Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Archive > VWrulesChick :)

Comments (showing 1-35 of 35) (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

VWrulesChick Hi all,

I am Angela, but everyone knows me as VWrulesChick. My nickname came from my love of Volkswagens (and roadtrips) when growing up. And yes, I own one - actually on my 4th VW (Jetta GLS).

I live in Vancouver BC with my shy hubbie (who I love dearly, but he is the kid in our family at the moment as we don't have any.............yet) Hmmmm, maybe that is why I so serious all the time? Anyways, back to what I was saying.

I am in my early 30s and work in management at a car rental company. (yes, I have some insurance knowledge with car rentals - hehe) Currently, studying at nights at the local tech college to get a certificate as a Medical Office Assistant (as I want to change industries).

I love to travel (locally and internationally) and take in local cuisine (and hot spots). But seem to have a weak point for a great glass of white wine and great tasting food.

I am involved in a local bookclub that I am active in, where I am quenching my thirst of reading and socializing with/without wine (hehe). But Goodreads has definitely taken it to the next level. If I haven't said Hello to you - 'Hello and a pleasure to meet you. Now, what is your favorite book/author?'

message 2: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Shell Schroth (MsShell) | 1520 comments Mod
Heya VWRules... so funny so many of us have some experience in the insurance industry... weird. Anyways, I am in Vernon B.C.. Were practically neighbours... lol. Welcome...:)

VWrulesChick Shell wrote: "Heya VWRules... so funny so many of us have some experience in the insurance industry... weird. Anyways, I am in Vernon B.C.. Were practically neighbours... lol. Welcome...:)"

Totally - years ago I used to work as a travel agent dealt with travel insurance, too.

I know you are a stone's throw away, usually head to Kelowna in mid-September each year to do a wine tour with hubbie. I love Gray Monk, there are sooooo many awesome wineries in your neck of the woods. You lucky butt!

message 4: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (last edited Mar 26, 2010 07:33AM) (new)

VWrulesChick wrote: "Shell wrote: "Heya VWRules... so funny so many of us have some experience in the insurance industry... weird. Anyways, I am in Vernon B.C.. Were practically neighbours... lol. Welcome...:)"

Tota..."

True...It's almost criminal that I'm not a fan of wine, eh? Lol. Or skiing, or golf.. But I am a fan of sunshine.. so that make's up for it. Being the Okanagan, and all.

Alycia Your bookclub sounds like fun VWrulesChick! Where do you like to travel to?

VWrulesChick Shell wrote: "VWrulesChick wrote: "Shell wrote: "Heya VWRules... so funny so many of us have some experience in the insurance industry... weird. Anyways, I am in Vernon B.C.. Were practically neighbours... lol. ..."

HAHAHHAaa - well at least you get sunshine... our reputation is rain, rain and well ...more rain. (liquid sunshine is what we call it, hence the green factor). At least you get lots of sunshine up there.

No worries, wine is good in my books as well as good strong liquor, however not a fan of beer (and how my hubbie wishes I was). Each to their own.

VWrulesChick Alycia wrote: "Your bookclub sounds like fun VWrulesChick! Where do you like to travel to?"

It is, there is about 8 of us, ladies - mostly (hehe). All from different backgrounds and stages in life. We just get together every 5-6 weeks and discuss a book (done by a draw) at one of member's homes (rotating) and hostess just gets some finger foods ready while the visitors bring a bottle of wine or two. This creates a social atmosphere, as well as, the wine eases away our stresses and bring out laughter and enjoyment of each other's company. And we have had some intense to loud laughing fits in this group. It is one of the nice events I look forward to every couple of weeks with hanging with the ladies.

Travelling - ahhh where to start...I love Europe (Hamburg, Prague....ohhh Italy, especially Ischia), although not much lately. We are hoping to take off early fall for 3-4 weeks. But, it looks like one of GF is getting married so back the drawing board. Hubbie and I have travelled most of Western Canada and Western USA. Still have lots of other places to visit like the South Pacific and South America and even Africa some day...man I really want to board a plane right now ...hehehe

message 8: by Alycia (last edited Mar 28, 2010 05:36PM) (new)

Alycia Too bad you are far away... I would love to crash your fun bookclub :)

I would love to travel more! My husband and I don't travel as much as we used to. So I am a little green with envy, but enjoy all your time with your hubby and let us know all about it!

message 9: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Alycia wrote: "Too bad you are far away... I would love to crash your fun bookclub :)

I would love to travel more! My husband and I don't travel as much as we used to. So I am a little green with envy, but enjoy..."

I have never traveled... Dave and I never even had a honeymoon... ( Do you hear them... the violins???)

Alycia LOL! Yes, so sad Shell! You should have him wisk you away on a wonderful romantic getaway

Jesslynn | 70 comments Shell wrote: "Alycia wrote: "Too bad you are far away... I would love to crash your fun bookclub :)

I would love to travel more! My husband and I don't travel as much as we used to. So I am a little green wit..."

I have only lived in one county my ENTIRE life...so I have a thing for traveling! I have to go and see new things. It's a compulsion almost as bad as having to read books! LOL

message 12: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Well, when we do finally go somewhere, It's gonna be England and Scotland. Screw hot paradise, with palm trees. So Boring! I want me some drafty castles, and fields of heather, and rain. Oh and sheep... I need to see me lots of sheep. But not any sheep, has to be authentic Scottish Sheep....

Alycia ROFLMAO! HAHAHA! Seriously, I can;t stop laughing... it would be cool to see Scotland and I would loved to see England again!

