Terminalcoffee discussion

Comments (showing 61-110)    post a comment »

Gertie (Hurdygertie) | 225 comments Thanks. Interesting... so in the end, it would have been better for us right? Pass the savings along and all that.

message 109: by Pat (new)

Pat (PatB37) | 371 comments Gertie wrote: "Better to fix it late than not at all. I've been really happy with Netflix, what they offer, their customer service, the pricing. The split was going to be a pain though, so I'm glad to see that is..."

They wanted to do it so they could negotiate better deals with the content owners (movie studios). Some of the studios want to charge Netflix PER SUBSCRIBER for the streaming rights. If they split the streaming customers from the DVD by mail customers, they could pay less for content.

Gertie (Hurdygertie) | 225 comments Better to fix it late than not at all. I've been really happy with Netflix, what they offer, their customer service, the pricing. The split was going to be a pain though, so I'm glad to see that isn't going through.

It's curious though, if they don't have to split up (for legal reasons or something) why did they try it in the first place? Maybe they just realozed they were going to lose way too many customers...

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments Man, talk about New Coke.

Bumblers.

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments They reversed the whole thing??

message 105: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Might be a little late to close the barn door now!

Sarah | 13810 comments Nobody said "no backsies," so Netflix is not splitting their services after all.

message 103: by Pat (new)

Pat (PatB37) | 371 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Here's a good article explaining the likely situation:
http://abovethecrowd.com/2011/09/18/u..."

Excellent article.

One point I am not hearing anyone make is the crazy quilt of content providers and the annoyance of searching for a specific show or movie.

I have completely given up on streaming until there is one place I can join/subscribe that gives me access to everything. I'm not interested figuring out which service/site has rights to which content.
I want to deal with a middle man who takes care of that for me.

The studios and content owners are going in the fragmenting direction. F*** them. I should be spending more time outside or reading or doing something useful anyway.

Misha (ninthwanderer) If that's the reason, I wish the Netflix CEO would have just explained that in his email.

Sarah | 13810 comments Here's a good article explaining the likely situation:
http://abovethecrowd.com/2011/09/18/u...

Gertie (Hurdygertie) | 225 comments I'll be interested to see how this separation works for those currently subscribed - hopefully it will be a smooth transfer not involving any redos on our part.

Misha (ninthwanderer) Bun wrote: I don't care as much about the price increase as I care about the separation of the two modes. .

Yup. I not only absorbed the price increase, I added the blu-ray "upgrade" for a couple more dollars, but the annoyance factor of having this split into two different services with two different accounts on two different websites is enough to make me consider dropping them, at least for DVD/blu-ray delivery.

Gertie (Hurdygertie) | 225 comments It's easy to get upset when there is a price increase on a product; initially I was disappointed but not surprised. Speaking for myself - I look at what is offered for the price, and think it is well worth it.
I get more than my money's worth if I compare it to other method's of watching.

The new name is seriously cheesy. I guess we'll get used to it though.

Sarah | 13810 comments I keep saying 'once I finish Prime Suspect'...and once I finish _____ and once I finish ____. I bet that's how they hope to keep a lot of us.

Misha (ninthwanderer) I gave the DVD service a second chance when I found out I could get blu-rays, but with this I think I'll be dropping it and saving the $7, just as soon as I'm finished watching Little Dorrit. I think I have one more disc of episodes coming.

Misha (ninthwanderer) Bun wrote: They're focusing on format instead of content which I think is exactly the wrong approach.

Yup. That's the problem in a nutshell for all sorts of industries -- newspapers, television, music, movies.

Sarah | 13810 comments That would make me feel better.
I read some of the blog responses, and the thing that I agree with is that they're losing their reputation for customer-friendliness as they change their business model.
They keep trying to pass this off as good news for the customers, but each move makes it more difficult for customers. Splitting my instant queue from my DVD queue is irritating. Would the DVD queue even stay intact for the move?
It just feels dishonest to try to make it seem like paying more for less is a good deal.

message 93: by Misha (last edited Sep 19, 2011 10:14AM) (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I don't necessarily blame Netflix for the lack of new releases as streaming content. My understanding is that's at least in part the Hollywood studios/movie distributors fearing that people won't go see a film or buy the DVD/blu-ray if it'll be readily streaming. I think instead of digging in to defend the old model, they should be figuring out how to make the new business model work for them, says the chick who works in the newspaperosaurus industry.

Apparently Netflix is saying there will be a "substantial" addition to streaming content before the DVD service splits off.

Sarah | 13810 comments You'd think they'd find a way to boost the streaming a little more before announcing this, though. As it is, they just lost all of their Starz content.

You can't stream new movies (though I guess Redbox may be stealing some of those customers anyway). I had kept my DVDs so I could watch stuff that isn't readily found in other places. Argh.
Idiots.
And ugh to Quikster as well.

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I've only stayed with them (streaming) thus far because of Scrubs, MST3K, random documentaries and some Studio Ghibli films. We'll see how well their already limited selection holds up after all these changes, and if any of those things go, I'm out.

message 90: by Misha (last edited Sep 19, 2011 09:22AM) (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I think they must have hired the same firm that came up with "SyFy" and "Blastr."

Also, I have a suspicion they're doing this so they can position themselves to sell off either the streaming or the DVD piece of the business. That's entirely speculation, however.

Brittomart My thing is that if they lost one million customers due to the price increase, how are they going to gain new customers? By dividing their services? Really now?

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments And can I just say, "Qwikster? Really?!"

They definitely need to hire some fresh blood in their marketing department. What a crappy name.

Misha (ninthwanderer) I got an email this morning announcing the change. I found it ironic that an email that opens with an apology for screwing up then goes on to announce an even more bone-headed change. I will be far more likely to cancel my DVD service if I can't integrate my queue. I like being able to move something from DVD to streaming if it becomes available.

And can I just say, "Qwikster? Really?!"

Brittomart Here is the blog post and the well-written comments that follow:
http://blog.netflix.com/2011/09/expla...

DUMB.

Sarah | 13810 comments Huh. You just made me realize that my third option is to switch to streaming but reopen my membership at the absolutely awesome indie video store in Charles Village. It's out of the way, but it'll cover all of the stuff that falls into the gap.

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Argh. So now Netflix is splitting into two companies. They won't share a queue any longer.
I'm still so torn. Their selection of DVDs is still better than anyone's. If I switch to streaming only, t..."

It's really annoying (and more than a little stupid). We pretty much stick to streaming, but it was nice getting one or two DVDs a month to catch up with things the streaming didn't provide. Now I'll have to try to get stuff like Micmacs and The Illusionist through Blockbuster, which is hit or miss when it comes to foreign and indie titles. Plus, Blockbuster recently laid off a good friend of mine for stupid reasons, so I'm not keen on maintaining my relationship with our local store.

Sarah | 13810 comments Argh. So now Netflix is splitting into two companies. They won't share a queue any longer.
I'm still so torn. Their selection of DVDs is still better than anyone's. If I switch to streaming only, three quarters of the stuff I want to watch will disappear. I can't switch to DVD only because Zu uses the streaming more than I do.

Amelia Sarah Pi wrote: "Redbox is good for new movies. The ones that don't show up on Redbox or Netflix streaming are some of the TV shows and older movies I want to watch: Prime Suspect, the last season of Six Feet Under..."

I SO used to love Six Feet Under. I own the first 3 seasons on DVD, maybe 4. They kinda lost me though, turned into a big shag fest, even Ma would screw anything that stood still. I knew when I started thinking I wouldn't mind too much if the brain tumor took Nate out it probably wasn't the show for me anymore. Wah, wah, wah.

My mom told me that when she was in High School she found it terribly embarrassing that her dad drove a hearse. He wasn't an undertaker, he just got a good deal on it. My gramps drove me and my friends to & from school all through HS, in an enormous maroon station wagon. Where is the justice in that? I would have LOVED it if he had a hearse! That would have been so cool.

Sarah | 13810 comments BunWat wrote: "OMG I just realized I can stream videos with Amazon Prime, which I have. Buh bye Netflix."

The selection there is even worse, though...

Misha (ninthwanderer) Bun wrote: Double concur.

Anyone want to go for a triple dog concur?

message 79: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (MrsNolte) | 17266 comments Mod
Misha wrote: "But if Netflix truly does want to nudge people over to streaming, improved selection would be far more effective."

Concur.

