Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2010 Challenge Archive > May - Pick It For Me! Challenge

Comments (showing 401-450 of 498) (498 new)    post a comment »

message 401: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Jennefer wrote: "Hi Morgan!

Your shelves are full of books that are new to me so I am going to do my best! Let me know if nothing looks good and I will try again :)

Your TBR: I have literally not read a single t..."

Hey Jennifer

I finished Slave to Sensation...Wow thank you so much for the recomendation. It is nice to read a story line that hasn't been done a hundred times.

Well I believe I will move on to more of your recomendations. Happy reading.

message 402: by Rossy (last edited May 17, 2010 12:34PM) (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments 5/18 Update: Congratulations!

51. Melanie(22)Finished
44. Angelique(21)Finished
32. Angela(26)Finished
18. Nairabell(23)Finished
27. Delicious Dee(28)Finished
6. Harper(28)Finished
3. Leah(17)Finished
15. Annvelwis(26)Finished
8. Debbie(39)Finished
43. Morgan(30)Finished
13. Elke(32)Finished
5. Penney(39)Finished
41. Chichimo(25*)Finished
25. Sandy(40)Finished
9. J Bug(25*)Finished
53. Tatiana(28)Finished
48. Fran(43)Finished
33. Angie(28)Finished
17. Photojim(41)Finished
4. Diane (deebotte)(40)Finished
46. Natalie(18)Finished
30. KimKirt(45)Finished
22. Gus(21)Finished

message 403: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 1336 comments Sheila wrote: "Thanks Rossy and Melanie. I really didn't expect to be able to join in the challenge this month since I found your group so late. Melanie I appreciate your suggestions and actually just started I..."

No problem Sheila:-) I complicated things a little at the beginning of the month when I was late with my recs, but now I'm on a roll:-)
I hope you like the recs:-) Immortal in Death was great! Have you read the first two?

I finally received the 5th Ceremony in Death... I was getting a little crazy waiting:-)

message 404: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (SheilaJ) Hi Melanie. Yep I have already read Naked in Death and Glory in Death which are books 1 and 2. I also read Midnight in Death which I think is #7. I am trying to read them in order if possible. I've enjoyed them all so far. Immortal in Death starts out with Eve shopping for a dress which she is most certainly not "in" to. I just started it last night, but so far it is pretty funny.
You mentioned Speak - Laurie Halse Anderson, was that made in to a lifetime movie? I think I remember seeing a movie with that name and theme.

Melanie, You also mentioned Julie Garwood. If you haven't read her books you are in for a treat. I have read 3 of her books (out of order) and loved Murder List the most but then I lean towards the mystery genre.
Thanks again for the recomendations I love those because it opens a whole new world when you come across a new author that you truly enjoy, of course if they have a bibliography as long as Nora Roberts ye ole TBR list takes a major hit :)

message 405: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 1336 comments Sheila - Yeah, Speak was made into a movie (one of Kristen Stewart's first I think).. But the book was great.. Never read Julie Garwood, but I just ordered a bunch!!
I almost have as many books on my TBR as I do on my read list, lol (although I'm still putting books on my read list that I read over the past 10 yrs... seeing as I have over 3000 books in my room, that takes time, lol), Julie Garwood/Nora Roberts/SEP take up a lot of extra place, lol :-)

Anyhow, happy reading:-)

message 406: by Penney (new)

Penney (pschoener) | 3553 comments Angelique wrote: "DONE!!! I really liked Darkfever and I've already started reading Bloodfever.

Thanks for the suggestion Penney!"

I'm so happy you enjoyed Darkfever. I don't know how you feel about audiobooks, but that's how I read the entire series (and fell in love with Barrons!) Some people aren't really crazy about the narrator for the first 3 books but the last one, Dreamfever, used a new female narrator and added Phil Gigante (heavenly voice) for the male characters. Listening to his voice makes household chores a pleasure :)

message 407: by Elke (new)

Elke (ejurca) | 1526 comments Rachel wrote: "Elke wrote: "Rachel, ok these are all books that I have read and liked.....

