Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Recommendations > Recommendations for YA first person

Comments (showing 1-33 of 33) (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Lee (BJLee) | 10 comments I'd be interested in learning of YA's written in the first person, including diary style YAs. thanks

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7187 comments Both the Georgia Nicholson books by Louise Rennisonand the Jessica Darling series by Megan McCaffertyare first person diaries, and I liked both. The Hunger Games is first person as well.

message 3: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (MaryJL) | 43 comments The "Dear America" series by Scholastic are all written as first person diaries.

Two standouts are Voyalge to the New World-Apilgrim Girl's Diary and The Journal of Ben Uchida:Tule Lake, 1942.

message 4: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Lee (BJLee) | 10 comments thanks Heidi. I'll check them out!

message 5: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Lee (BJLee) | 10 comments Mary JL wrote: "The "Dear America" series by Scholastic are all written as first person diaries.

Two standouts are Voyalge to the New World-Apilgrim Girl's Diary and The Journal of Ben Uchida:Tule Lake, 1942."

thanks Mary. I'll check them out.

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) The Percy Jackson series is in first person.

message 7: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale is first person diary style and one of my favorite books.

message 8: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 41 comments Here are some YA books written in the first person you might enjoy - funnily, enough, they are all my favourites. I must have a thing for first-person narratives!
I Capture the Castle - diary of a 17 year-old-girl who lives in England in the 1930's - very honest and bittersweet.
Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot - epistolary novel set in Jane Austen England, involving magic - very fun!
Crown Duel - fantasy about a bare-foot countess and her brother trying to overcome a tyrant king. Was originally written as two books, but is now published as one. Has a great romance.
Summers at Castle Auburn - Illegitimate nobelman's daughter spends her summers at court, which is very different from the rest of her life spent in a tiny village, learning to be a healer. Court intrigue, romance, danger - love it!
The Thief - Tricksy, clever thief is released from jail to help in stealing what is thought to be a mythical gift once given by the gods. Three books after it, but they're not written in the first person like this one is.
Ella Enchanted - retelling of Cinderella, very funny, as Ella learns to deal with the 'gift' she was blessed with by fairies, the gift of obedience.
The Sherwood Ring - great, GREAT and unusual book, that has 'ghosts' (who just look like real people in old-fashioned clothes) who relate their intertwined stories concerning the American war of independence to Peggy. Three great romances, and a complete literary dish in Peaceable Sherwood ;)
The Only Alien on the Planet - wonderful modern romance.
Also second Book of a Thousand Days - and I just thought of Juliet Marillier's Wildwood Dancing and sequel Cybele's Secret...

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 114 comments Josie - I haven't heard of several of those books before, but they sound like some really good recommendations. I've added them to my TBR pile! :)

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann | 48 comments The Airborn series is written in first person (and some of my favorite books!)

Ditto for the Larklight: A Rousing Tale of Dauntless Pluck in the Farthest Reaches of Space series. These are more like diary entries (parts of them anyway) and I simply adore them!

I've recently started listening (audio book) to the Enola Holmes books. They aren't some of my all time favorites, but they are first person, and it's fun to "read" a YA mystery :)

message 11: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (mindylu) | 82 comments Bloody Jack is written in first person. Jacky is my favorite character of all time and the books are my favorite to date! L.A. Meyer is the author!

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy (londoninlights) | 29 comments Here are some more than I found trolling through my bookshelves :)

Crusader by Edward Bloor
The Splendor Falls by Rosemary Clement-Moore
Terrier by Tamora Pierce (first person diary format)
Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (first person and present tense!)
The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

And in my opinion, these are the BEST ever. Wonderful contemporary works in diary format where the book consists of exchanged letters and diary entries. Well written and includes great plots and brilliant twists!
The Year Of Secret Assignments
Feeling Sorry for Celia: A Novel
The Murder Of Bindy Mackenzie
All of these are by Jaclyn Moriarty

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7187 comments Amy - I have never even heard of any of those books by Jaclyn Moriarty. I added the Year of Secret Assignments out to my tbr pile :)

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann | 48 comments Mindy wrote: "Bloody Jack is written in first person. Jacky is my favorite character of all time and the books are my favorite to date! L.A. Meyer is the author!"

I haven't read these yet, but my sister and brother-in-law love them!

message 16: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments I read the third book and thought it was good. She certainly knows how to get in trouble (even when she's not looking for it). That's a good series to recommend to my littles, thanks for the reminders!

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (ShannyBananny71) | 1681 comments Bluemoon wrote: "The Secret Hour is good. First person narration with multiple characters."

I don't think it is first person. Each chapter is about one of the characters but it isn't told as if that character is telling the story.

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann | 48 comments I've been listening to the audio books of The Case of the Missing Marquess (book one). They aren't overly outstanding to me, but I do like the mystery aspect. There's an "older" more description-oriented writing style to them, if you like that. :)

message 19: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited May 26, 2010 02:36PM) (new)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7187 comments Ann wrote: "I've been listening to the audio books of The Case of the Missing Marquess (book one). They aren't overly outstanding to me, but I do like the mystery aspect. There's an "older" mor..."

I totally agree. I just listened to that one and thought it was just ok. After having recently read The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell, #1) by Laurie R. King I could not help but compare the two, and I liked Beekeeper a lot more.

message 20: by Ann (new)

Ann | 48 comments I haven't read Beekeeper's Apprentice yet, I'll have to check it out :D

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7187 comments Oh do Ann!! I loved it. I actually have book 2 on audio (I read the first one) from the library.

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann | 48 comments Heidi wrote: "Oh do Ann!! I loved it. I actually have book 2 on audio (I read the first one) from the library."
I hope you like the audio version - I'm looking for new audio books anyway. :)

message 23: by Lee (new)

Lee | 3 comments Tangerine,The View From Saturday, and I have lived a Thousand Years are all 1st person...

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (ShannyBananny71) | 1681 comments Bluemoon wrote: "SHANNEN: really? I thought it was being told by the people. Oh well. Sorry my bad. My brain is fried with all this heat!"

I just looked at it again and it isn't first person but I love the different views of it.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Jellicoe Road! How many different reasons can I find to recommend this book?

message 26: by Katie (new)

Katie | 1 comments I LOVE the The Light of Asteria: Kailmeyra's Last Hope! My fav. book this year, and it's written in a way that you really feel like your Nora.

message 27: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments Cassi wrote: "Jellicoe Road! How many different reasons can I find to recommend this book?"

I'm reading this now Cassi! Still a bit confused but I've only read the first few pages.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7187 comments You have to read at least half of Jellicoe Road before you know what the heck is going on, but it's worth it.

message 29: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments Haha, thanks for the advice! Hope to get to the halfway point soon!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Trust me when you break through that barrier you'll be SO HAPPY YOU DID. Talking about Jellicoe Road makes me want to read it again...

message 31: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments You should. Then we can have a group discussion:-)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7187 comments I am still in love with it Cassi. What a great book!

message 33: by Licht (new)

Licht (luzdl) | 2 comments the fever series, starting with Darkfever, also The Iron King, and i really loved Halfway to the Grave. if you like fantasy you'll love them.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Book of a Thousand Days (other topics)
Wildwood Dancing (other topics)
The Only Alien on the Planet (other topics)
Ella Enchanted (other topics)
I Capture the Castle (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Louise Rennison (other topics)
Megan McCafferty (other topics)