Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Foreign Films > Dutch/German/French...ALL European Movies You Have Just Watched

Comments (showing 1-50 of 581) (581 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| | 482 comments So we could talk about these movies...!

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| | 482 comments *a week later i check the post and ...*

ok...he he i get this world movies channel that i wish i could watch movies on if i find one or two people from MWHJW : that's this group btw, who like to read a movie (subtitles)...hehe ...so i guess not.

np :)

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 465 comments Have you seen movies like Love in Thoughts (Was Nützt Die Liebe In Gedanken) with Daniel Bruhl and August Diehl? Really nice movie.

message 4: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 8860 comments it's just that this entire folder is for foreign films ....

and i don't watch television, so i can't be someone you could add on your list for the cable channel you want to join.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 465 comments I didn't see Love in Thoughts on TV as I dont have a TV in Cracow.

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| | 482 comments Yeah, well I realised I am not the one to join the channel either *grins sheepishly* I sort of watched this German movie where the youth are having fun at the local run down disco and this crazy old dame wants to hunt them down.

I didn't see Love in Thoughts, maybe if the guy is cute...:)

I did like a few French movies, well they were a bit silly and mostly to do with Audrey Tautou's tomboyish attempts at finding love. (I think she was in Da Vinci Code, I haven't seen that either)

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 465 comments I think that Daniel Bruhl is cute.

message 8: by Gary (new)

Gary | 8 comments So many great French movies, Delicatessen, The City of Lost Children, Taxi, Taxi 2, Doberman and loads of others that I can't quite remember right now.

For Dutch movies I've only seen a couple, old Paul Verhoeven movies with Rutger Hauer from before they started making movies in America.

The only German Movie I can remember seeing is Downfall which is about the fall of the third reich and is easy the best WW2 movie I've seen. Also I was in a cinema museum in Berlin a couple of years ago and saw about 15 mins of Fritz Lang's Metropolis.

Then possibly my favorite central European movie is Man Bites Dog which is from Belgium, a really dark black comedy satire about the media.

message 9: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 8860 comments the berlin film museum is an awesome place. are you talking about the one at plotzdammer place? - the entrance is amazing - where you walk in on that catwalk and are suspended over all those flat screen broadcasting images from early german cinema...outstanding.

message 10: by Gary (new)

Gary | 8 comments Yeah, thats the place, it was amazing, I'd love to go back there again. I was with a few mates and one was a film student who loves German cinema who thought it was the best place in the world.

message 11: by Kim Marie (new)

Kim Marie | 31 comments Hi Phillip (waves)......pleased to hear that you liked Breaker Morant too.

Das Boot is probably the classic German movie that springs to my mind....brilliant.

The most recent French movie I've watched was Un long dimanche de fiancailles with Audrey Tautou and Gaspard Ulliel. There was even a surprise cameo appearance by Jodie Foster.

message 12: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 8860 comments the most recent french film i watched was melville's army of shadows, which was repressed and never shown in america until about three or four years ago. amazing film depicting the last days of the french resistance.

message 13: by Tom (new)

Tom | 4005 comments I'll be seeing the restored METROPOLIS at some point in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait to check it out.

message 14: by melbourne (new)

melbourne (cocho) | 80 comments I just watched a film called the Northface, from Germany, which was quite good...

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| | 482 comments I have a feeling I would love the Plotzdammer place...

I think there's a library like that too, where you have to walk down a suspension bridge to a multiplex of books, books...

I watched this Dutch movie called magonia, it was nice in parts and had three or four stories interwoven in to the script, with possibly from other eras, umm..can't be sure. It had this really nice segment on umm...let's say Turkish immigrants which was really well done, but kind of didn't make sense in the whole story. After a while I gave up reading subtitles and have no clue who ends up with who. :)

message 16: by Sam (new)

Sam | 547 comments Tom wrote: "I'll be seeing the restored METROPOLIS at some point in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait to check it out."

ack - so jealous

message 17: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 8860 comments and it's at the castro...let me just repeat that for the studio audience.

