Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly > 2010-04 - Favorites - Post April Reviews Here

Comments (showing 1-50 of 93) (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 234 comments Oops! Forgot to start this thread!! Post away!!!

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen (Karenofthebookworm) | 713 comments Wild Swans***** i loved this, it was so sad but also uplifting at the same time.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog*** sweet book but nothing much happens.

message 3: by Susan (last edited Apr 06, 2010 05:35AM) (new)

Susan | 2042 comments Wicked Lovely: *** Fantasy is not really my thing, but I enjoyed this book more than I expected. The characters are fascinating.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen (Karenofthebookworm) | 713 comments Playing with Fire***** as you could guess from the five stars I loved this book. How can you not love a series that has a skeleton as its lead character, a skeleton who reminds me of David Tennant's version of Doctor Who. This is the second book of the series and i just raced through it now I need to go to the library website and see if they have the third one.

message 5: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments Karen wrote: "Wild Swans***** i loved this, it was so sad but also uplifting at the same time.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog*** sweet book but nothing much happens."

I wondered how Elegance really was, it was a selection for another book club I belong to, but wasn't available on kindle and I decided not to pay to have it shipped here. . .

message 6: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments I've read Me & Emma which was thought provoking, the author tried to write a surprise ending that I thought could have gone another way. Don't want to say too much or I'll give it away! Gave it *** stars

The Hiding Place Gave this one ***** stars. An absolutely amazing book!

The Eyre Affair *** It was okay. I thought I'd like it more than I did. . . maybe if I could catch more of the literary references that I did. . .but loved that Jane Eyre was a centerpiece in it! :-)

The Kite Runner Gave this one ***** stars too! I'm pretty stingy with my stars, and two books from the favorites shelf have earned them so far! I was so deeply moved by this book--it's one that will have you thinking about it for a long time!

message 7: by Cam (new)

Cam Have just finished Rules By Cynthia Lord.
A young girls story about that awkward age & surviving it with an autistic Brother, who she is sure is out to destroy any inkling of that cool image she's trying so desperately to create.
This is a great story for children with a disabled sibling in the family - largely the market this is aimed at c/o the author's daughter asking the question - 'why is there no stories that talk about families like ours'? as well as showing great empathy for the siblings of children with handicaps & things they have to deal with day to day, It's a good story for parents of disabled & non disabled children as a gentle reminder that though they may consider their non special needs children low maintenance - that doesn't mean they should be left to a DIY childhood (I've been guilty of this myself from time to time). Loads of positive messages. I'm going to be giving this to my Children to read next. 4 Stars

message 8: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 234 comments Finished Wintergirls - 5* for me. Another book that I can't say I enjoyed, but once I started it, I felt compelled to keep reading. A very chilling look at the life of an anorexic teen, experienced from her POV Here's my review

message 9: by Sunflower (new)

Sunflower | 174 comments Have just finished Catching Fire. I didn't find it as good as the Hunger Games, it took a lot longer to get going (134 pages), and the ending wasn't really an ending-just a way of making us buy the next one in the series. And I will, but overall a bit disappointed with this one. Maybe I expected too much?

message 10: by Luann (last edited Apr 07, 2010 11:07AM) (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 988 comments Mod
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. 3.5 stars.

This wasn't on my "favorites" plan, but 14 people have shelved it that way, so I figured I might as well post it. I wanted to love this! I did love a lot of things about it: the title, the cover, the main character, the first line. I loved the fact that the body is found in a cucumber patch! But I got just a little tired of it before the end. You can read my review here.

message 11: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments What took me so long to read Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier? I loved it! Rated it ***** stars. I've heard DuMaurier compared to Bronte--rightly so. . . this books ranks right up there with Jane Eyre in the romantic suspense category.

message 12: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (Lmsindel) I finished Avalon High and I really liked it. Here is my review:

I am a little surprised by how much I liked this book. I am a sort of King Arthur purist/snob and so I had my doubts. But I really enjoyed the characters in the story and both the similarities and differences with the Arthurian legend. It was fun to read a book about Arthur where I didn't quite know how it was going to end. Was it a deep read? NO, Was it a fun read? YES. I read the whole book (admittedly not a very long one) in one day, and I NEVER do that.

I look forward to reading the 3 graphic novels which conclude this series, if I can ever get my hands on them that is.

