Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Extras! > Top 10 Teen/YA Authors You'd Like To Meet!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 118) (118 new)    post a comment »

Robyn Hawk (aflyonthewall) | 53 comments I hope that my cross posting this question isn't offensive...trying to get some ideas beyond my personal taste!

I have been honored with the job of lining up and contacting Teen/YA Authors for the largest Children's Book Festival in the country. The Orange County Children's Book Festival is introducing it's first ever Teen Stage! The even is in sunny SoCal - one day only (October 3rd) - 24,000 attended last year's event!

OK - back to my original question - I have been talking to lots of great authors - but - I want YOUR thoughts...

Who would be on your Top Ten List of Authors you would love to meet?

...and remember that this needs to be a fairly well-rounded group - chicklit - guylit - reality - paranormal - fiction - nonfiction - graphic novels...you get the picture!

Robyn Hawk
@ReadingItAll
http://booksreadingitall.blogspot.com/

OC Children's Book Festival, Teen Stage Coordinator
http://www.kidsbookfestival.com/
follow us at: @kidsbookfest
http://www.facebook.com/OCCBF

Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * | 7184 comments Ohhhh I wish I could attend. The Midwest always gets robbed! Anyhoo if we are talking "dream" authors, here is my list:

Markus Zusak
Kristin Cashore
Suzanne Collins
Maggie Stiefvater
John Green
Patrick Ness
Michael Grant
Meg Cabot
Neil Gaiman (just to hear him talk :)

S.S. (SSRice) | 74 comments Reginald Hill
Charles de Lint
Guy Gavriel Kay
Neil Gaiman
Scott Westerfeld
Maggie Stiefvater (creative person. met her at a VA conference)
Libba Bray

Robyn Hawk (aflyonthewall) | 53 comments Heidi wrote: "Ohhhh I wish I could attend. The Midwest always gets robbed! Anyhoo if we are talking "dream" authors, here is my list:
Neil Gaiman (just to hear him talk :)

I am with you there Heidi - but unfortunately Neil is in England so travel expenses are crazy! But I did ask him...you gave me a couple new leads...Thanks!

BTW - did you know that Neil is on Twitter and does answer tweets occasionally? @neilhimself

Jaimie (JaimieR) | 1275 comments Heidi's list is pretty similar to mine but I would add Megan McCafferty and Louise Rennison.

Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * | 7184 comments I did not know that Robyn. I am not on Twitter, can you read his tweets without an account? He reads all his audio books and is such a wonderful narrator you forget he is not an actor.

Becca | 1608 comments I second Suzanne Collins and as for others:

Terry Brooks
Susan Cooper
Rick Riordan
J.K. Rowling
and Christopher Paolini

I would love to meet any of these in person!

message 8: by Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * (last edited Apr 21, 2010 02:30PM) (new)

Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * | 7184 comments I forgot Neal Shusterman and I did not put JK in because there is NO way, but dare to dream!

Becca | 1608 comments I dream big! When I find a good author I stick to em like glue through their entire career, and those are just a few that I absolutely love.

Robyn Hawk (aflyonthewall) | 53 comments Heidi wrote: "I did not know that Robyn. I am not on Twitter, can you read his tweets without an account? He reads all his audio books and is such a wonderful narrator you forget he is not an actor."

You can see some of them here: http://twitter.com/neilhimself

He was stuck in an airport for quite awhile ;-p

Robyn Hawk (aflyonthewall) | 53 comments Rowling is the same problem as Gaiman - travel expenses.

...I agree Dream Big! the worst that could happen is someone says no!

Thanks for the recommendations you are giving me a lot of excellent feedback.

Roshini | 243 comments Heidi wrote: "Ohhhh I wish I could attend. The Midwest always gets robbed! Anyhoo if we are talking "dream" authors, here is my list:

Markus Zusak
Kristin Cashore
[author:Suzan..."

