The History Book Club discussion

THE FIRST WORLD WAR > CENTRAL POWERS

Comments (showing 1-47 of 47) (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jan 17, 2015 02:17PM) (new)

Bentley | 34799 comments Mod
This thread is dedicated to the discussion of the Central Powers of World War I.

The Central Powers included:

Germany · Austria–Hungary · Ottoman Empire · Bulgaria

This thread can discuss any aspect of the involvement of the Central powers in World War I.

This thread is a spot to discuss the following (people, locations, events, books and other publications, battles, historic sites, maps, research information, urls, etc.)

Please feel free to add any and all discussion information related to this topic area in this thread.

Source: Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_...

The First World War by John Keegan by John KeeganJohn Keegan

message 2: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) Here is a single volume account offering a concise overview of the Germany Army on the Western Front during WW1:

All the Kaiser's Men The Life & Death of the German Army on the Western Front 1914-1918 by Ian Passingham by Ian Passingham
Publishers blurb:
Convinced that both God and the Kaiser were on their side, the officers and men of the Imperial German Army went to war in 1914, supremely confident that they were destined for a swift and crushing victory in the West. The much-vaunted 'Schlieffen Plan' on which the anticipated German victory was based provided for an equally decisive victory on the Eastern Front. But it was not to be. From the winter of 1914 until the early months of 1918, the war on the Western Front was characterised by trench warfare. But the popular perception of the war takes little or no account of the reality of life 'across the wire' in the German front line. A re-examination of the strategy and tactics of the German Army throughout the war, from the commanding generals to the ordinary soldiers at the Front, this book also assesses the implications of the Allied naval blockade on the German home front, the increasing problems of food and fuel shortages and the spectres of nationwide disease, hunger and then widespread starvation in Germany. Ian Passingham gives a unique and fully illustrated insight into the daily life of the German troops facing the British and French between 1914 and 1918 and fills a significant gap in the historiography of the First World War.

message 3: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) Another concise book offering a look at the two most powerful leaders of the Central Powers is "The Warlords: Hindenburg and Ludendorff" by John Lee.

WARLORDS Hindenburg and Ludendorff (Great Commanders) by John Lee by John Lee
Publishers blurb:
Hindenburg and Ludendorff were two of the greatest generals of the First World War. At Tannenberg in 1914 their brilliance on the battlefield annihilated one Russian army completely, and drove a second from German territory in disarray. They repeated these feats time and again on the Eastern Front, and when Falkenhayn resigned as Chief of the Great General Staff in 1916 (partly through the pair's intriguing against him), Hindenburg was the natural choice to take over. Very soon they became two of the most powerful men in Germany. In a country where literally everything was geared towards helping the war effort, their influence reached into all parts of German life: not only the army but the economy, industry, the transport systems, and the production and distribution of food. Their power was such that they were able to force the resignation of three successive Chancellors and several government ministers. They meddled in foreign policy and affairs of state with such frequency that it was impossible for anyone of note to hold office without their approval. By the end of the First World War, Germany was effectively a military dictatorship. This is the inside story of the German war machine during the Great War. In his concise but incredibly comprehensive history of the war, John Lee shows how Hindenburg and Ludendorff rose to power, and how their iron grip on the nation very soon brought Germany to the brink of starvation, with riots and industrial strikes reaching epidemic proportions. He also shows how their Prussian values not only contributed to Germany's downfall, but paved the way for an even more devastating war 20 years later.

Reviews:
".... unpretentious... his narrative is clear and reliable, his maps are excellent... This is, in short, a good introduction to a huge and tragic subject by a very accomplished writer." - Spectator

"An incisive dual biography ... The Warlords is very readable and useful ... it is the best short book in English on German high command in World War One." - Gary Sheffield (MILITARY ILLUSTRATED)

message 4: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) Another book that may interest readers is Field Marshal Paul von Hindenburg's World War One memoirs; "The Great War".

The Great War by Paul Von Hindenberg by Paul Von Hindenberg
Publishers blurb:
Paul von Hindenburg, the son of Prussian aristocrats, was educated at the Wahlstatt and Berlin cadet schools, before joining the army in 1865. He fought in the Battle of Königgrätz and in the Franco-Prussian War, and was promoted to the rank of general. Von Hindenburg retired from the army in 1911, but returned to service at the outbreak of World War I. In August 1914, Von Hindenburg defeated the Russians at Tannenburg, overcoming a much larger enemy force. He was promoted to Commander-in-Chief of the German armies in the East, where he achieved a number of significant victories, most notably at the Battle of the Masurian Lakes. Much of this success has been put down to the brilliance of his chief-of-staff, Erich Ludendorff, who served as von Hindenburg's deputy throughout the war. These victories on the Eastern Front caused von Hindenburg to become a cult figure in Germany, where he was seen as the perfect embodiment of Germanic strength and moral decency. Wooden statues of von Hindenburg were built all over Germany, onto which people nailed money and cheques for war bonds. The Great War gives unparalleled insight into German military thinking during World War I, and offers the rare perspective of one of Germany's most senior military figures. This is the first edition of von Hindenburg's memoirs in more than fifty years.

About Field Marshal Paul von Hindenburg:
Field Marshal Paul von Hindenburg, the son of Prussian aristocrats, was educated at the Wahlstatt and Berlin cadet schools, before joining the army in 1865. He fought in the Battle of Königgrätz and in the Franco-Prussian War, and was promoted to the rank of General. Von Hindenburg retired from the army in 1911, but returned to service at the outbreak of the First World War.

message 5: by Geevee (new)

Geevee I recall borrowing from my library in the 1990s a book written (translated into English) by an officer of the Austro-Hungarian Navy, but I cannot remember its title or author.

Can anyone help?

message 6: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) Do you recall if he was in subs or surface ships at the time?

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) I am currently reading: Crowns in Conflict The Triumph of the Tragedy of European Monarchy, 1910-1918 by Theo Aronson by Theo Aronson(no photo). Although it discusses all the crowned heads of Europe, particular attention is paid to the monarchs of the Central Powers who lost their crowns as a result of WWI. I am about half-way through the book and have found it very well written and extremely interesting since it adds some information of which I had not been aware.

message 8: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

It looks good Jill.

message 9: by Geevee (new)

Geevee 'Aussie Rick' wrote: "Do you recall if he was in subs or surface ships at the time?"

Hi Aussie Rick - I think it was subs and with his home base being Pola I think. If there is anyone who can help me recall it I 'd bet on you :)

message 10: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) Hi Geevee, the only one that springs to mind straight away is this book:

To the Last Salute Memories of an Austrian U-Boat Commander by Georg von Trapp by Georg von Trapp
Description:
Captain von Trapp's narrative of his wartime U-boat exploits has lurked in German and French for generations and now finds an adequate translator into English in one of his granddaughters. He almost certainly always tried to put his best foot forward, and he emerges from his account as a man of great skill, considerable compassion (even for his victims), and sufficient tact and tolerance to handle the kind of polyglot crews that sailed for the Dual Monarchy. In two submarines, the antique U-5 and the French prize, U-14, he became the highest scoring Austro-Hungarian submariner, despite equipment that was sometimes more dangerous to him and his men than to the enemy. He fought on to the end, knowing that the Dual Monarchy he served so well was crumbling. In the end, he gave the last salute of the title when the imperial flag was hauled down for the last time. Appealing to von Trapp family admirers, of course, and also to naval buffs, regardless of how they respond to music.

Reviews:
"[A] lively, amusing, at-times-gripping memoir of naval warfare in the Mediterranean, and U-boat life. . . . One of its fascinating aspects is the glimpse it offers into the multiethnic makeup of this imperial navy, and the admirable attitudes and behavior of a patriotic officer on the losing side of a great conflict." - The Atlantic

"In his personal account, translated by his granddaughter Elizabeth Campbell, von Trapp captures the feeling of a bygone era where chivalry and love of country were paramount. . . . His amazing exploits in the Great War and life-and-death experiences as a commander of various U-boats will enthrall readers." - Military Heritage

"[von Trapp] almost certainly always tried to put his best foot forward, and he emerges from his account as a man of great skill, considerable compassion . . . and sufficient tact and tolerance to handle the kind of polyglot crews that sailed for the Dual Monarchy. [H]e became the highest scoring Austro-Hungarian submariner, despite equipment that was sometimes more dangerous to him and his men than to the enemy. He fought on to the end, knowing that the Dual Monarchy he served so well was crumbling." - Booklist

"Interesting and informative, the text is a rare history of an Austro-Hungarian involved in War. . . . [To the Last Salute] is highly recommended to those interested in the von Trapp family, the musical The Sound of Music, World War I from an Austro-Hungarian view, and U-boats." - Curled Up With a Good Book

