*Exclusively YA Book Club* discussion

BOOKS TO DISCUSS > The Hunger Games

Comments (showing 1-50 of 158) (158 new)    post a comment »

Chachic I know most of the members here are fans of Suzanne Collin's The Hunger Games trilogy. Can't wait for Mockingjay!

Chachic Bluemoon, just read it to get it over with! There are a lot of other great books out there to keep you occupied while waiting for Mockingjay to come out. :)

Chachic What can I say, I'm a book pusher. Get to it!

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 313 comments I have to agree with Chachic, you should just read it! You must have amazing will power. I was beating down the doors on the library b/c I had to wait a week in between those 2 books.

I'm fairly certain it doesn't matter what I'm reading come August, once Mockingjay is out, it will dominate my reading until I'm finished (which is an avg of 2 days for HG books)

Chachic Brittany, I do that too! Whenever an anticipated book comes out, I drop the book that I'm currently reading to make way for that one.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 313 comments One has to have their priorities in life. I think part of it for me too is that I HATE spoilers and have had people spoiler books like HP for me in the past, so now if it's something I don't wanna to be spoiled that's popular I try to read it as soon as it's out.

I mean, who does that... what idiot would spoil HP for someone and when asked why responds, "well someone spoiled it for me so I thought I should do it to someone else!" WHY?

Chachic Oh me too, I hate spoilers! So that's probably one reason. But book bloggers rarely put in spoilers when they review books. I guess they're just so convincing that when I read a review, I want to go out and get a copy right away.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 313 comments Bluemoon wrote: "yea spoilers are no fun.

I will read Catching Fire soon enough. The first book didn't end in a cliffhanger, so I'm good till maybe May or June. ^_^"

Yeah, but we keep talking about it. Like I said, your willpower must be amazing!

Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * | 6279 comments Mod
Brittany - I hate spoilers too. Can you believe I made it an entire year without hearing how HP ended. It was all over the internet and in my EW -- plus by hubby (who hasn't even read the series) kept trying to tell me, but I stood strong until I read it.

Chachic Wow Heidi, that's amazing! I wouldn't have been able to do that.

Bluemoon wrote: "I'm re-reading HP this summer! It's going to be an easy read since I read it already."

Now if we can just get Peep and Jaimie to read it for the first time! p.s. I plan to re-read book 7 before the first movie comes out.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 313 comments Heidi wrote: "Bluemoon wrote: "I'm re-reading HP this summer! It's going to be an easy read since I read it already."

Now if we can just get Peep and Jaimie to read it for the first time! p.s. I plan to re-rea..."

Be careful Heidi, I find when I re-read a book right before the movie comes out I tend to be more disappointed with the movie. That happened with OotP and I thought the movie was horrible!!

But, after gaining some perspective, let's face it... it was just a bad adaptation. The screenplay was crap (yes compared to other HP movies). And that's my fav book in the series. I mean... WHO CHANGES MAJOR PLOT POINTS LIKE THAT?? Anyway, i purposely did NOT re-read HBP and I loved that movie. Just some food for thought.

Polkweed | 63 comments It hard to condense such complicated stories into two hours of film. I like Ootp because despite changing the story it still came to the same ending with out dragging on like Prisoner.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 313 comments Polkweed wrote: "It hard to condense such complicated stories into two hours of film. I like Ootp because despite changing the story it still came to the same ending with out dragging on like Prisoner."

I know I know, but still... maybe when you love something like that it's hard to change it. But I still, to this day, when I watch that movie physically cringe during certain parts. It's like they're physically painful. (I'm trying to keep this spoiler free, but I'm sure you can guess some of the parts I'm talking about)

Brittany - I have re-read the last few before the movies came out, so I know what you are talking about. I guess I expect they will cut quite a bit out due to the length of the books, so haven't got too angry yet. I have actually liked all the movies in their own way.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 313 comments Well, as long as you know what you're getting yourself into. As previously stated, my fav HP movies are not my fav HP books, and I'm glad for that.

Maybe I just get to attached to certain plot points.

Brittany wrote: "Well, as long as you know what you're getting yourself into. As previously stated, my fav HP movies are not my fav HP books, and I'm glad for that.

Maybe I just get to attached to certain plot ..."

Trust me. I get disappointed when they leave things out too.

Chachic This is funny. Why do we keep discussing Harry Potter in the Hunger Games and thread and we discuss the Hunger Games in some other random thread?

