Patricia Briggs Fans discussion

Characters > Bran Cornick (Mercy Thompson/Alpha and Omega series)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 135) (135 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 572 comments Mod
Bran Cornick is the most powerful werewolf in North America, the Marrok. What do you think of Bran?

message 2: by N.L. (new)

N.L. Riviezzo (nlriviezzo) Bran is my favorite character in the Mercy Thompson/Alpha & Omega series. I like his perspective on things, his humor and the way he interacts with the other characters.

I really hope, at some point in the series set, that he gets a better mate. He deserves it.

message 3: by Tyia (new)

Tyia (Rosebride) | 6 comments I agree with you N.L. I think Bran deserves a strong but compassionate mate. The one he has right now is a real bitch. LOL pun intended.

I still find it funny that he looks so young though. But still Yummy...Well after Adam that is.

message 4: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) I am sooo hoping for at least one Bran book.

message 5: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 84 comments I am with the rest of you. I would like to know more about him. I do think it is interesting that we learn more/see him more in the Alpha and Omega series than the Mercy books.

message 6: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read (SherriH95) Mariel wrote: "I am sooo hoping for at least one Bran book."

I think unless something happens to his mate, that's going to be a long shot.

message 7: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) Sherri wrote: "Mariel wrote: "I am sooo hoping for at least one Bran book."

I think unless something happens to his mate, that's going to be a long shot."

Sigh. A girl can still dream.

If one of you guys wants to take her out, I'll take one for the team and be his new mate.

message 8: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 84 comments Mariel wrote: "Sherri wrote: "Mariel wrote: "I am sooo hoping for at least one Bran book."

I think unless something happens to his mate, that's going to be a long shot."

Sigh. A girl can still dream.

If..."

Well if you must take one for the team..... :)

message 9: by N.L. (new)

N.L. Riviezzo (nlriviezzo) Given how Leah likes to push Charles' buttons, she could meet her demise soon enough then Bran can find his HEA.

message 10: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) I think at some point she'll have to write a book about Bran or her fans will mutiny!

message 11: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 88 comments I'd be one to read a book on Bran. I really like his character.

message 12: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read (SherriH95) N. L. wrote: "Given how Leah likes to push Charles' buttons, she could meet her demise soon enough then Bran can find his HEA."

More like Anna will wipe the floor with her!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 572 comments Mod
Oh, I'd love to read a book for Bran.

♥ ♥Lynn ♥ ♥ N. L. wrote: "Given how Leah likes to push Charles' buttons, she could meet her demise soon enough then Bran can find his HEA."

We can only hope. Maybe she will be the bad girl turned good. I LOVE Bran. He is one of my favorite PB characters. Did anyone else besides me not know his name was Bryan until Silver Borne? I can not recall every seeing it before. If I did, I overlooked it.

message 15: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 279 comments I don't think she ever mentioned what his first name was before then. At least--not that I remember either.

message 16: by N.L. (new)

N.L. Riviezzo (nlriviezzo) Bran has had lots of different names over the centuries. Even though the name Bryan was never mentioned before Silver Borne, I was not surprised although it seems in consistent considering the myth/story/legend Briggs drew his name 'The Marrok' and his creation story from. Sir Marrok was a knight of the round table in Camelot and he was turned into a werewolf by his wife. This Arthurian legend has been referenced in both series in regards to Bran.

I'm starting to be obsessed with Bran. He's truly fascinating to me, especially after Cry Wolf. Thanks for the info about the Marrok name. I was wondering if Ms. Briggs made that up.

message 18: by Bry (new)

Bry (utqtbry) | 116 comments Mod
Mariel wrote: "I am sooo hoping for at least one Bran book."

I saw Patty at a book signing in Houston where someone asked about her possibly writing a Bran based book but she said no. :( She said that she love Bran especially because of his mystery for the readers and wanted that to stay that way, so that when he did appear it would be like a treat to readers. Not to mention also being an easter egg (her term) for us in terms of getting another glimpse at his amazing personality.

message 19: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) Bry wrote: "Mariel wrote: "I am sooo hoping for at least one Bran book."

I saw Patty at a book signing in Houston where someone asked about her possibly writing a Bran based book but she said no. :( She sai..."

Thanks Bry. I guess that makes sense. Hey, at least we get to see him in two series. (I am so greedy!)