"To the Last Salute is a professional account of submarine operations during World War I by one of the ace skippers of the k-u-k Navy. . . . This work provides an often gripping tale of some long forgotten but interesting naval actions during the Great War." — NYMAS Review

message 11: by Geevee (new)

Geevee Thanks Aussie Rick I appreciate your detective work - Funny I thought it could be...but what stopped me was that I don't recall the connection with the book I read to the Sound of Music family. It was at this point I thought I'd ask on Goodreads. I shall have to find a copy and read (or re-read).

message 12: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) My pleasure, you reminded me that I have to read my copy soon as well!

message 13: by Bryan, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS (new)

Bryan Craig | 11672 comments Mod
This is a good book:

The German High Command at War Hindenburg and Ludendorff Conduct World War I by Robert B AspreyRobert B. Asprey

Amazon review:
Former U.S. Marine captain and accomplished military historian Robert Asprey tells the story of the First World War from the point of view of the German general staff in The German High Command at War. Focusing on the celebrated partnership between general Erich Ludendorff and field marshal Paul von Hindenburg, Asprey recounts the duo's career from their early triumphs over the Russians at Tannenberg to the defeat of their military dictatorship in 1918.

Responding to historians who tend to lionize Hindenburg and Ludendorff, this book argues that their exemplary reputations were the result of a self-serving public-relations campaign during and after the war. Through Asprey's capable analysis, Ludendorff emerges as a fat, ruthless martinet, while Hindenburg looms as a passive, scheming narcissist. Their successes on the eastern front are portrayed as lucky breaks, the result of intercepted Russian radio transmissions. However, there were no respites on the western front, and Asprey explains how the generals' desperation, arrogance, and lack of strategic insight ultimately exhausted the German empire. Readers will find a comprehensive and lively treatment of Hindenburg and Ludendorff's military decisions and political intrigues, but this book is more than a history. Asprey's trenchant exploration of the dynamics of power and personality make The German High Command at War a warning for what can happen if militaristic imperatives dominate a government's capacity for principled leadership. --James Highfill

message 14: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) Great post Bryan, I'm sure many readers will appreciate the information on this book.

message 15: by Bryan, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS (new)

The First World War: Germany and Austria-Hungary 1914-1918

The First World War Germany and Austria-Hungary 1914-1918 by Holger H. HerwigHolger H. Herwig

Synopsis

This book draws on ten years of archival research to provide the first comprehensive treatment in English of how Germany and Austria-Hungary conducted World War I and what defeat meant to them.

message 16: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) This book verges on revisionist history as it tells the story of how Germany took advantage of the "weak man of Europe", the Ottoman Empire, to embroil the Middle East in WWI.

The Berlin-Baghdad Express

The Berlin-Baghdad Express The Ottoman Empire and Germany's Bid for World Power by Sean McMeekin by Sean McMeekin

Synopsis
The modern Middle East was forged in the crucible of the First World War, but few know the full story of how war actually came to the region. As Sean McMeekin reveals in this startling reinterpretation of the war, it was neither the British nor the French but rather a small clique of Germans and Turks who thrust the Islamic world into the conflict for their own political, economic, and military ends.

"The Berlin-Baghdad Express" tells the fascinating story of how Germany exploited Ottoman pan-Islamism in order to destroy the British Empire, then the largest Islamic power in the world. Meanwhile the Young Turks harnessed themselves to German military might to avenge Turkey's hereditary enemy, Russia. Told from the perspective of the key decision-makers on the Turco-German side, many of the most consequential events of World War I--Turkey's entry into the war, Gallipoli, the Armenian massacres, the Arab revolt, and the Russian Revolution--are illuminated as never before.

Drawing on a wealth of new sources, McMeekin forces us to re-examine Western interference in the Middle East and its lamentable results. It is an epic tragicomedy of unintended consequences, as Turkish nationalists give Russia the war it desperately wants, jihad begets an Islamic insurrection in Mecca, German sabotage plots upend the Tsar delivering Turkey from Russia's yoke, and German Zionism midwifes the Balfour Declaration. All along, the story is interwoven with the drama surrounding German efforts to complete the Berlin to Baghdad railway, the weapon designed to win the war and assure German hegemony over the Middle East.

message 17: by Bryan, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS (new)

Thanks, Jill.

message 18: by Jill (last edited Aug 26, 2013 10:49AM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) I must admit that I did not know that Austria-Hungary had an effective navy but this book fills in all the details that indicate that they held their own until Italy joined the Allies. The A-H navy retreated to Pola and held the Allies in check until the Armistice. Interesting history.