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen (Karenofthebookworm) | 713 comments The Forest of Hands and Teeth***** I loved this and for something that included zombies it seemed very realistic. While I don't like Mary she is far to selfish I do want to know about the other characters. Did Jed survive? What happened to Harry, Cass, Jacob and Argos ? Will definitely need to get the sequel.

message 14: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments A Thousand Splendid Suns ***** stars. Wow. What a journey Laila and Mariam took me on.

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen (Karenofthebookworm) | 713 comments Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell I'm really struggling with this so I'm going to leave it for a while a read something else

message 16: by Katey (new)

Katey (kateyyy) | 50 comments I just finished Angels & Demons by Dan Brown and gave it 5 stars
I thought it was BRILLIANT!
I don't know why I didn't read this sooner.
I loved how suspenseful it was and it had me guessing until the very end. I pretty much sat on the edge of my seat the whole time!

message 17: by Susan (last edited Apr 09, 2010 09:18AM) (new)

Susan | 2042 comments I enjoyed The Golden Compass, and give it ***. The female barely-teenage protagonist is fascinating, as is the concept of humans each having their own daemons (using the word in its ancient Greek meaning). What kept me from giving it 4 stars was the ending, where it felt like the author cheated a little bit -- maybe to give the set-up he wanted for the 2nd book in the trilogy.

message 18: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 234 comments Enjoyed Anne of Green Gables - A delightfully told story! Anne is precocious and outgoing and very, very, very talkative!! She also has a penchant for getting into trouble, and often drives Marilla and Matthew to distraction. And they put up with all her shenanigans even though she's 'just a girl' and their plan had been to take in an orphan boy to help Matthew with the work at Green Gables.

message 19: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 234 comments Another book added to my initial post - I Am the Messenger was not as gripping as The Book Thief, and it took me a while to care about the main character and his friends, but there was enough there to keep me going. I gave it a 3.5* rating. Here's my review

message 20: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (Lmsindel) Karen wrote: "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell I'm really struggling with this so I'm going to leave it for a while a read something else"

I never did finish it. It sounds interesting, but it sure is slow going.

message 21: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Lynne wrote: "Karen wrote: "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell I'm really struggling with this so I'm going to leave it for a while a read something else"

I never did finish it. It sounds interestin..."

I started it too and gave up on it.

message 22: by Cam (new)

Cam I just finished The Invention of Hugo Cabret By Brian Selznick. It was a library book that my Daughter had borrowed, that I picked up by accident - it peeked my interest by it's unusual format (reminded me a little of Shaun Tan), using both pure illustration and written form to tell the story of Hugo an apprentice timekeeper that must remain anonymous, hidden within the walls of a busy Paris train station. It is part graphic novel, part story & part historical fiction as it incorporates an early film pioneer & the very real invention of the automaton (interesting links - to the working of these machines at the back of the book). I wasn't at all surprised to find this on the favorites shelves when I was done.
I gave the book 4 stars

message 23: by Tara (last edited Apr 10, 2010 02:19PM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments I just finished Elsewhere and I can totally see how this book was listed as a favorite. I gave it 4 stars. It is a sweet little book about afterlife. It portrays afterlife is one like I have not seen before. I think I would like afterlife if it includes going to Elsewhere.

message 24: by Arlene (last edited Apr 10, 2010 03:49PM) (new)

Arlene | 145 comments The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
I loved this book. Margaret Lea lives a quiet life in an apartment above her father's bookstore. From time to time she writes a biography of some obscure literary figure from the past. Then she is asked to meet with Vida Winter who is England's most famous living author. What follows is a journey into both their pasts. She isn't sure if Miss Winter is telling her a "story" or the truth about her life. The tale takes her on many twists and turns.

message 25: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2042 comments Her Fearful Symmetry I was surprised to find this on the Favorites shelf, but there it was. (Thanks, Slayermel, for telling me how to do that!). I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as Time Traveler's Wife, by the same author. A lot of the book revolves around twins and how they affect each other. And the entire story is set in or near a graveyard, so of course one or more ghosts figure prominently. I found both aspects -- the twins and the ghost(s) -- more than a little bizarre. But the author's ability to describe situations and fascinating characters with difficult dilemmas is what made the book enjoyable for me. I gave it 3stars ***.

message 26: by Sunflower (new)

Sunflower | 174 comments Just finished Duneby Frank Herbert for another group and yes, it's also on the Favorites shelf. I got into it after the first 200 pages, and though challenging at first, it is a worthwhile read because it is such an important part of the science fiction literature.

message 27: by Cam (last edited Apr 11, 2010 04:34AM) (new)

Cam I'm looking forward to reading that Sunflower - I have the Audio as well but refuse to be tempted till I've finished the written format first. It is one of those classic/cult sci fi books isn't it. Every time it comes up in conversation - I find that all faces turn & say in unison to me 'Haven't you read that yet' You can at least say 'yes'! you have, now!