Okay. Well, as long as he shows up often.

message 21: by Bry (new)

Mariel wrote: "Bry wrote: "Mariel wrote: "I am sooo hoping for at least one Bran book."

I saw Patty at a book signing in Houston where someone asked about her possibly writing a Bran based book but she said no..."

Exactly! Every time he shows up I get giddy and can't wait to see what new part of his personality we will get to see.

I agree, Bry.

Did PB mention if she'd write a separate story for Samuel?

message 23: by Bry (new)

Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I agree, Bry.

Did PB mention if she'd write a separate story for Samuel?"

She said that out of all the characters in Mercy's world Sam was the one who needed a book most of all, especially considering his role in Silver Borne. She wants to be able to flesh out his story more (and not from Mercy's perspective). She said she still is contracted for 3 more books, and that will be the 6th Mercy, 3rd Alpha/Omega, and for the 3rd she was considering a Sam book!

Yay. I'm looking forward to a Sam book!

message 25: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Calvin (romsfuulynn) | 4 comments I'm really interested in the mysterious and dire intimations of what he is and may be able to do.

I'd also be really interested to learn more about Zee

He is completely intriguing. There was a question on another group about what fictional characters we'd invite to dinner. I said Bran and Adam. I'd love to to do some brain pickage!

message 27: by Lena (new)

Lena (chlngher) | 6 comments I sort of envisioned Bran as an older person - but to my surprise in the book Homecoming/graphic novel he's a young and blonde. And Adam, wow never had I thought of his character like that. The book is worth getting for sure plus I just bought 2 of the 4 comics so far.

I picture him as a lean, average height, young man with dark hair.

message 29: by Lena (last edited Apr 24, 2010 11:24AM) (new)

Lena (chlngher) | 6 comments I should say that Bran as older than Adam or Mercy in his late 30's. In the novel Bran is lean, good looking, blonde with a head full of hair. Adam is tall dark and handsome - oh baby!

message 30: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 279 comments My outlook on Bran is that he looks a LOT younger than he is--since Briggs has said in several different places that he tries to project this very young persona. I think that he does that so that he can take people by surprise. After all, now that they've come out of the Forest, as it were, you KNOW that there are a lot of news people trying to find out about The Marrock. And by seeming to be this light-weight, young man they won't look at Bran twice. We also need to remember that Bran is also at least 1000 years old. And at that time, well, people, especially people in the British Isles, were NOT as tall as they are now. So he probably isn't a really tall man--maybe 5'8" or so at the tallest, and probably shorter than that. And, lets face it, in our culture "Short" usually equates to "young" in most peoples minds.

Now Adam I see as definately about 30 to 35-ish. Tall, more rugged, and definately good looking. But since Adam is a lot younger than Bran, its understandable that he's a lot taller. I remember in a class I took in College the prof talking about statistics, and how in the last 200years, especially in the U.S. people have been getting an inch taller per generation as an average. We have much better nutrition, the work isn't as hard in industrialized nations so no back breaking (and growth stunting) work at very young ages. Also we don't have the illnesses that earlier generations did, and being ill, especially as a child, can really cut back on how tall you grow.

Er, ok, I just realized how long this message is getting. And no, I'm not through, I could write a lot more, but I figure I'm already at the "more info than you ever wanted" stage. :o)

That makes sense, Ann. I tend to agree with you.

message 32: by Therinia (last edited Apr 25, 2010 09:01PM) (new)

Therinia  (Therinia) I picture Bran in his late teens to early 20s, because at the end of Silver Borne, Mercy describes him like this: "He smiled, an expression that made him look about sixteen. If you didn’t know him, it would be hard to believe that this young man with the diffident expression was the Marrok."

He's one of my favorite characters, too. I'd love for him to have a story of his own, somehow find a way for him to get a mate he deserves.

message 33: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 279 comments well, we know he can't be in his late teens because Samuel was born and an adult before Bran became a were-wolf. Remember that it was Bran's mother who had him AND Samuel turned into were-wolves (which, as we both remember turned out to be a really BAD IDEA on her part.) But, he could have fathered Samuel as early as 14 or 15--they did get married much younger back then, so could have been as young as late 20's when turned. Also, we need to remember from the Vet (sorry, don't have my books in front of me) that reguardless of what age they were when turned, they went get turned back to an age where they were much stronger and more able. Which to me says mid-twenties or so. But, again (as per my statement in #30) if he's short and slight in our modern world, he's going to be "viewed" as younger.

