Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

Group Book Discussion > (April/May 2010) The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer D (Booktrovert) Ooh! I read this book earlier in March and look forward to the discussion!

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) | 655 comments I had a little bit of a Border's gift card left & a coupon & 10% AARP (UGH!) discount, so I just ordered it!! Can't wait to read it...

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments It's a wonderful story. I read it in early February.

message 5: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I read this book a few months ago. I absolutely loved this story. Calpurnia Virginia Tate, in 1899, joins her grandfather in exploring the natural world around their property. I loved Callie V's relationship with her grandfather. I may re-read it for this discussion - it is such a quick, but very enjoyable "comfy" book.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer D (Booktrovert) I very much enjoyed this novel. I found myself wishing this book had been around when I was a girl - I would have found a kindred spirit in Callie.

Everything about this book appealed to me: spunky tomboyish girl going against the grain; connected generations of family; Darwin; scientific discoveries & inventions; the language Kelly uses and the story she crafted and interesting & quirky secondary characters.

To avoid spoilers so early in the month I won't write anything further for the time being. But, spoiler alert, here is a link to the review I wrote when I finished the novel in early March, 2010.

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) | 655 comments Just got it today!!!

message 8: by Judy (new)

Judy | 7 comments I got it from the library right away, i was surprised, no waiting, people must not know about it here.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer D (Booktrovert) Judy wrote: "I got it from the library right away, i was surprised, no waiting, people must not know about it here."

Judy, I am in Canada and have found, too, that when I mention this book people are unfamiliar with it, which is odd as it is a Newbery Award Honour book. Everyone I have told this book about ends up reading it and falling in love with Calpurnia and the novel. I hope you really enjoy the book!

message 10: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 466 comments Barnes and Noble is holding my ordered copy hostage (along with four other books) with a unusual shipment delay up to five days. I look forward to my copy in the mail. I hope for a good read that I can pass along to my daughter.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer D (Booktrovert) I have recommended it to several nieces (between the ages of 10 and 13) and they loved it. I think it is a great read aloud book for younger kids, but I think older girls will love it too!

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I read this book last month and absolutely fell in love with Callie Vee, who is so charming and delightful that you will be fawning all over her by the second chapter. At the heart of the novel is her special relationship with her grandfather, who introduces her to the world of science and discovery - not really an area of study for young girls at the end of the 19th century. This book is recommended for ages 9-12, but I have yet to meet an adult who hasn't loved it. The writing is beautiful, the story fantastic, and the characters lovable.

This, I believe, was the runner-up for the Newbery Award that went to the fantastic When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead When You Reach Me, which I would also recommend for adults. (especially if you loved A Wrinkle in Time!)

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) | 655 comments I finally started reading this, it seems to be a quick one, so hopefully I will finish it soon.

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) | 655 comments Finished!!!

message 15: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Becky wrote: "Finished!!!"

And did you like it?

message 16: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) | 655 comments LynnB wrote: "Becky wrote: "Finished!!!"

And did you like it?"

I did, very enjoyable.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I loved the curiosity of Callie Vee, and I liked reading about the relationship she had with her grandfather. This book reminded me of some childhood memories of the old farm place where my father was raised by an aunt and uncle. My uncle was a farmer and scientist, who had papers and drawings of flora/fauna archived in the Smithsonian. I remember looking through musty, scientific books in his drawing room. This story really brought me back in time.

On a side note, I found "The Fanny Farmer Cookbook" in Goodwill shortly after reading Calpurnia Tate. I had to buy it and chuckle. I'll let you know if I have any better success than Callie with the recipes.

message 18: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (KathrynH) Oh what a delightful book. I just loved Callie Vee...the ending kind of left me wondering what was next....

This was right up there with Saving Ceecee Honeycutt and The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate (other topics)
When You Reach Me (other topics)
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (other topics)
Saving CeeCee Honeycutt (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jacqueline Kelly (other topics)