Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Archives > My Nook is Dead RIP

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

David (detolson) | 21 comments The Nook I so excitedly got a Christmastime died yesterday. The eInk screen will not respond and looks like it is jaggedly split down the middle.

Has anyone sent a Nook back to B&N for repair? Will they or can they repair the Nook? Any suggestions out there (no I din't buy the extended warranty).

D

Janet H | 11 comments That sounds awful. I would be very upset. Too soon for problems! I didn't get the extended warranty either.. Let us know what happens with it. Good luck.

Shannon (Darwindog96) I've read where they are replacing Nooks (even for those without a warranty) with just a crack in the page turning button area. In fact, one post I read, they'd sent out a replacement before the person had even returned the broken one.

I would think they would replace for something like this - let us know how it goes though.

David (detolson) | 21 comments Good News! I spoke with Nook technical support, tried a few things to get it going, and was then offered a replacement Nook. Using the rapid replacement program (and my B&N mastercard) a new Nook is being shipped to me tomorrow at no chsrge.

I am absolutely dead impressed with B&N Customer Service. The guy I spoke to was very good, friendly, and helpful. I normally HATE dealing with 800 numbers and customer service. This was truly impressive.

Shannon (Darwindog96) Good to hear!

Susan (NY) | 70 comments That's good news David. I'm glad B&N are standing behind the Nook and their customers.

Trish (Clytemnestra) I think every nook comes with a one-year warranty against "Defects in Worskmanship." The two-year extra warranty is for damages like cracking the screen, or dropping it in water. Your problem didn't sound like a damage issue so much as a defect issue.

Archer That is so good to hear the response you gout from tech support, not always are they so positive..

David (detolson) | 21 comments So, two days later I just opened up the B&N box, plugged in my new Nook, put the old one into the box, taped on the emailed to me UPS label, and dropped it off at the UPS store. All a no charge. I was starting to question switching from Kindle to Nook 6 months ago but am no longer in doubt that I made the right decision.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I have replaced my Nook with B&N 3 times to be exact..3 times with different problems if you can believe that..I demanded on the last time that they give me a new one and they did. I made the comment that is why I purchased the Warranty. All and all it has been a wonderful purchase and I still love the Nook. I have hated dealing with all of the issues but am thankful that B&N has been so helpful and replacing it each time something has went wrong.

Amy (Ldtchr) | 5 comments I just got back from exchanging mine. Had the extended warranty which made it easier. Something messed up with the battery connection I guess. I just went in to my local B&N, they tried to fix it and then they switched it out. It was awesome! Back to reading now :)

Shanna (Snowie) | 8 comments I just had my first Nook issue and I was pleasantly surprised when I called customer service. I had heard all sorts of horror stories but the woman I spoke with was friendly and competent. I told her my issue; I have a crack on one of my direction keys, and right away said she'd get a replacement for me. She gave me two options, one send my Nook back and wait for a replacement or get the replacement and then send the Nook back. I was glad that there were two options because I was dreading the few weeks of being Nookless while my Nook and it's replacement wound their way through the postal system. I don't have the warranty but there was no issue at all with getting my problem addressed.

Robert Zurfluh | 1 comments My nook's display had an area that would no longer refresh, meaning part of the wallpaper/screensaver would always be visible. It was a square area about 1.5 x 1.5 inches. After explaining it to the digital service guys, the went ahead to take my CC number down and sent me a new one. I sent the old one back under warranty. COOL! So I thought....that was mid-May.

3 days ago I saw my credit card was charged $287.27 by barnesandnoble.com Did they call me? No! Did I get an e-mail? No! Maybe they never got my old nook that I sent them back....checked with UPS.com - they got it.

So I had to call....and be on hold....they told me that the screen was cracked, and it was not covered under warranty. I told them that this was not the case. We left the nook in out parked car in the evening for an hour and the screen was frozen after we woke the nook up. He told me was my fault, because it was left in the car and got too hot (NJ May 13th had a high of 68). He also told me that a supervisor would call me back to get it straightened out....never called.

So I called them back again....waiting on the phone. After more of the same I was approved for a refund.

That was a few days ago....nothing posted on my credit card account yet.....will call again in a few days I guess.

Nook is great....not so sure about the way they handle things....slow, poor communication...sad!

Sandra  (Sleo) Gee, Robert! That sounds awful! My experiences with customer service have been positive so far but the only technical issue I've had was with it freezing up. This happened a few times in the beginning, requiring, I thought, removing the battery to restart it. However, after calling CS again, they told me all I had to do was turn it off and then back on again.

I haven't had it happen in a long time, thank goodness.

However, yesterday I started having trouble with my touch screen. I don't think it has ever acted quite right, though. For instance, I didn't know until recently that the screen rolled up and down when you're reading something to show other options. It did this on its own and then I couldn't get it to roll back up so I could perform the search function, which I absolutely love! I finally got it to roll back up, but then it flashed to different modes and switched back into screen saver mode without my command and my heart stopped. I was wondering about repairs and then saw this thread, actually looking for one dealing with technical issues.

This has been helpful. I did not buy the extended warranty, but perhaps with their anxiety to provide good customer service, they will be nice if I have to have it repaired.

I am quite perturbed though that it is now $100 cheaper than the price I paid!

unread topics | mark unread