments If you don't mind faeries, The Iron King by Julie Kagawa was really good.

There's also
Skinned by Robin Wasserman (sort of cyborgish people)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Lament by Maggie Stiefvater (this is not her werewolves series--it's the fae again)
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (zombies, but the main characters are people)
The Maze Runner by James Dashner
As You Wish by Jackson Pearce (genies)
Rosemary & Rue by Seanan McGuire (fae)
Candor by Pam Bachorz (Stepford-esque community)
Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves

message 8: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 37 comments Check out Shannon Hale, Goose girl and the rest of the Books of Bayern. These all have strong female characters with a touch of romance. The Princess Academy is also really good. She also wrote Book of a Thousand Days. They are put in Children's section, because they are pretty clean, no Hot and Steamy stuff, just the falling in love part, the writing is excellent. She didn't specifically write for children, that is just how they got classified. They don't feel like Children's books, but I listened to some on CD in the car with my kids and didn't have to worry about what they were hearing.

I am currently reading the Wheel of Time, it is not really romance, just fantasy, but there is several romantic stories in it. It is definitely not for kids, but also an excellent series.

message 9: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 37 comments Briansgirl "Master Book Sale Huntress" wrote: "Perhaps Magyk by Angie Sage (Septimus Hemp #1). I havn't read it yet, but have the first book in the series. It should fit the criteria."
I really liked the first Septimus Heap book, Magyk, but as the series has progressed it has turned more into "the adventures of" Septimus Heap, rather than a story that follows a timeline. It is written for children, and I will finish the series but have been disappointed in the latter books.
Fablehaven is a really good series, and his writing gets better each book, I would HIGHLY recommend his books if you like Septimus Heap.

message 10: by Janette (new)

Janette (JLJN) | 5 comments Joanne wrote: "Does anyone know of any other books like the Study series?
I've been lituraly scouring amazon trying to find something which includes magic and fantasy with romance, but doesnt include Vampires o..."

I have to agree with the graceling and Fire I really enjoyed both of them. Another series I read that I liked is the Smoke Thief by Shana Abe. It is very adult but it is fantasy and romance.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) I definitely agree with Graceling & Fire by Kristin Cashore, I love those.

If you like dystopias, try the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins...but they are a lot different than the Study series.

Maybe try the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, it is epic fantasy and very different than Study, but they are fantastic.

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Aley (kraley) | 14 comments City of bones is great, but does have vampires and werewolves. Goose girl is vampire free and really good. Any Mercedes Lackey (Arrows of the Queen is a good starter) Holly Black's Tithe. Eragon has a little romance. Anne McCaffery also has a magic of sorts. Check out my reviews for more ideas.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) oh and duh....one of my absolute favorite books is the beginning of a fantasy trilogy by Patrick Rothfuss.

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss

message 14: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Aley (kraley) | 14 comments If fae folk are ok then Wicked Lovely is great. It's also a free kindle download right now. Wondrous Strange is also good. Need is fae too. Everlost is an amazing book series by Shusterman with light romance.

message 15: by Neko :3 (new)

Neko :3 | 22 comments Wow thanks guys! Im off shopping LOL:P
x

message 16: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) | 5 comments Harlequin has a fantasy/urban fantasy line out, LUNA, that has some excellent novels in it. Maria's Study books were originally published in this line before they were switched to MIRA. They've not been releasing new books every month, but more like one new novel every two or three months. In between months are a lot of reissues of earlier books, going from trade paperback to mass market. I've been buying this line since it began and can honestly say I own every single book in this line, in some form or fashion, sometimes more than one.

message 17: by Zed (new)

Zed | 21 comments I really enjoyed The Black Magician trilogy, by Trudi Canavan; #1 The Magician's Guild,#2 The Novice and #3 The High Lord.
There's also a prequel, The Magician's Apprentice, which I read first although it was released way after the others. I gave that 4/5 stars but some fans who read it the other way around didn't really like it.
I'd def recommend all four books.
Great topic by the way, going to go and do a bit of shopping of my own :)

message 18: by Reema (new)

Reema | 142 comments My favourites have all been mentioned!!!
If you read Trudi Canavan don't stop at The Black Magician Trilogy, try The Age of Five as well!!!

message 19: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1 comments You must definitely try the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. A fantastic read with fantasy and romance combined.

message 20: by Janette (new)

Janette (JLJN) | 5 comments I just finished tiger curse and tiger quest by colleen houck I could not put them down loved them.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken is really, really good. Magic, romance, adventure, and brilliant writing.

message 22: by Teghan (new)

Teghan | 5 comments You will ADORE the Green Rider series by Kristen Britain. There are three of them so far, with the fourth coming out this February....and I cannot wait for it!

