The Life of a Book Addict discussion

Book Lists! > Top Animal Books

Comments (showing 51-60 of 60) (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 2 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 51: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 428 comments I loved The Secret of Nimh movie. I thought the voice acting was spot on. (I also loved the book, but it was later when I read it)

message 52: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 605 comments I don't thing these three were mention yet The Black Stallion, Lad: A Dog and Big Red. The author of Lad: A Dog lived in New Jersey and he was writing about his own dogs. That always tickled me that Lad (who was probably long gone to heaven) lived not too far from my home.

message 53: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice | 530 comments Charlotte's Web by E.B. White Old Yeller (Perennial Classics) by Fred Gipson and Marley & Me Love and Life with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan

message 54: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) Favorites when I was a kid were White Fang and Snow Dog by Jim Kjelgaard. I read everything in my school library by Kjelgaard, but Snow Dog was my favorite by far. I remember it vividly still 20 years later. Hmm, now I think I'll have to get it for my son... I also devoured books about horses, of course Marguerite Henry's work, and The Black Stallion books, also Doodlebug. :)

message 55: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Mackenzie Fuss Karen M wrote: "I don't thing these three were mention yet The Black Stallion, Lad: A Dog and Big Red. The author of Lad: A Dog lived in New Jersey and he was..."

Read LAD A DOG and loved it! A favorite. One of the best.

message 56: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Mackenzie Fuss Also, Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. I have wanted a red tick coon hound ever since!

message 57: by ErinBeth (new)

ErinBeth | 413 comments Adelaide wrote: "Also, Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. I have wanted a red tick coon hound ever since!"

I read that book for school back in sixth grade, and loved it. I remember that I re-read it over and over and over for the time period we had them until they collected the books back (we didn't get to keep our copies). SO then, a few years ago, I decided I wanted to re-read it again becuase I remember loving it as a kid. But it was actually kind of disappointing; it somehow didn't seem quite as good as when I was a kid, which I"m sure is just due to me changing of course. So now I'm afraid to re-read other books that I loved as a kid in case it does not seem as good now :-(

message 58: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Mackenzie Fuss Erin_88888888 wrote: "Adelaide wrote: "Also, Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. I have wanted a red tick coon hound ever since!"

I read that book for school back in sixth grade, and loved it. I remember th..."

Another good dog read is MY DOG SKIP by Willie Morris. Made a huge impact on me. I think that whole genre of the kid with the dog story if very powerful. At least it was for me. Because as a child a dog really can change your life. Fill a huge gap of loneliness and turn a kid's life around.

I rescue dogs occasionally - try to match dogs with the right owners. I placed a Red Tick Coon hound with an old divorced guy and now they are best friends. All because I'd read Where The Red Fern Grows.

message 59: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 17 comments Fluke by James Herbert

message 60: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Mackenzie Fuss Thank you for the suggestion. It looks very good. I added it to my To-Read list. Appreciate it!

« previous 1 2 next »

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Charlotte's Web (other topics)
Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat (other topics)
Waiting for Gertrude: A Graveyard Gothic (other topics)
The Christmas Day Kitten (other topics)
The Lord God Made Them All (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

James Herriot (other topics)
Kenneth Oppel (other topics)
Peter Gethers (other topics)
Marguerite Henry (other topics)
Jim Kjelgaard (other topics)
More...