The Sword and Laser discussion

The Windup Girl > Favorite character?

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jlawrence, S&L Forum Mod (last edited Mar 20, 2010 01:51PM) (new)

Jlawrence | 804 comments Mod
It's hard for me to choose between Emiko and Jaidee - but I think I'd have to say Jaidee. From that first moment we meet him on the anchor pads, as he grinningly smashes open the shipment crates and gradually lets the customs men figure out who he is - he totally won me over. Which also made his story even more moving.

Who's yours?

message 2: by Nemaruse (last edited Mar 21, 2010 12:21AM) (new)

Nemaruse Neoxeekhrobe Hulkonnowolf | 33 comments Well for me its Emiko for being such a helpless being who not only has to escape but has to learn how to fight for her survival and how to escape and where to.

But if you are talking about all the characters then I would say it has to be Somachi. Its one thing to stand against difficulties for yourself, its totally a separate thing when you are there for someone else.

Brew | 44 comments I am not too far into the book just yet, but so far the character that I find compelling is Hock Seng. I am being drawn in by his struggle between survival and scheming to improve his lot. Very interested to see how his arc develops.

Rick Pasley (hikr3) | 71 comments I ended the book not liking any of the characters very much. Each had flaws deep enough to make me glad they weren't my neighbor! I was happy for Emiko finding the small peace she was able to find, and I did enjoy Hock Seng's story, but my favorite character would have to be the world the story takes place in. I would read another story set in this world, but I don't think I would want to read any more about any of the characters from this story.

message 5: by Micah (last edited Mar 25, 2010 09:32AM) (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1064 comments Mine was Jaidee. The Tiger seemed a little harsh when you first met him. A very stern and serious man, I thought he would turn out to be a bad guy for sure. But as his arc progressed I found myself becoming more and more attached to him. The absoluteness that he felt in his soul. When it came to his work it was either black or white. Nothing else. I find myself wishing i faced more decisions like that in my life.

Philip (heard03) | 381 comments It's Emiko for me, Jaidee buying the farm 2/3 of the way through the book hurt his chances significantly. Killing Jaidee so soon was a poor choice in my opinion since he and Emiko were the only characters in the book I could get behind. His post-mortem apparitions were as annoying to me as they were to his Lieutenant.

Kevin Ashby | 91 comments Hock Seng is a survivor - love that guy!

Spooner | 1 comments I could relate to both Hock Seng and jaidee. Some days I feel like Hock Seng, it seems like I just can't catch a break and my timing is off for everything. Other days I feel like Jaidee, an incredible fighter that can conquer anything in my path.

Alexenko | 3 comments Anderson and Hock Seng! Jaidee was an entertaining character not my favorite :(

message 10: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1080 comments Mod
Jaidee and Anderson.

Sandi (Sandikal) | 1107 comments I'll probably spell the name incorrectly because I listened to it on audio book instead of reading it, but I thought Kanya was the most interesting and well-developed character.

Glenn Zigli | 1 comments Jaidee and Hock Song. Anytime the book was updating me on Hock Seng I was always intently listening (audio book)

Michael H-D | 7 comments I liked Gi Bu Sen (not a major character, I know) just because he was so fascinating. I mean, I didn't like the guy, but he had the right idea at the end, and (possibly?) saved humanity by agreeing to make a line of fertile Windups.

Andre (AndreB) | 34 comments Jaidee was definitely my favorite character. I think his dying was a good fit for the story, and I love how he stayed on as Kanya's conscience.

Hock Seng was fascinating and seemed to be one of the most developed. From the Acknowledgments page it sounds like he was originally the least developed, but revisited by Bacigalupi after bringing it to a writer's group.

Welwyn Katz | 46 comments Hock Seng. He's complex enough to support the story. Interesting about bringing stuff to a writers' group. They can be really helpful.

Taueret | 58 comments Hock Seng was my favourite too. There are characters like him, who may even be him, in 'yellow card man' and another short story called ?? in "Pump Six and other stories". the short stories in that book give a different angle on the backstory to the Windup Girl.

unread topics | mark unread