Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2010 Challenge Archive > 2010 May Monthly Challenge: Suggestions Thread

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9326 comments This is the thread where we ask questions, discuss, and make suggestions for the challenge.

1. May: Read a book which title starts with "M."

2. Birthday: Read a book from a May B-day celebrant.

3. Geography: Read a book whose author, setting or character is from Washington.

4. Memorial Day: Read book whose author is now deceased.

5. Cinco De Mayo: Read a book whose title has 5 words.

6. RRRC 1,000 Members Milestone: Read a book that has over a 1,000 ratings in GoodReads.

7. Professional Potpourri: May seems to have a celebration for every profession (Teacher's Day, Nurses' Day, Law Day, Armed Forces Day). Read a book where one of the main character works in any of these fields (education, nursing, law or military).

8. Romance Genre: Read a futuristic or sci-fi romance.

9. Of Lists and Shelves: Inspired by Photojim's phrase, You "May" Not Read, Read a banned book from this list.
(http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy...)

10. Reader's Choice

Challenge Duration: May 1 - May 31, 2010

message 2: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited Apr 20, 2010 01:50PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) I'll have to do alot of looking to find something that's actually a romance that's futuristic or sci-fi. I have science fiction books, but they aren't romances. And I seriously doubt anything from my extensive Harlequin collection would fit this category. The only books I can think of would be considered fantasy more than sci-fi.

message 3: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9326 comments Here is a GR shelf for Futuristic Romance:

http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show?s...

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Thanks Yz but I don't have a single book on that list and never felt like reading J.D. Robb's In Death series. In desperation, the only Star Trek (definetly futuristic, lol) episode that I know is a romance is "City on the Edge of Forever" and I have that in a Star Trek Reader.

message 5: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB Katie MacAlister lives in Seattle area and has lots of PNR, a few historicals, and some contemporaries :)

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine (cdunbar) | 635 comments Here's a list for both Sci-Fi and Futuristic Romances: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/86...

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Thanks Christine. Time and Again by Nora Roberts is on that list.

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 3931 comments Flib thanks for thinking of Katie MacAlister, I have quite a few of hers tbr. The geography question is always the hardest for me to figure out.

There's lot of romantic sci-fi (one of my favourite genres) but most of them are in ebooks - both novel and novella size.

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine (cdunbar) | 635 comments More authors who live(d) in Washington:
Terry Brooks
Amanda Quick
Frank Herbert
Jayne Castle
Caitlin Kittredge

And a huge list of mysteries that are set in Washington: http://www.secstate.wa.gov/_assets/li...

message 10: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited Apr 20, 2010 07:50PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Debbie Macomber is from Washington State. Many of her books are set there too.

message 11: by Janelle (new)

Janelle | 43 comments Lisa Kleypas lives in Washington, too.

message 12: by Angie (new)

Angie | 615 comments Would And Tango Makes Three count for the banned book category? It is on that list but is a pre-school book. I recently bought it for my daughter and was looking forward to sitting down and reading it her so was wondering if I could make that count?

message 13: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9326 comments Angie wrote: "Would And Tango Makes Three count for the banned book category? It is on that list but is a pre-school book. I recently bought it for my daughter and was looking forward to sitting do..."

Oh...yes...it would count. :)
Talk about a quick read.

message 14: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9326 comments Angie wrote: "Would And Tango Makes Three count for the banned book category? It is on that list but is a pre-school book. I recently bought it for my daughter and was looking forward to sitting do..."

Oh...yes...it would count. :)
Talk about a quick read. I'm not familiar with it, but it looks intriguing enough that I would want to read it.

message 15: by Kelley (last edited Apr 21, 2010 09:13AM) (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) banned books - so does it HAVE to be on that list? I've read everything on that list already that I'd be even remotely interested in reading. And since I rarely (almost never) reread... can we read something else by an author on there if we have one that fits? Or is there another way we can work something out to still count for that challenge?

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7314 comments hey kelley - i would assume that any book that has been banned at one time or another would work and there are multiple lists out there you could check out...if you google banned books you might have some luck!

Kelley wrote: "banned books - so does it HAVE to be on that list? I've read everything on that list already that I'd be even remotely interested in reading. And since I rarely (almost never) reread... can we read..."

message 17: by Jan Lewis, (new)

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick (authorsidekick) Richelle Mead lives in Washington, and Spirit Bound comes out in May. :)

message 18: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama | 81 comments Just looked at the Banned Books list and will probably use it as an excuse to finally read His Dark Materials...but wow. Even Captain Underpants is on there! Sheesh. Some people just have no sense of fun, LOL!! What have people got against burps and boogers and wedgies and the school principal running around in his tighty-whiteys? Honestly!! My son (he's 10 now) loved that series a year or two ago and I could barely get through it when I read it to him, we were both giggling so hard.

message 19: by Melanie (last edited May 07, 2010 06:59AM) (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 1338 comments Briansgirl "Master Book Sale Huntress" wrote: "Thanks Yz but I don't have a single book on that list and never felt like reading J.D. Robb's In Death series. In desperation, the only Star Trek (definetly futuristic, lol) episode that I know is ..."

Hi Briansgirl!

I never felt like reading In death either... I actually started the first twice before quitting after the first 40 pages... but in my May, pick it for me! challenge, Yz recommended it, so I resigned myself to read it through... Turns out I read it Monday, loved it, and am now on the 4th book, and have ordered the next six books... So it might be worth giving it a try if you get through the first 80 pages, it gets MUCH better, and then you can't put it down... that's how it was for me!

Otherwise for futuristic/sci fi romance, you have the Angela Knight's Mageverse or Mercenary series, or Jaid Black's Trek-mi-quan (rated sensual I think), and I believe Johanna Lindsay has a sci/fi -ish Keeper of the Heart that I quite enjoyed...

Good luck!

message 20: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments At the risk of sounding dumb, does a detective count as 'law' for Memorial Day category?

message 21: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9326 comments tosca wrote: "At the risk of sounding dumb, does a detective count as 'law' for Memorial Day category?"

That will work.

message 22: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments Excellent! Thanks you :)

message 23: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 1338 comments There's also Jayne Ann Krentz who lives in WA, as well as Cameron Dokey :-)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Time and Again: Time Was / Times Change (other topics)
And Tango Makes Three (other topics)
Keeper Of The Heart (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Katie MacAlister (other topics)
Amanda Quick (other topics)
Frank Herbert (other topics)
Terry Brooks (other topics)
Caitlin Kittredge (other topics)
More...