The Central Powers in the Adriatic, 1914-1918: War in a Narrow Sea

The Central Powers in the Adriatic, 1914-1918 War in a Narrow Sea by Charles W. Koburger Jr. by Charles W. Koburger Jr.

Synopsis

The naval side of the First World War in the Adriatic provides a classic case study in narrow sea warfare. This is the story of the Austro-Hungarian KuK Navy's contribution to the Central Powers' considerable effort in the region. This finely balanced, well-handled navy successfully helped to defend Austria's Adriatic base of power--the Pola-Trieste-Fiume triangle--in the north, to protect the vital sea lane to Cattaro and the south, and to support the army from the sea--all against major odds. Its forces also contributed significantly to the U-boat war.

During initial stages of the conflict, the French were the enemy at sea. Later, Italy switched allegiances, joining the Entente against her former allies. Because the KuK Kriegsmarine was no match for the Italians and the French combined, the battle fleet was thereafter kept in being at Pola, holding the Allies in check. Nonetheless, the Adriatic became an Austrian lake. Using aircraft, U-boats, torpedoes, and mines, the KuK worked toward reducing the odds against it. However, the impasse would continue until the armistice, ruling out a Mahanian showdown in the Adriatic. Koburger provides important geostrategic points of comparison and valuable lessons for other conflicts, even today

message 19: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) The tragic story of the King of Bulgaria after the end of WWI. He is one of the few monarchs of the Central Powers who did not lose a throne after peace was declared.

Crown of Thorns:The Reign of King Boris III of Bulgaria

Crown of Thorns The Reign of King Boris III of Bulgaria, 1918-1943 by Stephane Groueff by Stephane Groueff (no photo)

Synopsis

A fascinating biography of Bulgaria's tragic monarch, Boris III, based on private correspondence and extensive interviews with members of the Bulgarian royal family. The son of King Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. Boris became King after the first World War. Noted for defying Hitler's wishes for Bulgaria's Jews, the popular King died mysteriously in 1943 after a stormy meeting with Hitler.

message 20: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 2 comments Just wondering, is there a HF about the Red Baron?

message 21: by Jill (last edited Oct 14, 2013 03:29PM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) I found lots of history/biography about Baron von Richtofen (the Red Baron) but could not locate any historical fiction. There may be something out there that someone else knows about. His life almost mirrored fiction so you might be interested in reading something biographical........a very interesting man indeed.

message 22: by Bryan, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS (new)

A remember the Red Baron is a character in Sharaa's book. I read it and I liked the book:

To the Last Man: A Novel of the First World War
Note: Historical Fiction

To the Last Man A Novel of the First World War by Jeff Shaara by Jeff ShaaraJeff Shaara

Synopsis:

Spring 1916: the horror of a stalemate on Europe’s western front. France and Great Britain are on one side of the barbed wire, a fierce German army is on the other. Shaara opens the window onto the otherworldly tableau of trench warfare as seen through the eyes of a typical British soldier who experiences the bizarre and the horrible–a “Tommy” whose innocent youth is cast into the hell of a terrifying war.

In the skies, meanwhile, technology has provided a devastating new tool, the aeroplane, and with it a different kind of hero emerges–the flying ace. Soaring high above the chaos on the ground, these solitary knights duel in the splendor and terror of the skies, their courage and steel tested with every flight.

As the conflict stretches into its third year, a neutral America is goaded into war, its reluctant president, Woodrow Wilson, finally accepting the repeated challenges to his stance of nonalignment. Yet the Americans are woefully unprepared and ill equipped to enter a war that has become worldwide in scope. The responsibility is placed on the shoulders of General John “Blackjack” Pershing, and by mid-1917 the first wave of the American Expeditionary Force arrives in Europe. Encouraged by the bold spirit and strength of the untested Americans, the world waits to see if the tide of war can finally be turned.

