The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General Chat > Currently Reading? Just Finished?

Comments (showing 6,901-6,950 of 10,272) (10272 new)    post a comment »

message 6901: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Herbert (ellenkherbert) | 23 comments I just finished GORKY PARK and before that 3 Stations and before that HAVANA BAY, all by Martin Cruz Smith, fabulous writer with unusual settings, meaning both where and when his stories take place. HAVANA BAY takes place in Cuba after the break up of the USSR when Russians are PNGs and Cubans are so poor they deep sea fish from inner tubes.

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (LaurieKwiltreader) | 14 comments Chris wrote: "Has anyone read Jo Nesbo's Phantom? I was really looking forward to it, having enjoyed both The Snowman and The Leopard.

It's next on my list so will let you know what I think. I really enjoyed The Snowman and The Leopard also.

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (LaurieKwiltreader) | 14 comments Just finished Dog on it by Spencer Quinn. It was ok...not really my type of mystery. The series is picked for our next Mystery Club. I did manage to complete it but probably won't read any more.

message 6904: by Judith (new)

Judith Starkston | 47 comments Rebecca Cantrell has a new book coming out in her Hannah Vogel series. This one is set in Poland and Berlin on the eve of Krystallnacht. I love the way Cantrell gets in big ideas and themes into nail-biting, exciting reading. She's a favorite of mine these days. My review of A City of Broken Glass.

message 6905: by Erin (new)

Erin | 64 comments Just Finished Trial Junkies by Robert Gregory Browne. Now i'm starting Lawrence Block's Matthew Scudder series.

message 6906: by Weenie (new)

Weenie | 161 comments Just started The Snowman.

I've read two other Nesbo books, not in any particular order but it doesn't seem to cause any issues story-wise.

message 6907: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Maya (Mayaswords) D.G. ~Shameless Hussy~ wrote: "I finished my re-read in audio of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and it was just great (this is my favorite book by AC.)

Now I'm going back to Lirael."

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is one of my fave Christie books. How did you like it?

message 6908: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Maya (Mayaswords) Ellen wrote: "Marilyn wrote: "looks really good, going to reserve it thanks, what is the first of the trilogy"

I think the first is GARNETHILL and the third one is appropriately enough, RESOLUTION, but don't re..."

Hi Ellen,
I reserved Garnethill at the library. I also like good writing and good plotting. Have you read the Kellerman's Faye and Jonathon. They are some of my fave American mstery writers. But for art and plotting you can't beat Ruth Rendell and Frances Fyfield both Brits. Aloha

message 6909: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Maya (Mayaswords) Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Josh wrote: "Abide with Me by Elizabeth Strout 75% done.. It is amazing. Powerful. Real."

I totally agree it's a good book."

Sounds good Josh. I have so many books to read.(grinning)

message 6910: by Mike (new)

Mike Gabor (mikeyppl) Spilled Blood by Brian Freeman.

Spilled Blood by Brian Freeman

message 6911: by Beth (new)

Beth | 395 comments Valerie wrote: "I just started A Real Basket Case by Goodreads author Beth Groundwater. I'm about 1/3 of the way in...so far, so good!"

Thanks, Valerie! I hope you enjoy it and read the second book in the series, To Hell in a Handbasket, too! The third one, Basketful of Troubles, will be out in 2013.

Then there's my RM Outdoor Adventures series ... ;-)

message 6912: by Tay (last edited May 30, 2012 06:12AM) (new)

Tay | 249 comments I just finished Midnight Rambler by James Swain. All I can say is wow! I read another book out of order and it was great so I started this one which is the first in the series and love it. Jack Carpenter reminds me a lot of Harry Bosch the way he's does what it takes to bring justice to baddies. Not quite Jack Reacher level but it does make you root for Jack Carpenter. I'm picking up the second book in the series today.

message 6913: by fivesunflowers (new)

fivesunflowers | 57 comments Currently Reading: 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King, Carbs & Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1) by J.B. Stanley and A Drink Before the War (Kenzie & Gennaro, #1) by Dennis Lehane. Just finished: She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

message 6914: by Max F (new)

Max F | 365 comments Just finished reading American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History by Chris Kyle. Not the best-written book in the world, but wow - what a look at a world 99.999% of us never see. Regardless of your views on war and conflict, the Navy SEALs are a breed by themselves...dedicated, focused and extremely lethal.

message 6915: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Herbert (ellenkherbert) | 23 comments Has anyone read Tana French's latest, BROKEN HARBOR? Loved 2 out of her 3 earlier books. May download the first 3 chapters on my Kindle and check it out. Love that feature on Kindle.

message 6916: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7325 comments Ellen wrote: "Has anyone read Tana French's latest, BROKEN HARBOR? Loved 2 out of her 3 earlier books. May download the first 3 chapters on my Kindle and check it out. Love that feature on Kindle."