Chachic - I am too ADHD to pay attention to thread topics. Sorry!

Chachic Hahaha Heidi, no prob! As long as we're all having fun discussing things. :)

Chachic Here's an interesting post about The Hunger Games: http://www.firstnovelsclub.com/2009/1... and a comparison of the books to Greek mythology.

Thanks for the article Chachic - I have noticed a lot of Greek symbolism while reading the series. Those crazy Greeks have inspired so many modern day stories and movies.

Ha! Well I am a big Geek Bluemoon! p.s. Geeks have also brought us many things too :)

Chachic Hahaha good point, Heidi. Greeks and geeks are awesome. The article was pretty good, right? I did notice that The Hunger Games is kind of gladiator-ish but I wasn't able to pinpoint a direct Greek connection.

message 25: by Chachic (last edited Apr 19, 2010 09:54PM) (new)

Chachic Hey, I found this link http://www.persnicketysnark.com/2010/... which Adele at PersnicketySnark wrote about why she's Team Gale. I'm not done reading it yet but I thought I'll post it because others may be interested as well. Thanks to Aaron for telling me about this link.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 313 comments I can't get the 2nd link to work... but I enjoyed the Greek mythology one (especially the part were Katniss ends up with Gale) Thanks for those.

Chachic It didn't work because I put in a comma after the link, I just edited it. It should now be working.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 313 comments Thanks for fixing that...I loved that article. It said everything I feel and wasn't hating on Peeta, but an in depth analysis (although there were some areas she was reaching a bit).
I especially enjoyed the lines...
"Peeta loved her before he knew her; Gale loves her because he knows her. Big distinction."

AND

"...we eavesdrop on every moment of Katniss and Peeta’s history from first moment until last. We know Peeta better but with familiarity the mystery dissipates. Gale is an unknown factor to the audience but interestingly, not to Katniss. It’s like their relationship (prior to HG) is a secret between the two of them."

Chachic Yes, it's a great post! I really enjoy reading her blog and I have to agree with her points regarding Gale. Although I don't know how I fell about what she said that Gale might either end up dead or develop another love interest. I don't want it to happen! But I think she might be right.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 313 comments I know... I think that too. But I agree with what she said about Twilight and Jacob and I don't want that to happen to Gale.
Sigh... is it August yet?

Chachic I know! We just have to wait. Even though I'm Team Gale, I'm trying not to be hardcore about it because I want to remain open to what will happen in the next book. I don't want to be disappointed.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 313 comments Then you should read Catching Fire and choose a side! Until then you can be Team Katniss (that's one thing we all seem to be able to agree on)

Brittany wrote: "Then you should read Catching Fire and choose a side! Until then you can be Team Katniss (that's one thing we all seem to be able to agree on)"

Team Katniss!

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 313 comments Oh, Bluemoon, that's definitely allowed. He is my favorite character by far! You'll love him even more after Book 2. Promise!!

Chachic Yes, more to love in Cinna in Catching Fire!

Chachic Go read Catching Fire, Bluemoon! :)

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 313 comments Hey... I know there are a lot of Amy's around here, but I'm not one of them. That's my sister's name. =)

Chachic Cinna had his shining moment in Catching Fire. I hope there's more of Cinna in Mockingjay!

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 313 comments Don't worry about it Bluemoon, I'll continue to use your love of Cinna against you. We now know your weakness.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 313 comments Oh Bluemoon, completely random and off topic... where in Canada do you live? I'm asking b/c I'm planning a trip to Vancouver in June and need some advice on what to do. Thoughts?

Brittany - are you going to tour all the Twilight sights while you are there ?? (jk:)

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 313 comments Oh, way off from where you are then Bluemoon. Sorry, thought I'd take the chance and ask.

Heidi, probably not, I'm not into the whole movie star stalker thing. I'm sure I'll live by finding other things to do. Thanks for the input though.

I was totally kidding Brittany!

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 313 comments Heidi, I know... believe me I know. I'm sure you would do the same thing because I know how much you absolutely LOVE the Twilight Saga!

Looks like they are offering the movie role of Katniss to Jennifer Lawrence per the internet.

Kristina (KristinaLawhead) | 379 comments Jennifer Lawrence?? Wow I dont see her as Katniss AT ALL. thats a let down

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 1005 comments Hmmmm. I dont see it either.

I see someone more waif like - fragile but tough.

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread