American Historical Fiction discussion

Civil War

Comments (showing 1-43 of 43) (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara (last edited Mar 19, 2010 07:27PM) (new)

Tara Chevrestt | 121 comments How about a separate topic for yet another favorite historical fiction subject: The Civil War. Some of my favorite reads: The Notorious Mrs. Winston by Mary Mackey The Widow's War by Mary Mackey All Other Nights  A Novel by Dara Horn and one of the best books of 2009 and ya'll MUST check it out: Jarrettsville by Cornelia Nixon

message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt | 121 comments Jarrettsville for those that cannot see that bottom book very well. It was superb. About a murder that occurs right after the war. A lost story gone bad and North vs South feelings running very high.

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Q (Jenny_Q) | 564 comments Mod
I've heard lots of good things about Jarrettsville! My library has it, so I hope to get to it sometime this year. I've been wanting to check out All Other Nights, too. Here is a book I discovered last year about the lesser known war in Missouri, which was a border state, and thus sent troops to fight on both sides of the war, and thus neither army trusted any of the citizens. It was an excellent book and I loved it:
Enemy Women  A Novel (P.S.) by Paulette Jiles

message 4: by Jenny (new)

I haven't read this yet, but the miniseries is one of my all-time favorites! I picked a hardcover copy of this up at the library sale for $1.
North and South (North and South, #1) by John Jakes

message 5: by Jenny (new)

I checked this book out last week and hope to get to it soon. My mother-in-law is reading it now so I'm waiting to see what she thinks of it.
The Black Flower  A Novel of the Civil War by Howard Bahr

message 6: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt | 121 comments I wasn't fond of Enemy Woman. I don't know if I chose the wrong publisher or what but there was no quotation marks whatsoever in my copy. And it was a hardback, not an arc.

message 7: by Jenny (new)

No, there were no quotation marks. I found that annoying at first but I quickly got used to it. Sorry you didn't like it!

message 8: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt | 121 comments I gotta have quotation marks!!!! Pet peeve of mine. :)

message 9: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 236 comments Tara wrote: "I gotta have quotation marks!!!! Pet peeve of mine. :)"

Oh that would have drove me nuts. I think I read the Jakes books waaaaaay back in the days, or maybe it was just the mini series I recall. I'd really like to see more but I hear publishers are gun shy of topics like slavery and the *N* word.

There's an oldie that I tried once and couldn't get into but I'll mention it anyway,

Raintree County Part A (Library by Ross Lockridge

There's also the Shaara trilogy, although its very much battles and warfare and terribly bloody. I am glad I read it as I had no idea how god-awful bloody it was but I'd never read them again.

The Civil War Trilogy  Gods and Generals / The Killer Angels / The Last Full Measure by Jeff Shaara

message 10: by Jenny (new)

I've been keeping my distance from the Shaara books, though my husband has them. I've been thinking they're too much battle and tactics for me. Did you like the stories?

message 11: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 236 comments Jenny, I enjoyed them but they are brutal and it broke my heart how much suffering happened through the bloody incompetence of Generals and the military in general. Civil war, while fascinating, is also very painful. It's brother against brother, neighbor against neighbor, etc. Same with the English Civil War(s).

Like I said, I'm glad I read them and had my eyes opened but I could never put myself through that again, especially Gettysburg. *shudders*

message 12: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt | 121 comments I read a Civil War novel recently that I had some issues with but I will mention it anyway. Just because it wasn't for me, doesn't mean others won't like it. It is: The Widow of the South and I think the same author wrote another civil war novel, but I haven't read it yet: A Separate Country.

message 13: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 236 comments I've seen mixed reviews on A Separate Country and haven't decided if I want to try it or not.

message 14: by Dru (new)

Dru Jenny wrote: "I checked this book out last week and hope to get to it soon. My mother-in-law is reading it now so I'm waiting to see what she thinks of it.
[bookcover:The Black Flower: A Novel of the Civil War|..."

I have this one on my shelf and am looking forward to reading it.

I really liked both Widow of the South and A Seperate Country.....I read North and South years ago. Thanks for all the great suggestions here.

message 15: by Jenny (new)

I've been wanting to read both of those Hicks books. My library has them and I'd like to read at least one of them this year.

message 16: by Dru (new)

Dru I liked "Widow" better than "Separate"...although both have their good points. Robert Hicks has a website that is worth checking out.