Misha (ninthwanderer) Ha. I went to Netflix.com to change my plan to from streaming + one DVD to streaming only, and ended up adding the blu-ray option instead. About half the movies I had in my small DVD queue are available from Netflix on blu-ray, so I guess I'll try that out for awhile and see if I get enough use out of it to keep that plan. Now I just need to send that other disc back...

message 77: by Misha (last edited Jul 16, 2011 12:06PM) (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Even though Netflix doesn't have everything I want available on its streaming service, it has enough of interest to me that I'll never watch everything in my streaming queue. My video needs are pretty simple: just entertain me for awhile in the evening after a hard day of work. It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest release. I've been going to Redbox for newer releases anyway because there's one at my supermarket. Even then, I'm rarely looking for a specific film -- just something to watch that night. So I'll likely be dropping the Netflix disc service since I don't use it anyway. I have a DVD that's been sitting on my TV stand since October (I lost the mailer and have been too lazy to just write out an envelope and take it to the post office, especially since I'm not paying any fees).

But if Netflix truly does want to nudge people over to streaming, improved selection would be far more effective.

Pat (PatB37) | 371 comments From what I have been reading and also from what they say on the blog, the problem is that people still get far more DVDs in the mail than they expected when they added the unlimited streaming. Now they are trying to nudge people over to streaming.

I think the problem is that they never acknowledge the issue of the inferior choices in streaming. Also, it appears that the streaming choices will shrink rather than grow in the near future. The movie studios who own the content want much more money and much shorter windows of availability.

message 75: by Sally, la reina (new)

Right? I think what they mean is that it "makes sense" for their need to increase their profits, because they still employ all those red shirted people in factories, sorting discs into envelopes but have a lot more people just clicking buttons on their own home devices and not needing factory-sorted discs any more.

message 74: by Brittomart (last edited Jul 16, 2011 08:32AM) (new)

Brittomart Here is a link to the blog post where Netflix announces the new changes:
http://blog.netflix.com/2011/07/netfl...

The number of times they use "makes sense" in that blog really pisses me off. They keep saying, "Splitting this into two charges makes sense." Are there really that many people who just want the DVDs and not the streaming? Because I've been hearing that people are ditching the DVDs and keeping the streaming with the price hike, if they're not getting rid of the service altogether.

message 73: by Sally, la reina (new)

Naw.

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments Is this TFA?

message 71: by Sally, la reina (new)

Twice. It is quite rural and beautiful.

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments Have you been there?

message 69: by Sally, la reina (new)

So I'll be curious to see what works best when we get down there. We'll actually be near Weston, a very small town a half hour west and 2000 feet above Trinidad.
Sattelite internet only, so streaming might not even be an option come winter. Or it might be fantastically faster than mail service and worth it to buy a Blue Ray or PS2 or whatever.

Sarah | 13810 comments The AppleTV takes days to download purchased movies - we only tried that once - and a long time for trailers as well. Streaming from Netflix via AppleTV is fine and fast, though.

Phil | 11390 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Aynge, what device are you using to stream? The AppleTV quality is definitely better than the Wii on our HDTV."

Our Apple TV takes hours to download anything. Same thing with streaming VoD from DishNetwork. For us, it's much faster to stream things via NetFlix, on either the BluRay, Wii or PS3.

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1201 comments Amelia wrote: "Aynge, maybe it's your Internet speed? We have a sony blu-ray player that streams to our HDTV and haven't had that problem at all. And, I use it all the time. I have hundreds of items in my stre..."

I don't think so. It streams from the PS3, and that has Blu-ray. It doesn't stall. The picture quality is just very crappy, worse than a VHS tape.

Sarah | 13810 comments Redbox is good for new movies. The ones that don't show up on Redbox or Netflix streaming are some of the TV shows and older movies I want to watch: Prime Suspect, the last season of Six Feet Under, most of Woody Allen's catalog. 300 out of the 500 on my queue.

Angela~twistedmind~ (twistedmind) | 540 comments Personally, I like Redbox. We've got 4 within 5 minutes of home. If one has a shitload of people in line, we go to a different one. Plus, we both get a free movie code on our cells every first Monday of the month.

Michael Cyril wrote: "about half the DVDs I get are Indian movies, which are utter torture to watch."

I've never seen an Indian movie but this video cracks me up.

Probably NSFW.

Sarah | 13810 comments Aynge, what device are you using to stream? The AppleTV quality is definitely better than the Wii on our HDTV.

Sally, the single-discs and the streaming cost the same, so if your reception is lousy you can just do disc-only.

Amelia Aynge, maybe it's your Internet speed? We have a sony blu-ray player that streams to our HDTV and haven't had that problem at all. And, I use it all the time. I have hundreds of items in my streaming queue. Plenty to keep me very busy for a long time as a bunch of them are series shows (netflix just adds seasons as they come available, so don't delete a show when you have watched them all, unless it's no longer running, as more will be added when the next season comes up).

« previous 1 3
unread topics | mark unread