The Life of a Book Addict discussion

The Outlander Series > April 2010 Outlander Side Read

Comments (showing 1-50 of 82) (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4467 comments ***NON SPOILERS ONLY PLEASE***

Hi Everyone!

There seems quite a large subgroup who would like to read Outlander in April.

Please throw your name in the hat if you will be joining us here.

We can reuse the Outlander Spoiler thread as we finishe the book.

We are going to have a lot of fun reading this month. I am about 1/2 way through the book already. It is long and my print is small, but I'm still reading at a good pace due to the story.

On your mark, get set, GO!

message 2: by DJ (new)

DJ  (DJDivaofJava) | 2985 comments Hi Jill,
I might be a bit late joining the discussion as Husband has ordered it for me ad a Easter Gift.....
But I will be joining.
Better late than never...
He told me he would do this at Christmas so I cannot fault his memory!

message 3: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 276 comments Um....ABSOLUTELY!

message 4: by Harper (last edited Mar 30, 2010 04:43PM) (new)

Harper (harperbell) I'll also be reading it in April for a challenge the RRRC group. I'll be starting with "Outlander" in April and hopefully read one book a month until I finish with "An Echo in the Bone" in October. If anyone else is interested in reading all of the books currently in the series, you can join our discussion there, too!

message 5: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 184 comments I just finished Outlander today and accidentally bumped into this thread, it must be fate! I can't wait to continue on in this series I don't know if I can stay constant as the shinning stars, since I try to fit in other group reads along side it but I want to head right back into the next in the series I loved the characters and history so much

message 6: by Jenni (new)

Jenni (NekoKitty) | 168 comments I just finished Outlander last week, and am about 1/4 of the way through Dragonfly in Amber. I'm looking forward to keeping up with this thread! :)

message 7: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 184 comments I'm waiting Dragonfly to come in the mail I wasn't prepared to finish Outlander so quickly!

message 8: by Glenda (new)

Glenda | 220 comments Outlander is on my 2010 TBR Challenge List so I need to read it. I have been putting it off because it is so long. I have 3-4 other books I need to read this month, but I will try to keep up with you all this month (April).

message 9: by Jenni (new)

Jenni (NekoKitty) | 168 comments Glenda,

Outlander was also one of my 2010 TBR Challenge books! :) Don't worry about the length, it reads quickly - very quickly! You probably won't be able to put it down.

message 10: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 184 comments I know I couldn't! I was temporarily surgically attached! Now I'm waiting for Dragonfly in amber to arrive in the mail cause I unexpectedly read Outlander too fast! Oh well I can read one while I wait. Nothing wrong with that!

message 11: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 276 comments For those of you just starting the series, may I suggest you slow down and savor them. The next one in the series will not be released until 2013 I believe. I miss the characters so much! I have never read a book in which I have become so wrapped up in the characters

message 12: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 184 comments Jennie I can totally understand what you are saying I just couldn't put it down! Laundry almost halted at my house but I managed to pull away "baby steps"

message 13: by Jennie (last edited Mar 31, 2010 05:34PM) (new)

Jennie | 276 comments Karla. I know! I think moss grew on me while I was reading the series. Did you know that there is a book called The Outlandish Companion that Gabaldon wrote? I'st a sort of reference book for the first several books. It's pretty handy. I borrowed it from the library when I started the series.

Enjoy Dragonfly. Get some laundry done before it arrives. LOL

message 14: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 184 comments Thanks for the tip I hadn't heard of that companion book. Might be something to check into for me next time I attack the book store!
And believe me I have been working to get thru the Mt. Everest in my laundry room today since I finished yesterday. I love your description of moss growing on you....seriously made me laugh.

message 15: by Liz (new)

Liz I've got a big list of books to read this month, but I'm really hoping to get to this one. I might be a little late in the discussion - I'm excited to see why this book is so good!

message 16: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 184 comments Hope you like it Liz! Good escape into another time and place.

message 17: by Laura Beth (new)

Laura Beth (tampabookworm) | 219 comments I recently finished A Breath of Snow and Ashes and I have An Echo in the Bone on my bookshelf staring at me, but I am trying to hold off reading it!

message 18: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 184 comments Hope Echo doesn't end in a cliff hanger that would be torture!

message 19: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 276 comments Hey Karla....MAJOR cliff hanger. I'm sure I was alone when I finished it and I actually said "What!?" out loud.