From your TBR list:

1. Vision in White #1 by Nora Roberts Actually I recommend all the Brid..."

ok, I am DONE!! I decided to read The Mackade Brother series. I finished Rafe and Jared...onto Devin and Shane! Loved the first one, I am sure I will love the second one! Thanks again for the suggestions!

message 408: by Penney (new)

Penney (pschoener) | 3553 comments Hi Angelique,

DONE! I finished Wild Card and really enjoyed it. It made me laugh a little, cry a lot and role over and grab my husband many times... lol! ;) Thanks for the recommendation, I don't know if I would have read it otherwise. And you've even given me other books to add to my TBR
Thanks!

message 409: by ~Vixhen~ (last edited May 12, 2010 02:19PM) (new)

~Vixhen~ (Vixhen) | 67 comments Hi Charlotte:

I'm finished The Darkest Night. It was pretty good. (I had previously read book 3 - The Darkest Pleasure - before I realized it was part of a series). I am going to try Welcome to Temptation once I start buying books again :)

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 560 comments Chichimo aka ~ "Vixhen" ~ wrote: "Hi Charlotte:

I'm finished The Darkest Night. It was pretty good. (I had previously read book 3 - The Darkest Pleasure - before I realized it was part of a series). I am going to try..."

I'm glad you liked it, Maddox is still my favourite lord.

My copy of The Vampire Queen's Servant has arrived, had a quick flick through - damn, it's hot!!

message 411: by ~Vixhen~ (new)

~Vixhen~ (Vixhen) | 67 comments Charlotte (Buried in Books) wrote: "Chichimo aka ~ "Vixhen" ~ wrote: "Hi Charlotte:

I'm finished The Darkest Night. It was pretty good. (I had previously read book 3 - The Darkest Pleasure - before I realized it was..."

If you like HOT, the Vampire Queen Series will have you turning on the A.C. - It's one of my favorite series!

message 412: by Penney (last edited May 12, 2010 03:41PM) (new)

Penney (pschoener) | 3553 comments Chichimo aka ~ "Vixhen" ~ wrote: "Charlotte (Buried in Books) wrote: "Chichimo aka ~ "Vixhen" ~ wrote: "Hi Charlotte:

I'm finished The Darkest Night. It was pretty good. (I had previously read book 3 - The Darkest P..."

Thanks Ladies you just gave me a great title for the "It's Just a Game" Challenge... The Vampire Queen's Servant will fit nicely in the Chess Category. Looks like a great one!

message 413: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Yeah, thanks. I'm going to see if i can get this one first for that category, or the one i previously chose.

message 414: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandyc88) | 1209 comments Done!
Katherine, thanks for recommending A Certain Slant of Light. I had not heard of this book before, so I had no idea what it was about or what to expect. It's very different from anything I've read before. Is it a romance? A ghost story? A tale of adolescent angst? All of the above! At first, I likened it to The Lovely Bones, but then it became its own unique story. As someone who majored in English, I really enjoyed the literary references, too. Thanks again!

LethalLovely~Maybe I've Always Been More Comfortable in Chaos (LethalLovely) | 822 comments Still waiting for my May pick to come on hold at the library. The only copy is 5 days overdue. Meh.

message 416: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleylaura87) | 444 comments Hi Kassa!

I JUST received A Secret Rage and Meridian from the library. Should be starting them soon! :) Yay!!

To read:
A Secret Rage by Charlaine Harris Meridian by Amber Kizer

message 417: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Sandy wrote: "Done!
Katherine, thanks for recommending A Certain Slant of Light. I had not heard of this book before, so I had no idea what it was about or what to expect. It's very different fro..."

If you see a woman on the streets surrounded by books, that's me. You guys are killing me with this interesting recs.!

message 418: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (SheilaJ) I know I added A Certain Slant of Light to my TBR list as well and I am not even in the challenge! ;(

message 419: by Angelique (new)

Angelique Anderson | 182 comments I'm so glad you enjoyed it Penney! And I really owe a big thanks for recommending Darkfever! It has to be one of my top three favorite series of all time!

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (Jim_formerly_Photojim) | 5294 comments Not waiting any more. I went out and bought Pleasure Unbound today. I'll let you know my thoughts in the next couple of days.

message 421: by Dee, Moderator (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7310 comments enjoy photojim! I love the series and can't wait for the 5th one to come out

message 422: by Buggy (new)

Buggy | 59 comments Jen(jikish)I just finished Naked in Death. I found it a bit of a struggle for the first 100 pages or so. I'm not a huge fan of cop suspense and I didn't really care for Eve but then Roarke showed up and saved the book for me. Thanks for the recemendation Jen(Jikish), I now have a new literary boyfriend and can see myself continuing with the series. Cheers

message 423: by Jen (jlkish) (new)

Jen (jlkish) (jlkish) | 30 comments J Bug wrote: "Jen(jikish)I just finished Naked in Death. I found it a bit of a struggle for the first 100 pages or so. I'm not a huge fan of cop suspense and I didn't really care for Eve but then R..."