Heidi, at least you're in the same country. I'm halfway around the globe with no hope of attending at all!:-(

Roshini | 243 comments Heidi wrote: "True Roshini :)"

Sad, sad:-(

Chachic | 353 comments I second (third?) Kristin Cashore and Suzanne Collins. Others on my list are:

Megan Whalen Turner (she's currently in San Diego)
Sherwood Smith (lives in SoCal)
Tamora Pierce
Jonathan Stroud
Shannon Hale
Robin McKinley
Diana Wynne Jones
Philip Pullman
Madeleine L'Engle

Chachic | 353 comments Roshini, we have the same problem! I have no hope of attending this event. :(

Roshini | 243 comments Chachic wrote: "Roshini, we have the same problem! I have no hope of attending this event. :("

So sad! Where are you at?

Chachic | 353 comments Philippines! What about you?

Roshini | 243 comments Chachic wrote: "Philippines! What about you?"

Close! Malaysia!:-)

Chachic | 353 comments Yay for Southeast Asia! Too bad though we don't get any events here.

Roshini | 243 comments Chachic wrote: "Yay for Southeast Asia! Too bad though we don't get any events here."

Maybe we should try organising one?:-)

Robyn Hawk (aflyonthewall) | 53 comments Roshini and Chachic - I will see if I can get lots of photos and maybe some video...almost as good as being there!

Chachic | 353 comments Roshini, maybe we should! But I don't know where we'll find the funds to pay for the authors' airfare and accomodations. :P

Robyn, yes that would be great!

Roshini | 243 comments Robyn wrote: "Roshini and Chachic - I will see if I can get lots of photos and maybe some video...almost as good as being there!"

Thanks Robyn! maybe one day I can actually make it for one of these events!

Chachic - good question! I wonder if it's possible to get sponsors?

message 25: by Chachic (last edited Apr 22, 2010 10:52PM) (new)

Chachic | 353 comments I have no idea actually! It would be great if sponsors are willing to do something like that. I think they'll be worried if there's enough of a market for an event.

Roshini | 243 comments Chachic wrote: "I have no idea actually! It would be great if sponsors are willing to do something like that. I think they'll be worried if there's enough of a market for an event."

It would be good if they could. Publishing houses in Southeast Asia should get involved. I'm sure there are more YA enthusiasts on this side of the world. It can't be just us!:-)

Robyn Hawk (aflyonthewall) | 53 comments Check out the High Schools - most of them are looking for a way to get teens to read - work with the teachers and librarians...start the ball rolling...

Chachic | 353 comments Hmm I highly doubt that it's going to be big here, I don't think we have programs for that. I mean we don't even have libraries over here. I'd love for it to happen though.

Lani (Crahfty) | 253 comments My choices are also similiar to those already suggested:

John Green (whom I actually just met last night!)
David Levithan (met him last night too!)

They were both in Indianapolis for a book signing of Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Suzanne Collins
Sarah Dessen
Laurie Halse Anderson
Cassandra Clare
Scott Westerfeld
James Dashner
Simone Elkeles
Elizabeth Scott

That's my 10. I tried to add more variety!

Becca | 1608 comments Chachic wrote: "I second (third?) Kristin Cashore and Suzanne Collins. Others on my list are:

Megan Whalen Turner (she's currently in San Diego)
Sherwood Smith (lives in SoCal)
Tamora Pierce
Jonathan Stroud
..."

I love Shannon Hale! and Megan Whalen Turner! Shannon Hale is here in Utah (ya, I'm in Utah), so she could be there in a flash.

Robyn Hawk (aflyonthewall) | 53 comments OK - that's a name I'm not familiar with (ooohhhh - The Goose Girl!)...thanks Becca!

Robyn

Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * | 7184 comments Yes, Shannon Hale would be an excellent choice too. Has anyone mentioned Gail Carson Levine?

Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * | 7184 comments Congrats on meeting John Green Lani :)

Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * | 7184 comments Congrats on meeting John Green Lani :)

Jill | 68 comments I would like to meet Tonya Hurley (Ghostgirl). Ace of Cakes made a cake for a book signing and she seemed like a very humble and down to earth person. I can't wait for the third book to come out.

Becca | 1608 comments Robyn - Stephanie Meyer is in Utah too, not that I would want to meet her, but I know A LOT of people that would. Also Brandon Mull, the author of the Fablehaven series lives in my neighborhood and boy is he a COOL guy! He really connects with the younger generation and I have a ton of respect for him as a person, not just an author. He would definitely be on my list of people I'd want my little bros/sisters/children to meet at your festival.