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 270 comments I finished Rebecca on the weekend and gave it four stars. I was a little surprised at how similar it was to Jane Eyre and it took me a little while to get to like the narrator.
Maybe not one of my absolute favourites but a definate read-again.

message 29: by Sunflower (new)

Sunflower | 174 comments Cam wrote: "I'm looking forward to reading that Sunflower - I have the Audio as well but refuse to be tempted till I've finished the written format first. It is one of those classic/cult sci fi books isn't it...." Definitely! Don't know if I'll get carried away and read any more of the series. I have found that it does stick in my mind-we have water coming out of the sky today here and that registered- you'll get that when you've read it!

message 30: by Karen (new)

Karen (Karenofthebookworm) | 713 comments The Big Over Easy***. Am going to give it three stars because it's a lovely day and the sun is shining, which here in scotland is a real novelty, but it is really more of a two and a half star book. I never really engaged with the characters in this book the way I did with the characters in the Thursday Next series, I don't know why as the main characters are not unlikeable they are just bland but maybe they'll improve as the series goes on.

message 31: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 234 comments Another book not in my original post!
The Lightning Thief was an OK read, but it didn't really engage me. It was creative enough, but I ended up caring more about Grover the satyr than about Percy the half-blood god. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for fantasy, but it was due back at the library in 2 days, so I went for it. I rated it 3.5*

message 32: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (Lmsindel) Karen wrote: "The Big Over Easy***. Am going to give it three stars because it's a lovely day and the sun is shining, which here in scotland is a real novelty, but it is really more of a two and a ha..."

Karen, first let me say that I am soooo jealous that you live in Scotland. I would love to retire there someday, by descent I am German, but my heart belongs to the Scots (not that there is anything wrong with Germany).

I totally agree with you about "The Big Over Easy". THe premiss seemed really funny, but I never even finished the book. I just thought it was "blah". I LOVE the Thursday Next series though. I only have one more to go, and I am hesitant to read it because I don't want the story to end.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2081 comments Mod
My first book of the month is the new Dresden Files book;Changes by Jim Butcher. While I am a huge fan of this series in general, I have to say, this book is perhaps the best one yet. If not, it is definitely in the top two. My thoughts:

Jim Butcher is back on track with the 12th Dresden book and Harry Dresden is back with a vengeance. Literally. This book contains everything that I like about the Dresden files series. Lots of action, twists and turns, some great new characters that I hope we see more of, and ALL of the old favorites (except the werewolves). Harry is no longer the melancholy brooder of the last book, Molly has lost her teenage angst, and Thomas and Bob are, well....Thomas and Bob. That is one of the things that I have come to love about this series. Although it is named after Harry Dresden, and he is obviously the central character throughout the books, there is an excellent cast of supporting characters who Butcher is developing with as much care and thought at that of Dresden.

As you can probably guess, I am giving this book 5 stars.

message 34: by Karen (new)

Karen (Karenofthebookworm) | 713 comments Their Eyes Were Watching God***. I really liked the use of language and the development of the characters in this book.

message 35: by Karen (new)

Karen (Karenofthebookworm) | 713 comments The Faceless Ones*****. Is it wrong to have a major crush on a walking talking skeleton? I absolutely love this series and as the library doesn't have the fourth book and I'm desperate to know what happens to Skulduggery I've just had to buy it instead.

message 36: by Arlene (new)

Arlene | 145 comments I read The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. ***** I loved this book. Margaret Lea lives a quiet life in an apartment above her father's bookstore. From time to time she writes a biography of some obscure literary figure from the past. Then she is asked to meet with Vida Winter who is England's most famous living author. What follows is a journey into both their pasts. She isn't sure if Miss Winter is telling her a "story" or the truth about her life. The tale takes her on many twists and turns.

message 37: by Pollyanna (new)

Pollyanna (Polly8) | 94 comments The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky 5*

This was such a quick read and I really enjoyed it. I really felt for Charlie; when he was embarassed, I was and when he was sad I was. I found it a very entertaining read and I think most people probably know someone a little like Charlie. I know I do and I think that helped to relate to him in a way.

