Young Adult Book Club discussion

Personalized recommendations > In desperate need of a good book!

Comments (showing 1-47 of 47) (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Camille (Camihawk) | 11 comments I really need a good book to read, and am looking for a good fantasy, preferably with a complicated plot with twists, and romance is a must. Any suggestions? Here are some lists of books I love in this genre and books I have read and did not really enjoy (just so a book doesn't get recommended that I already read). Thanks a bunch!

Fantasy books I love:
Twilight(Fave) by Stephenie Meyer
City of Bones(Fave) by Cassandra Clare
A Great and Terrible Beauty(Fave) by Libba Bray
Beautiful Creatures(Fave)by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
The Amulet of Samarkand by Johnathan Stroud
The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
Fallen by Lauren Kate(but it is on the boarder line)

Books I didn't really enjoy:
Marked by P.C. & Kristin Cast
Tithe by Holly Black
Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
Graceling by Kristin Cashore
Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey
Wings by Aprilynn Pike
Evermore by Alyson Noel
Cathy's book by Jordan Wiesman, Sean Stewart
Impossible by Nancy Werlin
Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz

Emily★ (millie6295) | 99 comments How about Wings, by Aprilynne Pike? I liked that one okay.

message 3: by Jenny (last edited May 09, 2010 08:23AM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 76 comments hmmm.. have you read Howl's Moving Castle (Castle, #1) by Diana Wynne Jones or Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder?

The Chronicles of Prydain are amazing. The Percy Jackson series is also pretty good.

Is it good fantasy with a love interest that you want, or just a paranormal romance? My suggestions are more fantasy, less paranormal.

message 4: by Angela Sunshine (last edited May 09, 2010 08:21AM) (new)

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) | 64 comments I'd recommend:
Need by Carrie Jones (fairies)
Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz (secret powers)
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (zombies)
Wake by Lisa McMann (secret powers)
A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb (afterlife)

All have some degree of romance/love interest

Deborah | 231 comments Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey

Howl's Moving Castle by Diane Wynne Jones
I can't believe Jenny came up with it as well!! Take it as a good sign and go read it!!

The Witches of Eileanan (The Witches of Eileanan, #1) by Kate Forysth
Not sure what you'll think, there is romance but it's much more of an epic journey. Definitely Fantasy

Have you read the other Kelley Armstrong books? I feel this is a stupid question but....Read Bitten.

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Ahh you have good taste. Except I love some of the books that you didn't like, but oh well. ;) A not so well known favorite of mine is the Chaos Walking books by Patrick Ness. The first one is called The Knife of Never Letting Go, second is The Ask and the Answer. The third, Monsters of Men, hasn't come out yet, but it's guaranteed to be amazing. They're more sci-fi than fantasy I guess––but I see you like Hunger Games and so I think you'd like Chaos Walking. There is a little romance in them, although it's pretty subtle since the characters are about 14. So it's not the Twilight-type romance, but it's cute. And the plot and writing are incredible. I highly recommend them. And since we have a lot of favorite books in common, I think you would enjoy them. ;)

Also, if you liked Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver you should check out her other series. I'm blanking on what they're called right now, but the first one is called Lament and the second is Ballad. I love them, even more than Shiver. :)

Another favorite series is Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan. Again, young characters (or they start off young and get older, anyway) and pretty subtle romance but very very good books.

There's also always Scott Westerfeld, too. If you're more into fantasy I would recommend the Midnighters books; they're sort of on the edge between sci-fi and fantasy and they're a little like Mortal Instruments.

Hope that helps! :)

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) after looking at your list, I can only come up with You Are So Undead to Me

do they need to be YA?

Julia | 408 comments I loved this one: The Sky Is Everywhere The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. It's YA, but not fantasy, unless it's that the protagonist is a terrific poet...

Laura | 6 comments Camille - We've read a lot of the same books, which proves making a recommendation a little difficult. Here's what I can come up with:

-Poison Study, by Maria V. Snyder. Excellent romantic fantasy. I very highly recommend it. It's the first book in a trilogy.

-Lament and Ballad, by Maggie Stiefvater. While I did like Shiver better than these two, they are still great books. Maggie is a fantastic writer. (And hey, Linger is coming out in July!)

-The Host, by Stephenie Meyer. Since you loved Twilight, you may have already tried this book, but it's a wonderful romance. I found it very slow to get into, but once I did, it was completely worth it.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Ooh I love all the books Laura suggested! :)

Heather i read all the wake series they were really good

Heather i also have ..blue is for nightmares ,white is for magic, silver is for secrets and red is for remembrance by stolarz.. I havent got to them yet but i believe they r on the topic ur looking for

Megan [can anybody find me] (meganlovesbooks) | 86 comments Sounds like you DO have good taste in books! I know some other people have already suggested these, but you should DEFINITELY check out the Chaos Walking trilogy, and The Host. Those are my fave books besides The Hunger Games series. :)

Heather I'll have to check them out thanks

Ashley (readerandwriter) Rick Riordan, the author of the Percy Jackson series, has started a new series. The first book, "The Red Pyramid" , just came out. You might want to check that out.

