mystery lovers discussion

Victorian and Edwardian crime

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dfordoom (new)

Dfordoom | 18 comments Who are your favourite writers of Victorian and Edwardian crime mysteries?

I'm personally very fond of R. Austin Freeman's Dr Thorndyke stories and Arthur Morrison's Martin Hewitt stories. And for something more offbeat, Baroness Orczy's Old Man in the Corner stories are fun.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) Sherlock Holmes!

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine Brannen (murdermostbritish) | 10 comments These are my favorite time periods ...

Elizabeth Peter's Amelia Peabody series
Kate Kingsbury Pennyfoot Hotel series
Emily Brightwell's Mrs. Jeffries series (very light)
Marion Chesney's Edwardian mystery series
Robin Paige's Victorian/Edwardian mystery series
Anne Perry's Thomas & Charlotte Pitt series

there are several more, but I can't think of them at the moment

hope this helps

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Sullivan | 2 comments Here are several of my favorites:
-Anne Perry's Charlotte and Thomas Pitt mysteries and her William Monk series
-The Gaslight series by Victoria Thompson
Best,
K

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela I like Laurie King's Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series very much.

message 6: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) All by Anne Perry, but I also discovered WWI series by Charles Todd recently (thanks to someone on goodreads) and I'm obsessed and happy to have a new quintessential British mystery from first to latest. The character Rutledge suffers from ptsd after war and A TEST OF WILL was 1st and excellent period book.

Happy reading!
Peace!

message 7: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 21 comments I'm with you on Laurie King, Pamela.

message 8: by Kathy (last edited Oct 28, 2008 08:35AM) (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 34 comments I'm with Pamela and Wilhelmina on Laurie R. King's Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series. I love it! Another author that I've discovered is Deana Raybourn. I've read her two Victorian mysteries, Silent in the Grave and Silent in the Sanctuary, and loved them--a female lead. She is coming out with another in this series, but I'm not sure how many more she plans on for the series.

message 9: by Libbie (new)

Libbie | 4 comments Kathy wrote: "I'm with Pamela and Wilhelmina on Laurie R. King's Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series. I love it! Another author that I've discovered is Deana Raybourn. I've read her two Victorian mysteries, S..."

Just finished Silent in the Moore, by Raybourn. I loved it--sure hope she writes more Julia Gray mysteries.

message 10: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 44 comments Well I've already mentioned Laurie King on the Sherlock Holmes movie trailer thread.

I've also been intrigued by the Gyles Brandeth's books in which Oscar Wilde and Arthur Conan Doyle investigate cases. I've read two so far.

Shomeret

message 11: by Nada (new)

Nada Are there any cool mysteries about Jack the Ripper?

message 12: by Kt (new)

Kt Thames Like a few others, I love Anne Perry's books - particularly the William Monk series.

message 13: by Dalyce (new)

Dalyce | 1 comments Along with many of the authors you've mentioned, Bruce Alexander's series featuring blind magistrate Sir John Fielding and the Bow Street Runners are some of my favorite period mysteries.

message 14: by Joseph (last edited Dec 02, 2013 04:20PM) (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 31 comments Along with the previously mentioned Robin Paige's Victorian/Edwardian mystery series and Laurie R. King's Mary Russell series, I also like Tasha Alexander's Lady Emily Ashton series, Susan Wittig Albert's Beatrix Potter series, and C.S. Harris's Sebastian St. Cyr series.
For a list of other Victorian and Edwardian Era mysteries, check out http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/His... and http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/His...

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 81 comments Try Peter Lovesey's Bertie mysteries. Loved them, and the detective is HRH Edward before he became king, which makes them both Victorian AND Edwardian!

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robin Paige (other topics)
Laurie R. King (other topics)
Tasha Alexander (other topics)
Susan Wittig Albert (other topics)
C.S. Harris (other topics)