The Dirty Girls Social Club (Dirty Girls, #1) The Dirty Girls Social Club discussion

Las Sucias Regresan

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Zulmara Las Sucias Regresan

The sequel to DGSC will be coming out on July 8, and for those of us who read and fell in love with the 6 sucias, here is a chance to discuss the first book as we get ready to find out what has happened to our beloved sucias...I will be posting questions and quotes and reflections for all of you who need a "remembering" of who our girls were and why we loved them so much.

ADELANTE!!!

First Question

Where was I when I first read about the sucias?

message 2: by Eboni (new)

Eboni Although I don't remember where I was, I do recall relating to each of the girls in some way and realizing how important it is to have really good girlfriends.

Zulmara I first met the Sucias...

I was first introduced to the Sucias in 2003 on a trip to Mexico City. I needed a book to read on the plane and I was looking for a ‘tina writer. I had already read all of Esmeralda Santiago, Sandra Cisneros, and Julia Alvarez, so I was looking for a new voice and a friend introduced me to Alisa Valdes Rodriguez and said, “You will love this book.” I was not a chic lit sort of reader, so I had my doubts…but then again, a plane read should be fun, sassy, and enjoyable. So, I got the book and I loved it…I read it all the way through…I think the flight was 3.5 to 4 hours and when I got to the Mexico City, I made my friend wait in the hotel…just 20 more minutes so I could finish the book…lol…

Needless to say, I was hooked on the Sucias and have read every other book from Alisa since and can’t wait to see what the sucias are up to next…

So, when were you first introduced to the sucias?

Zulmara As I reread the lives of the sucias, I am struck by the wonderful writing style that Alisa uses. I love the fact that we get to know each of our characters as they know themselves and how they see each other. What appears to be security and being together in one, is, in reality, a hidden bravado. What appears to be in control to others, is a thin veneer about to break. After reading the first chapter from Lauren’s point of view, who is your favorite character and why? Which character are you most suspicious of…that what appears to be “in control” is, in reality, something else?

Who are we really? The mask we hide behind or the face we hide?

message 5: by Kris (new) - added it

Kris Seeing this makes me want to reread this book. I remember enjoying it. Thanks.

Mike Gandy Hi ladies,

I'm the fiance of author Alisa Valdes. I saw this discussion and thought it was really neat what you're doing here; I really appreciate. Alisa has been trying to turn the book into a movie for the past 10 years, and it has been optioned by several Hollywood players, but everybody in the industry wants to take it and make the characters more "believable" with all the stereotypes. Alisa has refused to let that happen, and now I've convinced her that we need to do this on our own. So we are. With the help of real people like yourself.

I'm coming to you ladies personally to ask a favor of you. I was wondering if you would be willing to pledge a couple bucks towards our Kickstarter campaign and spread the word to your friends and family? There are perks for pledges over $5, but every $1 counts. Don't worry about it if you can't do it or simply don't want to. Just thought I'd ask. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to contact me directly at any time. Have a wonderful rest of the week. :)

You can learn more and see our videos about the project at http://www.veefilms.com.

Here is the link to the campaign: http://ow.ly/1XeMJr

Best,
Mike Gandy
info@veefilms.com

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Dirty Girls Social Club (other topics)