Oprah's Book Club at Goodreads discussion

The book I wish I had read 10 years ago

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K.S.R. (new)

K.S.R. (KareyShane) | 162 comments Mod
Yesterday Oprah did a show on domestic violence. A woman was on whose former husband tried to kill her. The details are pretty awful so I won't write them here.

But my MIL told me she mentioned a book that every woman needs to have. It talks about red flags in relationships, etc. Does anyone know the title of it? It sounds like a great book to discuss here.

message 2: by K.S.R. (new)

OK I found it. It's Gavin de Becker's, The Gift of Fear. I feel like it's really important that we discuss this book. Let me tell you a story about why: like the lady on the show, Teri, I ended up being in a life-threatening marriage after my first marriage ended. Because I chose not to listen to the fear or admit that I saw red flags, that choice has cost me being able to raise my children over the last nine years. We're 2400 miles apart and see each other during a few weeks each summer and holidays. If anyone out there feels like discussing The Gift of Fear because you know someone who would benefit from the topic, let me know. I agree with Oprah that every woman needs to read this book. I'll admit that I haven't read it yet, but I wish I had ten years ago.

message 3: by candy (new)

candy (fabt) | 12 comments I'm intrigued!!!

message 4: by K.S.R. (new)

Do you think it would be a good book to discuss here?

message 5: by candy (new)

candy (fabt) | 12 comments Sure, 10 yrs is a long time...Smile, and its an important topic.

message 6: by K.S.R. (new)

Alright, let's do it! I'll check it out of the library. When would you like to start?

message 7: by candy (new)

candy (fabt) | 12 comments I'm ready when u r!

message 8: by K.S.R. (new)

Sorry for the delay, candy. I had no idea how busy I'd be with the book launch. Do you want to do the discussion?

message 9: by K.S.R. (new)

Sorry for not being clear, CAndy. And I accidentally deleted your comment when I meant to delete the message below it that was a bunch of book images with no message.

Yes, would you like to lead the discussion for The Gift of Fear? Any interest in doing that?

message 10: by 713Josh (new)

713Josh | 1 comments We must read animal farm! My favorite book ever. You all would love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 11: by Sandysconnected (new)

Sandysconnected | 5 comments I think the Gift of Fear would be amazing for a discussion. The more knowledge women (and men) can have about domestic violence, the more young ladies we can hopefully save in years to come (our daughters!)

message 12: by K.S.R. (last edited Jan 05, 2011 11:32AM) (new)

Thanks for the feedback. We'll plan on doing The Gift of Fear by Gavin DeBecker in March. Sound good? I'll check with others on the Book Discussion thread.

message 13: by Sandysconnected (new)

Sandysconnected | 5 comments I just want to add that I wish I would have read the Color Purple 10 years ago, too.

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen Zacharias (KarenZach) | 7 comments A Silence of Mockingbirds: The Memoir of a Murder. It would have made me a lot more alert as a woman & mother.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence (other topics)