Laura....can you hear that??? It's Echo calling you. READ ME, READ ME! ;-)

message 20: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 184 comments Oh you poor poor thing Jennie! That's the worst! I guess I will take my time here or at least try to. I'm an addict what can I say!

message 21: by Kerri (new)

Kerri Finished two days ago...haven't stopped thinking about it... FANTASTIC...my most favorite romance EVER . I'm looking forward to the spoiler thread...have to catch up on real life first and then I'll see you all over there!!!!

message 22: by Jill (new)

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4467 comments Hi Gang!

Just finished Outlander. I am ready to dish on the Spoiler thread when everyone is ready.

message 23: by DJ (new)

DJ  (DJDivaofJava) | 2985 comments Hi Jill I might be a bit late as Husband gave me it last night as he had to go out to work but being Easter I won't be able to completely sit and read......
See you later!

message 24: by Jill (new)

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4467 comments Ready whenever you are ready. No hurry.

message 25: by Harper (new)

Harper (harperbell) I started "Outlander" on Friday, but I haven't gotten too far yet. I've had a crazy weekend and my best friend is coming over later so I don't know how much reading I'll be able to get done. I'm interested so far, though!

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura | 251 comments I'm finishing up Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet right now, and am going to read Shutter Island as the month read, but would LOVE to get in on the Outlander reading and discussion. I have been wanting to read it for quite a while! I just may not chime in for a while... it is one long book...

message 27: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 184 comments Laura I just read Hotel on the corner of bitter and sweet in February I really liked it and read Shutter Island just last month and enjoyed it also. Outlander is a saga I can just really sink into I loved the first book and just received Dragonfly in amber this weekend hope to get to it very soon!

message 28: by Aerin (new)

Aerin | 33 comments Is this group planing to work through the whole series? I read Outlander for the first time a year ago and I loved it! I haven't read the rest of the series yet.

message 29: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Banks | 59 comments This series is one of my favorites. I'm working on A Breath of Snow and Ashes now. I think Diana Gabaldon is an excellent writer and story teller. She really brings you in and hooks you. After reading some reviews of her books by other goodreads people I've discovered that people either LOVE it or they absolutely HATE it. I'm a proud member of the "Love it and can't get enough of it" crowd. LOL So glad that this thread was started.

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura | 251 comments Karla wrote: "Laura I just read Hotel on the corner of bitter and sweet in February I really liked it and read Shutter Island just last month and enjoyed it also. Outlander is a saga I can just really sink into ..."

Oh good! It is so nice to read enjoyable books! I just had to stop reading 2 books - one was very depressing and the other very dull. So it is nice to be enjoying my reads again! Can't wait for Outlander!

message 31: by Harper (new)

Harper (harperbell) CK wrote: "Is this group planing to work through the whole series? I read Outlander for the first time a year ago and I loved it! I haven't read the rest of the series yet."

I'm not sure if anyone in this group is planning to read the rest of the series, but we're reading the whole series in the RRRC group. You can check out the thread if you're interested! We're starting "Dragonfly in Amber" next month.

message 32: by Jill (last edited Apr 05, 2010 05:45PM) (new)

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4467 comments @ CK

There is an entire section of Bood Addicts devoted to everything Outlander. Each book has it's own topic. There are a lot of fans here to discuss the series with you.

A small group of us committed to reading Outlander because it was on our 2010 TBR Challenge lists and then others just want to read it.

I'm betting many of them will want to continue the series.

We're Book Addicts! We don't need much of a push to join in! lol

message 33: by Kerri (new)

Kerri I certainly plan to read all of the books in the series, but am going to try really hard to sticking to one a month.....I don't have the best will power when it comes to books and especially cliff hangers, so we'll see how the "one-a-month" goes. I'm going to count Outlander as a March book since I finished it on March 30th (was supposed to be an April read for me) so am giving myself the "ok" to read Drangonfly in Amber in the next couple of weeks!!!!

message 34: by Jill (new)

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4467 comments Kerri, I love Book Addict logic.

message 35: by Gaijinmama (last edited Apr 07, 2010 04:29AM) (new)

Gaijinmama | 204 comments Just jumping in to say I finished Chapter 1 last night. This is, I believe, my 5th re-read of Outlander, or just O as we affectionately call it on the Diana Gabaldon Yahoo group I'm on. I never, never get tired of this series. I was angry at my husband for the entire summer of 1994 because he just isn't Jamie. (I got over it, we're still together, LOL)
I notice different little details every time I read it. I will most likely be unable to stop myself and all my other reading plans will go out the window as I work through the whole series so I can justify buying the most recent one when it comes out in paperback.
I will say that this first book is my favorite, with Voyager a close second.

message 36: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 276 comments CK, Where do you get your will power!? You read Outlander last year and haven't been tempted to pick up the next one!?