I enjoyed Enemy Women too. :)

message 17: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt | 121 comments Here's another one. I have a copy. It's a pricey book and seems no one else has ever read it. I didn't like the racism in it, but it is Woman Soldier. I'm quite frankly tired of the Confederate viewpoint. I think that is why I'm not enjoying them much. I'm a Yankee sympathizer. LOL

message 18: by Sally Cabot (new)

Sally Cabot (sallycabotgunning) Although not about the Civil War (early 20th century Texas) Paulette Jiles next book after Enemy Women, Stormy Weather: A Novelis great and has quote marks. Haven't read the newest.

message 19: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt | 121 comments Sally, I will check that out. That "no quotation marks" thing just doesn't work for me. LOL. I'm glad to hear this one does. I will take a look.

message 20: by Jenny (new)

No one has mentioned it here yet, probably because it's so obvious, but Gone With the Wind is not only a fantastic Civil War novel, but IMO, one of the best novels ever written. If you haven't read it, you're missing out!

message 21: by ToniS (new)

ToniS | 7 comments I haven't read Gone With the Wind yet, but it's on my list. I've been waiting for the perfect time when I can devote a month to it...

message 22: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt | 121 comments I mentioned this book in the topic Upcoming releases but in case anyone has missed it, it also happens to be a Civil War novel, My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira. I'm reading it right now and so far, so good.

message 23: by Jenny (new)

Tara wrote: "I mentioned this book in the topic Upcoming releases but in case anyone has missed it, it also happens to be a Civil War novel, My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira. I'm reading it right now..."

I would like to read this one. I think the synopsis said she travels to DC and I haven't read anything set in DC during the Civil War. Let us know what you think of it!

message 24: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 236 comments I've been hearing good things about this one. BTW, its an older book and while not the greatest still enjoyable for those interested in this period.

The Glory Cloak: A Novel of Louisa May Alcott and Clara Barton

message 25: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt | 121 comments A different take on Little Women?

message 26: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 236 comments Tara wrote: "A different take on Little Women?"

Something like that. It's been about 4-5 years and I've never read LW.

message 27: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt | 121 comments Ok, I posted a book up there, Woman Soldier... For any of you ladies that are interested, I am giving you the heads up.. I have posted it on goodreads swap. First come, first serve.

❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ This is my fav era and I really don't know why.

message 29: by Jenny (new)

I just ordered all of my summer pool/beach reads and one of them is an older romance by Heather Graham, One Wore Blue. It's the first of a trilogy about the Civil War.

message 30: by Phair (new)

Phair (SPhair) | 35 comments There's a Young Adult novel which is set more on Civil War 'home front' than war itself that I really enjoyed: Evvy's Civil War . Very much about the women's pov

I also read: Cut to the Heart: Clara Barton and the Darkness of Love and War which followed Clara Barton's efforts to improve war-time medical care and sanitation but also had a side story that got a bit nasty at times. This was a one-off by Dianne Day who wrote the Fremont Jones series.

❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ All three sound really good

I'm reading Candle in the Darkness

message 32: by Karen (new)

Karen Allen (KarenLynnAllen) | 15 comments Hi, Jenny suggested I post information about my novel, Beaufort 1849 Beaufort 1849, a novel of antebellum South Carolina by Karen Lynn Allen, on this thread for those that might be interested. Though it may be mysterious why I'm putting it on a Civil War thread (after all, 1849 is closer to the Mexican-American War than the Civil War) the book heavily foreshadows the Civil War and deals with issues of secession. The book's description:

After years abroad, Jasper Wainwright returns to Beaufort, South Carolina, home of his unruly youth. Slavery and Sea Island cotton have made this summer seat of plantation owners one of the wealthiest and most cultured cities in America . . . and also the most hotheaded, secessionist city in the South.

Jasper’s cousin, Henry Birch, wants him to marry his niece, Cara, a pianist and the prettiest girl in the county. Believing slavery doomed, Jasper has no desire to settle in the South again and so resists both Henry’s matchmaking and his growing fascination with Cara. Then anonymous letters in The Charleston Courier give Jasper an inkling that maybe the South could change.

Though his freed slave, Jim, who travels with him, is antsy to leave, Jasper lingers in Beaufort. Amid a whirl of parties, waltzes and duels, Cara is never far from his eyes or his thoughts. As cries for secession grow louder, Jasper works desperately to convince Beaufort planters that gradual emancipation and transition to a wage-based economy could avert the coming storm of war. Will Beaufort be another Pompeii, its civilization disappearing in a cataclysm it refuses to foresee?

I would be glad to answer questions, discuss my research for the book, or even talk about the town of Beaufort (a lovely place, if you've never been there!)

message 33: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Petersen (ChristopherDavidPetersen) | 1 comments I love American History and did a search and found this group... Awesome!

The Civil war is one of my favorite era's, so much so, I also wrote a fiction book relating to it called, "Tear in Time".

It's about a modern day doctor who unwittingly travels back to 1862. He meets an old Civil War doctor and the two become friends. They move through one infamous battle (Gettysburg, Antietam, etc.) to another, as they both try to get the modern day Doc back to his time.

This was an exciting book for me because I was really able to immerse myself in that world, way beyond any of the TV shows or books I've read. Your imagination is way more entertaining than anything the media can provide (for me anyway).