I'm glad you ended up liking it... It's been a while since I read the early books in the series, so I had forgotten that the 1st wasn't necessarily as good as others have ended up being... I gotta admit, though, Roarke is what keeps me coming back to this series! :)

I'm trying to decide which of your suggestions to read... I've gotten Covet, Hunger Games, and Certain Slant of Light out from the library (and am waiting impatiently to get Lover Mine) so even if I don't end up reading all of them this month, they'll likely all get read this month and next! Thanks again for all the great suggestions.

message 424: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Finished my pick - Still Life (Armand Gamache, #1) by Louise Penny

message 425: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 8239 comments Ahrcadia,
I finished reading one of your new choices for me, Bitten by Kelley Armstrong. It was definitely different for me, a little darker than most of the books I read, but I did enjoy it. The main character Elena was very well developed, I really felt her angst and her strength. Thanks for the rec!

message 426: by Buggy (last edited May 14, 2010 08:08PM) (new)

Buggy | 59 comments Jen(jikish) I wish I had the problems with deciding which book to read like you do *heavy sarcasm* those are all great books and I envy you reading any of them for he first time,

Yeah Roarke was awesome, I just got book 2 Glory in Death (In Death, #2) by J.D. Robb

Ahrcadia the Duck Tamer (BraintasiaBooks) | 177 comments Glad you liked it, Fran. Book 2, Stolen, isn't very good, but you have to read it to understand the third book, which is amazing :)

message 428: by Pickles (last edited May 15, 2010 12:35AM) (new)

Pickles (angstypickles) | 387 comments Sandy wrote: "Done!
Katherine, thanks for recommending A Certain Slant of Light. I had not heard of this book before, so I had no idea what it was about or what to expect. It's very different fro..."

I really liked A Certain Slant of Light! I think I even recommended it to someone for the "pick it for me challenge" a while ago. I thought it was really unique.

message 429: by Angie (new)

Angie | 569 comments Thank you Delicious Dee for your pick. I have finished Pleasure Unbound and I loved it. However, now my TBR list is about to get longer as I get the rest of the series!

message 430: by Dee, Moderator (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7310 comments @Angie - an unfortunate side-effect of books in series...I tend to go wild and buy the whole series if I enjoy the first one...(on the bright side, this one is only going to be 5 books, with the 5th one due out in September)

message 431: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 8239 comments Ahrcadia ~(Fhantasie)~ wrote: "Glad you liked it, Fran. Book 2, Stolen, isn't very good, but you have to read it to understand the third book, which is amazing :)"

OK, good to know. Is there more Elena and Clay in the other books in the series? Wondering if she is able to reconcile what he did to her and her feelings for him.

Ahrcadia the Duck Tamer (BraintasiaBooks) | 177 comments Fran wrote: "Ahrcadia ~(Fhantasie)~ wrote: "Glad you liked it, Fran. Book 2, Stolen, isn't very good, but you have to read it to understand the third book, which is amazing :)"

OK, good to know. Is there mor..."

Women of the Otherworld skips between narrators. Elena is the first two, Paige the second two, etc.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (Jim_formerly_Photojim) | 5294 comments ♦Jennifer♦, I finished Pleasure Unbound this morning. I liked it enough that I went over to Half-Price Books and picked up #3 & #4. Unfortunately #2 was not there. I'll just have to see where I can find it. Thank you for a great pick!

How are you coming on any of your picks?

message 434: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Walker (Natalie668) | 61 comments @Rossy,
I'm new to the whole Pick it for Me Challenge, do I have to read all 8 books reccommended or can I just read one?
x

message 435: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9234 comments Natalie wrote: "@Rossy,
I'm new to the whole Pick it for Me Challenge, do I have to read all 8 books reccommended or can I just read one?
x"

To complete the challenge, you only need to read one.

message 436: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1069 comments Emily, I read Dark Lover today and enjoyed it. Thanks for moving it up my TBR list.

message 437: by ♦Jennifer♦ (new)

♦Jennifer♦ (thejenneral) Jim! I'm happy you liked it! Seems to be the case for everyone who picks this up. lol, so it looked to be a good bet.

