Readers and Reading discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
GENERAL CONVERSATION > May-June 2010 CHAT

Comments (showing 1-50 of 95) (95 new)    post a comment »

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 1608 comments Mod
This is the place for chit chat.

As many of you know, my husband takes photos which he sells through iStock photo and GettyImages. His photo of our cat Isaac has sold 342 times in three years.

We never know where it will show up....on a greeting card, as an illustration in a magazine article, in ads.

But the place where we found it today is the best ever....someone wrote a song about him!

We had tears rolling down our cheeks as we listened to this:

http://www.flocabulary.com/wordup_red...

message 3: by R. (last edited May 02, 2010 10:35AM) (new)

R. Honey | 141 comments A few funny things I read in AARP magazine: Last month they had praise heaped on stars and the famous lines they said. One man wrote in that is was the writers who should have been given credit for the lines. He wrote "an actor without a good writer is a waiter'!
Each month they ask subscribers to send it up to six words describing something eventful or just about life. This month it was siblings. The two I like the best and so,so applies to my dear husband and the rest of his bizarro family: Brothers,Sisters,same parents,different planets.
My other fav....I'm fat,sister's lean,God's mean!

Sherry (sethurner) (sthurner) Isaac must feel even prouder of himself than usual!

R. wrote: "Brothers,Sisters,same parents,different planets..."

isn't this the truth?!?!?!? hahaha

Sherry (sethurner) wrote: "Isaac must feel even prouder of himself than usual!"

yes, and he is asking for filet for dinner! He wants to know where all his money is.

Shomeret | 81 comments Isaac looks like my roommate's cat Marmalade. Every time we've seen an orange cat, we've said that Marmalade must have a nice fat Swiss bank account. Little did I know it was really Isaac.

Shomeret wrote: "Isaac looks like my roommate's cat Marmalade. Every time we've seen an orange cat, we've said that Marmalade must have a nice fat Swiss bank account. Little did I know it was really Isaac."

I wish he had a fat bank account!

Marmalade is a perfect name for an orange cat.

This photo makes Isaac look really fat, so often we find his photo in articles about obese animals, like this one:
http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?po...

This does not make him happy, believe me!

Jason (JasonCT) | 30 comments Well let me just jump in and say hello from a newb!

Please feel free to add me as a friend, send and email, or just say hello anytime!

Hi, Jason, and welcome. Hope you will join in our discussions here.

Jason (JasonCT) | 30 comments Hi JoAnn, I look forward to it! I'm a reader, an internet addict, and don't own a TV - there's a good chance you'll see a lot of me :)

Jason wrote: "Hi JoAnn, I look forward to it! I'm a reader, an internet addict, and don't own a TV - there's a good chance you'll see a lot of me :)"

good!

Alias Reader (AliasReader) Welcome to RR, Jason !

Jason (JasonCT) | 30 comments Alias Reader wrote: "Welcome to RR, Jason !"

Thanks Alias I look forward to being a part of this group!

I was in New York yesterday and among other things went to Christie's where a friendly doorman (I told him I knew someone who worked there because the place was closed) took my friend and I to a waaaay back room to show us a Picasso that is being shipped to London for auction. This little room had two Picassos and a Rubens.

Then we went to the Algonquin Hotel, home of the fabled literary Round Table. We had $18 martinis while soaking in the ambiance! Fun to see.

Jason (JasonCT) | 30 comments Oh JoAnn now that is a day well spent! Let me know when you need a third wheel :P

message 17: by R. (new)

R. Honey | 141 comments Joann what a neat day! I am jealous!
I did see the Picasso painting that went for $160mil on the news!
I went to hubby's aunt Pat's funeral in Connecticut this week and learned President Clinton was in church on her 90th bday where she spoke. He gave her a hug afterward.

The story continues...on the TODAY show, Princess Diana's brother was discussing the restoration of the family estate and conducted a tour. He pointed out a spot where a Rubens had hung and up flashed a photo of the painting we were nose-to-nose with yesterday. He said it was at Christie's in London to be auctioned. HMMMM....I know where it was yesterday, and it was not in London! Here it is:

http://www.luxist.com/2010/03/30/prin...

message 19: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (last edited May 07, 2010 04:05PM) (new)

Letting off steam here....I am sure you have all heard about the horrendous murder of Yeardley Love at UVa. She was from the Baltimore area, not far from my daughter's.

Her funeral is tomorrow morning at the Catholic cathedral about three blocks from my daughter's house. As if this poor family does not have enough to deal with, those idiots from Westboro Baptist are planning to picket at the funeral. This is their justification:

"Catherdral of Mary Our Queen 5200 North Charles Street WBC to picket the funeral of Yeardley Love to remind this nation that priests rape boys because Catholics pay them to lie about God and that this nation is doomed for her hatred of the word of God. The Lord caused a young man to murder this young woman, both in the prime of their lives, to show this nation His wrath and repay these people for breaking His commandments.