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam | 547 comments Phillip wrote: "and it's at the castro...let me just repeat that for the studio audience."

like I wasn't already jealous enough ... bah

message 19: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 8860 comments yeah, but now you can at least visualize it...having been there and all.

message 20: by Sam (new)

Sam | 547 comments I sometimes wonder if I may have dreamt that I went to the Castro ...

message 21: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 8860 comments anything is possible. was it a good dream?

message 23: by St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures (last edited Jul 28, 2010 11:23AM) (new)

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| | 482 comments *a month later*

ok I just had to post about this nice little French drama called 8 Women, seen it and liked it.

ummm. it's about this old french guy named Marcel (well actually it's more about these 8 women who know Marcel). It's unbelievale, everyone's mad at everyone else and possibly having affairs with or without Marcel and one day he ..well he decides to kill himself or something and we also have a few french songs here and there, all the women in the movie have their own song, so anyway, it's quite fun.

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 465 comments On Tuesday I saw The Lives of Others. Finally. Great movie.

message 25: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 8860 comments yeah, the lives of others - that's one i want to go back and re-visit.

message 26: by Tom (new)

Tom | 4005 comments Yeah, I was really surprised by LIVES OF OTHERS when I finally saw it, fine film. I remember thinking that the guy in the lead was delivering the intelligent understated nuanced performance that Kevin Spacey thinks he's been delivering all these years.

message 27: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments Agree re: Lives of Others. Saw it in the theater, a memorable experience. Would love to see more films covering this period in Germany.

message 28: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 8860 comments have you seen the lost honor of katarina blum? not the same exact territory but a very compelling film.

message 29: by Sooz (new)

Sooz Anna wrote: "On Tuesday I saw The Lives of Others. Finally. Great movie."

a perfect title for this movie. really good endings seem hard to come by, but The Lives of Others nailed it. the last scene - the main character's last line of dialogue is perfect. i.m.o.

message 30: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments Wow...can't believe there is so little action on this thread, with all the great foreign films out there. So many people stay away from these films from some strange reason of being scared of subtitles or whatever. It pains me to think of the films I would have missed had I followed their lead.

Germany could have a thread all its own -- M, METROPOLIS, WINGS OF DESIRE, BLUE ANGEL, NOSFERATU, DAS BOOT

France -- ELEVATOR TO THE GALLOWS, 400 BLOWS, DIABOLIQUE, LE FEMME NIKITA, BREATHLESS, LE GRANDE ILLUSION, WAGES OF FEAR

Netherlands -- I can only think of one at the moment, but it's a goodie -- THE VANISHING.

What about films from Eastern Europe and Scandanavia? Can those go here too, or is there a thread for them elsewhere? Such as --
SEVENTH SEAL, VIRGIN SPRING, WILD STRAWBERRIES, FANNY AND ALEXANDER, and SMILES OF A SUMMER NIGHT (Ingmar Bergman),
PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC, VAMPYR, DAY OF WRATH, and ORDET (Carl Dreyer),
CLOSELY WATCHED TRAINS (Jiri Menzel),
HAXAN (Benjamin Christiansen),

And of course the Japanese films of Kurosawa and Ozu cannot be left out either.

What's this World Movies Channel you mentioned? I wish we had such a thing here in Texas.

I'm ready to talk foreign films any time anyone else is ready!:)

message 31: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) France is really the noir capital of the world these days. SO many great crime films coming out of France... The Memory of a Killer, The Beat that My Heart Skipped ( a remake of a Harvey Keitel joint from the 70s called Fingers), 13 Tzameti, directed by a Hungarian (Hungary has one of the best film scenes going these days) who's living in France now. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

They're also doing better horror than anyone in the western hemisphere, but my rule of thumb for the past decade has been "the more publicity a French horror film gets in America, the worse it's going to suck." So we actually get crap like Haute Tension and A l'Interieur and Frontiere(s) on the big screen in this country, while gorgeous, creepy little flicks like Calvaire and Sheitan (starring Vincent Cassel) and Saint Ange (starring Catriona McCall) are utterly ignored.

message 32: by Sooz (last edited Sep 01, 2010 09:49AM) (new)

Sooz mmmmm .... they (French film makers) aren't doing too badly in the drama department either. The Class, Tell No One, I've Loved You So Long, and Summer Hours come immediately to mind.

