Comfort Reads discussion

Chit Chat - TV & Movies > Favourite TV Shows

Comments (showing 51-100 of 311) (311 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by Mona (new)

Mona  (k1721m) | 492 comments I've heard a lot of good things about MAD MEN--I'll have to watch it now. I heard that January Jones hosted SNL and it didn't go so well. Anybody watch it?

Did anyone watch that new show HAPPY TOWN? It was ok, I think I'll try a few more episodes. Also looking forward to THE GATES.

message 52: by Mary (new)

Mary | 245 comments Hayes wrote: "Jeannette wrote: "p.s. to Mary: Pretty cool that your mother-in-law was a Rockette! :)"

No kidding! I used to love going to Radio City to see the shows with the Rockettes!"

Isn't that a hoot? She had great legs!!

message 53: by Joy (new)

Joy | 314 comments I just remembered a show I loved as a kid - The Flintstones!! I believe it was the first animated show in prime time (long before the Simpsons which I also like but don't watch much anymore). I think the Flintstones were based on the characters from The Honeymooners.

message 54: by Manybooks (last edited May 05, 2010 09:12AM) (new)

Manybooks Joy wrote: "I just remembered a show I loved as a kid - The Flintstones!! I believe it was the first animated show in prime time (long before the Simpsons which I also like but don't watch much anymore). I t..."

I also liked the Jetsons, I think they were somewhat based on the Flinstones. It's so funny to remember things. When we moved from Germany, we were simply flabbergasted at the amount of television shows available and the amount of children's shows. In Germany, at the time, there were three TV channels nation-wide, so the selection was quite limited (two were government operated, like the BBC in England and one was a private station that generally showed documentaries, it was only in the late 80s I think that cable even became possible). We devoured animated features like The Flinstones, The Jetsons, Superfriends, Spiderman, Batman etc., but my parents really hated these (and my mother, to this day, remembers and absolutely despises The Fonz from Happy Days, he really got under her skin).

message 55: by Joy (new)

Joy | 314 comments Mona wrote: "I've heard a lot of good things about MAD MEN--I'll have to watch it now. I heard that January Jones hosted SNL and it didn't go so well. Anybody watch it?

Did anyone watch that new show HAPPY TO..."

I did see January Jones host SNL and it wasn't good. She was kinda stiff and uncomfortable and the sketches just didn't land, as they say. But Jon Hamm has hosted twice now and he was hilarious! The first time he hosted I thought every bit he was in was funny and you can't say that very often with SNL these days. He did a thing about "How to be Don Draper" that was so funny! I'm sure you can find it on youtube. Mad Men is a brilliant show!!

message 56: by [deleted user] (new)

Another great TV show: SNL in the late 70's and early 80's with Belushi, Radner, Ackroyd, Murray. They were funny!

message 57: by Mona (new)

Mona  (k1721m) | 492 comments Ryan, that show with Patti LuPone where she had the son with Down Syndrome("Corky") and 2 daughters "Becca" and "Paige" was LIFE GOES ON. I loved that show.

message 58: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) I loved Life Goes On too.

message 59: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa wrote: "I loved Life Goes On too."

That was a good show.

message 60: by Joy (new)

Joy | 314 comments I really liked Ally McBeal too - that was a fun, quirky show!

message 61: by Mona (new)

Mona  (k1721m) | 492 comments I watched a few episodes of Ally McBeal. I agree-it was fun. Another fun one is BOSTON LEGAL. William Shatner is great as DENNY CRANE and James Spader as Allen Shore. One of these days I'll get the seasons on DVD. There are just too many good shows to catch up on.

I also enjoy 6 FFET UNDER. GOSSIP GIRL is a guilty pleasure.

Anybody watch ROMANTICALLY CHALLENGED?

I've heard so much about GLEE that I started to watch this season and reserved Season 1.

message 62: by Joy (new)

Joy | 314 comments I watched Boston Legal too and also The Practice (Boston Legal was the spin-off of The Practice.)

I loved Six Feet Under!! And of course The Sopranos!!

message 63: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 3959 comments Mod
The only show I'm currently watching that is not a reality show is Glee. It's fantastic.

message 64: by [deleted user] (new)

I just watched this week's episode of Lost, and it made me cry.....no, bawl. Darn show.

message 65: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (LiteraryFeline) Joy wrote: "Does anyone watch Mad Men? I'm watching the 3rd season on DVD now - I listen to the episodes with commentaries too. It's such a good show!! The next season starts July 25."

I've been watching it on DVD and really like it. I'm waiting for season 4 to come out on DVD so I can catch it.

message 66: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (LiteraryFeline) Christine wrote: "I just watched this week's episode of Lost, and it made me cry.....no, bawl. Darn show."