From Blackjack Pershing to the Marine in the trenches, from the Red Baron to the American pilots of the Lafayette Escadrille, To the Last Man is written with the moving vividness and accuracy that characterizes all of Shaara’s work. This spellbinding new novel carries readers–the way only Shaara can–to the heart of one of the greatest conflicts in human history, and puts them face-to-face with the characters who made a lasting impact on the world.

message 23: by Jerome (new)

Jerome | 3800 comments The Ottoman Road to War in 1914: The Ottoman Empire and the First World War

The Ottoman Road to War in 1914 The Ottoman Empire and the First World War by Mustafa Aksakal by Mustafa Aksakal (no photo)

Synopsis:

Why did the Ottoman Empire enter the First World War in late October 1914, months after the war's devastations had become clear? Were its leaders 'simple-minded,' 'below-average' individuals, as the doyen of Turkish diplomatic history has argued? Or, as others have claimed, did the Ottomans enter the war because War Minister Enver Pasha, dictating Ottoman decisions, was in thrall to the Germans and to his own expansionist dreams? Based on previously untapped Ottoman and European sources, Mustafa Aksakal's dramatic study challenges this consensus. It demonstrates that responsibility went far beyond Enver, that the road to war was paved by the demands of a politically interested public, and that the Ottoman leadership sought the German alliance as the only way out of a web of international threats and domestic insecurities, opting for an escape whose catastrophic consequences for the empire and seismic impact on the Middle East are felt even today.

message 24: by Jerome (new)

Jerome | 3800 comments Ordered to Die: A History of the Ottoman Army in the First World War

Ordered to Die A History of the Ottoman Army in the First World War by Edward J. Erickson by Edward J. Erickson (no photo)

Synopsis:

The first general history in English of the Ottoman Army in the First World War, Ordered to Die is based on newly available Turkish archival and official sources. Outnumbered and outgunned, the Ottoman Army performed astonishingly well in the field and managed to keep fighting until the end of the war, long after many other armies had quit the field. It fought a multi-front war against sophisticated and capable enemies, including Great Britain, France, and Russia. Erickson challenges conventional thinking about Ottoman war aims, Ottoman military effectiveness, and the influence of German assistance.

Written at the strategic and operational levels, this study frames the Turkish military contributions in a unitary manner by establishing linkages between campaigns and theaters. It also contains the first detailed discussion of Ottoman operations in Galicia, Romania, and Macedonia. Erickson provides a wealth of information on Ottoman Army organization, deployments, strategy, and staff procedures. He examines with particular attention the army's role in the Armenian deportations and the intelligence available to the Turks in 1914 and 1915. Appendixes include biographies of important commanders, the efforts of the Ottoman Air Force, Ottoman casualties, as well as a wartime chronology.

message 25: by Jerome (last edited Jan 06, 2014 05:50PM) (new)

Jerome | 3800 comments An upcoming book:
Release date: April 29, 2014

A Mad Catastrophe: The Outbreak of World War I and the Collapse of the Habsburg Empire

A Mad Catastrophe The Outbreak of World War I and the Collapse of the Habsburg Empire by Geoffrey Wawro by Geoffrey WawroGeoffrey Wawro

Synopsis:

The Austro-Hungarian army that marched eastward in the opening campaign of World War I was as disordered a force as the world had ever seen. Speaking a mystifying array of languages and carrying outdated weapons, the troops were hopelessly unprepared for the mechanized warfare that would soon consume the entire continent.

As prizewinning historian Geoffrey Wawro explains, the disorganization of these doomed conscripts perfectly mirrored Austra-Hungary itself. For years, the Dual Monarchy had been rotting from within, hollowed out by complacency and corruption at the highest levels. Germany goaded Austria into a longed-for fight with Russia and her allies before the monarchy collapsed completely, but the severity of the fighting was too much for the weakened Empire. By the time 1914 ended, the Habsburg army lay in ruins, and the course of the war seemed all but decided.

Reconstructing the climax of the Austrian campaign in gripping detail, Wawro offers a riveting account of how Austria-Hungary plunged the West into a tragic and unnecessary war.

message 26: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) Sounds like something for my TBR list. The AH army was probably more a hindrance than a help to the Germans and I have always been surprised that the Empire held together as long as it did. Thanks for the recommendation,Jerome.

message 27: by Jerome (new)

Jerome | 3800 comments Victory Must Be Ours: Germany in the Great War, 1914-1918

Victory Must Be Ours Germany in the Great War, 1914-1918 by Laurence Moyer by Laurence Moyer (no photo)

Synopsis:

This unusual and incisive account chronicles Germany in World War I from the viewpoint of soldiers who fought the battles and civilians who endured the ever-increasing trauma of escalating casualties, widespread shortages, and declining conditions of living. It relates how Germany attempted to cope with a massive blockade, the scope of which had not been seen since the days of Napoleon, thus forcing German authorities to adopt a series of sometimes innovative, sometimes brutal measures, all of which rested on the underlying premise that victory, a clear-cut victory, could be the only acceptable option. Victory Must Be Ours explores the Germany which in 1914 took a precipitous leap into darkness. It explores the ingredients which made the Great War perhaps the single most fateful event of the Twentieth Century, setting in motion the most bloody conflict of all time, World War II.

message 28: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) The decline of Austria-Hungary as WWI began until the Empire's destruction by the loss of that war.

The Eagles Die Franz Joseph, Elisabeth and Their Austria by George R. Marek by George R. Marek (no photo

Synopsis:

Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria ruled the Austro-Hungarian Empire for 68 years, succumbing at last at age 86, 2 years after the start of WWI. When Franz Joseph succeeded to its command, the Habsburg holdings included Milan & Venice, Prague & Cracow, as well as Vienna & Budapest. Within two years of his death, the empire had been reduced to the small country, centered on Vienna, that it essentially is today. The Eagles Die is the story of that Habsburg sunset and of the golden light that Viennese culture shed in the waning days of empire.

message 29: by Jerome (new)

Release date: October 7, 2014

Ring of Steel: Germany and Austria-Hungary in World War I

Ring of Steel Germany and Austria-Hungary in World War I by Alexander Watson by Alexander Watson (no photo)

Synopsis:

In Ring of Steel, award-winning historian Alexander Watson draws on extensive archival research to explain the First World War from the perspectives of the nations that started, and lost, the war: Germany and Austria-Hungary.

Convinced by their governments that they were entering a necessary and defensive war, the people of the Central Powers fully committed to the cause. But as the Central Powers expanded their ambitions, military losses mounted, and hunger and hardship beset the homefront, doubts set in. Plunging morale sapped the Central Powers’ war effort, as political leaders lost the support of the populations they relied on to prosecute and support the protracted conflict. When the war ended, the shattered states that remained were marked by an unbridgeable division between the people and their leaders, a poisonous situation that would eventually lead to another, even more cataclysmic war.

A major re-evaluation of a misunderstood war, Ring of Steel is essential reading for anyone seeking to understand the last century of European history.

message 30: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) Looks like a good one, Jerome.

message 31: by Jerome (new)

Jerome | 3800 comments Eagles on the Crescent: Germany, Austria, and the Diplomacy of the Turkish Alliance, 1914-1918

Eagles on the Crescent Germany, Austria, and the Diplomacy of the Turkish Alliance, 1914-1918 by Frank G. Weber by Frank G. Weber (no photo)

Synopsis:

Turkey entered WW1 on the side of the Central Powers. This has long been considered to be the outcome of German diplomatic maneuvering.

message 32: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) A history of the developments and battles taking place in Russia in each year of the Great War.

The Central Powers on the Russian Front

The Central Powers on the Russian Front 1914-1918 by David Bilton by David Bilton (no photo)

Synopsis:

Arranged in five sections, one for each year of the War, this superbly illustrated book covers the fluid fighting that took place on the Russian Front from August 1914. Each year saw dramatic developments: 1914 Poland, Tannenberg, the Carpathian passes1915 actions in Galicia, the Baltic1916 the Brinsilov offensive1917 the collapse of the German army and1918 the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk and continued fighting along the Baltic and in the Ukraine.Its emphasis on the German point-of-view and operations on many fronts makes it especially valuable to the many who seek greater insight into the actions of our enemy

message 33: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) One of the most controversial battles of WWI. It contributed to the overthrow of the Russian Tsar who bungled this episode badly and had his army slaughtered by the Germans.