message 33: by Phillip (last edited Sep 01, 2010 07:10PM) (new)

Phillip | 8860 comments Cindy wrote: "Wow...can't believe there is so little action on this thread, with all the great foreign films out there. So many people stay away from these films from some strange reason of being scared of subti..."

well, i think the "foreign" folder works fine - i wasn't sure why we needed to single out german - dutch and french films for one thread. but oh well. if i see a film i tend to review the film and not think about this particular thread.

you asked why don't we have a thread for eastern europe, russia, et al, and again, i don't see the point - the foreign folder works for me. if you see a russian film, review it and start a thread...

you mentioned a lot of bergman films. i think i started a bergman thread a long time ago - i guess people don't look at the old threads.

message 34: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 8860 comments Sooz wrote: "mmmmm .... they (French film makers) aren't doing too badly in the drama department either. The Class, Tell No One, I've Loved You So Long, and Summer Hours come immediately to mind."

i really liked i've loved you so long....i think we had a little discussion on that a while ago.

again, most of the films that people have mentioned in the past few days here have all been discussed. feel free to go back and look at the older threads on this and you will probably find a thread for most of the ones that have been mentioned. most of those french horror films (i was really impressed recently with "them" - or ils in the original language). inside was brutal in the end, but did an excellent job of building tension throughout.

message 35: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments I'm new around these parts so I didn't know about the old threads. But I know now, and I'll go check them out! Thanks!

message 36: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) The French one that was supposed to be Victor Hugo's daughter, and she went to stalk him, and she became blind, and at the end she is walking around like a zombie.

message 37: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Phillip wrote: "i guess people don't look at the old threads. "

GR could make it a touch easier. But if I get started on UI improvements around here, I'd be going all day...

message 38: by Tom (new)

Tom | 4005 comments Robin, I think you mean THE STORY OF ADELE H.

message 39: by Sooz (new)

Sooz Phillip: is Them the movie of the couple who are terrorized in their home one night? or was that a different one? i quite liked it anyway .... and the ending of that one was so quietly disturbing. so nicely done.

message 40: by Phillip (last edited Sep 02, 2010 08:39AM) (new)

Phillip | 8860 comments sooz, yes - ils (them) is a true story of a couple that was terrorized by four kids. i thought it was outstanding. so much terror, so little gore - my kind of film. i wrote a review of it recently and posted it here somewhere.

message 41: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 8860 comments Robert wrote: "Phillip wrote: "i guess people don't look at the old threads. "

GR could make it a touch easier. But if I get started on UI improvements around here, I'd be going all day..."

agreed - and doing searches on this site - or this group - isn't so easy. i have typed in the titles of films that i know we have discussed and the threads don't come up. i recommend just browsing the titles of the films in the foreign folder though - a lot of titles are there.

message 42: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) To Tom, yes i had a brain fart about the title, thanks.

message 43: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (TammyMerlot) | 6 comments I saw the French flick Amelie last night and enjoyed it. Thought it was cute and kind of funny, even though I didn't care too much for the magical realism.

Does anyone have recommendations for similar movies? It was nice to watch something different ...

message 44: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Amelie is good, Before Coco Chanel is good, that tells more of her background, etc.

message 45: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) msg#30 Hi Cindy, I did see Wild Strawberries and Scenes from a Summer Night, also. I got Wild Strawberries off of Northern Exposure episodes I watched. So you are not alone.

message 46: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Tammy wrote: "Does anyone have recommendations for ..."

Yeah-- the stuff Jeunet did with Marc Caro. Delicatessen and The City of Lost Children are both endlessly fascinating. The comedy, I should say, is slightly less... gentle, shall we say. Another brilliant director in the same vein is Anders Thomas Jensen (Adam's Apples, The Green Butchers).

message 47: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Another one that is sad is the Edith Piaf story. The actress who portrayed her did an excellent job.

message 48: by Phillip (last edited Sep 04, 2010 08:37AM) (new)

Phillip | 8860 comments that was marion cotillard in la vie en rose.

message 49: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (TammyMerlot) | 6 comments Thanks for the recommendations! I'll be sure to add them to my queue.

message 50: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Good luck and good viewing:)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

unread topics | mark unread