Harlequin Presents Readers discussion

Help Finding Books Folder > Are You A Vintage HP Collector?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 115) (115 new)    post a comment »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 2102 comments Mod
I love to get my hands on the older HP books. It's become a bit of an obsession. And I've really lucked out at times, finding them on the clearance shelf at the used bookstore. Sometimes I think I work to pay for my book hobby. LOL.

What about you all?

Samantha | 23 comments Oh I love getting older HP books. I've found a few at used bookstores and even got some from my mom's friends who are avid readers. I love when I get books from them because you get some books you can't hardly find now.

Lynsey A (LovesDarcy) | 160 comments Right there with you, Danielle. Especially old Lynne Graham books. Unfortunately, my usb in my hometown doesn't carry any HP's older than 2000. :-( They moved to a smaller space so they got rid of tons of them. It's such a bummer. It's hard to find those old ones.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 2102 comments Mod
It's frustrating how some of the smaller ubs don't stock all the series romances. I understand why. Normally I'll find them on the clearance shelf. Someone else's garbage is my treasure, apparently. Samantha, how cool that you have a 'source' of books!

willaful | 262 comments I wouldn't call myself a collector... or if I am, it's a very selective one. But I do love me some old HPs.

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (LadyEvelynQuince) | 31 comments Oh Danielle, this is a big issue between my husband and me. I have about 700 HPs slowly molding away in my basement. He asks me all the time what I'm going to do with them. When I ask him what he's going to do with his old GI Joes, model airplanes and military books and he answers that they're collectibles, I tell him the same.

I started collecting books when I was 12, but when I went away to college, my father threw them all out! I must have had 500 paperbacks, most of them historical romances, Harlequin Temptations and HPs. Not that all of them were great, but still...

willaful | 262 comments My husband isn't allowed to say anything much about my books, considering he has about 14 guitars. ;-)

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (LadyEvelynQuince) | 31 comments Willaful wrote: "My husband isn't allowed to say anything much about my books, considering he has about 14 guitars. ;-)"

Guitars I can understand...there's something sexy about a guy who can play an instrument! But where does he put them all?

My husband actually admires our joint book collection of numerous history, science fiction, non fiction and literature. He just doesn't like the romances that clutter around. I tell him books aided my imagination so he better appreciate them. :)

Wow! That's a lot of guitars. Is your husband in a band, Willaful?

I only keep the books I can give a 3 star or more, and I want to reread. I could probably be more discerning about adding books to my collection, but I have few vices, and books are one of them. :)

Wendy, just give your husband's collectables a meaningful look when he asks you about your books. Besides, they make you happy, right?

Harlequin Books (HarlequinBooks) | 75 comments I love the older HP's. The earliest one I have in my personal collection is #6 The Honey is Bitter by Violet Winspear. I wish I had every title since then and of course the first 5, but I'm lucky to have found as many as I have. There are big gaps in my collection though.

willaful | 262 comments I was actually exaggerating--it's *only* six. He does keep most of them in his closet.

He is (part-time) in a band, but get this - he plays *harmonica*. And he owns six of those, too -- he's always having to buy a new one for a specific song! At least they don't take up much space. ;-)

Samantha | 23 comments Wendy...I feel for ya! My mom once tried to sell boxes of my books in a yard sale for her church. I caught her in a nick of time. Literally, I came home and was like "What are all these boxes and bags?" and once she was like I'm taking them to the church, I knew something of mine was in there. Sure, enough it was books. I nearly lost my mind. She end up putting them all back.

Just thinking about it, makes me want to call her and see if she is trying that crap now! LOL! I still have boxes of books in her house!

I was furious when my mom donated our Dr. Seuss books to the church rummage sale. I'm still not over that!

Willaful, your hubby needs to keep quiet on your book collecting. Glass houses, and all that. :)

Verity | 535 comments Not a VC but an auto-buy author's backlist collector. I may be wrong but I think my oldest HP is Anne Mather 'cuz I got everything.

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (LadyEvelynQuince) | 31 comments Samantha wrote: "Wendy...I feel for ya! My mom once tried to sell boxes of my books in a yard sale for her church. I caught her in a nick of time. Literally, I came home and was like "What are all these boxes and b..."

