Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Totally Random

Comments (showing 1-50 of 466) (466 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments In case you missed me, I've spent most of the day trying to figure out this Kindle. After a few hacks I have decided that I will keep it. You know, in case you wanted to know. That's all. You may go back to your regularly scheduled program.

Oh, and I have two baby showers to go to and I forgot to order my little sisters' track shoes - whoops!

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (ShannyBananny71) Yay for your Kindle! How exciting! What hacks have you done?

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments None! No really, I was able to get a library book on there and screensavers, but the screen saver didn't come out well (by that I mean didn't work) so that plan is ditched. But the library hack is worth 1,000 hacks in my eyes. I have to set up an alert so I can delete them before my lending period ends.

The Kindle is light and thin and I don't know when my cover will be here. I hold it like it's a newborn. My hubby seems to love it though. Now my romance and teen novels will have to compete with his Christian classics.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments wimper...wimper - says the too cheap girl

message 5: by Chachic (new)

Chachic | 353 comments Congrats on your new Kindle! I'm jealous. I'd love to have a Kindle because it'll be easier to get books. I don't have to worry about whether the bookstores here will stock up on the books that I want.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments You guys aren't missing much, I still like the feel of paper. There are some nicer ones that are supposed to come out later in the year (ebook readers, not Kindles) so maybe the prices will drop. There is a SUPER nice one coming out later in the year that is as thin as a magazine, full color, and you can even bend it into a U shape. I took one look at it, fell in love, then gave up on it because I know it won't be in my price range.

They have a nice ebook reader at Walgreens for around 100 and there are some pretty good ones between 100 and 200. I saved my money for this one and had been eyeballing it for a long time. unfortunately I didn't have nearly enough money when it last went on sale.

I won't give up up paper books though. I bought a really nice bookmark a few months back and I still need to use my $15 worth.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments Bluemoon -- stay with me -- don't get a Kindle. I don't want to be all alone here in "real book" land. p.s. I wish you could rent them because I am too cheap to buy one, but would like to try one out. However, in the end, I get ALL of my books from the library and it would be silly for me to start buying ebooks just because I want to be a cool kid. Am I in high school again?? Flashback!

message 8: by Chachic (new)

Chachic | 353 comments Bluemoon wrote: "im so lost :(. I feel dumb too...what's a Kindle?"

It's Amazon's e-reader.

message 9: by Chachic (new)

Chachic | 353 comments Peep wrote: "You guys aren't missing much, I still like the feel of paper. There are some nicer ones that are supposed to come out later in the year (ebook readers, not Kindles) so maybe the prices will drop. T..."

What's the name of the one that's coming out in color? I'd love to have an e-reader but I don't have the money for it! And I have trouble saving money because I keep buying books.

message 10: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Ok sometimes my very own brain taints my very own memories! Why? I don't know. It's actually doesn't come in color, none do that, but it's still cool. It's called a Skiff reader. And it doesn't bend in a U shape, more like a W bit without that junk in the middles. There's another one that's coming out called The Que. Both have large displays and are sexier than the the Kindle, but because of the size and cool factor I suspect they'll cost a lot.

message 11: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Heidi wrote: "However, in the end, I get ALL of my books from the library and it would be silly for me to start buying ebooks just because I want to be a cool kid. Am I in high school again?? Flashback! ."

Ouch! You cut me deep, down to the bone!

I don't plan on buying any books. I'm going to fill it with free books until it equals the cost of what I spent. If I buy a book that I really want in my collection then I'll buy the paper kind - unless it's cheaper with the Kindle, then all bets are off.

message 12: by Chachic (new)

Chachic | 353 comments Peep wrote: "Ok sometimes my very own brain taints my very own memories! Why? I don't know. It's actually doesn't come in color, none do that, but it's still cool. It's called a Skiff reader. And it doesn't ben..."

These look cool! But they seem big though. Not something that'll fit in your purse so you can't carry it around wherever you go.

message 13: by Chachic (new)

Chachic | 353 comments Bluemoon, you don't take advantage of having a library there? *gasp* I would if we had any decent libraries here! That's one of my biggest frustrations. So I buy the books that I read too because I won't be able to get them otherwise.

message 14: by Chachic (new)

Chachic | 353 comments Yeah me too, I read before I sleep so I usually have a book beside me in bed. It's a good thing it never gets mussed up or anything. I like having copies of the books that I love but there are times when I wish there was a library where I can borrow books that I'm not sure if I'd end up liking or not.

message 15: by Sara ♥ (last edited Mar 23, 2010 07:34PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) The Skiff looks really awesome... but I agree that it's too big! 9"x11"? How am I supposed to put that in my purse? Can I get the half-size model?

message 16: by Chachic (new)

Chachic | 353 comments Bluemoon wrote: "There's usually a pile of books beside my bed because sometimes I can't choose which one I read first. hehehehe..."