Tannenberg 1914

Tannenberg 1914 by John Sweetman by John Sweetman(no photo)

Synopsis:

Did Russia's sacrifice save Britain and France from defeat in 1914? Step back into the combat zone of World War One to watch a crucial moment in the struggle. Amazing visuals--color illustrations; contemporary photographs of the faces, weapons, and landscapes of war; and specially commissioned diagrams and cutting-edge computer cartography--will transport you there, bringing added dimension to the battlefield. In 1914, Russia's doomed Tsar, Nicholas II ordered his armies to invade German territory. They moved faster than expected, and panic stories of Cossacks running amok in Prussia led the German High Command to call back troops from France. However, the two Russian generals leading the attack hated each other and refused to communicate--ultimately helping the Germans annihilate them, but saving the rest of Europe at their own expense.

message 34: by Jerome (new)

Jerome | 3800 comments Imperial Germany and the Great War, 1914-1918

Imperial Germany and the Great War, 1914-1918 by Roger Chickering by Roger Chickering (no photo)

Synopsis:

Unlike other existing surveys, this book explores the comprehensive impact of the First World War on Imperial Germany by offering a rich portrait of life on the home front: the pervasive effects of 'total war' on wealthy and poor, men and women, young and old, farmers and city-dwellers, Protestants, Catholics, and Jews. Now appearing in a second edition, this accessible book reflects important new scholarship in the field and boasts an expanded and revised bibliography. It is essential reading for all students of German and European history, war and society.

message 35: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Thank you Jerome for starting to focus on the Military Threads.

message 36: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) An inside look at the German government during the rule of Kaiser Wilhelm II.

The Kaiser and His Court: Wilhelm II and the Government of Germany

The Kaiser and His Court Wilhelm II and the Government of Germany by John C.G. Röhlby John C.G. Röhl(no photo)

Synopsis:

Within a couple of decades Kaiser Wilhelm II had led the German Reich into World War and collapse. How did the Kaiser come to have so much power? Using new archival sources, this book analyzes the Kaiser and the nature of his rule. After an original character sketch of the Kaiser, the book then examines the Kaiser's friends and favorites, the neo-absolutist culture of the court and of Berlin society, and the nature of his relationship with the court and with the administrative corps in Prussia and the Reich. A final chapter reveals for the first time the extent of the exiled Kaiser's anti-Semitism.

message 37: by Dimitri (new)

Dimitri | 413 comments Jerome wrote: "Imperial Germany and the Great War, 1914-1918

Imperial Germany and the Great War, 1914-1918 by Roger Chickering by Roger Chickering (no photo)

Synopsis:

Unlike other existing surv..."

third edition avaliable since 2014

message 38: by Dimitri (last edited Aug 28, 2015 03:44AM) (new)

Dimitri | 413 comments Jill wrote: "Looks like a good one, Jerome."

Ring Of Steel Germany and Austria-Hungary in World War I by Alexander Watsonby Alexander Watson (no photo)
Fully recommended. One of the best overviews of the Central Powers war effort & homefront experience, together with the second edition of Holger H. Herwig, and might I add: two of the best books of the centennial publishing flood.

Also, as mentioned in the topic on the Ottoman Empire:

The Fall of the Ottomans The Great War in the Middle East 1914-1920 by Eugene Rogan by Eugene RoganEugene Rogan

message 39: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) Thanks, Dimitri. BTW, in your citation, put the author's photo first, followed by the link.

message 40: by Jerome (last edited Aug 28, 2015 05:44AM) (new)

Release date: October 13, 2015

The Kaiser's Army: The German Army in World War One

The Kaiser's Army The German Army in World War One by David Stone by David Stone (no photo)

Synopsis:

In this comprehensive book, David Stone describes and analyzes every aspect of the German Army as it existed under Kaiser Wilhelm II, encompassing its development and antecedents, organization, personnel, weapons and equipment, inherent strengths and weaknesses, and victories and defeats as it fought on many fronts throughout World War I.

The book deals in considerable detail with the origins and creation of the German army, examining the structure of power in German politics and wider society and the nation's imperial ambitions, along with the ways in which the high command and general staff functioned in terms of strategy and tactical doctrine. Stone examines the nature, background, recruitment, training, and military experiences of the officers, NCOs, and soldiers, as well as personal and collective values relating to honor, loyalty, and conscience.

In addition the army's operations. Stone gives context with an overview of the army at war, covering the key actions and outcomes of major campaigns from 1914 to 1918 up to the signature of the Armistice at Compiègne. For anyone seeking a definitive reference on the German Army of the period--whether scholar, historian, serving soldier or simply a general reader--this remarkable book will prove an invaluable work.

message 41: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Jerome, your citation is incorrect (no photo) at the end is missing.

