Fantasy Book Club discussion

Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1)
This topic is about Gardens of the Moon
2010 Group Read Discussions > 5/10 Gardens of the Moon- Introduction: Welcome to the Malazan Empire! (pls read before exploring further)

Comments (showing 1-1 of 1) (1 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terence (new) - added it

Terence (Spocksbro) | 88 comments Introduction: Welcome to the Malazan Empire!

I hope that we can get some interesting discussion threads started, and have some fun dissecting Mr. Erikson’s magnum opus. It’s only my opinion, of course, but the Malazan Book of the Fallen is one of the best and most important creations of the fantasy genre in the last decade whose only equal in complexity and originality is R. Scott Bakker’s The Prince of Nothing series (starting with The Darkness That Comes Before).

I know I’ve opened a can of worms with that assertion :-)

But to begin with this month’s discussion, a few points:

1. While I am the “discussion leader,” I am not a Jaghut Tyrant! Feel free to open up threads on your own if you feel a theme, a character or some other topic is being neglected.

2. When posting opinions, please try to be as detailed as possible. It doesn’t have to be an annotated essay but at the very least cite an incident or quote to back yourself up and/or give your opinion some context.

3. Be civil. It’s been my experience that most GR folk are decent and manage to avoid personal attacks but there are always a few. I’ll try to keep an eye on the threads to make sure the comments are appropriate but if there is a smoldering flame war that I appear to be missing, drop me a note or alert the moderators of the group.

4. I want to encourage not just the enthusiastic to contribute to these threads but also those who aren’t quite taken with Mr. Erikson’s book. I for one would be interested in knowing where you think he fails or doesn’t quite measure up to other authors.

5. Assume that in posting to these threads, everyone has read the book and do not hesitate to include spoilers. If you’d like to talk about a topic without spoilers, please mark it as such: [NO SPOILERS:].

6. However, I would ask that those who’ve read beyond Gardens of the Moon avoid spoilers from later books. If you’d like to discuss a topic and include information from the rest of the series, please mark that thread [SUPER SPOILERS:] so anyone going in will know that you’ll be referencing later volumes.

That’s about it. I’ll be opening a few threads to get things started, and I’m keeping a few more in reserve in case the discussion flags.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Darkness That Comes Before (other topics)