Oh no! I'd better be prepared then. We've got it recorded but haven't watched it yet.

message 67: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Lost was sad this week. I hope the writers wrap up everything in a satisfying way and tie up at least most of the loose ends.

message 68: by [deleted user] (new)

Literary Feline wrote: "Christine wrote: "I just watched this week's episode of Lost, and it made me cry.....no, bawl. Darn show."

Oh no! I'd better be prepared then. We've got it recorded but haven't watched it yet."

Have Kleenex. Email me when you get to it, ok?

message 69: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Ryan, I've missed a ton of episodes including the last two weeks but I will catch up on the weekend. I just started watching it by accident but am so thrilled to have stumbled upon such a treasure. I sound like a geek but I don't care!

message 70: by Mary (new)

Mary | 245 comments Glee is such a fun show! We love it at our house!

message 71: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (LiteraryFeline) Ryan wrote: "Yep, we're gleeks and it's all good!"

My husband and I are gleeks too. We've been watching since the beginning. Being the musical fan that I am, I couldn't resist. My husband was a little nervous about it at first, but he loves it even more than I do.

message 72: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

My hubby loves it too. I love the term Gleeks!

message 73: by Mona (new)

Mona  (k1721m) | 492 comments When I first saw the promotions for GLEE, I thought it was going to be lame and wouldn't last like that show COP ROCK. I'm waiting for my turn of the library's copy of Season 1. I'm sure there suddenly will be a long line of reserves. I'm glad I got in early when it was on order :)

It's such a huge hit and really fun to watch. It seems like every singer/group wants to get on the bandwagon and have GLEE feature their songs. I read that one group, COLD PLAY(?) refused at first and later apologized when they found out what a smash GLEE turned out to be.

I watched this week's episode yesterday and especially loved their rendition of Vanilla Ice's ICE ICE BABY.

message 74: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Rats... they wont let me watch the videos of Glee from the Fox site... copyright thing again out of the US. I wanted to see a bit of one. It sounds like so much fun!

message 75: by Joy (new)

Joy | 314 comments Re Mad Men, season 3 is on DVD now and season 4 starts on July 25th on AMC. I suggest you watch the DVD's before 7/25 so you know what's going on. It's not a show you can just jump into, I don't think. I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's a brilliant show! :)

message 76: by [deleted user] (new)

Hayes wrote: "Rats... they wont let me watch the videos of Glee from the Fox site... copyright thing again out of the US. I wanted to see a bit of one. It sounds like so much fun!"

What about YouTube? Do they block things too? I don't know if Glee is on there, but everything else usually is. :)

message 77: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Joy, what's the premise of Mad Men? I know nothing about it.

message 78: by Joy (new)

message 79: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (LiteraryFeline) Joy wrote: "Re Mad Men, season 3 is on DVD now and season 4 starts on July 25th on AMC. I suggest you watch the DVD's before 7/25 so you know what's going on. It's not a show you can just jump into, I don't ..."

I guess I have a long time to wait then! We don't watch Mad Men when it actually airs. We prefer to watch it on DVD.

message 80: by Mona (new)

Mona  (k1721m) | 492 comments Yes, Jeannette, sometimes they block videos on YouTube for use violations. Many times I've added videos to my favorites only to find later "video unavailable." Maybe whoever uploaded the video didn't have the right/license to do so.

Lee, from what Joy says, I'm also eager to watch MAD MEN. As far as I know, it's set in an advertising agency in the 60's.

message 81: by Joy (new)

Joy | 314 comments It's called Mad Men since it's about advertising men on Madison Ave. I just watched Season 3 on DVD even though I saw it when it was originally on. I like to watch with the commentaries on too and the DVD's are loaded with those!

message 82: by [deleted user] (new)

Mona wrote: "Yes, Jeannette, sometimes they block videos on YouTube for use violations. Many times I've added videos to my favorites only to find later "video unavailable." Maybe whoever uploaded the video didn..."

Thanks, Mona! I've run into this myself, with some of the anime I watch. Fortunately, the "official" videos (with commercials) are also available online. I just wondered if YouTube blocked things per country, which is the problem Hayes is running into. I guess the Internet knows more about me than I think it does. :)

message 83: by Mona (new)

Mona  (k1721m) | 492 comments Literary Feline, I prefer to either DVR programs or watch entire seasons on DVD so I don't have to wait for the next episode. The only disadvantage of waiting for the seasons of TV shows to come out on DVD is that there a spoilers everywhere.

I'm going to have to catch up on MAD MEN. Still waiting for DEXTER(Season 4), In library line for TRUE BLOOD(Season 2) & GLEE(Season 1).

Soo many shows to watch/catch up on:
6 FEET UNDER
NIP/TUCK
DAMAGES
SOPRANOS
DEADWOOD
BOSTON LEGAL
GOSSIP GIRL

I also like JUSTIFIED(this week's episode was good).

message 84: by Mona (new)

Mona  (k1721m) | 492 comments Hmm, not sure if YouTube blocks per country. I thought if a video is blocked, it's blocked everywhere.

message 85: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (LiteraryFeline) Mona wrote: "Literary Feline, I prefer to either DVR programs or watch entire seasons on DVD so I don't have to wait for the next episode. The only disadvantage of waiting for the seasons of TV shows to come ou..."