Arlene - That is one of my favorites, too.

message 39: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 234 comments Arlene wrote: "I read The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. ***** I loved this book."

I also loved this book - it's on a list of books to reread/listen to again just to pick up all the details and nuances I missed out on in the rush to find out what happened.

Isn't it interesting how some books are like that?

message 41: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I just finished Little Bee*****
It was a wonderful book. I loved Little Bee's humor. It had some great ideas to ponder.

message 42: by Luann (new)

Erak's Ransom by John Flanagan. 5 stars!

I love, love, love this series! And this book was probably my favorite so far. If I had a "favorites" shelf, I would definitely shelve this book there. Five people who DO have a "favorites" shelf agreed with me. :) You can read my review here.

message 43: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I just finished A Great and Terrible Beauty**** It was good, but definitely more of a read for entertainment rather than literary value. I am a sucker for books with magic and supernatural stuff. I will definitely check out the next book in the series.

message 44: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2042 comments I don't know why I'd never read To Kill a Mockingbird before--timing, I guess. I'm glad this month's shelf prompted me to finally do it. It's clear why it's considered a classic. It was amazing!
Easily 5 stars.

message 45: by Mita (new)

Mita (MitaB) | 104 comments So I finally got myself to read The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry and it was just beautiful. It's deceivingly simple but still kept me thinking even after closing the book. I have a feeling it's one book I'll read many times over in the future. Four stars!

message 46: by Sunflower (new)

Sunflower | 174 comments I have just read The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver for another group, and there it is sitting on 5 people's favorites shelf. This is a genre that I haven't read since my teenage years, (when I worked my way along my cousins' holiday reading shelf), so a good re-introduction.

message 47: by Blarneygod (new)

Blarneygod | 127 comments I just finished Haunted by Meg Cabot. It was entertaining fun fluff. I really have enjoyed this series and this was my favorite so far. Only one more book in the series to go. I noticed a lot of similarities between this series and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, except are heroine was battling ghosts instead of vampires.

If you enjoy fluffy young adults books with a touch of the supernatural then I would recommend this series. The first book in this series is Shaddowland. I still like Meg Cabot's 1-800-Where are You? series, about the girl who gets hit by lightening and then can find missing children, better than this Mediator series, but both are fast and fun reads.

message 48: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 234 comments Finished two more, and may finish another:

The Call of the Wild belongs on a classics list and on Children/YA reading lists, so it's hard to realize that Jack London did not enjoy writing (except for the "serious" works that were critical of the industrial system, and part of that comes through here in his love of the untouched wilderness)

The Picture of Dorian Gray was also on my personal list of Classics-to-read-in-2010, and I really thought this would be a reread from high school years, but I apparently read an excerpt or abridged version, although I guess I could have forgotten that many things. The ending, of course, is indelibly imprinted in memory, as well as what I call the two major events - about the young girl, and her brother who comes for Dorian years later but is convinced for a while he must have the wrong man, and the deciding moment in Dorian's misbegotten life, when he chooses between keeping his secret or his friend's life.

message 49: by Luann (new)

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan. 3 stars.

This is the favorite of 107 people on GR. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. It was enjoyable enough to read, and I did care about the characters. But overall, the book was just a bit depressing. Nothing very good seemed to happen to any of the characters. I was waiting for the mothers to have some life-changing wisdom to impart to their daughters because of their experiences, but that really never happened. Maybe a touch at the end, but I was hoping for more. I definitely don't regret reading this, since I'm sure I'll think about this book later on in regards to the relationships between mothers and daughters. But it also isn't a book I will most likely ever read again.

message 50: by Luann (new)

Mort by Terry Pratchett. 4 stars.

This was exactly what I expect from Terry Pratchett - a very fun and funny read! Death has always been one of my favorite Pratchett characters. I especially loved that when Death went to apply for a different job, he wanted "something nice working with cats or flowers." Too fun!

This has been a fun month! I love the HUGE variety found on the favorites shelf. I'm planning to get to at least one more.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Elegance of the Hedgehog (other topics)
Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China (other topics)
Fragile Eternity (other topics)
Playing with Fire (other topics)
The Hiding Place (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Alan Bradley (other topics)
Dan Brown (other topics)
Diane Setterfield (other topics)
Frank Herbert (other topics)
Jim Butcher (other topics)
More...