It doesn't come out in the States until July 24th.

message 6917: by Ken (new)

Ken Consaul | 209 comments fivesunflowers wrote: "Currently Reading: A Drink Before the War (Kenzie & Gennaro, #1) by Dennis Lehane. "

Second person in two days recommended Lehane. I have that one in my Alibris cart. Any others to recommend so I can get free shipping? Would prefer to read in order if they are good.

message 6918: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7325 comments Ken wrote: "fivesunflowers wrote: "Currently Reading: A Drink Before the War (Kenzie & Gennaro, #1) by Dennis Lehane. "

Second person in two days recommended Lehane. I have that one in my Alibris cart. Any others to recommend so I c..."

Try Mystic River and Shutter Island. They are stand alones.

message 6919: by fivesunflowers (new)

fivesunflowers | 57 comments Ken wrote: "fivesunflowers wrote: "Currently Reading: A Drink Before the War (Kenzie & Gennaro, #1) by Dennis Lehane. "

Second person in two days recommended Lehane. I have that one in my Alibris cart. Any others to recommend so I c..."

Ken, That book is our monthly read in this group, that is actually why I'm reading it - never read a Lehane book before and enjoying it so far!

message 6920: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 487 comments This morning I finished Abide with Me - Ian Ayris. Now I am going to see what the hype is about and read Fifty Shades of Grey - E.L. James

message 6921: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 2563 comments Mod
I'm currently about half way through The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad and also enjoying The Captive Witch by Dale Van Every.

message 6922: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Taylor (lynn7359) I just got done with Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson, #2) by Darynda Jones
Now starting Third Grave Dead Ahead (Charley Davidson #3) by Darynda Jones. May start Ruby Red (Edelstein Trilogie, #1) by Kerstin Gier

message 6923: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 667 comments Lynn wrote: "I just got done with Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson, #2) by Darynda Jones
Now starting Third Grave Dead Ahead (Charley Davidson #3) by Darynda Jones. "

I've enjoyed this series.

message 6924: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Reading The Empty Glass by J. I. Baker for review and am loving it!

message 6925: by Tay (new)

Tay | 249 comments Vicky wrote: "I just started reading The Black Ice. I am waiting for holds for A Duty To The Dead and Hot Blooded. I read one of the books in the New Orleans series by Lisa Jackson years ago. I for some reaso..."

How are you liking Black Ice?

message 6926: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Maya (Mayaswords) started "Sugar House"The Sugar House by Laura Lippman. I'ts really good. I got it for 50 cents at a Indpendent bookstore sale. I want to read all of Lippman now. Very good picture of Baltimore

message 6927: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 23277 comments Marilyn wrote: "started "Sugar House"The Sugar House by Laura Lippman. I'ts really good. I got it for 50 cents at a Indpendent bookstore sale. I want to read all of Lippman now. Very good picture of Baltimore"

I've really enjoyed her Baltimore writings. I lived there for a brief period.

message 6928: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Maya (Mayaswords) My best friend lives near Baltimore and also the bookseller told me Laura Lippman is very popular now. I am savoring this book.

message 6929: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Elsborg | 16 comments I just finished Snowdrops by AD Miller. Not the thriller I'd expected but it was good. I wanted to smack the main character upside the head on numerous occasions but the whole book was an allegory and very clever. The details about Russia and Moscow were great though I didn't know how much to believe. Probably more true than I wanted it to be.

message 6930: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (VeraJ121) | 129 comments I just finished Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, the last of the Hunger Game Trilogy. This book left me feeling sad and almost hopeless for the character. I was going to read Battle Royale right after Mockingjay. But I need to read something more upbeat. Cant do the doomsday feel right now.

Currently, I am reading A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane.

message 6931: by Steffi (new)

Steffi (Steffi_the_Bookworm) reading The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2) by Will Adams

message 6932: by Kim (last edited Jun 03, 2012 08:18PM) (new)

Kim Hathorn | 10 comments I'm currently listening to the audiobook version of The Fallen by Jassy Mackenzie, and am really enjoying it. Although the book takes place in mostly the Richards Bay area of eastern S. Africa and on a beach resort nearby, the references to life in Johannesburg are interesting. I also find the mystery surrounding Jade's mother fascinating. Jade is a fascinating character herself, and the fact that she seems not so cut-and-dried morally gives her added flavor as a P.I.