Psalm 105:15 "Saying, touch not mine anointed and do my prophets no harm." The people of doomed america persecute the Lord's people and try to stop the gospel message from being preached. The Lord promises to curse them for their proud rebellion and destroy doomed america for her sins.

Isaiah 24:6 "Therefore hath the curse devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are desolate: therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned and few men left. "

Today they picketed a Geogia public school because "Your parents have broken your moral compass by telling you God loves everyone and it's okay to be gay."
========================================
Isn't the abuse of our freedom of speech grand? I am sickened,

Jason (JasonCT) | 30 comments Ugh those people make me sick JoAnn! So quick to cling to the bible and use it for their hate.
I'll never understand people that blindly follow any faith.

Shirley | 42 comments I live in Topeka so we see the Phelps family picketing frequently. Their graphic signs provide an early sex education conversation for many familieis with young children.
I went to school with two of the sons--one has left the family, but the other, as far as I know is still part of the family. The sad thing is that the family members are very bright and are also gifted with beautiful singing voices. (Unfortunately, they also use this gift for hate. One of the early outings my husband and I had after my son's death was to hear a music group at the local university. Two of the Phelps family approached my husband and I as we were walking to the building singing that God hated us. It is sickening how people can use God's word for such hateful tactics. I do think though that they have done more than anyone else to make people in Topeka more tolerant of gay people as few people want to be known as such haters.
A group of motorcyclists called the Patriots has become active in providing a barrier between the pickets and the people attending funerals that they picket.

message 22: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (last edited May 08, 2010 07:07PM) (new)

A sad day....our Charmer passed away at 6 PM.

She was lethargic last night and sick this morning - did not even want to get up. Laura was hostessing a bridal shower at their house today and the vet's son was making his First Communion, so the vet said she would come over at dinnertime to put Charmer to sleep. Before she even got to the house, Charmer stopped breathing. I like to think that she wanted to spare Ken and Laura the pain of having made the terrible decision to end her life.

We are thankful for the six weeks that we had to say goodbye and love her even more than we already had.

I can't imagine our lives without her....

Shirley | 42 comments I am sorry to hear of your loss.

Jason (JasonCT) | 30 comments So sorry to hear about Charmer JoAnn. I know we do grow so attached to our pets.

Alias Reader (AliasReader) (((JoAnn)) I am so sorry.

madrano | 444 comments JoAnn, i'm sorry to hear of the loss of Charmer. I know how much a part of your family she was.

deborah

message 27: by R. (new)

R. Honey | 141 comments So sad and a shock even when you knew it was coming. Thoughts are with you and the kids...........

Marcy | 51 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "A sad day....our Charmer passed away at 6 PM.

I am very sorry to hear of your loss, JoAnn.

Suep | 15 comments JoAnn-
I so appreciate reading your opinions and hearing about what you're doing and reading. I couldn't get to a computer over the wknd and just now read through all the messages. I was giggling about the $18 martinis and viewing the Picassos, and then, cried about Charmer. Pets are so much a part of our lives! I wish you and your husband well. Take care, Sue P

Thanks, Sue, and to all of you for your kind words about Charmer. My daughter and her husband have had a difficult day but Charlie is a distraction for them, thankfully.

I saw a quote that said something like a pet is our only source of unconditional love. Isn't that the truth?

Carolyn (in SC) C234D | 123 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "A sad day....our Charmer passed away at 6 PM.

Just read about Charmer, JoAnn. I'm so sorry.

Sandi (sandin954) | 211 comments Sorry to read about your loss, JoAnn.

Kriverbend | 78 comments I am so sad to read about Charmer, JoAnn. I know the ache of that loss and am thinking of all of you.

Lois

I thought this article, The Reporter Who Time Forgot, was excellent:

http://www.cjr.org/second_read/the_re...

I have never read The Longest Day: The Classic Epic of D-Day but did see the movie. I would like to read the book after reading the above article. My visit to Normandy a couple of years ago was one of the most memorable experiences of my life.

Sandi wrote: The amount of work and reporting that Ryan did for the project was amazing. "

I have a long and enduring interest in the ways authors write their books. Must be my inner voyeur.

message 37: by R. (new)

R. Honey | 141 comments In an interesting related way there was a review of a book regarding a true WW 2 true story called The Man Who Never Was. This story was also made into a movie with Clifton Webb.

R. wrote: "In an interesting related way there was a review of a book regarding a true WW 2 true story called The Man Who Never Was. This story was also made into a movie with Clifton Webb."

