The Life of a Book Addict discussion

Book Lists! > Top Animal Books

Comments (showing 1-50 of 60) (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by DJ (new)

DJ  (DJDivaofJava) | 2985 comments The Plague Dogs was the saddest ever.I had to read it for school and I still cry at times remmbering it when I look at my own girls.Husband knows of it is even mentioned that I will be in tears!
Ditto Black Beauty....

message 2: by Marilu (new)

Marilu | 171 comments I have to go with Charlotte's Web!

message 3: by Gail (new)

Gail | 73 comments Homer's Odyssey- it's about an amazing cat who is blind- by Gwen Cooper

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda C | 95 comments Marley and Me. Not the best ever, but a wonderful book.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy (blueeyes11283) I have read Marley and Me, and usually I look a book better than the movie, but in that case.. I kind of like the movie better than the book... Has anyone read Amazing Gracie by Dan Dye and Mark Beckloff? It's about a Great Dane, and I am a Great Dane owner...so it was a kind of had to read book.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 239 comments Amy, I read Amazing Gracie a while back. I thought it was a really good story. I liked it better than Marley and Me.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy (blueeyes11283) I did too.. I loved it! Maybe I loved it more, because I am kinda partial to Great Danes, but to me that story focused more on the dog, less on the owners.

message 8: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Mary (Marbear) (mbeth45) | 10044 comments Mod
Hi. I'd have to go with "Charlotte's Web!" I loved that book when I was small.

marbear

message 9: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (Hsouthall) | 172 comments Just finished two very interesting animal books:

Making the Rounds with Oscar: A Doctor, His Patients, and a Very Special Cat This is a wonderful book about a cat who lives in a nursing home and is able to detect when it is time for someone to pass away. The cat adds comfort during that person's last hours.

Waiting for Gertrude: A Graveyard Gothic This is a fascinating book about a graveyard in France where many famous people are buried. Their souls reincarnate as cats. If you are an intellectual buff, this is a terrific satire. Not very good for general readers but great for those who know something about the main characters: Alice B. Toklas, Gertrude Stein, Oscar Wilde, Jim Morrison, etc.

message 10: by LynnB (new)

LynnB How can you have favorite animal books and not list the books of James Herriot! He was a Scottish vet and these are the stories of his experiences...wonderful books!
All Things Bright and Beautiful
All Creatures Great and Small
All Things Wise and Wonderful
The Lord God Made Them All and he wrote many other books on animals too. A great gift of telling animal stories.

And my daughter's favorites when she was little...which I enjoyed too.
Oscar, Cat-about-town
The Christmas Day Kitten
Moses the Kitten

message 11: by DJ (new)

DJ  (DJDivaofJava) | 2985 comments LynnB wrote: "How can you have favorite animal books and not list the books of James Herriot! He was a Scottish vet and these are the stories of his experiences...wonderful books!
[book:All Things..."

Hi I'm Scottish and I have always been led to believe that James Herriot was English?
I do not mean to be a pain...purely curious...

message 12: by LynnB (new)

LynnB DJ wrote: "...I have always been led to believe that James Herriot was English?..."

Well, I had to look it up! I was wrong (mostly)...he was English, but went to vet school in Scotland, then had his practice in Yorkshire. I just got it in my mind wrong at some point!! Thanks for getting me to check on it (now if I can only remember that!).

message 13: by Alexandrea (new)

Alexandrea | 22 comments James Herriots writing fueled my passion for animals at a very young age, and I still re-read his books once a year.
"Alex & Me: How a Scientist and a Parrot Uncovered a Hidden World of Animal Intelligence--and Formed a Deep Bond in the Process"
Is also a wonderful story (true) about and amazing woman and amazing animal.

message 14: by DJ (new)

DJ  (DJDivaofJava) | 2985 comments LynnB wrote: "DJ wrote: "...I have always been led to believe that James Herriot was English?..."

Well, I had to look it up! I was wrong (mostly)...he was English, but went to vet school in Scotland, then had..."

