Graywolf Press discussion

Bookish in General > Who are your favorite celebrity authors?

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marisa, Moderator (new)

Marisa Atkinson (totesmarisa) | 244 comments Mod
This week, Trashionista presented a list (via OnlineUniversities) of their top ten celebrity authors. Their list includes Ellen DeGeneres, Ethan Hawke, Woody Allen, and Steve Martin, among others.

Do you read or have you read any celebrity authors? Do you read any celebrity authors you're reluctant to admit you read?

Who has surprised you with their brilliance? Who has baffled you with their irrelevance?

I've read more celebrity authors than I'd care to admit, actually. I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours...

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin | 8 comments Steve Martin is freaking fantastic. I'll read anything he writes, ever (including the new book out this fall! Can't even wait.) He comes across as an actual writer--it's not a vanity project at all. And his play, Picasso at the Lapin Agile, is so incredibly inventive that it puts many other playwrights to shame. Just my opinion, of course.

Also my opinion: shouldn't "playwrights" be "playwrites"? Wouldn't that make more sense? Or am I missing something?

message 3: by Lori (last edited May 01, 2010 06:26AM) (new)

Lori (TNBBC) I echo Steve Martin. The Pleasure of My Company: A Novel was amazing! I adored the main character, and had no clue that Steve could be so tender and twisted at the same time.

I also really liked Ethan Hawkes The Hottest State: A Novel. I reread that book at least ten times after I bought!

Paul Rieser is hilarious in both Couplehood, and Babyhood.

message 4: by Marisa, Moderator (last edited May 09, 2010 08:26PM) (new)

Lori, I LOVED The Hottest State. I was a little less inspired by Hawke's second novel, Ash Wednesday , but I was actually pretty blown away by Hawke's skills as a writer (if not a bit surprised). I think he's focusing on screenplays and such now, but I hope we eventually see another novel from him.

And I admit I haven't gotten around to Steve Martin's other books. But Shopgirl ? Sigh. Love. (And not just because Jason Schwartzman starred in the movie...)

message 5: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Major | 22 comments I enjoyed Between the Bridge and the River by Craig Ferguson (who didn't make Trashionista's list).

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori (TNBBC) Oh Marisa, you absolutely MUST read Pleasure of My Company. The main character is one that has stuck with me over the years *which is quite a feat, since I read so darn much that the books all seem to bleed into one another... ha!

message 7: by Marisa, Moderator (new)

Hillary wrote: "I enjoyed Between the Bridge and the River by Craig Ferguson (who didn't make Trashionista's list)."

I always wondered about Craig Ferguson's book. I think he's hilarious, but it's always hard to say whether it will translate into a book. I'm glad to hear it did! Another one for the to-read list...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Pleasure of My Company (other topics)
The Hottest State (other topics)
Babyhood (other topics)
Couplehood (other topics)
Ash Wednesday (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Craig Ferguson (other topics)