British Literature discussion

Comments (showing 1-9)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

message 9: by C.nick (last edited May 22, 2010 04:54PM) (new)

C.nick (Cnick) | 32 comments It was rather odd but it was written in the Romantic era, so there you are, died from his 'passions' and what not.

I found it kind of odd that Ivanhoe is not really the hero, nor is he extremely important as a physical character to the novel (he is more important because of what he represents), if he was just mentioned it would be about the same.

message 8: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (shawna638) | 155 comments Mod
Ivanhoe and Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert are enemies and swear they will one day fight to the death, and the opportunity arrives when Rebecca's freedom is at stake. I was absolutely disappointed when Sir Brian just keels over and dies. This was supposed to be the big fight and there was no fight! Everything else was so drawn out, except for this.

message 7: by C.nick (new)

C.nick (Cnick) | 32 comments When I was starting "Ivanhoe" I thought wouldn't like it as much as "Rob Roy", which I read a few years back. But I found that I really enjoyed "Ivanhoe" perhaps even more than "Rob Roy". I think that the secondary characters are what make it so entertaining. Well, Wilfred only gets enough story time, that were it alone, it would only fill three chapters. So the secondary characters are the story.

message 6: by Bibliophile (new)

Bibliophile | 1 comments
The Pilgrim = The Palmer (chapter 5, I think they're the same person, or I might have gotten confused)

No, you're right. In Medieval Europe, a pilgrim who had visited the Holy Land would often bring back a palm leaf (maybe folded into a cross, like the Palm Sunday crosses) and was called a "palmer."

message 5: by C.nick (last edited May 11, 2010 11:29PM) (new)

C.nick (Cnick) | 32 comments I've really enjoyed Robin Hood and his outlaws' part in it, especially the mentions of Allin-a-Dale. What did you guys think of their appearances?

message 4: by Sadie (new)

Sadie | 49 comments I agree as well. I had a hard time keeping the characters straight at first. I do love how he writes though. The adventure part of this story is definatly from the tournament on. All in all I enjoyed the book.

message 3: by Shawna (new)

Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert = The Templar (but that one's easy to remember)
The Pilgrim = The Palmer (chapter 5, I think they're the same person, or I might have gotten confused)
There are others, but for the most part, it's easy to tell when the author is using a different name for the same character.

I agree that the story is much better once the tournament starts.

message 2: by C.nick (new)

C.nick (Cnick) | 32 comments Which characters get different names?

I would say the first few chapters were slow, but it starts picking up with the tournament.

message 1: by Shawna (new)

The first 50-75 pages were extremely boring and mostly pointless. This is a slow read. And it's annoying that the author keeps using different names for the same character.

unread topics | mark unread