message 34: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (Savhage Temptrest) (SavhageTemptress) | 3 comments I'm all about Bran! I just love him and hope like many others that he gets a better mate than Leah. He is just fantastic, and I love his humor and his interactions with all the characters in both Mercy and Alpha/Omega!

message 35: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 279 comments While I too would like Bran to find a better mate than Leah--I don't really see it happening, since his reasons for picking her in the first place would have to be applied to a new mate as well. So he'd probably pick out another mate that was very similar to her if anything happened to her.

message 36: by Regina (new)

Regina (ReginaR) | 110 comments I also would love to see him with a better mate, but in Hunting Ground Charles admitted to himself that he had never seen a better or more tighlty mated wolf/wolf pair. It is just their human parts that don't mesh. And Briggs world is far from perfect, so I don't see this changing. Bran gets the emotional and intellectual support in human form from his sons. :)

Although I could see Mercy leading Leah on a chase and into a trap -- where Anna catches her and finishes her off. I really dislike Leah, especially in the scene (is it Moon Called?0 where Leah in wolf form basically threatens Mercy's life (in Coyote form).

message 37: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read (SherriH95) I think you have that backwards Regina! Anna, being an Omega wolf really doesn't have the violence in her unless physically threatened. She's a nuturer, even though she is not a submissive. I can see Anna and Mercy being best buddies easily. Anna could lead Leah on a merry chase and let Mercy trap her in some way so that Adam's pack would have a good reason to scare the living daylights out of her! (I really don't see an scenario where anyone could kill Leah and it not come back to bite them in the butt, unless it was Charles or Samuel)

message 38: by Regina (new)

Regina (ReginaR) | 110 comments Oh you are right, I guess I was going on pure strength. Mercy's kills seem to be luck, she is not that strong compared to the wolves -- she cowered from Leah when Leah threatened her. She knew Leah could take her. Anna however, is a proven killer -- she can do it but you are right, out of necessity, when threatened, or when a love one is threatened.

No there is no scenario that would allow them to take out Leah. And really, if she keeps Bran's wolf happy, I guess she should be tolerated.

message 39: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read (SherriH95) Mercy has luck but she also has skill. She's quick and she's sneaky and she thinks on her feet better than most heroines I've ever read. But I don't doubt she cowered from Leah. Remember Leah gets her strength from the Marrok - THE werewolf. I absolutely loved it when Leah tried to make Anna do something in that first book and Anna ignored her. Classic!!

I think also though, that Leah is treading a fine line right now. Bran really likes Anna, and we know he really likes Mercy. Leah may be his mate but she's not irreplaceable.

message 40: by Regina (new)

Regina (ReginaR) | 110 comments Yes, I agree about Anna/Leah. Mercy is clever and quick. Awesome in human form, has bested all those fairies, vamps, etc. She seems to be able to do it, mainly with her alliances and friendships. Not only is she clever but people like her! Kind of refreshing too, sometimes heroines are just annoying and people (other characters) don't like them.

I kind of feel sorry for her too. I know she is bitter and unpleasant. But I am sure she is hurt at never being able to quite match up to the sons. And Bran doesn't seem to really reach out to her on a human level, he purposely shuts her out on a human level to protect himself. Which would really suck as a wife/mate.

message 41: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read (SherriH95) Leah will never replace Charles's mother and that's what keeps her awake nights. She knows it, and everyone else knows it too. That's got to eat at her something crazy. Add in the fact that its Bran's wolf who is "perfectly matched" and not his human side, and that's a recipe for destruction.

I think even if PB tried to redeem Leah, I would still have a hard time liking her. For me, she's crossed the line too many times.

message 42: by Regina (new)

Regina (ReginaR) | 110 comments One of the things I love about Briggs' writing, is that it is raw and real. Vamps are monsters, not very sexy. Even Stefan struggles against his nature. Fae are donwnright scary!! And being a werewolf has serious downsides. Nothing is perfect. So I can't see her redeeming Leah, it doesn't fit into how she constructs her world. But I agree, it would be near impossible to like her after all she has done. And in the end, maybe Bran doesn't need that -- he has the wolf mating taken care of. And if it is a good wolf mating, maybe he doesn't need anything else.

