Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (general) > Your favorite read of March!

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (JenneferPracticex3) | 247 comments It's the start of another fun month of reading challenges but first I want to know.... What was your favorite book you read in March and why? Read any big disappointments? Has a series you have been reading taken a turn for the worst for you this month? Let's review our month of reading, the good the bad and the ugly! :)

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 709 comments Black Magic Sanction. Loved it. I really did not like my 2nd reading of Women in Love, I think I'm too old and jaded for this book now.

message 3: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (JenneferPracticex3) | 247 comments I had a great reading month in March. Enjoyed just about everything I read very much. Some of my highlights:
I think WHITNEY MY LOVE by Judith McNaught was my very favorite this month. I couldn't put it down! My biggest surprise this month was probably Night's Master by Tanith Lee. I really like her style and it is very different from what I normally read. Very cool sci-fi/fantasy author. I just keep on going with the in death series. Listened to Immortal in Death and Rapture in Death both this month and I am not bored with it yet! Also read Maurice by E.M. Forster this month. I am really glad I read it but I am still not sure what I think of it. Still need to post in the "dare you read" challenge I started on this one, but I am still gelling I think.

WHITNEY MY LOVE by Judith McNaught Night's Master by Tanith Lee Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) by J.D. Robb Rapture in Death (In Death, #4) by J.D. Robb Maurice (Penguin Classics) by E.M. Forster

message 4: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 1368 comments My two favorite reads for March were:
The Guise of a Gentleman by Donna Hatch - Well-rounded HR with fun action and adventure, swoon-worthy romance and great H/H.

Night Play (Dark-Hunter, #6) - Pretty much a ditto of above. Just loved the story and characters.

I didn't have any major disappointments in March. Everything else I read rated four stars, although Robyn Carr's Virgin River wasn't quite as good as I expected based on the rave reviews.

message 5: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9000 comments My top read for March is my late February Pick-It-For-Me-Challenge book: The Time Traveler's Wife. I got it in audiobook format, and it took me the whole month of March to listen to it. By the time I finished, it had me crying while driving. Not a pretty sight. : ) I got emotionally invested in the characters and I thought the book was just beautiful.

Other good books I read this March include Brockmann'sOver the Edge (3rd book in her Troubleshooters series and Christopher Moore's Fool.

message 6: by Carla (last edited Apr 01, 2010 08:18PM) (new)

Carla (Carla981) | 108 comments I read some really good books in March, but my favorite for the month was:
Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost
The night that I finished it, I went to Barns and Noble to get book 2, luckily they didn't have it - so I went on with my March reading list as planned! lol! I will be reading One Foot in the Grave for April!

The only real disappointment was that I had barrowed Sense and Sensibility on audio from my library and disc 5 was trashed, so I didn't get to finish it. Audio books saved my rear this month on reading. If not for those, I would have had a really low book count for March. It kills me that I loose several hours a day to driving time - I am so glad that I started filling some of that time with books, even if I am not physically reading them - I still get quite a bit out of them.

message 7: by Annvelwis (new)

Annvelwis | 671 comments Re-reads in spe, heh...
Sunshine by Robin McKinley and Archangel's Kiss by Nalini Singh were my fav's in March, I think.
Also Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl is one I won't forget quickly.

Books I didn't care for...
That would be Death Perception by Victoria Laurie. I liked first book in the series, but it goes downhill from there. I'm not quick to abandon series but this one tempts me to do so...
Also, Prom Nights from Hell anthologhy was quite weak...

message 8: by LethalLovely~I'm Waiting & Fading & Floating Away (last edited Apr 02, 2010 02:13AM) (new)

LethalLovely~I'm Waiting & Fading & Floating Away (LethalLovely) | 822 comments Hmmm...My favorite for March would have to be The Sweet Scent of Blood by Suzanne McLeod.I won it at a Dear Author book giveaway & it exceeded my expectations.Only sucky thing is that she's a british author & Sweet doesn't come out in the US till May or something while her 2nd(& I think 3rd) book is already published in the UK.

Big disappointments for me were 1)Ash by Malinda Lo because it had the potential to be a great book with Cinderella falling for a chick but it was so damn boring & 2)Goddess of Spring by P. C. Cast.I though "ooh,sexy romance with Hades,lord of the Underworld" but it was so sickly sweet that I felt like I needed to check my glucose levels after reading it.Not to mention the sex scenes were so purply.I'm a grown ass woman.I can take explicit sexoring,not just "He fell on top of her & there was a rainbow explosion of ecstasy" fade into black.

message 9: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 433 comments March was a pretty good month for me, with a couple of books I'd never have found without this group. I was totally taken by surprise by Line of Scrimmageby Marie Force. It was one of Rossy's dares, and I'm so glad I read it. I also loved Over Hexed by Vicki Lewis Thompson which was picked for me for March, and resulted in me ordering the following two before I was even done with the first!

I also read Emma by Jane Austen which really surprised me as there's a little bit where Emma's sister is talking to their father about her visit to South End and he's talking about how the air there is so awful it's worse than that in London! Considering I'm off to visit my grandparents there next week (and I've lived there for a year, and now live in London) I found the whole discussion hysterical.

Luckily I didn't have any disappointments last month, so I'm happy about that. Less so now I've started April with a naff book :(

message 10: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments My favourite book last month was by far Perfume: The Story of a Murderer. I liked the movie but loved the book.It was written with a playful quality that made such a warped subject (he's a serial killer) delightful to read.
My pick it challenge read, The Host, was a close second. I just wish there was more. Hopefully she'll get writing soon!
My biggest dissappointment was Again The Magic which I didn't really care for at all. I just tried to get through it as quickly as possible so I could get to the Wallflowers.

message 11: by Lotte_ladybird (last edited Apr 03, 2010 12:31PM) (new)

Lotte_ladybird I read 20 books in March and quite a few were re-reads. One of the brilliant things about the challenges is that I get to re-read books I've wanted to read again for ages but haven't gotten around to.
As for new books..
Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz was fantastic. I rushed out to get book 2, though I still haven't had a chance to read it.

I also read the first two Darke Academy books by Gabriella Poole which were great too.

I did't have any big disappointments though Blood runs cold by Alex Barclay was a bit disappointing. I really wanted to read a brilliant crime book and while it was an ok(or even good) book there was something missing though I'm not quite sure what.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (Jim_formerly_Photojim) | 5294 comments I managed to put in 20 books as well in March with only one re-read. The Susan Mallery series starting with Delicious turned out to be a great series. I enjoyed the whole Buchanen clan. I also started reading the J.D. Robb 'In Death' series. Very much enjoying that as well.

As for stinkers, Jo Leigh's Release was the worst. Vicki Lewis Thompson's Every Woman's Fantasy was little better. That's doubly disappointing as I usually really like her books.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) I discovered Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series in March and read a book a day until I'd read them all. I have a new favorite author now. :)

message 14: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 709 comments I did the same thing Briansgirl. I got the series, started reading it on Friday and spent every waking moment finishing the series by Monday. I even lost a little weight the books were so engrossing, I didn't even snack (which is a huge thing for me).

message 15: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments Briansgirl "Master Book Sale Huntress" wrote: "I discovered Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series in March and read a book a day until I'd read them all. I have a new favorite author now. :)"

I'm just about to start the series. Maybe I should wait until I have more time off from work and don't need to sleep (or eat)! :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Women in Love (other topics)
Black Magic Sanction (other topics)
Night's Master (other topics)
Maurice (other topics)
Rapture in Death (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jane Austen (other topics)
Vicki Lewis Thompson (other topics)
Marie Force (other topics)