I finally got Lamb, and will be reading it next. :)

message 438: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Walker (Natalie668) | 61 comments @ Yz

Thanks, I was getting all worried there lol :)

Oh, and I've read Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) and I loved it :)

I guess I've completed the Challenge now :)

Yay!

message 439: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9234 comments Melanie and Delicious Dee:

Help. I'm halfway through The Mercenary and I'm ready to kill both the hero and the heroine. Tell me this gets better.

message 440: by Dee, Moderator (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7310 comments Yz - i've never read it...i just saw it was on your list, but i'd heard good things...maybe they were biased...sorry!

message 441: by Melanie (last edited May 16, 2010 12:12PM) (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 1336 comments Yz

Darn, I'm sorry you're not liking it! What's not working for you?

I didn't start my Cherry Adair fixation with The Mercenary, I actually started with Hot Ice, and White Heat was my personal fave ...

But I did enjoy Mercenary... If I recall, I started off having a hard time liking the heroine (sometimes TSTL :-p) but enjoying Marc, and once they get out of the cave (I think that's it... I read it a couple years ago), I remember liking her a lot more :-)

message 442: by KimKirt (new)

KimKirt | 1638 comments Karolina ~

I just finished Wake and you know, I really enjoyed it! I don't read a lot of YA and this was a good, quick read. I think I'll pick up Fade next as I'm curious to see where else this might lead to. Thanks for the rec!!

Kim

message 443: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited May 16, 2010 05:45PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9234 comments Delicious Dee: It's okay. It's a pretty long series, so its easy to assume it must be good.

Melanie: Hmm...what about it I do not like. I think the hero acts like a total jerk, and you are right, the heroine is a little TSTL.. :)

I'll persevere though, although I've abandoned it for a few days now. I will pick it up and somehow finished it soon.

Maybe I should have read Hot Ice. It's the only Cherry Adair book I actually owned...LOL...But no, I want to start at the beginning of the series.

message 444: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 4370 comments Yz, I read The Mercenary, and understand completely why you're struggling with it. Here's my review - it's short and not so sweet, but I've linked it more for the comments that other readers made about the books. Some are hilarious - it may cheer you up enough to finish the book!

message 445: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 1336 comments BJ Rose wrote: "Yz, I read The Mercenary, and understand completely why you're struggling with it. Here's my review - it's short and not so sweet, but I've linked it more for the comments that other..."

Lol BJ, the comments are hilarious:-) Like I said, I liked CA, but her sex scenes can get a little "huh?" and just might not be very realistic :-) I need to go back and reread these books...

Yz, I'm sorry you're struggling.. Hopefully it'd be the only book in your list..:-(

message 446: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9234 comments Okay, guys, I've finished the book this morning. Have to skim read a few portions, (something I rarely do unless I plan to go back and reread), and my original impression has not improved. Oh, well...that happens. : )

Still, I'm not writing off Cherry Adair from my list yet, but I'm in no rush.

Still, Melanie and Delicious Dee, thanks for the push to get that book off my TBR list.

message 447: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments I'm soooo GLAD that i haven't touch the first book by Cherry Adair. Doesn't look like i'll be picking it up any time soon, when you wanted to kill the H&H.LOL!

message 448: by Gus (new)

Gus (GusBus) | 114 comments I'm done with my pick Truly, Madly! I wanted to get a book I wouldn't normally pick out for myself and I liked it! It's hard to go from reading romance to mystery, (I kept wishing for them to get it on haha) but it worked out well. Thanks, Debbie!

message 449: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 1336 comments Sorry Yz :-o

message 450: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited May 17, 2010 12:47PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9234 comments Melanie wrote: "Sorry Yz :-o"

No stress, Melanie...LOL...It's all good.

Plus, I still have your other recs with me. Just have to figure when I can get to them. Pesky job and real life responsibilities. Messes up with my reading time. : )

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dead Until Dark (other topics)
Howards End (other topics)
Soulless (other topics)
Moon Called (other topics)
Outlander (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Diana Gabaldon (other topics)
Patricia Briggs (other topics)
Gail Carriger (other topics)