I love the scene in Hunting Groun when he shows up after Anna has taken care of business and he says, "Anna I have no words...." I also love that Anna seems to be the one person who understands Bran is not all powerful. Perhaps because she is an Omega and doesn't feel the same urge to follow him.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, am I the only one that actually likes Leah? And that's a stretch of the word 'like'. But I wouldn't want to wish her dead.

I can't remember which book it was...I think maybe "Cry Wolf" when after the witch was destroyed, and Bran was returning home- he found her cozy, in his bed. Where she had been sleeping since his absence. And I think (I can't remember) he felt compassionate towards her, but forced himself to stifle that because he didn't wish to care for another woman again - at least not that way.

To me, that was the point where I stopped hating Leah. And you sort of felt sorry for her. At least I did. She's being constantly compared to Blue Jay Woman, and is always reminded how much Bran loved her. And how his wolf chose her as a mate, only for convenience. I think that would make me slightly bitter. But despite that, she shows care for him. Sleeping in his bed while he's gone, she's obviously worried for him. And Bran forces himself not to care about her - but sometimes he can't help it.

I wish Patricia Briggs would write more on them. I'm a sucker for those types of tragic love stories.

And I love Bran - I love his humor, his wisdom, advice, his overall personality. How he could smile and then rip your head off. I like how mysterious his characters is, and I want to know more about his history.

message 44: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 84 comments I get what you are saying Carissa, I too thought a little better about her. But I guess if I was in that situation I would not act like such a bitch, I would do what I could to make people like me. So this is why I don't care for her. She made a choice, even knowing that, she choose to be nasty and vile to everyone.

message 45: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 88 comments I felt sorry for her but I thought sometimes bad stuff happens to bad people, I'll feel sorry for them but that doesn't change who they are.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

@Darcy: I get what you're saying. Lol, but I have a feeling I'd be just like her. I'd be nasty and I wouldn't hold back ^^; But, I think, after time I'd get tired of being mean to everyone. So hopefully Leah does, too.

message 47: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 279 comments Actually Briggs indicates in one of Bran's thoughts that the REASON he (or his wolf) picked Leah was because she WAS unlovable. He felt that that was the only way he'd be able to keep his distance and not have to worry about possibly going insane if he lost her. But with Anna here now--perhaps there is a chance for him AND for Leah.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

@Ann - But I don't think anyone is unlovable. And I don't think Bran knows everything. ^^; I think he thought he was making the best decision for himself at the time. And he was lonely. So, he chose someone he THOUGHT he couldn't love. But, now I'm thinking he does. Or is starting to.

Yay! I hope Anna plays matchmaker with her Omega-ness!!!

message 49: by MissEntropy (new)

MissEntropy | 8 comments I don't see Bran and and Leah having a human mating. I read somewhere on Hurog that Leah knew exactly what she was getting into when she mated with Bran. She wanted the power but she doesn't want the man. The fact that she chooses not to attend the Vet's funeral even though Bran was friends with him and got snotty with Anna because she did go with Charles doesn't strike me as a good partnership. Add to which she is stupid (Bran's words') and mean and I don't see someone as sensitive and basically decent as Bran truely falling in love with her, even a little.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Missentropy wrote: "I don't see Bran and and Leah having a human mating. I read somewhere on Hurog that Leah knew exactly what she was getting into when she mated with Bran. She wanted the power but she doesn't want..."

I think they're 'mate-able'. I guess I'm just a Leah fan. Poor Leah. I think Bran & Leah are a lot alike, which is why they're so frustrated with each other. If Leah, at the time, knew what she was getting into - then so did Bran. But, times change and people change. Or something's changed... I think. See - I'm just hoping for a Leah & Bran make up session. :)

And she didn't go to the funeral, not because she was against Bran - as a mate - but because she didn't agree with him actions, as a man. You say not good partnership, and I say lack of communication skills between two people who think they know everything. ^^;

And even Bran did call her 'stupid'. Again, I think she's a lot like Bran in that she appears as she wishes people to see her. She's the mate of Bran, so I wouldn't put it past her to act like him. Including acting like she knows everything - and using her 'stupidity' as a shroud to the fact that she could be very smart. :)

...I think I must be a Leah fan... But I'm a Bran fan too! :P

I just think that if they're both together and have been for 150+ years (approx.?) then I don't see why they can't stay together.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hunting Ground (other topics)
Too Many Magicians (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Randall Garrett (other topics)