Reading the Chunksters discussion

General > Introductions

Comments (showing 501-550 of 845) (845 new)    post a comment »

message 501: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Greece! For three weeks! Nice. :)

message 502: by Gen (new)

Gen (Gen454) Hello!

My name is Genevieve, I love to read chunksters books. I am very glad I found your group and that you also read classic books.

message 503: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Welcome Genevieve! Love your name, it's beautiful.

message 504: by Gen (new)

Gen (Gen454) Thank you.

message 505: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 281 comments Hello Gen or do you prefer Genevieve? I hope you are joining us for Mists of Avalon! :D

message 506: by MountainShelby (new)

MountainShelby A compulsive reader from Colorado . . . glad to find a group that's willing to tackle some of the larger classic BIG texts. I was a huge fan of the chunksters growing up. 30+ years later, gulp, I am happy again to be losing myself in a chunkster. About two years ago I said to a colleague, "I am so tired, it's not like I can go home and read The Brothers Karamazov." And then I thought, well why not? I do not want to keep adding to "the retirement reading list". . . the list is too long anyway . . . so I've been making time for reading again. That means I've had to dispense with some activities, but you make choices . . .

message 507: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Welcome MountainShelby! I LOVE your profile pic. He/she reminds me of my beautiful shepherd who passed last summer. He had more black in the face but a similar coat texture. My old boy loved the snow too! We rescued him at 2-2.5yo from a GSD rescue. I love rescue dogs. Our current pup is from petfinder. We keep going back and forth about adopting another but haven't yet. I also used to volunteer at a no-kill shelter in my 20s.

Welcome again :)

message 508: by Shea (new)

Shea | 74 comments Tasha, we got our wonderful mutt (coincidentally named "Tasha") from Petfinder. It is a wonderful site. We got her as a puppy and she is a little over 2 now. She is the best dog ever.

message 509: by Tasha (new)

Tasha That's too funny MtShelby! Growing up I always heard of dogs named Tasha, not as much these days. Coincidentally too, I happened to change my profile pic to my old boy, check him out. :)

message 510: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I'm from the south, but live in the midwest now. Love to read -- mostly mysteries & history, but will read most anything anymore. Looking forward to getting to know those in this group and participating in some group reads with you, hopefully.

message 511: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Welcome Martha! You came at a great time. Two reads just getting started and getting ready for a read in the fall. :)

message 512: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 281 comments Martha wrote: "I'm from the south, but live in the midwest now. Love to read -- mostly mysteries & history, but will read most anything anymore. Looking forward to getting to know those in this group and particip..."

Yes, welcome Martha...and, the poll is still up for the Fall read, if you'd like to vote!!! :D

message 513: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) Thanks, Tasha & Stephanie! Yes, I had started The Mists of Avalon last month, but it's slow going. I like the pace you set on here for the chunky reads.

message 514: by Tasha (last edited Aug 18, 2011 03:48PM) (new)

Tasha Welcome Nicole! I also worked in addictions, for about 10 years. I also made a change out of there in my 30s. It's intense! 10 years is enough to last a lifetime! But I did really meet and work with some very special people who I still think about today. Also very sad losing some, never being able to connect with others and just plain frustrating at times.

Definitely join in on the Mists read!

We count 500+ as chunksters. :)

message 515: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Hey Nicole, no problem! After I left 'the field' believe it or not, I went thru a temp agency to fill in time while I thought about what I wanted to do and i ended up at a great place and eventually worked there full-time for years. It was a real estate title insurance company. I did paperwork that did not require a degree AND it paid better than my old profession, which by the way, I spent YEARS studying and training (and money) for! And I loved the job, it had very little stress and I could leave the work (mentally and emotionally) at the job when I left at 5pm! Free weekends too. :) good luck on your search for the next good thing!

Check out the Mists thread. It's broken down in weeks/chapters and each week is highlighted very well by Stephanie! She is doing a great job as a mod by the way! Thanks Stephanie :)

message 516: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 281 comments Check out the Mists thread. It's broken down in weeks/chapters and each week is highlighted very well by Stephanie! She is doing a great job as a mod by the way! Thanks Stephanie :)

Thanks! :D I am co-moderating with Amanda and she'll be doing the next two weeks! I have been having fun moderating! :D

Um...what's addictions?

message 517: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 281 comments Nicole wrote: "Hi Tasha :D
You're right it can be both very rewarding work at times and also very, very trying. Some days I love it and others I want to be as far away from it as possible all while wishing I th..."