Glad you weren't offended..I have read a few of his and have a few more on my TBR also as a child was hooked on the TV series...

message 15: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 21 comments Wesley the Owl
Saving Cinnamon
When Elephants Weep
Saving Gracie
Cowboy and Wills
Animals Make us Human
A Big Little Life
Homer's Odyssey
Making Rounds with Oscar
A Lion Named Christian
The Daily Coyote
Merle's Door
Pawprints of Katrina

Wow, I didn't realize how many animal books I read until I went to my blog to get some titles for this thread. Yep, definitely an animal lover :)

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy (blueeyes11283) I just bought the book Saving Gracie, at least I think they are the same, its about a dog who gets out of the puppy mill. I can't wait to read it, one animal book I just read that I loved was titled Amazing Gracie, about an Albino Great Dane. I am a dog lover, but kinda partial to Great Danes.

message 17: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 21 comments That's the same book. I'll have to check out Amazing Gracie. I hadn't heard about that one :)

message 18: by Jill (new)

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4467 comments I remember loving Old Yeller.

message 19: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 3 comments Animal Farm, Black Beauty, Watership Down and Plague Dogs were all favorites of mine. I've been reading Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie Brown's mysteries - they are very cute pet-centric stories.

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy (blueeyes11283) Lynne wrote: "That's the same book. I'll have to check out Amazing Gracie. I hadn't heard about that one :)"

It was written by Dan Dye and Mark Beckloff, if that helps. I also loved, because Gracie was a real Great Dane, she inspired those guys to open a dog bakery where all the dog treats are made from natural ingredients. The website is threedog.com

message 21: by Sally (new)

Sally Pearce My vote is THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN by Garth Stein, hands down!

message 22: by Jules (new)

Jules (randomisedhabit) | 51 comments I've adored Black Beauty since I was a child. White Fang of course also ranks highly with me - should probably re-read it though. And then there's the lovely Nero Corleone.

message 23: by Sheila (new)

Sheila    | 90 comments One of the best animal books would be,
Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.

message 24: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Hi. Do you all remember "Where the Redfern Grows?" I cried after I finished that book.

marbear

message 25: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 21 comments MarBear wrote: "Hi. Do you all remember "Where the Redfern Grows?" I cried after I finished that book.

marbear"

I do. I loved that book and movie.

message 26: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Hi Lynee. I'm afraid mention "Where the Redfrem Grows," tells my age. LOL!

marbear

message 27: by Laura Beth (new)

Laura Beth (tampabookworm) | 219 comments Ah yes, Where the Redfern Grows.. this is one of the few that I have actually reread a couple times. Love it!

message 28: by Laura Beth (new)

Laura Beth (tampabookworm) | 219 comments Have any of you read The Sight and Fire Bringer? I read these a few years ago and really enjoyed them.

message 29: by ErinBeth (new)

ErinBeth | 368 comments MarBear wrote: "Hi. Do you all remember "Where the Redfern Grows?" I cried after I finished that book.

I read that book for school in 6th grade, and I remember that I read it over and over again and thought it was the greatest book! So then a few years ago, I decided i wanted to read it again. Sadly, it just wasn't the same now that I am an adult. I mean, I still liked the story, but just didn't have as much fun with it as I did when I was 11.

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jnhart) is The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford on the list? I thought it was a pretty good book (been a LONG time since I read it)

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jnhart) oh! and The Call of the Wild by Jack London

message 32: by Laura Beth (new)

Laura Beth (tampabookworm) | 219 comments The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford was one of my favorites when I was younger. I am reading Fell right now which is the sequel to The Sight and it is really good...

message 33: by Yorky (new)

Yorky Caz (YorkyCaz) | 2211 comments Only just found this thread! I am quite into Animal reads at the moment, just read Homer's Odysseywhich was lovely I have also just bought Born Wild: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Passion for Lions and for Africa.has anyoen read this yet?

message 34: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle (Awaken80) | 278 comments One of my favourite books is Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel. This is a great adventure novel where the main character is a bat. There are 4 books in this series, and they're all fantastic!