Me too! Most of the time, half of my bed is occupied by books.I'm not a very neat person so I don't put them away right away and I also have a hard time deciding what to read next.

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (ShannyBananny71) The Kindle 2 is small enough to fit in my purse so I take it everywhere with me. The screen is not color or backlit so there is no eye strain. I have a cover that converts into a stand so I can read without holding it. I do not miss real books at all.

P.S. I am SO not a cool kid. :)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments * sad face :(

message 19: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments If I say I'm cool, does that make me cool?

I have about 15 books on the Kindle so far. 8 of them are gallies. My husband, who really doesn't have an interest in the Kindle has put about 40 books on there! Already! I politely asked him if he would like his own Kindle to which he answered "why". Wowee Za! (Or whatever it is that Rowley says in Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (ShannyBananny71) My poor husband has to use the library. Haha!

message 21: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments He won't take the hints Shannen. :) All of the books he got were free from John Piper, some from a few other authors, and the rest from free classics. He's still looking for more. I'm glad he left for work so I can enjoy it myself - umm after I spend time here of course.

message 22: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (JaimieR) | 1275 comments When I started talking about getting an ereader my boyfriend got all excited about me getting the iPad. Silly boy thinks that if I do get it I would ever let him touch it.

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (ShannyBananny71) I've given some thought to the iPad but I worry about it being backlit and eyestrain. The Kindle is just like looking at a page in the book. I'm a gadget kind of girl (in case that isn't obvious). Between my gadget addiction and my newly found Coach addiction, my hubby has his hands full!

message 24: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (JaimieR) | 1275 comments I'm not too worried about eyestrain but I don't think I am going to get one of the first gen because there are some funny things going on. Example: no mulit-tasking or camera or flash player. I don't really need a laptop but I want one and the iPad is kind of the inbetween but I think I will let them work out the kinks first.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments Shannen wrote: "My poor husband has to use the library. Haha!"

See - I told you I am not cool. Shannen's husband and I have to use the library. What a bunch of losers we are :( Maybe like JT "I'm bringing libraries back". Darn it - now I have that song in my head!

message 26: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (JaimieR) | 1275 comments I use the library a lot too. I am looking into an ereader only because my house is small and I am running out of places to put the purchases I have to make because either my library doesn't have it or I know I am just going to want to reread it over and over again.

message 27: by Chachic (new)

Chachic | 353 comments Shannen wrote: "I've given some thought to the iPad but I worry about it being backlit and eyestrain. The Kindle is just like looking at a page in the book. I'm a gadget kind of girl (in case that isn't obvious)..."

Yeah, Kindle has e-ink technology so they say it's just like looking at a book page. But aren't other e-reader brands like that too? Like Sony?

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (ShannyBananny71) Chachic wrote: "Yeah, Kindle has e-ink technology so they say it's just like looking at a book page. But aren't other e-reader brands like that too? Like Sony? "

I'm not sure about the other e-readers. I went with the Kindle because it was just so darn easy. I might look into a different e-reader if my library starts offering e-books.

message 29: by Chachic (new)

Chachic | 353 comments I'm interested in the Kindle because they're now available internationally but some people have complaints about it. Like they say that even if you buy the ebooks from Amazon, it still belongs to Amazon. Like if your Kindle dies and you buy a new one, you won't be able to keep the ebooks in your old one.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments Bluemoon wrote: "hehehehe...Heidi you're COOL...There I said it no takies backies...^_^

We can both be cool cause we like holding our books in both our hands and flipping the pages."

Awww...right back at you Blue Moon :)

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (ShannyBananny71) See, Heidi. You're cool. If Bluemoon says so, it must be true. :)

I have to say that I do not miss holding books and turning pages. They always cramped my hands and fingers. The only thing I miss is being able to flip through a book to find a part that I want to read (and I really do miss that).