It has all the things that make a great novel. The romance is a little slow starting but I promise it is worth every aching waiting moment for it.

Green Rider
First Rider's Call
The High King's Tomb: Book Three of Green Rider

message 23: by Neko :3 (new)

Neko :3 | 22 comments thankyou guys :D Teghan, just got that first book :) also got 'daughter of the blood' by anne bishop and the 4 Books of Pellinor by Allison Croggon :) x

message 24: by Teghan (new)

Teghan | 5 comments You will enjoy it Joanne. I actually just finished the Blood books by Bishop... (maybe us Study folks have more in common than we think). I will have to check out those Pellinor ones though, add them to my to-read list eh.

message 25: by Neko :3 (new)

Neko :3 | 22 comments i finnished the first pelinor book a while back, they are really good. its got magic, adventure, its fast paced and has a slow romance in it. it follows the usual fantasy rules, which might make it a bit boring to people who are well read in that area, but it's written really well :)
it is strange that we're all alike in some ways, for me its the escapism from reality that i like :)

message 26: by Teghan (new)

Teghan | 5 comments The slow romances are always the best I find...makes the conclusion so much more sweet.

I've not read too much of fantasy because the conventions used to drive me crazy. However I have two really good friends who adore the genre and have made it their mission to convert me....and they have been very successful, I adore it now. But I'm not overly well read in the area, so the Pellinor books should be right up my alley (I like light fantasy).

The Bishop books are not light fantasy though, they are really really dark. I read them all in a few days but I wasn't sure if I was enjoying them until I was done all three (I did)

message 27: by Jessie (new)

Jessie R (magiccircle) | 26 comments Go Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games as some of the others suggested.. They are awesome!
Some other people like Libba Bray's Gemma Doyal trilogy (A Great and terrible beauty.)
I found them to be a little slow, the same as I found Cashore honestly. They all are fictional books though that don't have vampires.
Will have to check out some of the other books that people suggested though:)
Oh and always J.K. Rowling! I know it's cliche' but I enjoyed them thoroughly..

message 28: by Teghan (new)

Teghan | 5 comments I'm sure most people in this group actually follow Maria's updates....she recently recommended a book called Soulless by Gail Carriger and I can't spread enough praise for that book.

The series is much different in tone than Maria's work, but they are more like distant cousins. Definitely recommend it.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/63...

message 29: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) I LOVE Soulless, Changeless and Blameless! Great books.

message 30: by Teghan (new)

Teghan | 5 comments Though I JUST realized...they have vamps in them and this list is for books with no vamps. Eeep. But they are so different in tone than what I think this list is trying to avoid (re: Twilightesque stuff) so I think its okay.

message 31: by Jessie (new)

Jessie R (magiccircle) | 26 comments Oh speaking of Maria, she does have another trilogy currently available called the glass series. Kicking off with Storm Glass, it is also set in Sitia/Ixia and some of the study series characters make an appearance.
They are based on a minor character from Study called Opal Cowan. If you like dystopia and enjoy the Hunger Games, Maria also has a dystopian book available called Inside out. The sequel will be around next year. All her books are brilliant!

message 32: by Neko :3 (new)

Neko :3 | 22 comments hey Jessie, I've read the Glass series :D they're brilliant. totally loved the conclusion about Opals love triangle.
I've just been reading the Mistborn books at the moment.. I think it was a amazon recomendation..? and they're brilliant!
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/68...
the type of book that changes how you think slightly by the end :)
next I'm finaly going to read the Ann Bishop books, and going to have a look at the Gemma Doyal books ;D

message 33: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 67 comments Joanne, I LOVED Mistborn. I've just finished the first one. Unfortunately I won't have time to read until Christmas break, so the second and third books will have to wait.

I don't know if it's already been mentioned but the Percy Jackson books are excellent.

Crown Duel is quite similar to Maria's books. Strong female lead with a touch of romance. I can't remember if it's a fantasy novel or not...

message 34: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Aley (kraley) | 14 comments I just finished the third Mistborn book. I loved the series although the ending was hard for me.
Re Eye of the World: is it really not for YA? I read the first books so long ago that I can't remember. Could I recommend it to a voracious 12 yr old? I'm a librarian at a small library and I was leaning towards recommending that series to this kid who I can't keep in books. I loved this series and the latest release just came out. (it was actually completed by Sanderson of the Mistborn trilogy b/c Robert Jordan passed away). I can also recommend Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny. It is a little weird to start, but is AWESOME!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Sabriel (other topics)
Lirael (other topics)
Abhorsen (other topics)
Magyk (other topics)
Brightly Woven (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Brandon Sanderson (other topics)
Juliet Marillier (other topics)
Dawn Cook (other topics)