message 6933: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Maya (Mayaswords) I was born in NYC but have lived in Hawaii most of my life. I didn't even know there was a thick Baltimore accent. I want to hear it on the internet so I can be even more involved in this good mystery. I didn't know there was a series. Thank you Vicky. Aloha, ps my fave authors include the Kellermans. I love a psychological mystery.

message 6934: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Spaulding I am currently reading Stolen Away

message 6935: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Maya (Mayaswords) got Garnethill from the library and read the first page and had to put Sugar House aside for awhile. I am bewitched by this author already. How do others here manage 2 more more books at a time. ahhh.Garnethill

message 6936: by Weenie (new)

Weenie | 161 comments Just finished The Snowman by Jo Nesbø - thought it was brilliant.

message 6937: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett Just finished Nothing to Lose by Lee Child. Not his best.
Just started The Wreck of the Margherita by Bill Todd. Been looking forward to this for ages.

message 6938: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennalovesreading) I just finished the novel "Dark Magic" by James Swain and it was fantastic. It was a fast paced thriller that really kept me flipping the pages! The story is about a magician/psychic that sees crimes before they are about to happen. The main plot is about the main character having a vision of a terrorist attack on New York City. It's awesome, and you won't be disappointed!

message 6939: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 38 comments I started reading a book by F. G. Cottam-- The House Of Lost Souls and it scared me so much, I had to put it down (really!). I'll go back to it, but not on a rainy dark night when I started it--more on a bright summer's day. I thought it was fantastic--but I also thought I'd like to sleep, too :)
I just started Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch, and I am loving it. It's quite different from anything I've ever read--a probationary constable who can communicate with ghosts--so it's got a mix of police procedural, suspense, and ghosts. It's very witty and I think the voice of the protagonist, Peter Grant, is one that makes me laugh and root for him. I'm pleased that there is more of this series for me to read after I've finished this one. Really well done.

message 6940: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Maya (Mayaswords) Weenie wrote: "Just finished The Snowman by Jo Nesbø - thought it was brilliant."
Sounds scary

message 6941: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Reading Darkroom and Broken Harbour for review.

message 6942: by Joanne (new)

Joanne  (JoannePG) | 5 comments Just finished Milkshake by Matt Hammond. I enjoyed this New Zealand-set thriller, including some wonderful descriptions of the country. This is Matt Hammond's debut novel. Look forward to the next one.

message 6943: by Kim (last edited Jun 03, 2012 08:42PM) (new)

Kim Hathorn | 10 comments I'm about 100 pages into Kathy Reichs'Fatal Voyage and am really enjoying the forensic detail.

message 6945: by Judith (new)

Judith Starkston | 47 comments If you like mysteries set in the period of the lost generation, post WWI, when the world had to rebuild its sense of self (not unlike the mood today), Elizabeth Speller's books will interest you. She's especially good at rich character development as well as unconventional plots. Her second book with Laurence Bartram as a somewhat uncertain sleuth is called The Strange Fate of Kitty Easton. Here's my review.

message 6946: by Steffi (new)

Steffi (Steffi_the_Bookworm) started The Strain (The Strain Trilogy, #1) by Guillermo del Toro last night and loving it so far

message 6947: by Tay (new)

Tay | 249 comments Jenna wrote: "I just finished the novel "Dark Magic" by James Swain and it was fantastic. It was a fast paced thriller that really kept me flipping the pages! The story is about a magician/psychic that sees crim..."

Awesome to hear. I'm actually on the James Swain kick right now. I'm reading Night Stalker after having finish the brilliant Midnight Rambler.

message 6948: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennalovesreading) Marilyn wrote: "Weenie wrote: "Just finished The Snowman by Jo Nesbø - thought it was brilliant."
Sounds scary"

I just started reading this book and so far it has already caught my attention, thanks for giving me the courage to keep reading! I heard it's a really freaky novel and some of it is heart-renching, thanks so much for the recommendation :D

message 6949: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennalovesreading) Tay wrote: "Jenna wrote: "I just finished the novel "Dark Magic" by James Swain and it was fantastic. It was a fast paced thriller that really kept me flipping the pages! The story is about a magician/psychic ..."

To the man that replied to my post earlier about Dark Magic by James Swain, I'm about to start reading some of Swain's other novels. I can't decide on which one that I want to read next! Any recommendations? I would really appreciate it :D I love the way that Swain rights, it always keeps me captivated! Your recommendation is greatly appreciated! <3

message 6950: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Thanks to your review Jenna I have put Dark Magic on hold at my library. Have never read Swain before but now I am curious.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Death by Chocolate (other topics)
The Templar Legacy (other topics)
Bone by Bone (other topics)
A Secret Rage (other topics)
Bone by Bone (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Raymond Chandler (other topics)
Heather Graham (other topics)