But thank you for the add.

message 42: by Dimitri (last edited Aug 28, 2015 03:43AM) (new)

Dimitri | 413 comments Bentley wrote: "Jerome, your citation is incorrect (no photo) at the end is missing.

But thank you for the add."

Oktober is Amazon.com's release date : it is already avaliable in this exact edition at shops that acquire a stock directly from the publisher (Conway). My copy comes from "the International Magazine Store" in Leuven, which naturally imports massively from both UK/USA.

I don't know why GR insists it was published first in july '14 since the publisher went belly-up prematurely...anyway, that unfortunate story is featured in the acknowlegements of the book.

message 43: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Thank you Dimitri for the additional information.

message 44: by Jerome (new)

Jerome | 3800 comments The Troubled Alliance: German-Austrian Relations, 1914--1917

The Troubled Alliance German-Austrian Relations, 1914--1917 by Gerard E. Silberstein by Gerard E. Silberstein (no photo)

Synopsis:

On August 1, 1914, the German and Austro-Hungarian empires stood on the brink of the greatest war history had known. Their great need was for alliances that would provide manpower and defense of their borders. In only one direction could these be sought -- the Balkan Peninsula. Yet disagreements between foreign officers and high commands increased the difficulty of establishing such alliances. Austrian caution continually clashed with German persistence, for the expansionist drives of the Balkan powers threatened the monarchy's own ambitions.

The differences between the two allies were smoothed over in the case of Turkey and Bulgaria, but the ultimate diplomatic failure in Rumania produced much rancor.The author's examination of little known documents in the German and Austrian archives brings to light details of an often tortured relationship. The personalities of those who shaped the course of the war and the playing off of power against power are here clearly revealed.

message 45: by Jerome (last edited Aug 21, 2016 07:53PM) (new)

Release date: November 22, 2016

Instrument of War: The German Army 1914-18

Instrument of War The German Army 1914–18 by Dennis E. Showalter by Dennis Showalter (no photo)

Synopsis:

Drawing on more than a half-century of research and teaching, Dennis Showalter presents a fresh perspective on the German Army during World War I. Showalter surveys an army at the heart of a national identity, driven by--yet also defeated by--warfare in the modern age, that struggled to capitalize on its victories, and ultimately forgot the lessons of its defeat.

Exploring the internal dynamics of the German Army, detailing how the soldiers coped with the many new forms of warfare, Showalter shows how the army's institutions responded--or did not--and how Germany itself was changed by war. He goes on to detail the major campaigns on the Western and Eastern Fronts and the forgotten war fought in the Middle East and Africa, revealing operational strategy, the complexities of campaigns of movement versus static trench warfare, and the changes in warfare.

message 46: by Jerome (new)

Jerome | 3800 comments Another:
Release date: March 24, 2016

The First World War and German National Identity: The Dual Alliance at War

The First World War and German National Identity The Dual Alliance at War by Jan Vermeiren by Jan Vermeiren (no photo)

Synopsis:

An innovative study of the coalition between Imperial Germany and Austria-Hungary during the First World War. Jan Vermeiren pays particular attention to the cultural and social dimension of the special relationship between Berlin and Vienna and investigates the impact of the wartime alliance on German national identity. Focusing on the attitudes taken by governmental circles, politically active groups, and the broader public towards their 'fellow' Germans in the Habsburg Monarchy, Vermeiren provides a reassessment of German war ideology and nationalism and also presents many new insights into German-Slav and German-Hungarian relations in the period. Based on an impressive array of primary sources, the book is a valuable addition to the field of international history and will appeal to scholars of German and Central European history, historians of the First World War, and readers with an interest in the complex relationship between war and society.

message 47: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) I just realized that the Entente Powers were 15 in number (and that is not counting the countries which were part of Empire) and the Central Powers had four (not counting Empire countries). Seems a bit lopsided until you look at the make-up of the countries involved, the size of their armies and their active participation. Interesting.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The First World War (other topics)
All the Kaiser's Men: The Life and Death of the German Army on the Western Front 1914-1918 (other topics)
Warlords: Hindenburg and Ludendorff (other topics)
The Great War (other topics)
Crowns in Conflict: The Triumph and the Tragedy of European Monarchy, 1910-1918 (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

John Keegan (other topics)
Ian Passingham (other topics)
John Lee (other topics)
Paul Von Hindenberg (other topics)
Theo Aronson (other topics)
More...