Yes, I think losing a lot of those books scarred me, LOL! Now I have so many book cluttering up the place that I have double or even triples and didn't know it! After I get my gardening done, I will do an inventory of books and see what I can sell or give away.

I might have a similar issue, Wendy. It comes in handy to have an extra occasionally. If anything, you can pass it onto a friend who's looking for that book. But I definitely could stand to go through my collection and weed out a few books.

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (LadyEvelynQuince) | 31 comments Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I might have a similar issue, Wendy. It comes in handy to have an extra occasionally. If anything, you can pass it onto a friend who's looking for that book."

Danielle, I'm finding that to be true already thanks to this site. I can't believe I never visited here sooner!

Samantha | 23 comments Well Wendy pass it on to me girl! LOL!

Sly plug for the bookswap thread on this group. If you have books that need homes, you can post them there.

Samantha | 23 comments True. Didn't think about that Danielle :)

Booked | 21 comments Yes, I am a vintage collector! I have been collecting for years! I love the old books and when I find an author I like I try to read most of their books but only if they have interesting plots. I have my list of fav which under this listomania Addicted to Harlequins! Hope you find my recommendations helpful :) I'm still trying to find books and authors to try an will be looking forward to everyone's suggestions :)

Booked, can you post a link here to your listmania? Thanks.

Booked | 21 comments Sorry it's in listopia :) addicted to harlequins

http://www.goodreads.com/list/user_vo...

Sorrry I'm still new at this :(

No need to apologize! Thanks!

Books&Friends (BooksandFriends) | 1 comments Well I had all of them even the subscription extras. There was this shop in the town next to us and he was closing his doors. He had a back room dedicated to the Harlequin and Silhouette romances. Being a Presents collector I bought all the missing books there. That was well over 10 years ago. I kept all of them until a few years ago when we moved into a new house. When the mover came to do an estimate of my thousands, and I mean multi-thousands of books, he wanted too much. So unfortunately I had to prune down to my absolute favorites. That still means I have tons of books left. :-)) I'm still hurting from the bill but I love my vintage Harlequin Presents! (that and my historical collection, lol)
By-the-way, I still see my vintage Presents with their distinctive stamps making the rounds at the local thrift shops.

Booksbestfriend, I am glad you can still find the vintage ones in the used bookstore. Most of them that I've been to don't carry the really early HP books. I can feel your pain for having to let go of some of your book treasures.

Slaveforomance | 68 comments I've been buying some vintage HPs from ebay. Its a nice read since some of the newer ones aren't that great.

message 28: by Alexis-Morgan (last edited Apr 26, 2011 09:40PM) (new)

Alexis-Morgan Roark (alexismroark) | 96 comments I've been getting quite a few from my neighborhood grocery store ($1)and the $1 table at the discount Crown Book store. At Crown Books, you can get 10 books for $5. There are better deals, but with three kids they have to practically fall in my lap!

Robbin | 6 comments I like the older HP's.The newer HP's seem like they are missing something.

Reader in NJ (ReaderinNJ) | 61 comments I like the older HPs also. I do not keep many books but my keeper box is filled with old HPs.

Once in awhile I will buy a lot on ebay but after reading the books I usually give them away to a hospital auxiliary that re-sells them.

message 31: by Kouk (last edited Jul 22, 2011 08:53AM) (new)

Kouk | 201 comments I used to collect the Dutch Harlequins but it became to much and short after that i basically quit reading in Dutch.

English HP's are only sold here in on line bookstores.
But the shipping takes very long, so i end up buying the e book instead.

Vashti | 708 comments Would not say am a vintage collector, but I do love the older Anne Mather, Carole Mortimer, Penny Jordan, and Michelle Ried's.Usu buys them at the thrift stores or at a Goodwill as the ubs does not carry the older ones.Did however by all of Lynne Graham's baclist that I did not have on Amazon,and that was a fortune.Also like the old Jacquline Baird's.

Karla (MossyLoveGrotto) I have a huge amt of the older HPs by default. At a $5/bag book sale that was swarming with Harlequins, I didn't care what I grabbed. :D

I would love a $5 grab bag of HQNs. I can't blame you, Karla.

Lynsey A (LovesDarcy) | 160 comments Awesome sale, Karla. Lucky you.

Alexis-Morgan Roark (alexismroark) | 96 comments I am really enjoying my vintage HPs. They're just so over the top sometimes!! I just ordered Penny Jordan's What You Made Me via Amazon.com. Can't wait till it gets here!!

