Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Beyond Heaving Bosoms Reads > 0510-Classic: Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by FlibBityFLooB (last edited Apr 24, 2010 09:29AM) (new)

FlibBityFLooB The authors point out that Heathcliff, the hero of Wuthering Heights, is pretty much a model for most romance novels. However, the authors of Beyond Heaving Bosoms also say that he is an "alphahole they would like to slap around some". (pg 78)

Does Heathcliff have any redeemable qualities? Is this truly one of your favorite classics, or do you prefer books like Jane Eyre instead? Go ahead... try it out and come discuss this month with us :)

message 2: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Average rating on goodreads: 3.69

Description on goodreads:
"Wuthering Heights", Emily Bronte's only novel, is one of the pinnacles of 19th-century English literature. It's the story of Heathcliff, an orphan who falls in love with a girl above his class, loses her, and devotes the rest of his life to wreaking revenge on her family."

message 3: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB I started to read this one after I finished Jane Eyre. I havne't been able to make it all the way through yet as Heathcliff annoys me.

However, I am willing to give it another go this month and make it through this time.

Anyone care to join the endeavor?

message 4: by Dee, Moderator (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7310 comments maybe - i've never read it and one of the challenges this month is for an author who is dead and Ms Bronte is most definately so ;)

message 5: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 711 comments I kept wanting to like Healthcliff but he's so awful and treats her daughter, who looks just like her, terribly. I know he loves Catherine but she ends being a pretty selfish, mean woman who gets what she wants and then isn't happy with it so she takes it out mostly on her husband. They both deserved each other but everyone else shouldn't have to suffer so much. Very depressing book.

message 6: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 394 comments I want to start out by saying that I really am sorry to all those who love this book. That being said, I can move on. I hated this book. In fact, right at this moment I can't think of a book I hated more. Heathcliff is a whiner, not lovable, and very often pathetic. The other characters aren't much better.

The story is so depressing and this depression is even carries over into the next generation. .

Again, so sorry for the passion of my hatred. I would be glad to hear other people's opinions, especially if they like it. Please tell me why you like it and I will keep an open mind. Perhaps I'm just to old for classics; (I read a lot of that in my AP High School English class,) or maybe I just don't get it. Either way, I'm good with that.

message 7: by Thenia (new)

Thenia | 243 comments I'm in! Time to read the classics...

message 8: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB Vanessa -- hehehe. No worries about hating it. I am hoping I can make it through this time. I really loved Jane Eyre, so I thought I would love Wuthering Heights. We'll see if I can make it through this month in the end :)

message 9: by Malia (new)

Malia | 11 comments Jane Eyre, a little overwrought but that's the era-- a lovely story. Wuthering Heights? Just plain neurotic. Mean selfish people being cruel. My teenage daughter read this recently and we had quite a discussion. Read it if only because- love it or hate it--it makes for great
conversation.

message 10: by Beth F. (new)

Beth F. (quietknitter) | 174 comments Jane Eyre is one of my all-time favorite books so I'd hoped to love Emily's novel too. But...I didn't. I read it once on my own and had to read it again for an English lit class in college and that was bad enough. Never again.

message 11: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments I've never read Jane Eyre - I really need to get on that! It's sitting on my bookcase wondering when that will be.

I read Wuthering Heights in high school and really can't remember it at all. I think I liked it but there's no accounting for my teenage tastes. I liked some terrible things if the music I listened to back then is any indication :) I'm in for a reread.

message 12: by Thenia (new)

Thenia | 243 comments I just finished the book.

It was certainly a "heavy" one, but I didn't hate it. It may be everything they say about it, see: depressing etc, but the intensity of Heathcliff's feelings (especially concerning Catherine) will stay with me...

I don't regret reading it and I'll definitely remember it. :)

P.S.: It doesn't get to enter my "favorites" list, though.

message 13: by ~Sara~ (last edited Jun 01, 2010 07:31PM) (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments When reading Wurthering Heights, it's hard to not be drawn into the emotions, even though they are mostly negative. Heathcliff is bitter, cruel, and abusive, but it's no wonder with his treatment after the death of his rescuer, Catherine's father. Catherine is his only friend, but she is capricious and sometimes quite callous towards him. When he feels she has betrayed him, he leaves to make his fortune so when he comes back, he can have revenge on them all. In the end, he is unable to do that and his love for Catherine ends up bringing about a softening in his attitude and a madness that results in his death. Regardless of his sins and character faults, I can't help but feel bad for him and wish his life turned out better.
The main reason why I like this book is because of the emotional reversal at the end. After so much unhappiness; betrayal, cruelty, abuse, kidnapping, etc., the hope for the future gives me such a feeling of contentment it wipes away all the misery. The greater the sorrow I feel when reading a book, the greater my joy at a happy conclusion!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wuthering Heights (other topics)
Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches' Guide to Romance Novels (other topics)