Don't forget to vote in the poll for a Fall Chunkster...if you haven't already, Nicole, right now two delicious books are neck 'n neck :P

message 518: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Stephanie, addictions just means those addicted to drugs and/or alcohol. :) or other things...

message 519: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 281 comments oh i see...thank-you for explaining.

message 520: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wow, I am way hehind on all our wonderful knew members. I just wanted to wish Nicole, Martha, Shelby, Nina, and Genevieve a great big warm welcome!!! It's so nice to have you all as part of our group. I'm up to my ears in work and it has caused me to get behind over here, I apologize in the delay of welcoming you all. Please feel free to yell if you have any questions....

message 521: by Tasha (new)

Tasha @Nicole, there is definitely hope for you! You'll find something good. :) I love your avatar by the way, so cute!

message 522: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama | 19 comments Hello from Tokyo! I'm Gaijinmama, from Connecticut and Los Angeles but living permanently in Japan. I teach English at a couple of universities, and I'm Mom to two beautiful bicultural kids.
If you check out my shelves you'll see how eclectic my tastes are. I'll read anything, as long as it's good, and I do tend to prefer longer novels. Freaks my students out when I show them what I'm lugging around in my bag! I like Big Books and I cannot lie. (sorry, am I allowed to rap in this group?)
Several of your current books are in my TBR so this is a great incentive to get to them, finally.
Uncle Silas, here I come!

message 523: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 281 comments we love rappers! Lovely to meet you Gaijimmama! :D

message 524: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Hi All!

I'm Mikki and live in NYC where the apartments are tiny and there's never enough room for books. Very happy to have found a group that will help in pushing me to read the wonderful hefty classics that I'd been avoiding!

message 525: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) Hey, Mikki, glad to see you here!!

message 526: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Thanks, Judy!

message 527: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (kelleyls) | 12 comments Hi, I'm Kelley. I'm a museum consultant from DC, living with 2 kitties and a husband. I've been wanting to read Mists of Avalon for so long, but it's too late for me to jump in now. Hoping to participate in your next group read!

message 528: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiColeman) Welcome Kelley! I hope you do join us for the next reads! Be sure to look around and get aquainted!

message 529: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 262 comments Kelley, couldn't you still read it on your own schedule and just check the posts for each section as you read them? That is what I would do!

message 530: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 262 comments Now here is my introduction post... I am Rosemary living in Oxford, UK. I like to read but also to write, so this month I am not reading but doing National Novel Writing Month :-)

message 531: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiColeman) Rosemary wrote: "Kelley, couldn't you still read it on your own schedule and just check the posts for each section as you read them? That is what I would do!"

In addition to that, you can always add comments when you read the section, even if you are late to joining.

message 532: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 46 comments Wow, I can't believe I forgot to do this! Well, my name's Brandon and I live in the U.S. My favorite genres are fantasy, magic realism, and classics. I'm currently going to college. I love reading books that make me ruminate for hours at a time; and sometimes I write quotes that I love down in my "Quotable Quotes" notebook.

message 533: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiColeman) Brandon wrote: "Wow, I can't believe I forgot to do this! Well, my name's Brandon and I live in the U.S. My favorite genres are fantasy, magic realism, and classics. I'm currently going to college. I love reading ..."

Welcome Brandon! I need a Quotable Quotes notebook! Great idea!

message 534: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Brandon wrote: "Wow, I can't believe I forgot to do this! Well, my name's Brandon and I live in the U.S. My favorite genres are fantasy, magic realism, and classics. I'm currently going to college. I love reading ..."

WElcome! That's such a great idea, Brandon! I need a Quotable Quotes Notebook, too! :)

message 535: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 46 comments Thanks Kristi and Kathy! :) It's really nice to have a Quotable Quotes notebook because you'll never have to worry about what book the quote you were thinking about was in, or what page it was on. And, sometimes it's just nice to look at your favorite quotes when you're kinda down!

message 536: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (LorettaLucia) | 1026 comments Brandon wrote: "Thanks Kristi and Kathy! :) It's really nice to have a Quotable Quotes notebook because you'll never have to worry about what book the quote you were thinking about was in, or what page it was on. ..."

I use those colored Scotch tabs to mark my favorite passages in books. It makes flipping really easy. Of course, people always look at me funny when they see me doing that...

message 537: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 46 comments Loretta wrote: "Brandon wrote: "Thanks Kristi and Kathy! :) It's really nice to have a Quotable Quotes notebook because you'll never have to worry about what book the quote you were thinking about was in, or what ..."

My freshman high school English teacher made us do something like that! We used post it notes, and we had to mark our favorite quotes with them, and reply to them on the post it note! My books were always filled to the max with them...