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments Shannen I will also trust you about the coolness thing because you like Peeta. That makes you smarter than the average bear.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments Bluemoon wrote: "hehehehe....we book handlers need to stick together. ^_^"

Yes we do!

message 34: by Chachic (new)

Chachic | 353 comments I like holding books and turning pages too! So does that make me cool as well? Also, I don't know if this is weird but I even like the smell of books.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments Chachic - you are totally cool! If I buy a new book - I also take a whiff of it a few times here and there while reading. I thought that was normal - like smelling glue or markers. If the book is from the library - not so much smelling there! But, my cat LOVES the smell of library books. He practically falls on top of me trying to smell them.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments I'm the same way Chachic. I love the smell of books, and have tried an ereader and I don't think it's for me. I read the entirety of 1984 on one and really, I would only use it for travel.

If I own a book I like to underline passages I like, make notes for friends to check out while they read it (or for myself as i re-read it years later) But I also take full advantage of libraries because I don't want to own a book that I will never read again.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments Ahh...the smell of bookstores...the coffee...the books. I was just at Borders tonight and it is so inviting. p.s. I used a 40% off CD's coupon to buy two cd's -- score for me!

message 38: by Chachic (new)

Chachic | 353 comments Yay, I'm cool! I love the smell of new books. I always smell the ones that I read. I love the smell of bookstores too.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Okay, so confession, I live in a small town with zero big box stores. Is it awful that I actually go to my local bookstore to look around (and indulge in a crepe and a cup of java), then when I figure out what I want to buy I go to amazon because it's actually about 40% cheaper.

I mean, I'm all about supporting local, but I'm 24 and single and I have bills!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments Brittany - I am all about the Amazon. I buy most of my items there (CD's, books, Christmas gifts). Don't feel bad about. Times are tough!

message 41: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Sheesh guys quit trashing my purchase! Cuts me straight to the bone it does.

The Sony's do do the same but the price of books for Sony are 4-10 more expensive. Plus, the prices were either higher or a little bit lower than the Kindle. I ordered from Amazon because their customer service is awesome. I heart Amazon.

I can leave notes and look up words and do basic internet browsing on the Kindle, too. Oh, and you can back up your books. Amazon keeps them on their server but you can save them yourself also. There are other lesser brands out there but I was afraid to buy them in case something happened then I'd be stuck with an very expensive brick.

message 42: by Chachic (new)

Chachic | 353 comments No, that's totally okay! Amazon is cheaper that local bookstores? 40% is a huge discount. I'd probably do the same if I were in the same situation. If I ordered from Amazon, the shipping would cost as much as if not more than the book.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments Ok Peep. I think I am done bothering you about the Kindle. I hope you enjoy it. Really. I am serious.

OR am I?? (*rubs hands together accompanied with creepy laugh).

message 44: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments I saw that dig in the other thread! And here I thought you were my friend!

Hey on a side note Saturday we got my daughters ears pierced. I can't wear fake jewelry so I got her real gold as I didn't want to find out whether or not she was allergic. I told the lady she can't wear fake jewelry. Today I was trying to figure out why she was getting a rash around her ears. Thought about it and called and guess what? The stinkin' post thing in the back is gold plated! Argh! Why don't people listen? And I had to break a personal vow and go to Walmart for plastic backings. I was tempted to just use erasers. Hopefully her ears will clear up in a day or two. Ok, I'm done yapping.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments wow... no credit card?? I didn't even know that was possible these days. Good for you!

message 46: by Chachic (new)

Chachic | 353 comments Peep wrote: "I saw that dig in the other thread! And here I thought you were my friend!

Hey on a side note Saturday we got my daughters ears pierced. I can't wear fake jewelry so I got her real gold as I didn'..."

Peep, you have a personally vow against Walmart?

message 47: by Chachic (new)

Chachic | 353 comments Brittany wrote: "wow... no credit card?? I didn't even know that was possible these days. Good for you!"

Me too! I can't imagine not having a credit card. I mean I don't use mine that often but still.

message 48: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Yes, I try to shop local or even online if I can help it. I love in a small town so it was my only option. I'm sure I could have found a suitable replacement at one of our many hardware stores but you know desperate times and all....

message 49: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments I hadn't been in the store in a while, everything looked so different. I got weak and wanted pistachios but then they wanted nearly seven bucks for them. I left without the pistachios.

message 50: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Chachic wrote: "Brittany wrote: "wow... no credit card?? I didn't even know that was possible these days. Good for you!"

Me too! I can't imagine not having a credit card. I mean I don't use mine that often but..."

We have credit cards but they are for emergencies only. We do use our debit cards more than we write checks though.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Dark Divine (other topics)
The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (other topics)
Alanna: The First Adventure (other topics)
In the Hand of the Goddess (other topics)
Lioness Rampant (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robert Munsch (other topics)