Snow Flower and the Secret Fan Snow Flower and the Secret Fan discussion

Similar books.

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Trina Can someone tell me some similar books that are like " Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" and Memoirs of a Gaisha.

Brenda Lisa See's "Peony in Love" and "Shanghai Girls" could be considered similar! I enjoyed both of them. But warned "Peony in Love" is rather deep!

Viola Are you looking for books specifically on Asia? Or the plight of women?

You might like A Thousand Splendid Suns, as it is about women in Afghanistan. And I've also heard that a similar book is The Red Tent, but I haven't read that one myself.

Bxrlover Katrina wrote: "Can someone tell me some similar books that are like " Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" and Memoirs of a Gaisha."

I really enjoyed both of those novels as well and have these on my To Read list:

Geisha of Gion: The Memoir of Mineko Iwasaki by Mineko Iwasaki, Rande Brown

Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata

Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang

The Street of a Thousand Blossoms by Gail Tsukiyama

Have you read anything by Amy Tan or Pearl S Buck?

Viola Bxrlover brings up some good ideas. The Good Earth was an excellent book.

Aleks Veselovsky A Free Life by Ha Jin
The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan

Karen B Try Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstressby Dai Sjie. I really loved the book.

Tina Peony in Love and Shark Dialogues are somewhat similar to Snow Flower and both really good.

Dara S. If you are looking for the close female friendship I would recommend Firefly Lane byKristin Hannah.

Andrea Empress Orchid, The Last Empress, Becoming Madam Mao... anything by Anchee Min. Hope you enjoy them!

message 11: by Lily (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lily Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata

Just learned about this book myself yesterday and this description makes it sound like it is a possible reality check on Memoirs of a Geisha:

"To this haunting novel of wasted love, Kawabata brings the brushstroke suggestiveness and astonishing grasp of motive that earned him the Nobel Prize for Literature. As he chronicles the affair between a wealthy dilettante and the mountain geisha who gives herself to him without illusions or regrets, one of Japan's greatest writers creates a work that is dense in implication and exalting in its sadness."

(From the Goodreads entry.)

My local library has a copy and I hope to at least do a quick perusal to decide whether to read it or not.

message 12: by Lily (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lily Snow Flower and the Secret Fan is the only book that I know about that deals with a language created by women for women. But, I have seen references to other works about special languages developed for communications within specific groups. Right now, I couldn't quickly retrieve suggestions.

A book on communications that I particularly love (okay, "like") is: Spell of the Sensuous by David Abram. I was introduced to it by readings from my son's university class on the History of Western Civilization, but it is a delightful read more than a studious one.

Many books have been written that deal with the practice of foot binding or include stories about the women or their ancestors who experienced it. Very informative web sites are also available when one does a search on the topic.

message 13: by Lily (last edited Apr 08, 2011 02:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lily I do highly recommend Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang as suggested by Bxrlover above. Several of us who read it together years ago recently recommended it to a friend who had just returned from a pleasure trip to China, and she, too, agreed with the quality of the read.

For a modern look at one segment of women in China, try Factory Girls by Leslie T. Chang.

Cindi I agree with Viola. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck.

message 15: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy Bonesetter's Daughter is good. I liked Shanghai Girl's better than Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. The Red Tent was mentioned, I happen to be reading that now, it would fit the plight of women theme, but is set in Bible times.

message 16: by Elizabeth (last edited Apr 11, 2011 01:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elizabeth Every book by Lisa See is fantastic, Snow Flower, Shanghai Girls,and more If you have not read her On Gold Mountain you are in for a treat.

Alyssa It seems like everyone on this thread has the same taste in books that I do! I was going to recommend Amy Tan, Pearl S. Buck, and also, The Girl Who Played Go. A slightly more modern Chinese tale is 'Beijing Doll' which follows a young modern teenage Chinese girl.

message 18: by Annie (new)

Annie The Secrets of Jin-Shei! This book was written before Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, and it's an excellent read if you're interested in a secret women's language--made by women, for women. It's fictional--and they call it differently than "Nushu", but it's based on it, and it's a very good book.

Penny Wild Swan: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chung was excellent too.

MaryJane Rings This book was a new experience for me into the lives of young women in a very over protected society. more rigid than the Victorian era.

message 21: by Rebecca (last edited Dec 16, 2012 02:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca Barrow It sounds like a lot of you have similar tastes in books to me, and I absolutley adored Snowflower - if you're not only after something set in China, and aren't set on the protagonist being a woman, but just like cultural novels I'd recommend The Glassblower of Murano (one of my all time favourites), A Hero's Walk and Brick Lane, all of which are set in different cultures by authors who create wonderful imagery and set scenes with such talented writing.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (other topics)
A Thousand Splendid Suns (other topics)
The Red Tent (other topics)
The Good Earth (other topics)
Firefly Lane (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kristin Hannah (other topics)
Leslie T. Chang (other topics)
Jung Chang (other topics)
Pearl S. Buck (other topics)