Witchy Books (witchybooks) | 3 comments Robyn wrote:"...unfortunately Neil is in England so travel expenses are crazy!"

Actually, Neil lives in Minnesota. He travels a lot, and is originally from England, so he spends a lot of time over there, but these days he is based in Minnesota. (Though who knows what will happen when he marries Amanda Palmer, who lives in Boston!)

ℐess  (jhuch) | 30 comments Heidi wrote: "Ohhhh I wish I could attend. The Midwest always gets robbed! Anyhoo if we are talking "dream" authors, here is my list:

Markus Zusak
Kristin Cashore
[author:Suzan..."

AGREED on the Midwest getting robbed!

ℐess  (jhuch) | 30 comments Becca wrote: "Robyn - Stephanie Meyer is in Utah too, not that I would want to meet her, but I know A LOT of people that would. Also Brandon Mull, the author of the Fablehaven series lives in my neighborhood and..."

I am jealous that you live so close to Mull-I love his writing! I would second many of the names, but specifically:
Suzanne Collins
Maggie Stiefvater
Kristin Cashore
Cassandra Clare
James Dashner
Frank Beddor

Stiefvater comments and interacts with readers often on her blog and Clare and Dashner are so much fun to talk to on Twitter.

My husband met Frank Beddor at C2E2 in Chicago, and said he was fantastically awesome. I became friends with him on FB through that meeting, and have been trying to set up something for him to come to my school. Check out his website-it is fantastic, and has great video of him speaking at a school.

Robyn Hawk (aflyonthewall) | 53 comments ℐess ✪ wrote: "Stiefvater comments and interacts with readers often on her blog and Clare and Dashner are so much fun to talk to on Twitter.

My husband met Frank Beddor at C2E2 in Chicago, and said he was fantastically awesome. I became friends with him on FB through that meeting, and have been trying to set up something for him to come to my school. Check out his website-it is fantastic, and has great video of him speaking at a school..."

Cassandra Clare was one of the first people I wrote to - she has a prior engagement - I agree - I love talking to authors on Twitter...I thought I did write to Frank Beddor - but - now that you mention him I haven't heard back...will have to follow up there.

Robyn Hawk (aflyonthewall) | 53 comments BTW - I am really appreciative of everyone's suggestions - I am in the processs of moving and don't have an internet connection at home yet - I apologize for the sporadic posts.

message 42: by Tanya (last edited Jul 09, 2010 02:37PM) (new)

Tanya Mac (YOYOCHKMEOUTHOTMAILCOM) | 45 comments I keep checking Shannon Hale's website. She lives in my area and when I found out about here latest book signing I was a day too late...doh! Someday.....

Becca | 1608 comments I have yet to buy any of her books, but they are all on my wishlist. Would love to get some signed copies.

Stephanie | 8 comments Robyn wrote: "ℐess ✪ wrote: "Stiefvater comments and interacts with readers often on her blog and Clare and Dashner are so much fun to talk to on Twitter.

My husband met Frank Beddor at C2E2 in Chicago, and ..."

i think you're right. cassandra clare is amazing!

Stephanie | 8 comments i would defininely love to meet

Cassandra Clare ( for sure! i adore her)

Stephenie Meyer

Meg Cabot (i think shes really good)

Robyn Hawk (aflyonthewall) | 53 comments These are the problems we are having - publishers can't afford to send authors out so we are having luck with local SoCal authors.

Cassandra Clare has a prior commitment on that day - but I totally agree and she was in my top ten also. Frank Beddor has been involved in the past...for most authors it is all about whether they have a book dropping around the date of the event.

I am compiling a list of the authors and illustrators we already have and will announce soon!

Robyn

Tanya Mac (YOYOCHKMEOUTHOTMAILCOM) | 45 comments Cayla Kluver would be a good one. She is a teen herself but has written a great book and is working on its sequel.

Robyn Hawk (aflyonthewall) | 53 comments She would be FAB - but we can't afford to pay travel expenses and she lives in Wisconsin! Bummmer!

Belle Black (BelleB) | 2 comments I know, travel expenses... but here's mine:

Sarah Rees Brennan

Rachael (piperbunny) Maggie Stiefvater - she's just been in the UK as well and I missed out DOH!

« previous 1 3