And don't worry about what others think! I think it's a terrific idea!

message 538: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiColeman) Loretta wrote: "I use those colored Scotch tabs to mark my favorite passages in books. It makes flipping really easy. Of course, people always look at me funny when they see me doing that... "

I do that in books that I LOVE. Neither Wolf Nor Dog: On Forgotten Roads With an Indian Elder is FULL of tabs.

message 539: by Collene (new)

Collene | 10 comments I'm new here, I'm Collene and I live in Ohio but I'm not really a Buckeyes fan, I'm a reading fan. Love to read, but although chunkster's intimidate me I still read them and have a long list of ones I want to read.

message 540: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiColeman) Welcome Colleen! I hope we can help you with some of those Chunksters!

message 541: by Juliette (new)

Juliette | 256 comments Yay! A fellow Ohioan! Welcome!

message 542: by Cathie (new)

Cathie I'm Cathie. In the past I have read many of the books you have listed, and enjoyed them. Would enjoy being part of a discussion of similar books going forward.

I am an artist, hiker, new tennis player, rock climber,skier, and volunteer with the local search and rescue team. Love the outdoors. I am able to keep up with my reading via audio books on my phone.

message 543: by Collene (new)

Collene | 10 comments Juliette wrote: "Yay! A fellow Ohioan! Welcome!"

Juliette wrote: "Yay! A fellow Ohioan! Welcome!"

And I only live about 50 miles from Delaware. (I think)

message 544: by Diana S (new)

Diana S Hi, I'm Diana from Texas.

I haven't read to many "chunksters" but very interested in reading more of them. :)
Besides my love of reading, I love my volunteer work, cooking (consider myself a "Foodie") and fishing etc...
Recently my friends and I started a movie club and began to do birdwatching.

message 545: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I wanted to extend a belated warm welcome to all our new group members. I apologize for the delay, I was on vacation for the last week and a half. I'm excited to see so many new people and looking forward to getting to know you all better. I hope you feel welcomed to our group and comfortable! If you have any questions I'm always happy to help.

Andrea :)

message 546: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (DamnSatyr) Well, I reckon I should post something, since I want to stay a member!

I've been slacking on my group participation because I've been really pushing myself to read a lot this past year - and honestly with 'Chunksters' I like to sort-of take my time and savor them! But, with the year drawing to a close and just finishing up nearly a month early, I think I can slip in this month's in the next week or two. :)

So, at any rate - hello, hello! I'm Andrea (or Satyr, I suppose, if you want) and of course I love to read! I'll try and contribute to the discussion in whichever threads for the 'Chunkster' I decide to go with.

Thanks for having me. :)

message 547: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Welcome Andrea! We are glad to have you and look forward to seeing you around :)

message 548: by Mary (new)

Mary (Attorneymom) | 57 comments I just realized that I never introduced myself. So sorry!

I'm Mary, a native Texan, although Colorado is always calling and we hope to move there at some point. I have 3 kiddos who are active in school, choir, swimming, tae kwon do, dance, football, baseball, basketball, scouting, etc. I spend a lot of time in my car. : )

I am an appellate attorney and work part-time from home. My reading tends to slack off when I'm working on a big project, or at least, I tend to read "lighter" stuff.

What else? I have a fabulous husband who keeps me sane and a fabulous bloodhound who makes me smile. I enjoy running, tae kwon do, art and volunteering. And I DON'T enjoy housework. : )

I used to be intimidated by chunksters, but have read 3 this year ~ Gone With the Wind (fabulous!), The Woman in White (fabulous!) and I'm about 1/2 way through East of Eden (also fabulous!). I have really enjoyed digging into the longer books and hope to keep a chunkster going most of the time.

I'm looking forward to being part of this group!

message 549: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiColeman) Welcome Mary! Sounds like you have a lot going on in your life! I hope you have a blast in the group. Have you ever thought about audiobooks for in the car??

message 550: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniegirl77) | 14 comments My name is Danielle and I have been a member of this group for a while now. I have been bad about participating much because I have not kept up with the group reads like I should have. I will blame it on learning 2 new languages this past year. But now that I have the basics down I can do more “fun” reading and less “required” reading.

I have been reading other members thoughts on books that I have already read. I have gotten a few good insights that I hadn’t thought of before.

I promise to be a better member this coming year. :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Count of Monte Cristo (other topics)
The Pillars of the Earth (other topics)
Anna Karenina (other topics)
Anna Karenina (other topics)
The Stand (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Wilkie Collins (other topics)