If anyone is interested, it's available at Amazon or Smashwords. Here's the link. If anyone decides to read it, I'd love to hear what you have to think about it.

Amazon: Tear in Time.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LZ55C8

Smashwords: Tear in Time.
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

message 34: by Moon (new)

Moon | 5 comments The Civil War is my favorite era to read when it comes to American history, fictional or otherwise. Some of my favorite books are:

Gone with the Wind
Widow of the South
Cane River
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Yes, it's a guilty pleasure, hehe.)

But I'm always on the lookout for more great reads!

message 35: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (goose29) | 1 comments I was wondering if anyone had any good recomendations for a book about the Civil War? I am looking for something to reccomend to a high school girl - something she can realate to but also that will help her learn about the time period. Any and all suggestions welcome...

message 36: by Tara (new)

message 37: by Diana (new)

Diana Ballew (DianaBallew) | 12 comments Hi all-

It’s a particularly happy day. Why? Because my Civil War romance was voted Historical Book of the Month at iBookBuzz.com!

Thorns of Eden is a steamy tale of passion and intrigue set during the Peninsula Campaign of 1862 in Tidewater, Virginia. The novel was up against wonderful books penned by terrific authors, so I feel quite blessed.

Thanks to everyone that voted.

Diana Ballew
www.dianaballew.com

message 38: by Diana (new)

Diana Ballew (DianaBallew) | 12 comments Jenny wrote: "No one has mentioned it here yet, probably because it's so obvious, but Gone With the Wind is not only a fantastic Civil War novel, but IMO, one of the best novels ever written. If you..."

You're absolutely right, Jenny! GWTW is (and always will be) my favorite!

message 39: by Diana (new)

Diana Ballew (DianaBallew) | 12 comments ToniS wrote: "I haven't read Gone With the Wind yet, but it's on my list. I've been waiting for the perfect time when I can devote a month to it..."

And you DO have to read GWTW. You're right, Toni-- you'll need to carve out some time, but it's soooo worth it!

message 40: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 62 comments Jillian wrote: "I was wondering if anyone had any good recomendations for a book about the Civil War? I am looking for something to reccomend to a high school girl - something she can realate to but also that will..."

Bruce Cattontrilogy Mr Lincoln's Army by Bruce Catton Glory Road (Army of the Potomac 2) by Bruce Catton A Stillness at Appomattox  The Army of the Potomac Trilogy by Bruce Catton Highly readable but if you are looking for something a little shorter The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara Both Michael Shaara and Bruce Catton are noted authorities on the Civil War.

message 41: by Mary (last edited Sep 30, 2011 05:28AM) (new)

Mary (MaryBT) | 40 comments Misfit wrote: "I've been hearing good things about this one. BTW, its an older book and while not the greatest still enjoyable for those interested in this period.

[book:The Glory Cloak: A Novel of Louisa May ..."

I've read so many of the books listed here that I guess you all must have good taste! lol. I'll check out the ones you all listed that I haven't read.

I loved loved loved Enemy Women by Paulette Jiles. The no quotes thing was difficult but it forces you to pay attention.

North and South Trilogy by John Jakes was awesome! I read the whole trilogy in about 3 weeks or something crazy.

I didn't see "Mary: A Novel" by Janis Cooke Newman (I think) - that was also very good.

Another excellent book is The Widow of the South by Robert Hicks. I couldn't put that one down. I wasn't as fond of his second book (the title of which escapes me at the moment), but it wasn't bad.

I liked The Notorious Mrs. Winston as well. It was intriguing ...

I thought The Glory Cloak was terrible.

I have put Mary Sutter on my wishlist and then taken it off a hundred times. I keep reading that there are some graphic discussions of gore. Which I know is factual, but it's not really my thing.

message 42: by Jenny (last edited Sep 30, 2011 05:31AM) (new)

Mary, I can't remember being put off by any gore in Mary Sutter. Nothing I hadn't read before or seen in movies. I've been wanting to check out Hicks's novels. The second one is A Separate Country. I wanted to read it because it's about John Bell Hood. And I loved Enemy Women, too! A very different Civil War story. The border states get overlooked a lot and I think they were probably the toughest places to live.

message 43: by Mary (last edited Sep 30, 2011 05:33AM) (new)

Mary (MaryBT) | 40 comments Yes, A Separate Country! Thank you - that was driving me crazy. It wasn't nearly as good as The Widow of the South but it wasn't terrible or anything.

I live in Cass County Missouri - which was part of the border wars, obviously - and the story hasn't died here. But, yes, there's not a lot of Civil War fiction written about it. Missouri had some skirmishes that were a pretty big deal in the war.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

All Other Nights (other topics)
The Widow's War (other topics)
Jarrettsville (other topics)
The Notorious Mrs. Winston (other topics)
Enemy Women (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Bruce Catton (other topics)