Simplified Living discussion

Family Room > What got you interested in living simpler?

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy, Moderator (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 42 comments Mod
Most of my life, I've been interested in creative ways to reuse everyday items. Prom dresses made from pop can tabs, pictures designed from material fragments, all are the kind of things that intrigue me. I'm fascinated with people's ingenuity to come up with these kind of ideas as well as finding ways to repurpose for my family.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy (pumpkinvine) | 5 comments I think what got me interested was realizing that the more "stuff" I have, the more complicated my life is. I am far from living simply, but I try to utilize those principles as much as I can.

message 3: by Judy, Moderator (new)

Know what you mean, Amy. You may be interested in a new book called, The Story of Stuff: How Our Obsession with Stuff is Trashing the Planet, Our Communities, and Our Health - and a Vision for Change. I have it reserved at my library, and am excited about reading it.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy (pumpkinvine) | 5 comments That sounds interesting. I will have to look for that!

message 5: by Judy, Moderator (new)

Amy,

Do you mind sharing some of your secrets to keep things simple?

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy (pumpkinvine) | 5 comments I have two main strategies that I try to use. One is saying no. In the past I have become over-committed, and it made me miserable and made my life too complicated. The second strategy is getting rid of unnecessary possessions, and limit the amount of stuff I buy. I am by no means an expert, and I'm not successful 100% of the time, but they are definitely things to strive for.

How about you? What do you do to try to simplify your life?

message 7: by Judy, Moderator (new)

A lot the same. I try not to buy on impulse and if it is a bigger expenditure assess whether we really need it, if we can do without, do with less or repurpose and get the same result. I think being organized helps because one is less likely to buy the same item twice. Yeah, I think we are on the same track. :-)

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy (pumpkinvine) | 5 comments I just saw the author of The Story of Stuff on CSpan. Very eloquent speaker. Now I'm even more interested in reading the book!

message 9: by Jan (new)

Jan (Auntyjan) | 9 comments Amy wrote: "I think what got me interested was realizing that the more "stuff" I have, the more complicated my life is. I am far from living simply, but I try to utilize those principles as much as I can."
I have too much stuff and yet when I go on holidays, I like the simplicity of just a few clothes, shoes, books etc. So why don't I just toss it all out? The trouble is I was brought up with 'waste not, want not'...when things were scarcer. As I've gone through life, I've accumulated more and more. I've still got most of the toys my kids ever played with! Two of these kids have left home! And the one who is still at home is 19 and doesn't need toys! Of course, it's good to have a selection for when the granddaughters come to visit, and also the great-nieces and great-nephews, but I have enough for a childcare centre! And if you want to know about me and books, see my post numbers 55 and 59 in Aussie Readers. http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...
I even have 5 or 6 books on decluttering...now if I could just find where I put them.....

I have found some very good sites on minimalism. I think there must be a half-way point between minimalism and where I'm at right now, that I could settle for...I'll never be a minimalist...I love variety too much...but there must be a point of balance somewhere...and I'm trying to find it.

message 10: by Judy, Moderator (new)

I hear you, Jan. I probably am closer to a minimalist for everyday things, but when it comes to sewing, craft and fabric stuff, I like the variety.

message 11: by carol (new)

carol moates | 5 comments I basically feel like I was born in the wrong time period. Always wished I was born 100 years ago on the plains. I can hunt, trap, tan, camp and cook outdoors, am a clincally certified Herbalist (yes, I know it is not legal in the US). I relish all the old ways and believe they are best and healthiest, altho much more difficult but oh so more rewarding.

message 12: by carol (new)

carol moates | 5 comments I basically feel like I was born in the wrong time period. Always wished I was born 100 years ago on the plains. I can hunt, trap, tan, camp and cook outdoors, am a clincally certified Herbalist (yes, I know it is not legal in the US). I relish all the old ways and believe they are best and healthiest, altho much more difficult but oh so more rewarding.

message 13: by Judy, Moderator (new)

Its funny you said that! My sister and I have both discussed how we would have loved to live in a time when things were simpler, not so busy ...

Here is a link to a website you may appreciate (speaking of hunting, trapping, etc.)

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/

unread topics | mark unread