Stephanie (PremiumCrouton) | 17 comments The Rick Riordan Olympian series seems pretty good. I've only gotten to read the first one though.

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder is an excellent read (along with all the books that follow it...its two series altogether, 6 books in all). The 6th book isn't out untill Oct or so.

I also heard Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is really good...

Also I saw that Hunger Games was listed...Isn't there a sequel to that? Have you read it yet?

Ariel (AJML) | 21 comments Stephanie wrote: "The Rick Riordan Olympian series seems pretty good. I've only gotten to read the first one though.

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder is an excellent read (along with all the books that follow it...."

The sequel to Hunger Games is Catching Fire .. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet , but it looks really good . & yess I think all Maria V . Snyders books are amazinggg . :D

Lani (Crahfty) I suggest The Maze Runner by James Daschner. It's along the lines of the Hunger Games. I really enjoyed it, even though there wasn't a lot of romance-and I'm a romance nut too.

I also suggest Peeps by Scott Westerfeld. It has romance, supernatural powers and plenty of twists.

Emily★ (millie6295) | 99 comments I got an ARC of the Maze Runner a while back--found it fascinating and great, though I agree, I am a sucker for romance :)

Tara I would recommend Gone series. I also liked Elsewhere, although neither are the fantasy you are looking for.
Maybe look at The City of Ember and Prophecy of the Sisters.

message 21: by Amy (last edited May 19, 2010 08:42PM) (new)

Amy (londoninlights) Wow you love a lot of the same books I do! I also second everything Jillian recommended :D

Try Neal Shusterman's Everlost and Everwild! They are truly brilliant and have the most imaginative ideas and settings, the plots (especially in the second one) are complicated, intense, and addicting, and it has the most mind-boggling twists ever. Plus the romance is really something else--it's pretty darn convoluted but awesome in its own way; like a love triangle...heck maybe even love pentagon LOL :)

Everlost (The Skinjacker Trilogy, #1) by Neal Shusterman Everwild (Skinjacker Trilogy, #2) by Neal Shusterman

Roshini | 79 comments Amy wrote: "Wow you love a lot of the same books I do! :D

Try Neal Shusterman's Everlost and Everwild! They are truly brilliant and have the most imaginative ideas and settings, t..."

Hi Amy, I liked Everlost too but it's taking me forever to get into Everwild. It's really interesting but there are so many plot threads I keep having to stop and go back to re-read stuff!

message 23: by Amy (last edited May 19, 2010 08:37PM) (new)

Amy (londoninlights) Another rec- Megan Whalen Turner's The Queen's Thief series, which currently consists of The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, The King of Attolia, and A Conspiracy of Kings. Of the books you've listed, this one would yield the most comparisons with the Bartimaeus Trilogy. (There's a lovable and snarky and utterly irresistible/irrepressible hero in it!) It's fantasy set in a world that faintly resembles that of ancient Greece and is chockful of the most BRILLIANTLY INSANE twists (!!!), court intrigue, political espionage, subtle humor, and intense emotions.

The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1) by Megan Whalen Turner The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2) by Megan Whalen Turner The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3) by Megan Whalen Turner A Conspiracy of Kings (The Queen's Thief, #4) by Megan Whalen Turner

Amy (londoninlights) Roshini wrote: "Amy wrote: "Wow you love a lot of the same books I do! :D

Try Neal Shusterman's Everlost and Everwild! They are truly brilliant and have the most imaginative ideas a..."

Haha personally I loved Everlost but Everwild completely and utterly blows it out of the water in terms of everything--plot, twists, characters, and all else. I think all those plot threads are part of what makes it so great for me :)

Roshini | 79 comments Amy wrote: "Roshini wrote: "Amy wrote: "Wow you love a lot of the same books I do! :D

Try Neal Shusterman's Everlost and Everwild! They are truly brilliant and have the most imagi..."

Ok, you've talked me into it; I'll give it another try (when my brain is less tired). What books are on your to-read list at present?

message 26: by Amy (last edited May 20, 2010 12:00AM) (new)

Amy (londoninlights) Roshini wrote: "Amy wrote: "Roshini wrote: "Amy wrote: "Wow you love a lot of the same books I do! :D

Try Neal Shusterman's Everlost and Everwild! They are truly brilliant and have ..."

I have a lot on my TBR pile but up on top are:
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Lies by Michael Grant
Incarceron by Catherine Fisher
Mistwood by Leah Cypess
The Demon's Covenant by Sarah Rees Brennan

There's a LOT more but these are somewhat higher priority in terms of my interest in them. And I have loads more that haven't been released yet, I could go on forever but I'd better not LOL :)

The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card Lies (Gone, #3) by Michael  Grant Incarceron (Incarceron, #1) by Catherine Fisher Mistwood by Leah Cypess The Demon's Covenant (The Demon's Lexicon Trilogy, #2) by Sarah Rees Brennan

Roshini | 79 comments Amy wrote: "Roshini wrote: "Amy wrote: "Roshini wrote: "Amy wrote: "Wow you love a lot of the same books I do! :D

Try Neal Shusterman's Everlost and Everwild! They are truly brill..."

