What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

Just to Chat > who wants to do my homework??

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

karen (karenbrissette) | 56 comments so here's the thing - i am doing a readers' advisory class, and i am supposed to be using online resources to come up with suitable read-alikes for the god of animals by Aryn Kyle. Since i have to use 5 online resources, I would love to use goodreads.com as one of them, to contrast a human-based recommendation with an algorithm-based recommendation. anyone game?? i know tons of you are librarians already, so I am basically asking, "here, carpenter, build another wall for me. for free. in your off-time.", but maybe it will be fun. and you will get your NAME in a grad school paper!! fame and glory, my dears... all i need from you is one or two recommendations, with a little sentence or two about why it would be a good read-alike for a patron. then i will write about how this experience contrasted with the experience of using a more traditional readers' advisory tool like novelist. let's see what happens.

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1379 comments Karen,

I don't know that this post is really appropriate for this group, but I did move it to the just to chat thread for you. It does not belong in UNSOLVED. That's for members looking for specific books.

karen (karenbrissette) | 56 comments is there a more appropriate readers' advisory group that i don't know about?? i have seen this group being used to recommend books before, but if there is a better place for it, i am really interested in comparing the two methods.

Jeannette (Jvmimo) The goal of this group is to help people find a book that they have read, but can't remember the title of. For example, I was looking for a book about a man who had a heart attack in Toronto, etc. After I post all I can remember, people try to guess the book, based on my description. The SOLVED threads are successful "finds;" the UNSOLVED are still looking.

You might look for a group that fits the genre of the book you mentioned. I don't know much about it. Maybe a YA group would be appropriate?

karen (karenbrissette) | 56 comments no, i am familiar with the purpose of the group; i have been a member of it for a while. during that time, i have seen people occasionally use it for tangentially-related business, like for book recommendations, etc. i also know that a number of members of the group are booksellers like me, or librarians - people who do this sort of RA work all day long. i thought it was perfectly appropriate to post here in order to contact a number of people to take part in a project of this nature. i can use the lists, i just thought having an actual human element would make for an interesting twist. sorry to disturb the purity.

Jeannette (Jvmimo) I'm sorry. I'm new to the group; I'm not a moderator. I was only trying to help you by suggesting other ways to search for the help you need.

karen (karenbrissette) | 56 comments haahah no that's cool - it's hard to gauge tone on the internet. i thought it would be fun for people, but maybe i was wrong. shrug. i think it's fun, but i'm a nerd.

Jeannette (Jvmimo) Oh, I think they moved your post to "Just to Chat" so you can still ask for suggestions, even if what you need isn't the title to a "lost" book. Maybe change the thread caption to "Help me Find read-alikes for 'god of the animals'" or something like that. Then the help you need might find you. There are certainly plenty of people on GR wanting to give out book recommendations. That's why I suggested posting on other, more genre specific groups, too.

It's an interesting idea to poll a large group for a specific suggestion. I'm sure the people you are looking for are out here somewhere. :)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1379 comments Yes, I moved it to the chat folder. If members want to help/participate, feel free. If not, as with some other threads, it will fade away. The topic title is okay, in my opinion.

unread topics | mark unread