Sounds interesting. I see that a journalist also wrote a book on this operation:
http://www.amazon.com/Operation-Mince...

message 39: by R. (new)

R. Honey | 141 comments Yes,that is the one. Article was in this Sunday's NY Times Book Review!

Carolyn (in SC) C234D | 123 comments We've been having lovely weather (sunny, in the 80s) here in South Carolina recently. It's so nice, before the heat and humidity keep us indoors in the daytime. In the summer you would think there are no children living in our neighborhood, because you don't see them out playing during the day, but in the evening they all appear, riding their bikes and running around.

I've started to play bridge again. A group of women have been getting together taking lessons from some experienced players. I've only joined them once, but it was fun. I haven't played since college, more than forty years ago. I'm looking forward to the next meeting in a couple of weeks, and have ordered a couple of books to refresh my memory. I actually did better than I expected.

Carolyn, are you playing conventional bridge or duplicate? Good for you. I played a lot in college, also 40-some years ago. I was pretty good then, played in tournaments. I should have spent as much time studying LOL All I can find around here is duplicate bridge....I would love to find a group that plays what I call "real bridge".

Sue/Gazebo316 (SueGazebo316) | 49 comments I learned bridge as a young mother when several of us met in the afternoon, put our babies in a playpen and spent wonderful hours, then played most recently with another couple who have since divorced, leaving us with a split friendship and no bridge.
Reading The Elegance of a Hedgehog and it hasn't grabbed me yet but I've been busy so that may be the reason.

Jason (JasonCT) | 30 comments That's one thing I've always wanted to do - learn to play bridge.

Carolyn (in SC) C234D | 123 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "Carolyn, are you playing conventional bridge or duplicate? Good for you. I played a lot in college, also 40-some years ago. I was pretty good then, played in tournaments. I should have spent as muc..."

We play conventional bridge, JoAnn. I've heard of duplicate bridge but never played it. And I was never good enough for tournaments. Just recreational. I don't think I ever really learned to keep score, but I will now.

Jason, I think they teach bridge at some adult education centers.

Carolyn (in SC) C234D wrote: "I've heard of duplicate bridge but never played it..."

I was in the same position last summer, and signed up for duplicate bridge group/lessons. I was a drop-out, I'm afraid. I did not like it at all.

Sue/Gazebo316 wrote: "I learned bridge as a young mother when several of us met in the afternoon, put our babies in a playpen and spent wonderful hours..."

I cannot understand how young mothers today manage without playpens! It is ridiculous. The other day, I wanted to take Charlie out into the yard but had to take out a quilt and some toys ---and him. I had to strap him into his high chair so I could carry the stuff out, then go get him. If there had been a playpen, it would have been a lot easier, not to mention when one has to go to the bathroom or put in a load of laundry. In my day, every house had a playpen!

I am taking care of Charlie for three days in June when both Laura and Ken will be away (in different locations) and I told them they have to put the pack and play up in the family room before they leave.

Sue/Gazebo316 wrote: "I learned bridge as a young mother .."

I learned in college when a foursome would gather every night after dinner for an hour (or more). Should have been studying! I am still friends with one of those gals, but we live too far apart to play bridge.

Donna in Southern Maryland (Cedarville922) | 133 comments Mod
JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "As many of you know, my husband takes photos which he sells through iStock photo and GettyImages. His photo of our cat Isaac has sold 342 times in three years.

We never know where it will show up..."

JoAnn, I am just now seeing this. I can bet you were laughing and crying! This reminds me of the old SRA READING BOX that we used to use when I was in Elementary School to improve vocabulary and reading speed. I bet the kids have fun remembering their vocabulary words!

Donna

Donna in Southern Maryland (Cedarville922) | 133 comments Mod
JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "Sue/Gazebo316 wrote: "I learned bridge as a young mother when several of us met in the afternoon, put our babies in a playpen and spent wonderful hours..."

I cannot understand how young mothers to..."

I am ignorant about this, JoAnn. my Charlie is 32, and I couldn't have gotten along without one. Are they supposed to be a bad thing now? Good Grief!

Also saw in the thread where Charmer had finally passed on. So sorry.

Bridge: never learned. I can play "Pitch" and "Gin Rummy" but haven't played in years. I always tease my DH when we have nothing to do that we could play "Pinochle." His line is, of course, that we have no idea how to play! :o) We still laugh at the same old jokes!

Donna in Southern Maryland

Kriverbend | 78 comments Without grandchildren, I guess I'm really out of it. I recently learned that mothers no longer use baby powder...and now I learn that playpens aren't being used? Why not? Please don't tell me it's "too much like they're being caged!"

Lois

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.