message 35: by Yorky (new)

Yorky Caz (YorkyCaz) | 2211 comments Main Character is a bat? lol this I have to check out

message 36: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle (Awaken80) | 278 comments Yeah :-) It's a hard-to-put down adventure - you'll love it if you try it :-)

message 38: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 24 comments Loved the James Herriot books, Where the Red Fern grows, Art of Racing in the Rain - all so fantastic. I also loved:
Rascalone of my all time favorites about a boy and his Raccoon

The Yearlingcoming of age story about a boy and a deer

My Dog Skipcoming of age story about a boy and his dog.

Hmmm two of my favorite genres blended together - Coming of Age and Animal stories!

message 39: by Diane D. (new)

Diane D. Michelle, I think I have My Dog Skip at home; will have to check tonight.

message 40: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 428 comments I have an entire bookcase full of books about animals. It's one of my favorite topics! :)

I read a lot of the children's books that have been mentioned, but I just about wore out Black Beauty and Charlotte's Web (because I owned them).

One that I haven't seen mentioned (or maybe I missed it) is The Cat Who Went to Paris by Peter Gethers. That and the two sequels are some of my favorites.

message 41: by Diane D. (last edited Jun 20, 2011 05:16PM) (new)

Diane D. Hi Jensownzoo! That's definitely an oversight if The Cat Who Went to Paris wasn't listed here. Good add! I read that one and the second book, but couldn't bring myself to read the last one.

message 42: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Hi guys. I haven't heard of "The Cat Who Went to Paris." I love kids books. I'll have to look it up.

Marbear

message 43: by Diane D. (new)

Diane D. MarBear, it's not a kids book. It's about the author, Peter Gethers, who 'inherits' his girlfriend's cat, Norton, when they break up. It's a trilogy, excellent if you like cats :)

message 44: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) I love fiction (and some non-fiction) that includes or is about animals, but I think the "my life with some dog/cat/horse/bird" genre of animal memoirs is getting a little overdone. Marley & Me made it trendy and profitable, so I've been avoiding many of them because they are generally just sub-par attempts to cash in on the fad. Not to say some of them aren't good, but the market is being flooded. I love books like Charlotte's Web, The 101 Dalmatians, and Rikki-Tikki-Tavi.

message 45: by Diane D. (last edited Jun 21, 2011 09:20AM) (new)

Diane D. Amber, the Peter Gethers trilogy was written awhile ago, in the 80s or 90s. I'd also recommend the trilogy The Cat Who Came for Christmas, again, written quite some time ago (nonfiction). Neither of these trilogys are subpar, IMO. I know what you mean.

message 46: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 428 comments I just ordered CLEO: The Cat Who Mended a Family. The description sounded awesome and the reviews have been generally favorable. Will let you know what I think when it gets here.

message 47: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 428 comments I also ordered Oogy: The Dog Only a Family Could Love -- curse this book-buying habit!

message 48: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 428 comments I just finished an awesome book about the author and his dog: Travels With Charley: In Search of America by John Steinbeck

It is less about the dog than the travels, but Charley does still feature prominently (almost in every page). And the writing is just as John Steinbeck-ian as his novels.

message 49: by Anne (new)

Anne | 6 comments Oh wow, this thread brings back memories! I read a lot of animal books as a kid. LOL I have to add Plague Dogs and Rikki-Tikki-Tavi to my "already read" list (forgot about them). Kavik the Wolf Dog was one of my childhood favorites. I read that one so many times the cover fell off!

message 50: by Anne (new)

Anne | 6 comments Oh, one more I just remembered: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Charlotte's Web (other topics)
Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat (other topics)
Waiting for Gertrude: A Graveyard Gothic (other topics)
The Christmas Day Kitten (other topics)
The Lord God Made Them All (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

James Herriot (other topics)
Kenneth Oppel (other topics)
Peter Gethers (other topics)
Marguerite Henry (other topics)
Jim Kjelgaard (other topics)
More...