Goodreads Los Angeles discussion

General Book Talk > Book Club in LA?

Comments (showing 1-41 of 41) (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathryn (kapope) | 21 comments In another conversation, Becky asked if anyone knows of a good book club that she might join.

I'm wondering if anyone here has suggestions?

Kathryn.

Wallace I'd be interested in starting one if there are enough people who want to participate. Is anyone interested in starting up a new one?

Diane Wright (dianejwright) | 4 comments I'm in. :)

Wallace Great!

Kathryn (kapope) | 21 comments Sounds like a great idea--

Jay | 2 comments Yay book club! I've been re-reading the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card. The first book is pretty straight forward, but I'm wondering if my take on the rest of his stuff is accurate.

Diane D. Hi Everyone -- I wouldn't be able to join up in a live book club, but I look forward to getting to know you all here in the group.

Wallace Diane, Kathryn, and Jay... should we wait and see if we can gather a few more people before picking a date and book?

Diane D. -- sounds good! :)

Julie (lajewl) | 6 comments add one more, i'm in!

Wallace Oh good! That makes 5 of us. Maybe we should start planning now. Does anyone have any book suggestions that we could start voting on?

Julie (lajewl) | 6 comments i have been neglecting most categories other than chick lit lately, so i think it might be best to sideline me during the suggestions this time.

i'll definitely contribute to the vote though!

Kathryn (kapope) | 21 comments Maybe we can decide whether we'll be an in-person book club or an online club before people commit? For a lot of us, distance could make a difference.

In-person sounds fun to me, if we can swing it -- although online could be snappy and exciting too -- and might work well, if we have a hard time collaborating on schedules and locations. I'm on the west side.

Randy Hampton | 2 comments Would love to join in. Any book suggestions?

Julie (lajewl) | 6 comments in person for those that can make it sounds like fun! i'm in the beverly center area, so kathryn, doesn't sounds like we're too far from each other. anyone else somewhat close?

Wallace I'm on the westside as well.

Julie (lajewl) | 6 comments great! so what kind of genres does everyone like? might help in settling on a book :)

Wallace I wouldn't be able to commit to doing one book per week. I was thinking maybe a book per month or per every other month?

Here are some on my reading list:
Little Bee
The Three Weissmanns of Westport
Veronika Decides to Die
The Book Theif

Lisa Lepore Wallace wrote: "I wouldn't be able to commit to doing one book per week. I was thinking maybe a book per month or per every other month?

Here are some on my reading list:
Little Bee
[book:The Three..."

Oops, did I write week? I just meant every time the group meets. I have jet lag, clearly addled.

Jay | 2 comments I'm in Westwood.
Never heard of those first three. I actually read The Book Thief for another book group. Really good. Zusak's other novel, I Am the Messenger, is also good.

Julie (lajewl) | 6 comments that's funny, someone just recommended the book thief to me and i was going to suggest it.

Diane D. I'm in Marina del Rey. Even though I won't be participating in a live book club, wanted to say hi!
Commenting on what Wallace posted, my live book club meets once every 6 weeks. That way we can still read what we want on our own, plus do the group read. Seems to fit well for everyone's schedule. Low/no pressure.

Wallace Would it be better to do an online book club.. would more people be interested in that?

message 23: by Diane D. (last edited Jun 17, 2010 01:08PM) (new)

Diane D. I think that's a good idea Wallace. With people's schedules and living different places, it might be hard to coordinate "live". Throw out ideas for books, do a poll, everyone votes, we read the winner. And if everyone can't find time to read it, it can still be discussed here amongst those who do read it.

Kathryn (kapope) | 21 comments I agree with Diane D. We can always have a live meetup later, if our conversation is so much fun that we want to continue in person--

Ideas for books, anyone?

Diane D. Oh wow, ideas for books - so many books, so little time. Personally, I love to read classics over the summer. How about we throw out a classic and a contempory novel....we can then set up a poll to vote on one for each category. Thoughts?

Wallace I'm getting ready to read Bleak House for a read-a-long if anyone is interested in joining. Starting it August 25th.

Kathryn (kapope) | 21 comments So I thought I'd revive this discussion, with a suggestion for us to do a GoodReads LA read-a-long. We can discuss online and, if we decide in the end, meet at some fantastic spot for a post-read celebration.

If you're game, let me know. I have a summer book suggestion and everything--

Kristen Kathryn, count me in!

message 29: by Lisa (last edited Jul 02, 2011 06:45AM) (new)

Lisa Lepore I am game, K. And I LIKE the idea of a summer book suggestion and everything.

Kathryn (kapope) | 21 comments Great! How soon do youthink we should start?

Kristen ASAP! Let's pick a book!

Kristen Should we select a couple of themes and go ahead and pick a book?

message 33: by Diane (last edited Jul 12, 2011 09:32AM) (new)

Diane Wright (dianejwright) | 4 comments Ok, one, I just deleted Kathryn's comment??! I'm not sure how but apologies everyone.

Two: I have The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova burning a hole in my nightstand. Maybe you could all help me finish it?

The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova

Three: Yes, full disclosure, Kathryn & I published Scattershot and would love to read it collectively but really, we're readers looking for nerdy book friends. I'm up for anything. :)
djw

Lisa Lepore Tried and quickly put down The Swan Thieves (I say let the hole burn till the book drops. NOT to offend, in case you're liking it like I'm liking The Year We Left Home, perfect book for July, whatever that means, but I think I know what it means. There are just some books meant for summer.) Scattershot sounds perfect.

Diane Wright (dianejwright) | 4 comments Ha! That's pretty much why it's on the table, staring at me every night before I hit the pillow. I want to like it though! The Year We Left Home sounds AMAZING. I'm in.
The Year We Left Home by Jean Thompson

If the consensus is to try Scattershot here, we can always arrange a special discount for our little reading club. Now or next time or whatever.
diane

Kathryn (kapope) | 21 comments I'm up for the Year We Left Home too. Love that cover! Also, I just read Jonathan Franzen's Freedom and would love to discuss the hype, the book, and the story.

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen

Dennis Danziger (Philip39) | 3 comments I just jumped into Goodreads. Am a writer and reader. My novel A Short History of a Tall Jew has just been put on Goodreads' auction. I live in West LA and interested in joining an on-line LA oriented book club. There's a lot of Walter Mosley I love, much set in LA, and much I haven't read if that appeals....

Randy Hampton | 2 comments So are we doing The Year We Left Home?

message 39: by Lisa (last edited Jul 20, 2011 06:47PM) (new)

Lisa Lepore I just finished The Year We Left Home and liked it a lot. If you all want to read that, sounds good + I have an electronic copy to share. That said, I would be really happy if we were to select Scattershot. First chapter was great; definitely want to read more. http://amzn.to/mTuNvp

That's my vote. (Did I vote?)

Kathryn (kapope) | 21 comments Oh dear. I'm not sure where we are. Does anyone want to volunteer to be our fearless leader on this one?

Uvi Poznansky | 410 comments Great news, I'm so happy! My novel Apart From Love (with local scenes in Santa Monica and Venice Beach) is now available on the New Books shelf in the main branch of Santa Monica Public Library. You'll recognize it by the beautiful cover, which is based on my own oil painting: Apart From Love by Uvi Poznansky.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Three Weissmanns of Westport (other topics)
The Book Thief (other topics)
Veronika Decides to Die (other topics)
Little Bee (other topics)
The Swan Thieves (other topics)
More...