My husband and I are the same. We either DVR all our shows or watch them on DVD. I actually prefer watching them on DVD of the two though. Yes, spoilers are definitely an issue. I'm pretty good about staying away from them though. But they don't really bother me all that much if I do get wind of them. I'm much more prickly about book spoilers--which is why I prefer to read the book before seeing the movie/TV show.

message 86: by Mary (new)

Mary | 245 comments I'm going to second Joy's endorsement of Mad Men! It's brilliant!

message 87: by Mona (new)

Mona  (k1721m) | 492 comments I guess I prefer to watch shows on DVD too but sometimes I just can't wait. Spoilers for TV don't bother me all that much either. I still watch.

Many times, changes are made from book-to-movie and not for the better. Often the book is better and one is disappointed when watching the movie version.

message 88: by Mona (new)

Mona  (k1721m) | 492 comments Ok, I'm reserving Season 1. Hope there are not too many people ahead of me.

message 89: by Mary (new)

Mary | 245 comments Mona wrote: "Literary Feline, I prefer to either DVR programs or watch entire seasons on DVD so I don't have to wait for the next episode. The only disadvantage of waiting for the seasons of TV shows to come ou..."

We're about to do the opposite (sort of). Up till now my husband and I have watched Friday Night Lights on DVD but we are now fully caught up and Season Four starts tomorrow night and we can't wait to see what happens so, for the first time, we'll be watching it live, commercials and all. It will be weird to have to wait a week for the story to continue but I need my FNL fix and I don't want to wait for it to come out on DVD.

Any other FNL fans? It's a great, great show (and it's not all about football).

message 90: by Mona (new)

Mona  (k1721m) | 492 comments I would do the same if I was all caught up. Only difference is I would DVR it. You should get one--so worth it.

I watched FNL once and liked it. I thought it was all about football and I am not a sports fan. I do watch sports-related films for the human interest angle. Loved THE BLIND SIDE. Will have to add this one to my list.

message 91: by Mary (new)

Mary | 245 comments Hi Mona, We'll definitely tivo some of the episodes because Friday night is kind a difficult night for tv watching in our house but for the first episode of the season it's must-see tv!!

message 92: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (Mamallama) | 10 comments Mona wrote: "When I first saw the promotions for GLEE, I thought it was going to be lame and wouldn't last like that show COP ROCK. I'm waiting for my turn of the library's copy of Season 1. I'm sure there sudd..."

I kind of thought the same thing and I had never seen an episode, then I rented the DVDs of Season 1 from the library and now I'm a gleek! It's funny because my 16 year old son is in choir in HS and they have sung some of the songs from Glee. I loved the episodes with Kristen Chenoweth. They've had some pretty cool guest stars.

message 93: by Mona (new)

Mona  (k1721m) | 492 comments I'm not sure if this tactic will work with tivo but we do this all the time with our DVR.

Set up your show,FNL, for tivo. Wait til it records about 5 minutes and then watch the recording from the beginning. It will still be recording but you will be 5 minutes behind. This way, you can still forward the commercials.

Hope it works. :)

message 94: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (LiteraryFeline) Mona wrote: "Set up your show,FNL, for tivo. Wait til it records about 5 minutes and then watch the recording from the ..."

I've found that 5 minutes isn't enough. I like to wait at least 20 minutes before starting to watch a show if it's recording.

message 95: by Mona (new)

Mona  (k1721m) | 492 comments Ok, whatever works:) Do you have a DVR or TIVO?

message 96: by Mona (new)

Mona  (k1721m) | 492 comments Tracy, I remember that Kristen was one of the judges during one leg of the American Idol auditions. She got along very well with Kara(who really annoys me for some reason--loving Ellen though).

message 97: by Mary (new)

Mary | 245 comments Mona wrote: "I'm not sure if this tactic will work with tivo but we do this all the time with our DVR.

Set up your show,FNL, for tivo. Wait til it records about 5 minutes and then watch the recording from the ..."

Great idea Mona! Thanks!!

message 98: by [deleted user] (new)

For Lost watchers....the newest issue of Entertainment Weekly is fantastic. It has a huge section about the show, a breakdown of every season, interviews with the people who got killed off about how they found out they were being killed off, etc. It's totally worth picking up, just fyi.

message 99: by [deleted user] (new)

Get back on your own thread!! xp

message 100: by [deleted user] (new)

You don't have a Lost thread???? I take back my last comment......

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

VideoHound's Golden Movie Retriever 2008 (other topics)
Your Movie Sucks (other topics)
The Holiday Truce (other topics)
The Key (other topics)
The Perfect Rose (other topics)
More...