Jesslynn | 70 comments I would LOVE to see Scotland, but I can't tell my hubby abt my highlander fettish. He probably wouldn't let me go!

message 15: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Jesslynn, I apoligise, as no matter what the discussion, we always manage to divert back to it, but taking your admitted infatuation with Highlanders, Have you ever read the Outlander  by Diana Gabaldon series?

Jesslynn | 70 comments um, no. And I'm undecided as to whether I would like it or not. It's kinda romance, kinda not. I'm just not sure and my library has a sucky selection, so I usually have to buy the books that I want to read.

Jesslynn | 70 comments But thanks for the suggestion. Is it your favorite Highlander book?

Alycia Oh, Jesslynn, you must try the Outlander series!

Shell, and others... we can pimp this series out any time :)

Jesslynn | 70 comments Hahaha...I will try it then!

message 20: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Jesslynn wrote: "But thanks for the suggestion. Is it your favorite Highlander book?"

This is simply, one of my favorite series, of all time. Hence the constant plugging of it... :)

Kelly  | 142 comments Must one eat Mutton in Scotland? LOL

Outlander 5Star read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dear Jamie.......sigh........

Alycia Yes... JAMIE!!!!! :)

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Shell wrote: "Well, when we do finally go somewhere, It's gonna be England and Scotland. Screw hot paradise, with palm trees. So Boring! I want me some drafty castles, and fields of heather, and rain. Oh and she..."

Dude, if it makes you feel any better, I'll go across the street, lay in the field and "baa, baa, baa" till the cows come home.

Hardy har!!

message 24: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Heather wrote: "Shell wrote: "Well, when we do finally go somewhere, It's gonna be England and Scotland. Screw hot paradise, with palm trees. So Boring! I want me some drafty castles, and fields of heather, and ra..."

Nah, I would rather see the real thing. But thx for the offer. That's friendship... Instead we should go for a trip, you can crouch in the fields of heather, with a drafty castle in the background, and 'BAH' to your hearts content. I'll even bring my video camera!!!

VWrulesChick heheheheheh - you ladies are hilarious!!!

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Sounds good. How bout the summer of 2015? Gives us time to save a bit.

message 27: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

your on...I'll still be in my 30's, so all will be good.

Fiona (yahoodymcewan) | 20 comments Hey VWrulesChick, i'm Fiona, how ye doing?
Loving the whole retro car thing, i love mini's. Favourite Author is Diana Gabaldon but my favouritte book is Peter Pan, always has been & always will be.xx

VWrulesChick Hi Fiona!

Doing well, considering it is finally Friday! Yeah!! Sunshine!! hahah yes, love of VWs is mine, my sister has a cream newer mini that she adores. I love the minis from the newer Italian Job (movie). Hot little cars! Especially Stella's vintage mini.

Ahh yes, Diana and her series of books I have yet to discover, however I have been preparing and getting all the books requested at my local library. Hoping the summer will allow me to enjoy her reading and the stories that include Jamie (main character?) I am sure I will get a response from Shell and Heather and others about this. (hehehe)

Awesome, I seen Peter Pan in many different forms. But you know, I don't think I have read it (well the true story vs Disney version) I think I will add that to my TBR shelf.

BTW - love your avatar, you look fabulous in your wedding gown! I wish you lots of patience while you are writing your children's book and hope it is a rewarding experience for you.

:)

Fiona (yahoodymcewan) | 20 comments VWrulesChick wrote: "Hi Fiona!

Not so keen on the new style minis love the old ones though. You are gonna love The Outlander Seriesas much as the rest of us, i did find that the 1st 7 chapters of Outlander a bit slow 1st time i read them but now i can understand why i felt like that,i didn't realise what happened. lol

As for the wedding frock well that has to be 1 of maybe 5 times anyone has ever seen me in a dress, usually it's jeans t-shirt & dr martins. lol i don't even have my long hair anymore, lol

Thank you for the kind words about the childrens books. i will remember you when i'm published & famous.xx

message 31: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

VWrulesChick wrote: "Hi Fiona!

Doing well, considering it is finally Friday! Yeah!! Sunshine!! hahah yes, love of VWs is mine, my sister has a cream newer mini that she adores. I love the minis from the newer Itali..."

Damn rights you'll get a response... Lol. It is my mission in life to get anyone, and everyone to read these books.... Get on it!!! Lol... (and talk with me, during your journey, so I can live vicariously through you, reading it for the first time...;))

VWrulesChick Fiona wrote: "VWrulesChick wrote: "Hi Fiona!

Not so keen on the new style minis love the old ones though. You are gonna love The Outlander Seriesas much as the rest of us, i did find that the 1st 7 chapters ..."

You are too sweet dear Fiona! :)

VWrulesChick Shell wrote: "VWrulesChick wrote: "Hi Fiona!

Doing well, considering it is finally Friday! Yeah!! Sunshine!! hahah yes, love of VWs is mine, my sister has a cream newer mini that she adores. I love the minis..."

HAHAhaha - yes ma'am! I will let you know once I get started on the series of Outlander and you can re-live the wonder of discovering Jamie and others through my eyes....just no spoilers, OK?

message 34: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

VWrulesChick wrote: "Shell wrote: "VWrulesChick wrote: "Hi Fiona!

Doing well, considering it is finally Friday! Yeah!! Sunshine!! hahah yes, love of VWs is mine, my sister has a cream newer mini that she adores. I ..."

I wouldn't dream of spoiling the fun...

Fiona (yahoodymcewan) | 20 comments nope me neither! i hate it when folk do that.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Outlander (other topics)