Alexis-Morgan Roark (alexismroark) | 96 comments Oh, I've also got a large number of Candlelight Romances (thanks to eBay) from Dell. Not HPs but definitely vintage.

Diane (booknuts) | 15 comments occasionallyi get lucky and find a group of books by an older author on ebay or somewhere on-line, and i can get them--in fact, my first ebay purchase was for about 18 robyn donald books that replaced some i'd lost in a flood years previously. i rely heavily on ebay and half.com for filling in gaps on some authors that i now have most or all of their books, like margaret way, robyn donald, betty neels, miranda lee, michelle reid, lynne graham, oh, i could go on and on! my city also has an annual library booksale where i can sometimes find older books. like others of you here, the used book stores no longer carry older HP's, actually throwing them away. i have about 6500 books in my personal library, not even counting ebooks, and throwing away books is not something i ever do

Alexis-Morgan Roark (alexismroark) | 96 comments Throw away books? No way. My DH bought me a Kindle to avoid more trips to IKEA for bookshelves. It didn't work, btw. I got the Candlelight books, RT Freebies, and vintage HP LOT AFTER Valentine's Day-when I got the Kindle.

In fact, while he's out of town...I'm off to the dollar table at my favorite UBS tomorrow. :-)

3meg | 361 comments Alexis-Morgan wrote: "I am really enjoying my vintage HPs. They're just so over the top sometimes!! I just ordered Penny Jordan's What You Made Me via Amazon.com. Can't wait till it gets here!!"

Alexis-Morgan - i hope you enjoy the penny jordan. that was one of my 1st HP's and I love it!

Alexis-Morgan Roark (alexismroark) | 96 comments Megan wrote: "Alexis-Morgan wrote: "I am really enjoying my vintage HPs. They're just so over the top sometimes!! I just ordered Penny Jordan's What You Made Me via Amazon.com. Can't wait till it ..."

Thanks, Megan. I am looking forward to starting it soon.

Just a heads up, Saly pointed out to me that Amazon now has a lot of older (20 years and less) Harlequin Presents on Kindle. They can be found under Harlequin Treasury Harlequin Presents. It's a good way to get some of the older books without having to hunt down used copies.

Diane (booknuts) | 15 comments one thing i especially like about the older HP's (from the 70's and '80's) is the fact the the characters just seem more real. the heroes have more ordinary jobs--they are not all billionaires/sheikhs/playboys. sex isn't thrown in at every opportunity, to substitute for plot. of course, they are somewhat less than PC in their treatment of the heroines sometimes! when i look at how some authors have written over the last 30-40 years, it amazes me how much they have changed to follow the HP writing standards (perhaps that is the wrong word to use, as i believe standards have lowered drastically!). margaret way's earlier books were fabulous, as well as robyn donald's--now donald's books are so much less than what she is capable of writing. i guess i mean that they are so much more formulaeic (is that a word?) now; it's like books are a series of multiple choices for characters, plots, locations, etc. so much can be interchanged nd true storytelling is lost as a result.

I agree that the vintage books were more dynamic and less cookie cutter.

3meg | 361 comments I agree 100% with you Diane! I enjoy the old ones so much more! Way more passion too

Lynsey A (LovesDarcy) | 160 comments Very well said, Diane. I think that is very true.

@Danielle - interesting info about the vintage HP's at Amazon...too bad I don't have a Kindle. :) Although, I did just enter a contest to win one. Keep my fingers crossed. Ha ha.

Diane (booknuts) | 15 comments i saw some HP's as e-books and they were $4.25 each! i can get them cheaper than that through half.com as paperbacks, and if i get more than one the price usually averages under $3.00.

Lynsey, my fingers are crossed!

Lynsey A (LovesDarcy) | 160 comments Awesome! Thanks, Danielle! :)

Karla (MossyLoveGrotto) I haven't read nearly as many HPs (well, Harlequins in general) as you ladies here, but from what I have read, the older ones do have more substance overall and are less...ordinary (?) than the newer ones, despite all the high-flying lifestyle heroes and heroines.

In short, ditto to what Diane said.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

What You Made Me (other topics)
The Vengeful Husband (The Husband Hunters, #2) (other topics)
Gates of Steel (other topics)