Gaijinmama: I laughed my butt off at your comment about being mad at your hubby for an entire summer because he's not Jamie! How true!

message 37: by DJ (new)

DJ  (DJDivaofJava) | 2985 comments Well I doubt I'll stay mad at Husband all summer for not being Jamie as he is a Scotsman....He still has faults though but he did buy me this book..........

message 38: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama | 204 comments DJ, do you go to Scotland often? Lucky you.
I have ancestry from the Isle of Skye (MacLeod)and I have always wanted to go.
BTW, my husband wore a kimono at the wedding. I guess I have a thing for guys in skirts, LOL.

message 39: by DJ (new)

DJ  (DJDivaofJava) | 2985 comments Hi er,well,yes I am Scottish and I live in Scotland....
I've never seen Nessie though and so far I was a bit disappointed about that bit in the book truth be told.
I'm about 3/5 s through it and while I'm enjoying it I do wish she had taken the tome to do a smidgen more research.....
Ok Ok we all knew that if anyone was going to be picky over this one it would be me......
:-)

message 40: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama | 204 comments DJ wrote: "Hi er,well,yes I am Scottish and I live in Scotland....
I've never seen Nessie though and so far I was a bit disappointed about that bit in the book truth be told.
I'm about 3/5 s through it and ..."

OOPS! Sorry DJ, I didn't know you were Scottish. Your profile just says U.K. Funny, we've chatted a bit about the Winchester boys from Supernatural and stuff but never got specific about where we're from or other personal details.
So...umm....yeah, I'm one of those annoying Americans who loves all things Scottish but have never been there. Do share. What inaccuracies did you notice?
It still won't spoil the story for me, but I'm curious.

message 41: by DJ (new)

DJ  (DJDivaofJava) | 2985 comments Hey don't worry-it gave me a laugh!!
Well some of the poetry and language just isn't quite right for the time,I don't want to be too picky as I am enjoying the book.Its just that she is so close to right had she got it completely wrong it wouldn't have bothered me at all.
I really wish she hadnae put in about Nessie as I just feel that its a bit of a Tourist Gimmick the way she has done it......
And we do actually get more sunshine...Ha!Now who is promoting Scotland?? LOL!!!

message 42: by Kerri (new)

Kerri DJ, even as a non-Scot, I thought the Nessie bit was odd. I absolutely loved this book, but agree that the bit by the lake seemed a little "touristy" and definitely unnecessary.

message 43: by DJ (new)

DJ  (DJDivaofJava) | 2985 comments Phew! Thanks Kerri thought people would just think I was being "dour Scot"!!
I wonder if she got sponsorship from the Scottish Tourist Board.......

message 44: by Kerri (new)

Kerri Well, it's crazy enough that she travelled back in time by touching a rock...it seemed a little over the top that she would also have a stare down with the legendary Lochness Monster.

message 45: by DJ (new)

DJ  (DJDivaofJava) | 2985 comments I can't really argue about the rock....that would be kind of cool(I'm also a Dr Who fan so time travel not an issue for me)but yeah to stare down Nessie and her a Sassenach at that,well its just plain wrong even Husband is annoyed,mind that might be because he himself has never seen Nessie(he is ever hopeful!!).

message 46: by Kerri (last edited Apr 08, 2010 07:45AM) (new)

Kerri lol....I can't argue about the time travel either...wish there was a rock like that in Nebraska...

message 47: by DJ (new)

DJ  (DJDivaofJava) | 2985 comments So when would you go to and would it be for a when or a who?

message 48: by Kerri (new)

Kerri Ooooh...I'll have to think and get back to you on that one.

message 49: by DJ (new)

DJ  (DJDivaofJava) | 2985 comments Right O.Take your time and choose wisely-I guess I should have a think to.....

message 50: by Yorky (new)

Yorky Caz (YorkyCaz) | 2211 comments Sounds intriguing!! I shall await updates from you both on that question!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Outlander (other topics)
An Echo in the Bone (other topics)
A Breath of Snow and Ashes (other topics)