Haha, that's like my to-read list! The numbers keep adding up, but the progression on my 'read' list can't keep up!

Kayzee | 180 comments Im in blank city at the mo I can't get into any book lol

Roshini | 79 comments Kayzee wrote: "Im in blank city at the mo I can't get into any book lol"

That happens to me after I read a really good one. What's on your list?

Kayzee | 180 comments ..... im reading the dead witch walking series lol after I plowed through the mortal instruments

Roshini | 79 comments Hmm, haven't heard of Dead Witch Walking and didn't particularly like Mortal Instruments (didn't read past the first book). Oh dear.

Kayzee | 180 comments its urban fantasy not YA

message 33: by C. (new)

C. | 4 comments The Light of Asteria: Kailmeyra's Last Hopeby Elizabeth Isaacsis my new favorite. Quite a few people have added it to their to reads. I just wish some of them would hurry up so that we can talk about it, I'm dying to share.

Emily (potsandpans) Try Beastly by Alex Flinn. It's a modern day twist on The Beauty and the Beast and I loved it so much I read it in one day!

Julia | 408 comments Other, better IMO, Beauty and the Beast retellings are Donna Jo Napoli's Beast and Robin McKinley's two vastly different versions of the same story Rose Daughter and Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast, though none of these takes place in a contemporary setting. This one does though! It's several retold fairy tales including Beaty and the Beast.The Rose and The Beast: Fairy Tales Retold

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

if you liked the goose girl then you should try reading enna burning by shannon hale and river secrets that is also by shannon hale they are the sequels to the goose girl :) also the sisterhood of the traveling pants (it came out a while ago so most people forget about it) and the luxe series (i have only read the first one though)

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) | 64 comments Emily wrote: "Try Beastly by Alex Flinn. It's a modern day twist on The Beauty and the Beast and I loved it so much I read it in one day!"

Beastly is being made into a movie. I saw the trailer for it just a couple of weeks ago. It looks pretty good. I liked the book myself...

Jacque (JackJack) | 6 comments Try Wake, City of Bones, Marked, Pretty little liars, Graceling, The Summoning, Fallen, Hush, hush, The Lovely Bones, Vampire Academy, Crash Into Me, Thirteen Reasons Why, and When it Happens

*Mrs. Brightside* Hmm.. I dont know if someone mentioned it, but you should read Deadly little Lies and Deadly little Secret..

Kayzee | 180 comments I loved Libba Brays, Gemma Doyle series oooooh i so love it lol cant wait to real the last book

Ralo Banoff | 1 comments Forget vampires. I just came across a book called Cannibals that without a doubt is the scariest book I've ever read. And oddly, it has one of the sweetest romances too. It's by a guy named Rex Bowman. I've looked and can't find anything else by him, but I'll be having nightmares about his book -- like the title says, it's about cannibals -- for a long time to come.

Kayla (Kaywaa) I'm not sure if its been suggested already but a book you might like is If I Stay by Gayle Forman. Its not exactly fantasy, but the story is told from the heroines' point of few as she follows her body from the site of an accident to the hospital where they are trying to revive her. All the while through the journey she recollects her young life and her current love. The romance between her and her musician boyfriend is enchanting, endearing and soo amazing.

Roshini | 79 comments Kayla wrote: "I'm not sure if its been suggested already but a book you might like is If I Stay by Gayle Forman. Its not exactly fantasy, but the story is told from the heroines' p..."

If I Stay is one of my favourites. Can't wait to read Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Kayla (Kaywaa) Me too!! I'm so excited I can't wait!

Courtney (cklueh) What about Graceling and Fire by Kristin Cashore? They are companion books with Graceling being the first. I read Fire first and liked it better. Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore Fire (The Seven Kingdoms Trilogy, #2) by Kristin Cashore

Laura (thebookninja) | 2 comments I suggest you look up the strangers of Paragor trilogyby Charlotte McConaghy. its an awesome fantasy with pleanty of romance and action at the same time. The first book is Arrival (Strangers of Paragor, #1) by Charlotte McConaghy and the second is called Descent (Strangers of Paragor, #2) by Charlotte McConaghy(unlike other fantasy things these days, the second book is actually a sequel). They're a really good series( I think its a trilogy).

message 47: by Dani (last edited Dec 07, 2010 04:14AM) (new)

Dani | 1 comments I'm with Laura go with the Stangers of Paragor series, i think it fits your description perfectly Arrival and
Descent were fantastic.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wings (other topics)
Howl's Moving Castle (other topics)
Poison Study (other topics)
Deadly Little Secret (other topics)
The Forest of Hands and Teeth (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Elizabeth Isaacs (other topics)
Gayle Forman (other topics)